Update 5.0 & 5.0a, Screen Artifacts bug

Benekhar

Ever since the updates I and other players have been experiencing screen artifacts. I have updated drivers, followed troubleshooting, but nothing has worked. I believe the is probably an issue with the update, not my computer. When will it be fixed?

Edit

Windows 10, 64 bit, non streaming client, Intel HD 3000 GPU, core i5 processor, 8gb ram, basically I'm in a late 2011 MacBook Pro running boot camp. All other games running beautifully. SWTOR issues started only after 5.0.

Edit:

Edited by Benekhar
Added Video

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also having this issue. Mostly on older planets, mostly outdoors. Rarely indoors/phased areas. Mostly when flying, or mounted. Getting it quite a bit in KoTeT (walker and droid phases mostly), but not KOTFE (where I get screen flashes instead). Gonna bump this guy's thing because he said BW needs archaeologists in another thread. I couldn't agree more.

Edit: I'll add my specs, too.

Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X 280x, AMD 6300 6 core 3.5 gH, Windows 8.1 (64 bit), have the game on a HD. 10 gig RAM.

Edited by GabbyMe

Same issue, flashes and artifacts on screen for brief moments, mostly outdoors (have not tried kotet xpac yet as I am leveling up a new toon atm). Happens often enough to be really really really annoying. Happened with the new patch (5.0 and newest one) and only with this and only this game.

ANY response would be appreciated.

I5-2400k, AMD Radeon 270x, Win7 64bit, HDD, 8gb ram.

Edit: I also noticed when watching other players that on some mounts the animations seem really wonky. It looks like they are out of focus and are missing animation steps resulting in a very weird surreal almost-like movement. Its pretty hard to explain but definitely has only appeared since the 5.0 patch hit. Seen on every Walker mount, creature mount, or generally mounts that have moving animations tied to them. My own mounts, creatures and Walker, look fine.

Edited by guy_w

Yes, I am also experiencing screen artifacts.

I don't understand how BW could overlook such an obvious issue....so sad....

I have not logged in to play the game since the last xpac and i was so happy to play, but the game experience is utterly awful.

I feel ashamed for BW Austin....<<crys in shame for BW>>

Just curious are you all using AMD Radeon cards ? Reason I ask is I am running a GTX 1080 and not seeing any issues with gfx but then I am only playing KOTFE at present if it matters , went from chapter 1 to 16 so far no issues

Tried turning down settings to narrow down a possible cause ?

Edited by OwenBrooks

Just curious are you all using AMD Radeon cards ? Reason I ask is I am running a GTX 1080 and not seeing any issues with gfx but then I am only playing KOTFE at present if it matters , went from chapter 1 to 16 so far no issues

Yes, my gpu is an AMD 280x. I think someone else in here is using a 270. When I posted a complaint on the subreddit for swtor on tuesday. Someone said they were using a 290x, but getting no issues at all :/ I've tried turning down the settings to the low. Turning everything off. Nothing fixes it. I'm guessing something in the graphic update maybe doesn't agree with the drivers? I tried rolling them back to something older, but the issue was persisting.

Kinda wish my husband wasn't deployed because he has his laptop with him. Has a Nvidia 970 in it, and could see if he's getting these issues as well. But I don't think he would be.

I even uninstalled, and did a clean install for the drivers. And that didn't work either. I tried forcing vsync through CCC (or whatever the new suite is called), AND triple buffering. Didn't work either. I even turned it ALL OFF, hooked it up to my LED TV... which has a higher refresh rate them my monitor. And it was still doing it. Turning off anti-aliasing also didn't help, nor turning it on. I tend to play with it on medium. But nothing affected it at all.

All my other games work just fine. Varying from Dragon Age: Origins (2 and Inq) to Fallout 4, WoW, and several others.

Edited by GabbyMe

Yes, I'm using an AMD Radeon, and yes, I've tried turning every setting down as low as they'll possibly go. Still getting this issue.

I haven't really noticed it much at all during KOTET stuff (aside from massive problems in the Iokath giant droid-walker fight), so I assume KOTFE will probably be similarly trouble-free. But try going to Taris (Imp or Pub), or Belsavis or Alderaan. Try doing the 3 heroics on Ord Mantell. That's where the game becomes almost unplayable.

I'm on an Intel HD 3000, the settings don't matter. Tried everything from absolute base settings to absolute max and still feel like I'm walking through yuon par's archeology site. 🤓 More suggestions welcome but I'm pretty sure I've tried it all at this point.

