The Voice Actress That Refused to Return to SWTOR

Aeneas_Falco

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They deserve the changes they are asking for. Hell I'd pay Steve Blum 825.00 to read something for me, love that man. That's all they get paid for a session. Please, they should get paid 2x that much. They want what everyone else wants when they work, decent working conditions and equitable pay for what they are doing.

Considering that most AAA games now a days earn FAR more than movies, they should make just as much if not more.

Absolutely not. Movie stars already make far more than they should. When all they're doing is going into a booth and talking they don't deserve to make millions.

Absolutely not. Movie stars already make far more than they should. When all they're doing is going into a booth and talking they don't deserve to make millions.

Voice acting is not simple at all. A lot of people can't do it and for others it takes a lot of control/concentration. It absolutely is an art form, like it or not.

Voice acting can be more challenging than going to a movie set. You act against no one, it is just yourself in a booth and you have to emote. I am incredibly impressed by all the talent in the industry, and they deserve their due. I am glad that Bioware makes snippets with voice actors from time to time, like they did for DA:I.

Voice acting can be more challenging than going to a movie set. You act against no one, it is just yourself in a booth and you have to emote. I am incredibly impressed by all the talent in the industry, and they deserve their due. I am glad that Bioware makes snippets with voice actors from time to time, like they did for DA:I.
Exactly.

There's a reason why there's such a small number of people who have proliferated through the years. The industry has huge washout numbers, probably more than Hollywood-proper. (And by "washout" I mean people who actually get their shot and fail or realize they can't do it.) The industry has huge turnover.

Any who think studios will just be able to find other people without experiencing a huge drop in quality are kidding themselves.

For pity's sake. They are not asking for millions. They're freaking asking for a couple hundred bucks per two million made. That's so extreme that I get 5x that much for a bonus every year from my job and then some. Did you even listen to the link that was added above. You might want to listen to what Steve Blum and Jen Hale say about it before passing judgement.

Better working conditions... Entitled brats, that's what they are. Life's treated them too good.

I've read this sentence a few times, and I still can't be sure whether it's supposed to be read as sarcastic or not.

Exactly.

There's a reason why there's such a small number of people who have proliferated through the years. The industry has huge washout numbers, probably more than Hollywood-proper. (And by "washout" I mean people who actually get their shot and fail or realize they can't do it.) The industry has huge turnover.

Any who think studios will just be able to find other people without experiencing a huge drop in quality are kidding themselves.

I agree. But the question is will any of the game studios care at all if the voice acting in their games is now much worse? Will customers even care? I personally might be really pissed, but I have a hard time imagining that it would affect sales.

The game studios would love to get cheaper rates, but then you take a hit in quality.

There was a Comic-Con voice panel a few years back, where they all took turns reading the SW: A New Hope script, using voices they'd done before in cartoons and such. It's hilarious, but it also illustrates something - these folks have to make their voices their CHARACTERS, and not just 'talk normal.' And they have to stay consistent, from reading to reading. AND they have to keep themselves from stressing their vocal cords.

Think of someone who hauls furniture for a living. They get paid by the hour, but only if they're actually hired for a job - the rest of the time they sit around waiting, not collecting pay. There's a high risk of injury, and an even higher risk of chronic problems developing over time, which they are not insured against or provided treatment for. You think a hundred and fifty bucks is too much to pay for that delivery? Your brother could do it for a six pack? Right, that hundred and fifty gets split three ways, after the truck company takes their cut for gas, truck maintenance, and profit. Each one of those dudes might be able to get a few beers with their share.

This is why, when I read the comments from people who say "X makes too damn much money" or "They should get cheaper people, it's not hard", I just shake my head.

A lot of us DO live on a shoestring. A lot of us would love to get $850 for four hours work. A lot of us apparently have no clue how much these people have worked, how much training they've gotten, how much they've paid to actually BE a decent VO artist... how much THEY may be living on a shoestring.

I looked into broadcasting school once. The cost was insane, simply to teach you how to talk clearly over a radio mike, and not stammer when you hear the playback delayed a few seconds. I've done radio ops before, but thankfully didn't have to hear my own transmissions, else I'd have been a wreck.

So... I support these folks. Those that don't... I welcome you to try to get into the same industry. Come back and comment when you've made your play, success or not.

For pity's sake. They are not asking for millions. They're freaking asking for a couple hundred bucks per two million made. That's so extreme that I get 5x that much for a bonus every year from my job and then some. Did you even listen to the link that was added above. You might want to listen to what Steve Blum and Jen Hale say about it before passing judgement.

And someone said they were asking for the same amount as movie stars. Movie stars are already overpaid. Voice actors absolutely do NOT deserve millions. Maybe a little more but even then it's stretching. Steve Blum and Jen Hale are both great people I'm sure but as two of the most prolific actors on the scene they aren't exactly indicative of the rest of the group. They make more than most people do easily for doing very little work.

I believe in the improvement to their working conditions and I think they should have more control and knowledge in their roles but nothing can convince me that they need a huge bump in pay.

Anyone saying that the VA's are asking for residuals or wanting millions for doing a job have been lied to, and you are making it worse by spreading that lie. I'd suggest taking an hour out of your day to listen to this
Edited by Kajuratus

Rachel Leigh Cook did Jaesa

I hate that, no one going to care about the strike. It's going take years before people even notice any difference, that's only if they don't hire someone else. If they don't hire someone else by the time the strike is over, we won't need her.

Anyone saying that the VA's are asking for residuals or wanting millions for doing a job have been lied to, and you are making it worse by spreading that lie. I'd suggest taking an hour out of your day to listen to this

Plus, that guy's voice is hot. Just sayin

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/struck_video_game_productions_list_11.3.16.pdf

I don't see swtor on this list, phew

Edited by grania

To get more money and better working conditions - the same point as pretty much every strike, ever.

That's not what I mean.. Seems pointless to me because I don't see video game companies giving a damn, as i'm sure they can easily find other people that want and will do it instead. I don't see it as one of those positions that are difficult to replace, and apply pressure to the industry to cave.