Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Sneaky Patch Notes Added

TrixxieTriss

Guys,

Where is the Dev communication on this retrospective patch note added about War Zone Bolster.

Usually if you make a mistake with adding something to the patch notes you inform us with a Dev post.

There is no Dev post this time, it seems like you have tried to be sneaky and add it in hoping we wouldn't notice.

(I hope that isn't the case :()

This was added after the patch went live. If you had time to update the patch notes, you also had time to post that you had added it to the patch notes.

In case you missed it, Dulfy listed the patch notes before you changed them

http://dulfy.net/2017/01/23/swtor-game-update-5-1-patch-notes/

Your changed retrospective patch notes

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

Wether your intentions were nefarious or not, the impression is bad considering people are extremely upset with the change and it also seems to be broken on top of it. Trying to sneak them in makes you look like you are guilty of not announcing it earlier because you knew there would be backlash to this change.

What ever the reason, we need some communication asap about the change and Bolster being broken. Taking to long to get back to us will only make your lack of communication look worse.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their intentions are definitely nefarious. This is far from the first time they haven't included something in the patch notes the night before a patch, and then silently edited it in after the fact. It's terrible and dishonest and they should all be ashamed of themselves for pulling that BS.

It is hard to believe the change in the bolster was a last sec addition. It was surely planned. The patch notes in its regard are extremely undescriptive and it is not clear beside 232, how the f**k it functions.

Typical BW.

My main is mainly geared with 236 items, so bolster didn't change anything I could see. Same stats as on Fleet.

So you want to use 190 gear and game the system to get best stats? At least now gear matters.

No I didn't say that. Gear should matter based on the lvl of your character. 190 gear is essentially base lvl 65 gear, so it shouldn't Bolster to the cap.

At worst, people should be wearing the equivalent of base lvl 70 gear to get bolstered. The issue isn't so much what people are getting bolstered up to, it's about people not being bolstered down.

No, it means that Bolster raises your stats to a 232 rating... so if you're above that, you get nothing.

So then we're back to the same problem we had before where gear matters, and anyone under that rating will have trouble catching up. I thought they removed Expertise so that it would more about skill vs skill, not gear vs casual player in green and blues.

I agree that bolster should only take you so far, but that's what Ranked should be for. It's the same way in Operations, no Bolster in Hard Mode. You want to see the story, that's fine, find 7 more or queue for GF. You want to really be tested? Get into a Hard Mode Op and you just might be surprised how difficult it can be without the right gear, stats, augments, rotation, and raid awareness. The same should be said for Ranked, but I don't think Unranked should have a Bolster cap. Of course this is coming from a Casual PvP'er. I did do ranked in Wow, so I'm not a complete Baddie McBadderstien. :D

Edited by Airehn

I think accusing them of being sneaky might be stretching it a bit.

It would depend on when Dulfy got the notes. They could have had them all wrote up before the patch and then noticed they left something out or that they had an additional item they were going to do when they did the patch.

While I not always a fan of their, due to some things, I would first find out whether the patch notes were done before the patch actually went live as if they were things are always subject to change when a patch is actually added.

It would depend on when Dulfy got the notes. They could have had them all wrote up before the patch and then noticed they left something out or that they had an additional item they were going to do when they did the patch.

While I not always a fan of their, due to some things, I would first find out whether the patch notes were done before the patch actually went live as if they were things are always subject to change when a patch is actually added.

No, BioWare wouldn't mislead people now would they. Not like pre-5.0 when they talked and showed screenshots of 100 CxP levels, or put only 100 CxP levels on the PTS and then launched with... 300 CxP levels.

Sorry, but BW has a history of deception. Not buying it was an overlooked mistake.

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

I want to confirm that there were patch notes which were missed when we initially posted them. Tait and I are looking into how this happened. We have already added in any missing notes which we have caught up to this point. Before the end of the day today we will make sure to post a follow-up and list all of the notes we have added.

As for your question of the Bolster changes in Warzones, I am talking with the team today to get more information.

-eric

Yeah, it's not uncommon at all for them to revise patch notes on the fly, and they generally just update it and don't come back and tell everyone, nor do they put revision numbers on patch notes. Same is true for most MMOs to be honest.. and is completely separate from the generally substandard communications with the community here.

The only people that care here are people who disagree with a change they made, and want to do anything they can to call them out on it and try to get drama going.

