I need to know. LS/DS points. Dark/Light V???

WarTornPanda

If you gain ANY lightside points while questing, are you forever locked out of Dark V? I almost quit the game today because I don't feel like starting my character over at this point. I know it seems trivial, but it's really irritating to think that I made a decision to help the empire early on in my career (Imperial Agent. I didn't kill the eels) and now I might be screwed.

Hoping for an answer from someone with firsthand knowledge on the matter.

Edited by WarTornPanda

Rumor has it you can go into Flashpoints and reverse your standings in light and dark points. Can anyone back this up as fact?

I dont see why you couldn't. Black talon alone I think can swing you 200 either way. Repeadly run that and after like 80 attempts youll swing to the other side.

I am Dark Side 5, I have been donig light side Diplomacy missions. The only kicker is if you do a light side thing it will knock you back down to Dark Side 4 and you will have to do more Dark Side stuff to get the rank back and the title.

If you gain ANY lightside points while questing, are you forever locked out of Dark V? I almost quit the game today because I don't feel like starting my character over at this point. I know it seems trivial, but it's really irritating to think that I made a decision to help the empire early on in my career (Imperial Agent. I didn't kill the eels) and now I might be screwed.

Hoping for an answer from someone with firsthand knowledge on the matter.

You can still reach Dark or Light V even with some opposite points. You can rerun flashpoints for these gains or use diplomacy.

Just to repeat what others have said, there are different ways to get LS/DS points:

• Selecting the relevant dialogue options on missions / class quests
  • Sending your companions on Diplomacy Missions.
  • Running Flashpoints multiple times to get extra LS / DS points by selecting the relevant dialogue options.

In other words, the devs have ensured that regardless of what options you select in your class quest / missions there's always a way to get more of the points you desire.

Edited by Tarka

No you can't, but it's probably a bug or oversight and will change in the future.

Currently you have a 10000 point cap for each DS and LS and you can't subtract points from either. So if you have 150 LS points and 10000 DS points you will be stuck at 9850 DS with no way to get any higher.

No you can't, but it's probably a bug or oversight and will change in the future.

Currently you have a 10000 point cap for each DS and LS and you can't subtract points from either. So if you have 150 LS points and 10000 DS points you will be stuck at 9850 DS with no way to get any higher.

This is what lead to my confusion in the first place...

Now I don't know what to think again.

Are you really so sure that it isn't possible to hit cap on one side, whilst having some points in the other?

Sending companions on diplomatic missions and running flashpoints multiple times gives you extra LS / DS points.

It would be a boneheaded move on behalf of Bioware to penalise players by not allowing them to hit cap, and still expect them to continue paying a subscription.

Edited by Tarka

Are you really so sure?

I am positive. It's happened to many people already and there are dozens of threads about it with screenshots. Bottom line is you can't subtract points, and have a 10000 point hard cap. Once you hit that 10000 point cap you can farm diplo missions all day and wont get anywhere, unless you decide to max out both LS and DS to get yourself stuck at 0 (10000/10000).

Edited by Astasia

I am positive. It's happened to many people already and there are dozens of threads about it with screenshots. Bottom line is you can't subtract points, and have a 10000 point hard cap. Once you hit that 10000 point cap you can farm diplo missions all day and wont get anywhere, unless you decide to max out both LS and DS to get yourself stuck at 0 (10000/10000).

Any official word from Bioware? Bug or intentional? I understand that you do not work for Bioware, but you seem pretty versed on the matter. :)

So, can I be let's say Light II and Dark V at the same time? Is it that you can only have either Light V or Dark V at one time? is it that once you max Light V, it won't let you hit Dark V at all?

Still puzzled on this... :confused:

Im quite curious as to what the overall effects of going darkside / lightside actually are (physically on the avatar).

At lv24 I am currently dark 2 with about 100 points over the trigger point, I did (I think) receive a new title at dark 2 but did not see any asthetic change to my character, whereas dark 1 led to red eyes.

Is there a thread about this anywhere with screenies? have tried google already but not a huge amount of luck.

Any official word from Bioware? Bug or intentional? I understand that you do not work for Bioware, but you seem pretty versed on the matter. :)

No official word yet AFAIK.

So, can I be let's say Light II and Dark V at the same time? Is it that you can only have either Light V or Dark V at one time? is it that once you max Light V, it won't let you hit Dark V at all?

Still puzzled on this... :confused:

No, any points of the opposite alignment are subtracted from your main alignment to determine actual alignment. So at 10000 DS points with 2000 LS points you are at 8000 DS alignment, and the problem is you can't go any higher than 10000 DS points nor subtract any of those LS points, so in that situation you could never go higher than 8000 DS no matter what you do.

Im quite curious as to what the overall effects of going darkside / lightside actually are (physically on the avatar).

At lv24 I am currently dark 2 with about 100 points over the trigger point, I did (I think) receive a new title at dark 2 but did not see any asthetic change to my character, whereas dark 1 led to red eyes.

Is there a thread about this anywhere with screenies? have tried google already but not a huge amount of luck.

There is no effect of LS, which kind of sucks IMO. For DS your eyes change orange at DS 1 and from there get more and more red at each stage, your skin also becomes more pale and the area around your eyes becomes darker. Eventually you look like a panda, and there have been many jokes about that.

No official word yet AFAIK.

No, any points of the opposite alignment are subtracted from your main alignment to determine actual alignment. So at 10000 DS points with 2000 LS points you are at 8000 DS alignment, and the problem is you can't go any higher than 10000 DS points nor subtract any of those LS points, so in that situation you could never go higher than 8000 DS no matter what you do.

There is no effect of LS, which kind of sucks IMO. For DS your eyes change orange at DS 1 and from there get more and more red at each stage, your skin also becomes more pale and the area around your eyes becomes darker. Eventually you look like a panda, and there have been many jokes about that.

Wow... that kind of sucks. :(

They implementing a change for this in the near future?

So, in order to reach Dark V or Light V, you need all of the points on one side?

Edited by Screamster

Wow... that kind of sucks. :(

They implementing a change for this in the near future?

So, in order to reach Dark V or Light V, you need all of the points on one side?

Apparently... That's why I was so mad. If it's intentional, it goes against the very idea of roleplaying (MMOG?). Screwing people out of rewards pigeonholes them into picking one answer that they may not normally choose.

Edited by WarTornPanda

Rumor has it you can go into Flashpoints and reverse your standings in light and dark points. Can anyone back this up as fact?

Correct, I accidentally got 100 LS points in the story I did some flashpoints to get more DS points once you get to 10,000 the excess DS points cancel out any LS points you have.

^ This is wrong, you cancel out LS points once you get to 10,000 DS and start choosing DS choices after.

Protip: farm Black Talon for LS & DS points.

Edited by Manigma