The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any1 else wanna know what were paying for?

MVPddark

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Before u all sit there going troll.. troll.. troll, think about it... what is that £9 a month ur paying actually buying you that the £45 you paid to get the game didnt.... ur not getting any benifits, any added content or anything like that just teh ability to play the game you already bought

The £39.99 i paid up front pays for the initial license to use the software Bioware have authored.

The £8.99 a month goes towards server maintenance, staff and additional content, which despite your erroneous belief is incoming.

I guess from your post you are new to MMOs. Perhaps in future a bit of research would be helpful before you make a purchase.

Edited by Hellbrass

Not speaking for nobody, simply asking what exactly am i getting for the £45 i paid out for some discs.... read up before you post

Ok to put it bluntly your getting customer service if you need it and tech help with the game. Other things has well but that is the easiest way to put it.

Not ANOTHER person who doesn't understand the IT side of game hosting. May the gods have no mercy on those who post stupid crap.

No no. I totally understand OP. Companies should be able to use pixie dust and magical faeries to spawn their servers, their electrical requirements, and manpower out of thin air. The internet is a series of tubes that must be maintained by the plumbers union. What is this IT you speak of? I thought the game was magically beamed into my computer screen!

/sarcasm

*slams head on desk*

That would suggest that you would still be able to get to the drink inside without a straw... so in game terms the straw = bonus content, and the drink = prepaid content, therefore making your straw idea laughable as you cant get to the game content without paying more for it

then you're paying for a container to drink it out of, can't drink a puddle of coke off the ground. Regardless of that it's how they've chosen to run the MMO and if you don't like it....CAN I HAZ UR STUFF?

Your just not getting it are you... lmao Why pay for something you cant use? Please explain this to me. If i had walked away with the game i would not have been able to play UNLESS i paid more. The fact is more only NEEDS to be paid, so that the £45 million they make from you 1st million players, turns into £54 million thanks to the 1 million £9 monthly subscriptions.

Alright we get it, you don't like subscription plan on MMO and you found the concept stupid. That's fine.

People gave you answer about the reason and you think it does not justify the cost of a monthly fee, that's fine too and I can understand that.

There's no need to attack everyone that don't care about paying a sub for the month thought and generalizing the way you do. I don't see the reason why you're arguing on a point that a lot of MMO have done for years and still doing to this day. This debate won't change the way MMO payment method are made.

If you don't want to play, fine. I respect that. But your waisting your time in debate that won't change anything. I suggest you move along and let people who enjoy the game play the it and you find something that you like instead of this endless back and forth on why there's a subscription fee or why other have not.

Edited by DarkEonz

Not ANOTHER person who doesn't understand the IT side of game hosting. May the gods have no mercy on those who post stupid crap.

No no. I totally understand OP. Companies should be able to use pixie dust and magical faeries to spawn their servers, their electrical requirements, and manpower out of thin air. The internet is a series of tubes that must be maintained by the plumbers union. What is this IT you speak of? I thought the game was magically beamed into my computer screen!

/sarcasm

*slams head on desk*

And the upfront cost of the game doesn't cover these costs? Its not like im saying it should be 100% free... im saying should be one or the other, either they ask me to pay for a game, or they ask me to pay to be a member of a game...

Is this thread genuine? I mean really? I've seen alot of stupid whine posts on MMO forums before but this one must take the cake.

You're paying for:

1. Updated content, either in the shape of smaller additions of things like new weapons or armor to big content patches with new instances (flashpoints).

2. Almost 24/7 helpdesk assistance.

3. Server maintenance.

The very point of an MMO is that the game isn't finished when it's released. When you buy a single-player game, that's all you're getting. Any DLC you get will be paid for on the spot as will any expansion. With MMOs the additional content is constantly coming out...think of it as paying a monthly fee for a continual stream of DLC.

Don't like it? Don't sub....

Edited by Myrmedus

and the upfront cost of the game doesn't cover these costs? Its not like im saying it should be 100% free... Im saying should be one or the other, either they ask me to pay for a game, or they ask me to pay to be a member of a game...

your hopless go away , read your own thread the answer is there .

And the upfront cost of the game doesn't cover these costs? Its not like im saying it should be 100% free... im saying should be one or the other, either they ask me to pay for a game, or they ask me to pay to be a member of a game...

