Wait! So COMMAND TOKENS?

americanaussie

I just read the whole unassembled pieces but what about the tokens? Are they dropping that now? I'm so confused as I thought you needed both. I won't be grinding crap. If there's no more story until Dec then Im out.

5 pieces per win. Meh. Keep your bloody pieces.

You do need both, check the Dev Tracker, there's a few posts at the top.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Command token costs seem OK.

That's because they are basically useless except as a minor cxp increase. The real grind is unassembled tokens and it's an insane grind.

Edited by Damedius

That's because they are basically useless except as a minor cxp increase. The real grind is unassembled tokens and it's an insane grind.

Yep. 5.1 does not address player concerns.. it simply is a bait and switch of one grind for another.. only worse because they don't actually remove the first grind.. just distract with the second grind.

But this was known since they first announced 5.1 really. It's just people doubled down on "hope".

Ok, so are you misreading or intentionally misunderstanding?

Every command level will give command tokens... 5/8/12 per level (for each tier).

You can spend this on gear... cost for a chestpiece, say, is 10/15/24.

So without doing any pvp, purely on the command token basis, you will be able to buy a chestpiece cost piece oft armour every 2 command levels. You will also of course still get the loot from those 2 crates.

You can also collect the parts to upgrade these, but the command tokens will be the main source of your piece as you go through the tiers. YOU WILL BE SWIMMING IN TOKENS.

So on this basis, every one should be able to fully gear by about level 28 of each tier. It is actually earlier than that, but I'm rounding up for ease.

TBH, unless it is a typo in the cost of the pieces from Command tokens section, no one will be grinding via pvp or ops - not specifically through those routes... you may end up with the odd bit and piece, but the majority of it will be through "a piece every second level".

You cannot buy gear from the vendor with just Command Tokens. The vendor prices are Command Tokens + Unassembled Gear Tokens.. in the amounts presented by Eric this week.

So you still need to grind GC for tokens, and now you must also grind either OPs or PvP for unassembled gear/gear pieces. They effectively made the unassembled gear grind the new distractor.. but you still need tokens, so you still need to grind GC... just not for random crate drops. So this lessons the grind of GC.. but replaces it with a different grind. The only advantage here is that it essentially permits a player to estimate their effort to get gear... that's about it.

It's a poor approach to remedy of the issues with GC in my view. Happily grinding for gear can be mostly ignored in 5.0 by organized groups.. as they can largely get to tier 3 (absent set bonus) via crafting from recipes that drop outside of GC completely (as in.. other then grinding for crates for recipes or items to RE).

Edited by Andryah

Ok, so are you misreading or intentionally misunderstanding?

Every command level will give command tokens... 5/8/12 per level (for each tier).

You can spend this on gear... cost for a chestpiece, say, is 10/15/24.

So without doing any pvp, purely on the command token basis, you will be able to buy a chestpiece cost piece oft armour every 2 command levels. You will also of course still get the loot from those 2 crates.

You can also collect the parts to upgrade these, but the command tokens will be the main source of your piece as you go through the tiers. YOU WILL BE SWIMMING IN TOKENS.

So on this basis, every one should be able to fully gear by about level 28 of each tier. It is actually earlier than that, but I'm rounding up for ease.

TBH, unless it is a typo in the cost of the pieces from Command tokens section, no one will be grinding via pvp or ops - not specifically through those routes... you may end up with the odd bit and piece, but the majority of it will be through "a piece every second level".

This is incorrect.

You will need tokens + components to purchase gear. The grind will not be tokens but rather the components needed.

Yeah, it swung on the "also" in the "Each Unassembled Piece also has a Command Token cost to purchase them, let’s break those down."... I read and still read (present tense) that as two methods to buy... not two "component parts to the purchase"... it's ambiguous.

I appreciate the way it is being perceived is probably the way it will go, but tbh, it could still go either way!

Yeah, it swung on the "also" in the "Each Unassembled Piece also has a Command Token cost to purchase them, let’s break those down."... I read and still read (present tense) that as two methods to buy... not two "component parts to the purchase"... it's ambiguous.

I appreciate the way it is being perceived is probably the way it will go, but tbh, it could still go either way!

They said up front.. when they announced 5.1 back in December, that it would be a dual token approach.... Command Tokens + Unassembled Gear Tokens. Which is what launched the many "double grind" discussions in the forum throughout December.

What was revealed this week was simply the actual pricing on the vendors in terms of tokens. And it confirms you need quantities of both tokens, not one or the other.

You need to let go of your perception that it could "go either way", lest you log in Tuesday and find yourself severely disappointed. ;)

Edited by Andryah

They said up front.. when they announced 5.1 back in December, that it would be a dual token approach.... Command Tokens + Unassembled Gear Tokens. Which is what launched the many "double grind" discussions in the forum throughout December.

What was revealed this week was simply the actual pricing on the vendors in terms of tokens. And it confirms you need quantities of both tokens, not one or the other.

You need to let go of your perception that it could "go either way", lest you log in Tuesday and find yourself severely disappointed. ;)

Hehe, and this is purely personal perspective... I'm fine, I'd rather they leave it as it is tbh, is working nicely. It will be nice to have the cxp boosts for alts though.

I don't really care about gear but from everything I've read it just seems like they layered in an additional grind. You can only get components from raiding or PvP. The components along with the command tokens are what is used to actually purchase a piece of gear.

So now, if I did want to gear up a character, I can't just do whatever I want while grinding CXP. I have to continue to grind CXP for tokens and also have to grind warzones or GSF (since I don't raid) for components. It's a double grind.

Seems unnecessarily convoluted to me. Why not just make raid bosses and certain PvP ranks drop gear tokens?

Seems unnecessarily convoluted to me. Why not just make raid bosses and certain PvP ranks drop gear tokens?

This is exactly what Raiders and PVPers want, who knows why Bioware is humming loudly with their fingers in their ears trying to make a convoluted and unfulfilling system even more so.

This is exactly what Raiders and PVPers want, who knows why Bioware is humming loudly with their fingers in their ears trying to make a convoluted and unfulfilling system even more so.

That's easy. BWA promised the new system would retain current subs, increase the number of subs and keep the subs playing more. The new system has failed miserably. However, BWA will never admit a mistake. They will never say "Oops, what we had before worked better and our customers liked it" and revert. Instead they'll come up with something 10 times as convoluted, that takes a good deal of design time to code and introduces a thousand new bugs. That's how they have operated since after the guild summit.

The GC crates and their different tiers of gear with green, purple and orange - and some with set pieces - and some not - and some exactly the same - except some have crit and some have alacrity - and I keep getting implants over and over and over again - is not a simplification of what it was before.

Now, with the tokens, unassembled, assembled, boosts, boss drop percentages, gear trade ins.... it is so insane. I don't have any information to add to this conversation except I have to express my disbelief over the whole thing. Absurd.