The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PSA: Cartel Market Weapons Aren't Skins

KLoCascio

Hello!

So I'm new to the game, and I mistakenly purchased a weapon skin from Cartel Market; little did I know, that the "wardrobe" feature for SWTOR is not complete. In other words, I wasted 500 CC for a level 1 Cartel Market weapon, that I have 0 use for now. Unlike armor pieces you buy off of the Cartel Market, that you can apply to an outfit, the weapon can not be applied to your appearance.

So the first time I'm purchasing something from the Cartel Market, and I just get the middle finger from "Fernando" the in-game customer service agent: I was told that, 1. I am SOL, 2. Read better next time, and then the ticket is closed with no opportunity to respond.

This a great way to treat a new customer. Very disappointed that those credits are just gone now, and this all leaves me with a very poor impression.

Yep, I agree, the team is very talented at making bad impressions on new (and old) customers.

You are not totally SOL, however. You can unlock the weapon in your collections so that you can reclaim unlimited copies of it among all your legacy characters. This costs extra CC (400 for a gold item like those cartel market weapons) but at least it's an option.

And as the poster above pointed out, you can put mods in the shell so that it is as powerful as any other weapon.

Hope you have a better experience of SWTOR in the future. Despite the developers' efforts alienate their playerbase, there's still a lot of fun to be had playing this game. Cheers.

Edited by Hebruixe

Hello!

So I'm new to the game, and I mistakenly purchased a weapon skin from Cartel Market; little did I know, that the "wardrobe" feature for SWTOR is not complete. In other words, I wasted 500 CC for a level 1 Cartel Market weapon, that I have 0 use for now. Unlike armor pieces you buy off of the Cartel Market, that you can apply to an outfit, the weapon can not be applied to your appearance.

So the first time I'm purchasing something from the Cartel Market, and I just get the middle finger from "Fernando" the in-game customer service agent: I was told that, 1. I am SOL, 2. Read better next time, and then the ticket is closed with no opportunity to respond.

This a great way to treat a new customer. Very disappointed that those credits are just gone now, and this all leaves me with a very poor impression.

The CS agent could have explained it better, I agree.

However, CM weapons are just like CM armour shells - they are not "costume pieces" or "armour skins" like you find in some other games (e.g. Runes of Magic or Guild Wars 2). As the others above pointed out, they are empty shells with "sockets" into which you can plug modification objects: "armorings" for armour pieces and shield / generator / focus off-hands, "barrels" for blasters, rifles, HBG(0), scatterguns, and vibroknives(1), and "hilts" for lightsabres, vibroswords(1), and electrostaves; "Mods" (confusing, I know) for all shells, and "enhancements" for everything except belts and wrist armour(2). Despite that, the introduction somewhere along the way of the Outfit Designer muddied the waters by allowing you to use armour pieces just for their appearance, but you can use *any* armour piece for that, even full-powered fixed-stat stuff dropped by foes.

(0) Honking Big Guns, duh. The Commando's BFG, if you prefer.

(1) Vibroknives and Vibroswords, despite the names, are very different. Vibroknives are invisible off-hand weapons for Imperial Agents, corresponding to the Smuggler's (fussy: Scoundrel's) Scattergun, while Vibroswords are, well, swords that can be used by Sith and Jedi instead of one-bladed lightsabres.

(2) Vambraces. Some of them are *called* bracers, but that's a misnomer. A bracer (you only wear one) is armour for an archer's forearm to protect it from the archer's own bowstring.

Sign me up for this. Letting us put weapons in outfit slots might put more value on them. Swapping out mods is fine, but not all designs have them, and sometimes it would be nice to be able to match them to outfits more easily. I might be a force user wanting to wield a vibroblade when I get to Rishi and am mistaken for a pirate, or starting an Imperial Agent and want to use a different looking weapon when I swap armour for going undercover as the Red Blade.

Sign me up for this. Letting us put weapons in outfit slots might put more value on them.

I keep saying this:

NOT. IN. OUTFIT. SLOTS.

Weapon appearances should be in their own set of slots that can be switched independently of the outfit slots. I want to be able to switch weapon looks without switching armour looks, and vice versa.