This is why so many people are in debt these days.

You never ever cover a rolling expenditure with a one-off income. If you're paying something continuously you make sure to have a continuous income to offset it, like paying bills on an apartment with income from a job.

Ummm you try running a bunch of servers and paying service provides for hosting services each month in order for people to play.

It's pretty standard for an MMO to charge a monthly fee because it is not free to keep those servers running.

If you come from the FPS world then most servers you play on are also paid for by the server owners and cost money.

Nothing comes free in this world, welcome to reality

Server cost is a fraction of what the month subscription is. So using the "Paying for the server hardware/maintenance" just doesn't cut it any more.

You have no idea the kind of technology and power hosting a game of this magnitude requires. Please stop posting.

Server cost is a fraction of what the month subscription is. So using the "Paying for the server hardware/maintenance" just doesn't cut it any more.

BioWare doesn't own the internet they're using. They need to pay an ISP for a high traffic link to the internet that's so amazingly over powered that it allows mass communication with little to no lag. (in theory)

Edited by OBLCDiomedes

The upfront cost, usually only covers the development, initial production costs to an MMO. THe sub fee is used to offset the cost of the huge bandwith requirements, servers, continued IT support for those server, content updates, etc.

I know you bring up those F2P games, but those still have microtransactions to make up the cost. Plus their servers are usually not top of line equipment, content updates are not as often and so forth.

You have no idea the kind of technology and power hosting a game of this magnitude requires. Please stop posting.

And you obviously don't understand how cheap hosting actually is compared to how much they make, as well as how much the developers are sat laughing at how much people like yourself are paying them for nothing

Edited by Meluna

And you obviously don't understand how cheap hosting actually is compared to how much they make, as well as how much the developers are sat laughing at how much stupid people like yourself are paying them for nothing, narrow minded idiots like yourself keep these lot rich lmao

ZOMG must be dat hosting im paying 4!!!!

You're still doing this? Either pay or don't.

Stop posting. Please.

Lol not as much as other games with much more demanding graphics with very good stability and way less problems with conection issues that 1000's are having currently in swtor.

Edited by Elgarr

And you obviously don't understand how cheap hosting actually is compared to how much they make, as well as how much the developers are sat laughing at how much stupid people like yourself are paying them for nothing, narrow minded idiots like yourself keep these lot rich lmao

ZOMG must be dat hosting im paying 4!!!!

Please explain how cheap hosting is for us.

Welcome to the world of business. Last time I checked EA/Bioware was not a charity that was just there to provide free entertainment to the people of the world. No, they are in business to make a profit. It isn't greedy, it is how the world works.

In case you don't get it, let me break it down. In order for people to buy stuff (like games), they have to go to work to make money. If the company they work for doesn't make money, they aren't going to be in business anymore and those employees will no longer have money to buy things.

In short, businesses operate to make a profit. If you don't like it, go live in a commune where you can get all you need to survive from the land. For the rest of us, we will stay in the modern world.

Here is a legit question.... *** am i paying for...

i go into gamestation to get this game coz my mate says its quite a fun mmo, to find that i am being asked to pay £45 for the game. Ok fine i can deal with that, new release title ect you expect to be paying £30 and up. However i then notice that you need to have an online subscription to play.... of £9 a month. So what have i paid £45 for?

This game is made by a bunch of greedy *****s just like that of WoW. They arnt happy enough to make the millions out of you by selling the game alone, they have to go that 1 bit further and squeeze as much out of you as they possibly can. Think of games like Guildwars. Im sure most of you MMO fans will have played guildwars, and found that after paying your £20 for the game you dont have to pay any more and you get all content and updates absolutely free.. Why is it that they can do it and SWTOR cant? and its all down to greed. Tbh if your gunna expect people to pay to play the game then make the game itself free.. how can you charge some1 so much for a bunch of discs they cant use untill they pay you more.

Before u all sit there going troll.. troll.. troll, think about it... what is that £9 a month ur paying actually buying you that the £45 you paid to get the game didnt.... ur not getting any benifits, any added content or anything like that just teh ability to play the game you already bought

Your paying for the voice acting, everything else about swtor is standard.

But wait... there are companions...

O my bad, you get your own bots to farm you goods.