MELEE vs RANGED

Alex_York

So what is it? Melee underpowered or ranged classes over powered? Mercs are op and snipers are up there, they not only have an advantage of range, but also are extremely mobile and have enormous damage and survivability. You can't have all. Are you even recognizing a problem here? Some classes are cannon fodder right now like Juggernauts, Sorcs and PTs and If you're a mara in anything except Fury spec (thx CC immunity) you are dead after your undying expires. Meanwhile Snipers are immune to CC, dish out crazy dmg, have rolls and are extremely mobile, can't be charged and have 3% passive heal. Mercs are well, you know how it is with them. OP's are not as big of a problem with fixed countermeasures. Sins are kinda alright now without stance bug. So what are you gonna do BioWare? Nerfing is not the answer, bring all the classes to Merc \ Sniper level and actually pay attention to BALANCE.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is that mercs (especially) have better or as good as defensive CDs as melee. They don't even have to move or kite. Both mercs and smipers (to a lesser extent) can face tank most melee now for far too long then can kite when needed. Add to that equal to or far better DPS and the volume of them in WZs and you have a recipe for disaster for melee.

I've had moments where as a Jugg, I've been fighting commandos and as soon as they are about to go down, they fully heal themselves. Snipers and Mercs are just as bad. I completely agree that Range has become "overpowered". PvP just isn't enjoyable when you see a pre-made full of mercs or commandos.

Part of the problem is that mercs (especially) have better or as good as defensive CDs as melee. They don't even have to move or kite. Both mercs and snipers (to a lesser extent) can face tank most melee now for far too long then can kite when needed. Add to that equal to or far better DPS and the volume of them in WZs and you have a recipe for disaster for melee.

I seen a decent mara pvp with sniper 1v1, sniper just toyed with him getting major heals and crazy dps in. He was 100% after the fight.

Personally I think that ranged classes should have their damage potential handicapped because of the fact that they're ranged. Playing Mercenary or Sniper in PvE is a joke compared to melee. Same applies for pvp - much better uptime, easy aoe avoidance, no chasing around running away enemy and dealing with lag. Imo current Sorc's dps is perfect and all ranged classes should have their's reworked to similar range.

I've had moments where as a Jugg, I've been fighting commandos and as soon as they are about to go down, they fully heal themselves. Snipers and Mercs are just as bad. I completely agree that Range has become "overpowered". PvP just isn't enjoyable when you see a pre-made full of mercs or commandos.

You should probably stop hitting them when their shield is up.

Im doing fine as Carnage, and seen people absolutely destroy as Anni so not sure why you think only Fury is an option.

anni's DPS output is mostly irrelevant if there's 1-2 healers involved. that goes for all dotspecs, and don't even try to fight a merc as anni, impossible to avoid their shield healing since you have like 4 dots

Im doing fine as Carnage, and seen people absolutely destroy as Anni so not sure why you think only Fury is an option.

CC Immunity, Carnage or Anni will not help you survive if you have 2-3 mercs in enemy team and you're the target number one. You will die, and you will die FAST.

CC Immunity, Carnage or Anni will not help you survive if you have 2-3 mercs in enemy team and you're the target number one. You will die, and you will die FAST.

Im marked all the time and do fine. CC immunity wont help againsy burst, and when played right Carnage > Fury as far as dps and burst go.

I have tried both Carnage and Fury. I do much better with Carnage. Ever since the Merc change, it is very hard to take one down. Only way to leap to a sniper is if they're moving. You have run to them while getting the **** shot out of you. You add 2 or 3 mercs and 2 healers, melee is toast. If I have a dedicated healer I can stay up. But you can get a merc down to practically dead he is back up to 75% and the healers get them back to 100. Same with Snipers. I am not the best Mara but I can hold my own and do well unless there a ton of mercs and healers in the WZ. Last night, we had two Maras, a Juggernaut and a deception sin. Other side. 2 healers and 2 mercs. We were done before it started. Even with 3 of us on the same target we couldn't take that merc down. Edited by Shepird

I have tried both Carnage and Fury. I do much better with Carnage. Ever since the Merc change, it is very hard to take one down. Only way to leap to a sniper is if they're moving. You have run to them while getting the **** shot out of you. You add 2 or 3 mercs and 2 healers, melee is toast. If I have a dedicated healer I can stay up. But you can get a merc down to practically dead he is back up to 75% and the healers get them back to 100. Same with Snipers. I am not the best Mara but I can hold my own and do well unless there a ton of mercs and healers in the WZ. Last night, we had two Maras, a Juggernaut and a deception sin. Other side. 2 healers and 2 mercs. We were done before it started. Even with 3 of us on the same target we couldn't take that merc down.