Upset people can, and will, see conspiracy theories and boogie men behind every tree.

It will be nice when the subs of a few dozen very aggressively negative players on the forum lapse and they lose posting privileges. People have a right to express their concerns and ask for clarifications, but a lot of what I see right now is way over the top and vicious. And.. likewise, the studio is free to respond or not respond to any particular slathering of venom in a forum post too.

Some people want their pound of flesh, and they are not going to get it. Play or don't play, the choice is the players. Beyond that... the rest is largely a waste of time in the manner in which it is being pursued by some here.

Hey folks!

I want to confirm that there were patch notes which were missed when we initially posted them. Tait and I are looking into how this happened. We have already added in any missing notes which we have caught up to this point. Before the end of the day today we will make sure to post a follow-up and list all of the notes we have added.

As for your question of the Bolster changes in Warzones, I am talking with the team today to get more information.

-eric

Thank you for finally responding. This change has altered PvP terribly away from skill and please communicate with the team that this has to be reversed. What was snuck into the patch notes was something that was never going to stand and it's hard for us to believe that it's accidental when the notes are never missing neutral or QoL changes.

So you want to use 190 gear and game the system to get best stats? At least now gear matters.

Well a lot of PvPers asked for that for a long time but I would be willing to bet that it only happens now because the devs have decided that they want people to grind for filler. They sure didn't do it when I could easily prep in lowbies ahead of time.

Its funny. Gear mattered in PvP and had a RNG system a long time ago. Bioware made it better by getting rid of RNG and it made the game the most accessible I know of. Now they have done a complete 180 and put the old way on steroids. I'm glad I left and now I can probably shut down this account of my sons as he has been not interested since the patch either.

I've played over a dozen warzones since yesterday and haven't noticed any issues with bolster, it works fine now. Players are bolstered to 115k HP, and are encouraged to put in effort to get 240+ gear for the few additional stats. Pre-5.1, it was bugged in that 230 gear bolstered you better than 242 gear, now it is fine. Just because PvP players are the most vocal players doesn't mean they are right.

Edited by Jerba

I've played over a dozen warzones since yesterday and haven't noticed any issues with bolster, it works fine now. Players are bolstered to 115k HP, and are encouraged to put in effort to get 240+ gear for the few additional stats. Pre-5.1, it was bugged in that 230 gear bolstered you better than 242 gear, now it is fine. Just because PvP players are the most vocal players doesn't mean they are right.

They fixed a bug by making the system unfair.

The encourage would be "nice" if two things were posible:

* Get that better gear relative fast without RND

* Get WZ only with people in your situation

... and are encouraged to put in effort to get 240+ gear for the few additional stats. ...

Maybe for some of the hardcore but you guys are already well into Tier 3. Those that haven't made it out of Tier 1 are getting smeared. The word I'd use shares the same root but means quite the opposite.

Hope you like thinner queues because that's exactly what this is doing.

You have the set bonus gear you have and it's rarely advisable to sacrifice it for random purple... but then is set bonus just for people with good RNG- or is it a case of spending the most credits? PvP players wanted the higher gear and were striving for it- but then I guess you can make RNG do what you want if you just wish hard enough. PvP had Expertise for a reason pre 5.0. It was that while you did get a gear level (which was easily attainable) at the top, it was never about the gear you were wearing except as an entrance litmus test. It was about that person between keyboard and chair.

Pre 5.1- you had to face people on an even playing field. How terrible for you.

I suppose they could set up three new brackets based on ilvl. *thinks* No... that's far too intelligent. It would have to be based on Command Rank. SWTOR where PvP is not about skill or gear, it's all about luck.

Of course fracturing the end-game PvP community is a Thrilling idea. The queues will be positively flooded!

They fixed a bug by making the system unfair.

The encourage would be "nice" if two things were posible:

* Get that better gear relative fast without RND

But why should PvP players be excluded from the grind? Everyone else had to put up with it since 5.0, I don't see why PvP should receive a bolster that negates any gear. If the devs want to make the CXP grind exclusive to PvE, they might as well put Expertise back in, but then I would like to know why progression PvE players are being punished while everyone else does not need gear.

Edited by Jerba

Hey folks!

-eric

Well, I have an idea or two how that happened:rolleyes:

Make sure to really look into it, cause it hasn't been the first time. But good to know you at least own up to it :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.