The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

2017 Appearance Options: Miraluka Masks

October

BioWare, I love the Miraluka species. It has been among my favorite since I was first introduced to the species in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. I fell in love with Visas and her people and was incredibly excited and relieved when you guys revealed that Miralukas would be a playable species in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

We are about to celebrate the fifth year anniversary of the game, and our customization options for this species is still the same. Sure, there are some shared hairstyles with other species, but we have received no further options to better customize what makes our species truly unique: our masks.

Humans have special hairstyles and eye colors; Mirialans have additional tattoo customizations to be purchased; even the Sith and Chiss have something available to change.

In 2017, please consider adding new customization options for masks to the Cartel Market for us to purchase. Allow us an expanded option to browse through when creating or modifying our characters' appearances. I am quite certain that many Miraluka players would enjoy and pay for this.

/signed wherever possible.

Let's have a range of styles: veils as well as masks, ornate, cyberpunk (I'm sure there must be the odd force-blind Miraluka who needs technological assistance, just like there's the odd force-blind Sith Lifeblood, and I'd love to play just such as a gunslinger), fanciful, plain - seriously, no simple white band across the eyes? Really?! - even, ideally, an unveiled "eyeless" - not the Visas Marr scarred look, obviously, but the simple "shallow vestigial dip between brow and cheekbone" look.

Please please please?

Trust me, It's not just the Miraluka.

Cathar are also in need of some attention.

But, that being said, I agree with you fully.

/signed

I agree, I feel as though all species should get regular updates in variation, but considering Miraluka was a launch species and publicly available, I would hope they could get some attention.

They need masks and more hair. I don't see why they have so little hairstyles. It's not like what they wear on their face would obstruct the hair any more than some masks/glasses do in game.

Seconded.

Please add more Miraluka masks and hair options. I don't really see why Miraluka can't have all the same hairstyles as humans.

I'm always in favor of more customization options.

Though personally, I don't get the appeal of this species. They're basically just humans whose eyes you can't see, and eyes are generally the most important part for identifying with a character. There's a reason characters like Geordi and Cyclops aren't as popular as others in their stories. As long as Miralukas are basically just humans with their eyes covered, I have no interest in playing them. Adding additional customization options--not only new masks, but appealing face/hair/etc. options that are exclusive (or nearly exclusive) to that race--would give me a reason to make a Miraluka character. I personally think it would be cool if one of the options was to not wear a mask at all but let their eyelessness be out there for everyone to see. That'd really help distinguish them from humans and cyborgs.

• 4 weeks later...
I always believed Miraluka actually do have eyes under their masks/veils. And they are just blind/white globes. Makes whole lot more sense than skin forming over their eyes or the empty eye sockets. But I agree we need more options. It's kind of disappointing when the mask you wear doesn't match your outfit. And I'd really like a cloth/veil or just white eyes.

I always believed Miraluka actually do have eyes under their masks/veils. And they are just blind/white globes. Makes whole lot more sense than skin forming over their eyes or the empty eye sockets. But I agree we need more options. It's kind of disappointing when the mask you wear doesn't match your outfit. And I'd really like a cloth/veil or just white eyes.

In game they probably do have eyes, but in lore they don't. As there are people with just eye sockets, it isn't that hard to believe.

Of course in real life they are still human.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

In game they probably do have eyes, but in lore they don't. As there are people with just eye sockets, it isn't that hard to believe.

Of course in real life they are still human.:rak_03:

Except there is some lore to support that they do have them. The race originally came from a rpg (I think that created them) then they appeared in the comics. And Visas Marr is the only one to represent them in-game. Then we had another comic and different writers explaining Marr being mutilated by Nihilus. Looks like lot of inconsistency, which isn't a surprise in the EU.

Anyways here is something I read about them: "found beneath the veils they wear, most often obfuscating their most unique characteristic. This being their eyes. Miraluka do not "see" in the conventional manner so many are accustomed to. Rather, they see through the Force; the eyes they are gifted with at birth are those of a seer."

Seer eyes, as in blind milky white eyes that they are born with.

So they were originally meant as blind seers in card/table top. Then artistic licence comes into the mix and makes Marr have literally no eyes in her specific case and all the other writers and artists picked up on that and did the same. Which doesn't make any sense scientifically, but hey.

I just like the original concept more than the whole taboo idea that they need to cover their empty eye sockets because everyone in the galaxy would be scared out by them. When it makes more sense that they wear the veil culturally to symbolism that they do not require eyes to see.