Carnage is the way to go IMO.

That being said i would rather face a merc then a GOOD sniper every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I think the only thing saving snipers from nerf screams is because of mercs and the skill needed is much higher.

Carnage is the way to go IMO.

That being said i would rather face a merc then a GOOD sniper every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I think the only thing saving snipers from nerf screams is because of mercs and the skill needed is much higher.

Yeah, if snipers were able to heal 2 full, they'd be stronger than mercs.

anni's DPS output is mostly irrelevant if there's 1-2 healers involved. that goes for all dotspecs, and don't even try to fight a merc as anni, impossible to avoid their shield healing since you have like 4 dots

Dots literally don't trigger the healing on either the energy shield or the reflect. The real problem is that the warrior rage generation does trigger the healing.

So what is it? Melee underpowered or ranged classes over powered? Mercs are op and snipers are up there, they not only have an advantage of range, but also are extremely mobile and have enormous damage and survivability. You can't have all. Are you even recognizing a problem here? Some classes are cannon fodder right now like Juggernauts, Sorcs and PTs and If you're a mara in anything except Fury spec (thx CC immunity) you are dead after your undying expires. Meanwhile Snipers are immune to CC, dish out crazy dmg, have rolls and are extremely mobile, can't be charged and have 3% passive heal. Mercs are well, you know how it is with them. OP's are not as big of a problem with fixed countermeasures. Sins are kinda alright now without stance bug. So what are you gonna do BioWare? Nerfing is not the answer, bring all the classes to Merc \ Sniper level and actually pay attention to BALANCE.

So what is it? Melee underpowered or ranged classes over powered?

If you only look at the range vs melee aspect, so the uptime on targets and kiting capabilities, melees are in a very good place.

With most melees you completely wreck sorcs and have super good uptimes on mercs. Its the fact that mercs and snipers dont really need to play like ranges because they have marauder level defensives that makes them so good.

On top you dont suffer from a lower dmg. potential. than melee.

Its not really the range that makes sniper and mercs so good, its their defensives and utlities.

Sniper has the best of all worlds. Best defensives, best dps, best utilities. (Why the **** is diversion an AOE, and why the **** do rotational 70% slows exist, and why the **** does this class has an rotational hardstun?!)

They both have what it takes to outplay each other, but it mostly requires cooldowns, which are not always up in 8v8.

Along with that stacking any class has been an issue for a long time, so if you go against a full Sniper/OP team while your team is mostly separated between every class it's going to feel a certain way.

Personally I think that ranged classes should have their damage potential handicapped because of the fact that they're ranged. Playing Mercenary or Sniper in PvE is a joke compared to melee. Same applies for pvp - much better uptime, easy aoe avoidance, no chasing around running away enemy and dealing with lag. Imo current Sorc's dps is perfect and all ranged classes should have their's reworked to similar range.

Your post makes absolutely no sence. Ranged classes damage should be equal to melee's but their abilities need to be casted and channeled again as they were before all this extreme mobility bs. Also I'm not sure are you just trolling with that 'sorc dps is perfect' because they're just awful atm. The damage is laughable and they cannot even off-heal anymore. If your vision of every ranged class is that they get shut down immediately once they are attacked then I suggest you'd try one in solo ranked first. After barrier and phase walk they are as good as dead.

:rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02: :rak_02:

Having a 6 second cc immunity is the only thing that fury has over the other two DCD wise, next to 6 second defense chance increase after using furious strike, both of these are offensive cool downs and require a target. So in reality if you have no target you have no more chance of survival than the other two specs.

That will never make a life or death difference like you're trying to mention.

Edited by Beyrahl

Welcome to Gunslingers and Commandos world for the LAST FIVE YEARS! Anyhow, I have no problems face them with my scoundrel. I suggest you just learn your class better.

I have tried both Carnage and Fury. I do much better with Carnage. Ever since the Merc change, it is very hard to take one down. Only way to leap to a sniper is if they're moving. You have run to them while getting the **** shot out of you. You add 2 or 3 mercs and 2 healers, melee is toast. If I have a dedicated healer I can stay up. But you can get a merc down to practically dead he is back up to 75% and the healers get them back to 100. Same with Snipers. I am not the best Mara but I can hold my own and do well unless there a ton of mercs and healers in the WZ. Last night, we had two Maras, a Juggernaut and a deception sin. Other side. 2 healers and 2 mercs. We were done before it started. Even with 3 of us on the same target we couldn't take that merc down.

Em, stealth? Seriously, people need to not complain if they do not use their brain.