I'm on an Intel HD 3000, the settings don't matter. Tried everything from absolute base settings to absolute max and still feel like I'm walking through yuon par's archeology site. 🤓 More suggestions welcome but I'm pretty sure I've tried it all at this point.

Just to mention the Intel HD 3000 is below minimum requirements for the game

from http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

Edited by OwenBrooks

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

I'm playing on a laptop: AMD Radeon R6, 2.50 GHz, 8GB of RAM. Monday night, before the 5.0 patch, it worked just fine. Now, it's just lines and conals and artifacts all over the place in the (older) outdoor areas.

I'm playing on a laptop: AMD Radeon R6, 2.50 GHz, 8GB of RAM. Monday night, before the 5.0 patch, it worked just fine. Now, it's just lines and conals and artifacts all over the place in the (older) outdoor areas.

AMD cards certainly seem to be affected by what you are seeing, I certainly do not see it on older planets so far with a Nvidia 1080 card , only issue I have is the game not closing on quitting.

So far listed on EA Answers HQ on the known issues sticky (link)

Current Alerts

* Game Freezes on exit after 5.0 - no known solution at present (Bioware to investigate)

Log to character select before quitting game appears to help on occasion

* AMD Video Cards experience screen artifacts and flashes after 5.0

* Some Intel systems are restricted to 800 x 600 with no resolution drop down

* Launcher is displaying patch notes for 3.3.2

The OPs issue initially is separate to what AMD video cards are doing

Edited by OwenBrooks

All there has been a request to provide dxdiags and screenshots of what you are seeing ingame in regards to artifacts etc

I have made a placeholder thread at this link to provide the information

for those with win 10 they can use the snip tool and insert the jpg into the post as an image.

Dxdiag directions are at this link

Edited by OwenBrooks

I also want to report that on Intel HD 4000+ and other similar Intel integrated processors there are numerous screen artefacts and glitches associated purely with this update, namely flashes of "static" that periodically occur.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

I also want to report that on Intel HD 4000+ and other similar Intel integrated processors there are numerous screen artefacts and glitches associated purely with this update, namely flashes of "static" that periodically occur.

~ Eudoxia

Post into the following thread link as well - Link the dxdiag will seperate from AMD cards

Intel 4000 is below minimum requirements but is worth looking into as well

Edited by OwenBrooks

Just curious are you all using AMD Radeon cards ? Reason I ask is I am running a GTX 1080 and not seeing any issues with gfx but then I am only playing KOTFE at present if it matters , went from chapter 1 to 16 so far no issues.

I am getting screen tearing and artifacts on my work laptop, which has an Intel HD 5500 GPU.

Provide what you can, even if it is a verbal description

I'm gonna reply there shortly. I can't get screenshots to you... simply because what everyone else said was true. They happen randomly, and they're too fast. They're there, then gone. My reaction time is fast, but not THAT fast. So... I downloaded FRAPS, went to Republic side Taris. And flew on the flight path where I know it'll happen regardless. Even then... screenshots are still hard to get... even when I can anticipate them happening.

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Yep I know it's below minimum, and yet it's been working beautifully. Obviously I have to turn my graphics settings super low and ugly to manage proper game play, but everything was working fine and dandy. I know my graphics are probably integrated but the JD 3000 does have 256. Honestly I didn't think the game would work on my machine when I downloaded it but it worked. No hitches and no glitches. Until now. So it is inescapably clear this is not a fault in my machine. It's a fault in the patch. Now if only other super low end machines were having this problem then I'd be listening when u point out that I'm below system minimums. But that's not the case so I only wanna hear one thing. "Bioware is aware of this issue which was cause by a (likely rushed) new update, and they are working on a fix for the **** fest they created".

AMD cards certainly seem to be affected by what you are seeing, I certainly do not see it on older planets so far with a Nvidia 1080 card , only issue I have is the game not closing on quitting.

So far listed on EA Answers HQ on the known issues sticky (link)

Current Alerts

* Game Freezes on exit after 5.0 - no known solution at present (Bioware to investigate)

Log to character select before quitting game appears to help on occasion

* AMD Video Cards experience screen artifacts and flashes after 5.0

* Some Intel systems are restricted to 800 x 600 with no resolution drop down

* Launcher is displaying patch notes for 3.3.2

The OPs issue initially is separate to what AMD video cards are doing

WTH DUDE the "OP's" issue is NOT initially separate from what the AMD cards are doing! THEY ARE DOING EXACTLY THE SAME THING! All of us are experiencing the exact same artifacts under very similar circumstances.

Edited by Benekhar