Then you have other members of their race having eyes and others outright stating they don't.

"Although some Miraluka do not have eyes (with Q'Anilia explicitly mentioning that she does not have eyes in issue 5), "

But I see if you go by what Wiki and SWTOR tell you now. "They are born without eyes"

I guess it's not all that important anyways, since it's now legends. But I'll be sticking with the other version. Makes whole lot more sense than the born without eyes thing IMO.

Edit: found out that some say Miraluka have skin grown over their empty eyes. But then we have two occasions that a Miraluka actually sheds tears in the comics? How can you cry when you have no tear ducts covered by skin. This is why sometimes I just completely ignore the EU and their insane inconsistencies and Bioware for that matter.

Edited by DarkEcIipse

I found the quote from some old rpg of kotor "Tales of the Jedi":

Special Abilities:

Force Sight: The Miraluka rely on their ability to perceive their surroundings by sensing the slight force vibrations emanated from all objects. In any location where the force is some way cloaked, the Miraluka are effectively blind.

Description:

The Miraluka closely resemble humans in form, although they have non-functioning, milky white eyes.

Talk about inconsistencies.

Here is another full quote about the inconsistency in the original idea:

"The Miraluka, a race of blind Force-users who are pretty much human in appearance, have appeared before, most notably in Tales of the Jedi, but they’ve always been pictured with veils obscuring the upper part of their faces, because otherwise we’d keep forgetting that they’re supposed to be blind, I guess. “Unseen, Unheard” finally shows what they look like without the veil, maybe for the first time. They have vestigial eye sockets but no eyes, just featureless flesh that covers them. This contradicts the roleplaying-game sourcebook Tales of the Jedi Companion, which states that Miraluka have “non-functioning, milky-white eyes.

- Bendu

So they started out as blind near-humans that learned to see through the force. Kind of like the Bendu. You will notice he has white milky eyes as well and they are cloudy. Anyways I think ranted a bit. But there you go, proof that they had eyes in the lore. But yeah, we need more options. Please BW, "I beg of you". - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnP87ZG4wi4

Edited by DarkEcIipse

I fully agree with you; the Miraluka species are by far my favorite, since they pull of this cool, mysterious feel with their blindness. Being able to have more masks would be great, especially since a lot of future characters I will be making will most likely be Miraluka.

I found the quote from some old rpg of kotor "Tales of the Jedi":

Special Abilities:

Force Sight: The Miraluka rely on their ability to perceive their surroundings by sensing the slight force vibrations emanated from all objects. In any location where the force is some way cloaked, the Miraluka are effectively blind.

Description:

The Miraluka closely resemble humans in form, although they have non-functioning, milky white eyes.

Talk about inconsistencies.

Here is another full quote about the inconsistency in the original idea:

"The Miraluka, a race of blind Force-users who are pretty much human in appearance, have appeared before, most notably in Tales of the Jedi, but they’ve always been pictured with veils obscuring the upper part of their faces, because otherwise we’d keep forgetting that they’re supposed to be blind, I guess. “Unseen, Unheard” finally shows what they look like without the veil, maybe for the first time. They have vestigial eye sockets but no eyes, just featureless flesh that covers them. This contradicts the roleplaying-game sourcebook Tales of the Jedi Companion, which states that Miraluka have “non-functioning, milky-white eyes.

- Bendu

So they started out as blind near-humans that learned to see through the force. Kind of like the Bendu. You will notice he has white milky eyes as well and they are cloudy. Anyways I think ranted a bit. But there you go, proof that they had eyes in the lore. But yeah, we need more options. Please BW, "I beg of you". - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnP87ZG4wi4

Chirrut Imwe confirmed! Maybe Disney is bringing this idea of milky white eyes back. After all, not all miraluka are jedi, but they can be force sensitive

Maybe someone should make a picture of some ideas for appearances/

I'd love to attempt that, was even planning on doing drawing depictions of my Miraluka. Problem is I don't have enough time on my hands and I doubt the devs would notice it, although don't let that stop you. I'd love to see drawing/pictures of different appearances.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

If you're a dark-side Miraluka with a penchant for masks, at least there are some Cartel Market options.

Oh, and you can have a breather like Bane...

I'd love to see them enhance the old content in a number of ways.

Miraluka masks, absolutely! Also more stronghold labels, customizations for companions, etc.