The Way Forward- No More Chapters

Izariel

UGH. And you can't even do the "Travel to your Coruscant SH and exit." No. You have to LOAD into your ship, fly to Coruscant, load into the hangar, speeder through the huge spaceport, speeder all the way to the senate tower, then run through half of THAT, JUST so Garza can say, "Good job, Major. Here's your next assignment."

should be more like: good job on your sprinting excercises, dismissed:D:D:D

I did the trooper story twice week one of the game leveled my main (at the time) a commando 3 days after starting I leveled my vanguard... never leveled another and never will again..

Garza can blow me and the rest of the boys.

you mention them boys in every post. is there something you'd like to share with us ??:D:D

you mention them boys in every post. is there something you'd like to share with us ??:D:D

Well if it isn't Anna! How's the Weather over there in Russia?

Anyway no I'm not gay :p what I mean by "the boys" is friends made in game that are no longer playing they left the game at one time or another for one reason or another. All my friends and guild members I've made have long since been gone and at this point I just say (for the boys) in honor of them.

All this game was really Good at in terms of being an mmo was bringing people together.. sadly.

Edited by mfourcustom

I don't think it's necessary to have a class specific story line, it'd also unreasonable and would take a long time. Unless they somehow hire 5x the people they have now, if not more.

I could agree to faction specific and force/non force as KotetFe was just not right for non force users.

But 8 class stories is just absurd. Fun though.

That said I do love kotet and kotfe, I was extremely pleasantly surprised when I came back after 4 years. Most of that was because of Arcann, but still.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

Am I the only one that actually liked the Consular story? At least through chapter 1. It really lost focus when they got him involved in the Rift Alliance and the renewed war efforts. The Consular missions should've remained "behind the scenes" so to speak, dealing with secrets of the force that only the inner circles of the Jedi and Sith know about and deal with.

Am I the only one that actually liked the Consular story? At least through chapter 1. It really lost focus when they got him involved in the Rift Alliance and the renewed war efforts. The Consular missions should've remained "behind the scenes" so to speak, dealing with secrets of the force that only the inner circles of the Jedi and Sith know about and deal with.

Chapter 1 was tolerable, the rest not so much. Which reminds me... I have to push my Consular through again as I deleted my other three. Silly me.

I don´'t mind the story being divided into chapters.

What I do mind is if the story doesn't fit - KotFE/KotET could have been a good story, but I don't think it fit in with the previous SWTOR stories at all. Had it been a completely separate story in a solo SW game, it would have been so much better. As it is, it invalidates too much of what our characters have done before, and that just doesn't sit right with me.

It's as if you've been watching the Walking Dead for 3-4 seasons, and at the start of the fifth, all characters are played by different actors and the zombies are rabid wolves. Plus the wolves are the main characters, and everything happens on a submarine.

I also mind when the story isn't particularly well written. KotET did a lot to save what could be saved, but it couldn't save the fact that the whole Valkorion&kids story was the wrong one from the start. As a follow-up, it had to follow the same pattern with heavily railroaded corridor runs, no side quests, no choice in which companion to bring along for the action - and very little actual gameplay. The focus on the player character as the MAIN character was much better in KotET, but nowhere near to the standard of the original stories, and leading all the way up through SoR.

What I would like to see in the future is that (most importantly) the player character is the main character. I'd like to have open worlds to explore, with side stories/exploration quests I might miss on one character because I decided to take the left path rather than the right. I'd like to have more than one mission to do (or choose not to do!) in an area, instead of this linear stuff that on one hand is over way too quick, and on the other isn't over nearly soon enough because it's simply not that good.

I'd like to be able to get into my rhythm of playing without constantly being interrupted by cutscenes that more often than not don't give me any new information.

I'd like to be shown in action, not told in a cutscene, why my character should care and feel the need to act against the Big Bad.

I'd like the Big Bad to be a worthy adversary - smart, devious, driven by his/her own goals. Someone I might, if I'm playing a dark sider, feel some kind of understanding for at the very least, and maybe even regret eventually having to whack.

But honestly, the thing I miss most about story content prior to KotFE/KotET, is having lots of different things to do. Being able to choose if I want to only do the main storyline, or do some side quests or all of them. Choosing my own path to the next encounter, and maybe getting little surprises here and there because I go a different path.

The main problem I have with the chapter format is that there's no natural pause/stopping point while you're doing the storyline, and if you either want to take a break/log off or have a computer problem that requires you to restart the game or your computer, you don't come back right in the same spot like when you're doing non-chapter stuff. You end up having to repeat content, including boss fights. It's been very irritating and makes me partially dread doing those parts. Yes, the story content is good, but it's so much harder to just pop on, play for ten or twenty minutes, and leave.

Here is the problem with Chapters vs Class story content.

With Chapters, and one story for all, you predetermine what is going to happen, at least they haven't made it so that your decisions REALLY matter. This type of setting is ok, if you have a set goal with your story, you will play through the developers story, and that's fine for some. Also, this implies that the end result will be somewhat the same. This setting bodes will for a set character, let's say Commander Shepard, out to save the galaxy. Most everybody was on board with the character, with the goal of the story (let's not talk about the conclusion).

Class stories is an entirely different genre, it's more like Dragon Age: Origins than Mass Effect.

The hero is not set, but you choose it, therefore the story and the endings are more flexible, there could be different endings. Not everyone wants to be the Commander of the Universe, I'm sure not all Jedi would, as they would see power as corrupting.

Now therefore this game (for which someone made the decision to be an MMO) has set out as a more open ended, player story driven game.

In a need to have a continuous presence in the game to be financially viable, you need to have an incentive to play and replay content.

I think the original game was perfect for that, where, playing through 8 stories kept you occupied for long enough, while from the developers point of view, 80% of the time, you just replayed content (non-class related content).

It's not so much of the game's mistake that people totally ignored content and left before they played through it.

Now with the developer driven story and little to no player agency, the replay value greatly diminishes and that is what makes this path dangerous, for a sub based game, imo. Of course you can put a grindfest scenario at the end of the story, but we'll see if that will be enough to keep people playing, as I doubt that people will grind to level 300 on their 8+ alts. Sooner or later most if not all alts will become irrelevant.

Edited by Galahard

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.