GSF School YouTube Channel

caederon

Hello, you may remember me from such GSF School materials as
, Despon's Guides, or 'those times on JC when I hung out answering questions for hours.'

I'm here today to offer you a new and exciting opportunity to learn things you may already know. I'm also here to offer new players an introduction to important GSF concepts brought to life through the magic of motion pictures:

GSF School on YouTube

We currently feature the following courses:

Basic Training - Essential concepts and tips for the new pilot

The Breakdown - Detailed analysis from veteran pilots of one full match at a time

Raw Matches - Unedited match recordings, some of which later feature on The Breakdown

So... This Happened - Sometimes, these things happen.

... and more are on the way.

User response and my available free-time will dictate how much content gets put up, but I would like to provide enough lessons that new players can sufficiently immerse themselves in the skills needed to compete and more advanced pilots can find something to appreciate as well.

If you are new to the game, or know someone who is, this channel is for you.

- Despon

Just wanted you to know that you're being hosted/promoted on my site (http://www.Hayete.net). If you have players looking for consolidated information in one place that may be another resource for players. Good work on this channel concept/idea mate :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted you to know that you're being hosted/promoted on my site (http://www.Hayete.net). If you have players looking for consolidated information in one place that may be another resource for players. Good work on this channel concept/idea mate :)

Thanks very much, I appreciate the link. Anything that helps new players get more info so they can compete and be part of the game is ok by me. I'm glad you've found the channel worthwhile.

I've debuted the first in what will be a new series of videos tonight:

I decided to run an experiment and fly fifty matches in totally unupgraded stock ships, not even swapping out the crewmen or copilot abilities. The goal was to ensure I had no gear advantage through the course of those fifty matches, relying purely on experience and knowledge of the game to try to compete. Ultimately, I hoped to show that anyone who sets their mind to it can contribute in GSF if they learn the techniques and practice the skills that lead to success.

Beyond this initial overview video, we'll be giving a Breakdown-like treatment to a number of the matches I flew stock, with a focus on how anyone else can replicate the same things I'm doing even before their ships are geared up.

- Despon

There is a new episode up of

This time, I join Mikaboshi and our guest Dak (Sriia/Zyrieas) to look in detail at her piloting of a Type 1 bomber in Kuat Mesas domination.

We'll probably be alternating between The Breakdown and Stock Ship episodes, so SS is up next and will likely feature Type 1 scout play.

- Despon

There is a new episode up of

This time, I join Mikaboshi and our guest Dak (Sriia/Zyrieas) to look in detail at her piloting of a Type 1 bomber in Kuat Mesas domination.

We'll probably be alternating between The Breakdown and Stock Ship episodes, so SS is up next and will likely feature Type 1 scout play.

- Despon

Good job on "helping" people by mocking them publicly if they fly strikes oh and....

"I don't fly bombers"

Edited by Lendul

Good job on "helping" people by mocking them publicly if they fly strikes oh and....

"I don't fly bombers"

Thanks, as usual, for your keen insight and salient observations.

I don't fly bombers very much at all because I, personally, will be able to help my team more by being in a ship that has greater offensive output and mobility. Given the number of players that do regularly fly bombers, there is rarely a shortage of them. Bombers (in proper numbers) are a vital component of a well-composed team in both dom and TDM.

High level bomber play requires a particular set of skills which I have not practiced enough, so I wanted to bring in someone who had. Dak is a great example of a pilot who knows the class well and demonstrates skilled technique which players can learn from by watching. Drakolich is another, his videos are great for seeing basic and advanced bomber techniques in action.

As for strike fighters, they are objectively poorer at carrying out necessary GSF tasks than other ships. I'm not arguing this again, as it's been beaten to death. Flying a strike fighter is making a conscious choice to be less effective than flying a ship that better suits the needs of the moment. I would very much like to see strikes buffed. Adding more viable choices and diversity to a game's meta is a great thing. Right now, though, it is not advisable for pilots who want to have the best chance at success to spend time in strike fighters.

- Despon

I don't fly bombers ...

High level bomber play requires a particular set of skills ...

As for strike fighters, they are objectively poorer at carrying out necessary GSF tasks than other ships. I'm not arguing this again, as it's been beaten to death. Flying a strike fighter is making a conscious choice to be less effective than flying a ship that better suits the needs of the moment. I would very much like to see strikes buffed. Adding more viable choices and diversity to a game's meta is a great thing. Right now, though, it is not advisable for pilots who want to have the best chance at success to spend time in strike fighters.

- Despon

Maybe if you showed everyone all of your Galactic Starfighter World Championship trophies in the videos or show some correlative data on how it affects ones GSF ELO it would be easier to understand exactly how important it is for people to stick with the META. By all means, though do continue to make fun of people in your supposedly "educational" videos. It sends a great message about our community.

Have you considered explaining how important it is to pay homage to the established GSF royalty to gain trial entrance into the clique? Let's be honest that is as important as gearing up is.

Edited by Lendul

Maybe if you showed everyone all of your Galactic Starfighter World Championship trophies in the videos or show some correlative data on how it affects ones GSF ELO it would be easier to understand exactly how important it is for people to stick with the META. By all means, though do continue to make fun of people in your supposedly "educational" videos. It sends a great message about our community.

Have you considered explaining how important it is to pay homage to the established GSF royalty to gain trial entrance into the clique? Let's be honest that is as important as gearing up is.

GSF is a game where people compete against each other. My goal is to teach them how the game works and how they, too, can be competitive.

I have, through my history playing, grouped with anyone who asked... rookie, vet, new, old, it doesn't matter. If I recall correctly, I've even grouped with you a few times. There is no clique, there is nothing you are being excluded from, there is no royalty. There is a game, in which people are tasked with blowing up the other team's spaceships. Blowing them up is hard, so I try to help people learn the best ways to make it easier.

- Despon

I'm curious why you're against training new players to be best they can be at this game?

So far all I've seen in the videos is advice on how to win the most games. On top of the fact that they are clearly advertised as that. It's not like he's telling people that's the only way to play the game, he's offering advice on how to play the game at it's most competitive.

If people don't want to fly meta ships and want to do their own thing it's not like anyone can stop them anyways, they're free to do that. However anyone saying that what they're doing will win them less games isn't wrong, that's just someone trying to be helpful. If you keep harassing that player that's when it becomes wrong, making videos definitely isn't harassing anyone.

If you have a different opinion then the strategies/advice which was given in the video that's fine, you left your comment and people can listen or not. If you really feel that strongly about it feel free to make your own video or guide. I just think maybe you should take a good long look at the kind of comments you've been leaving everywhere lately.

I'm curious why you're against training new players to be best they can be at this game?

Could you please quote me saying that I was against it? I took issue with the exact thing that I had an issue with. I have noticed the clique is quite adept at deflecting and strawman tactics when they have been called out for being pretentious and they know it.

I never said the analysis that strike fighters are inferior in every role in GSF was wrong. I was pointing out that shaming people for playing them is bad form.

Edited by Lendul

I'm all for bashing Strikes. There's already too many people out there praising them saying "in the right hands blah blah blah". There's so much misinformation out there. I'm sick of being told how to fly a Strikefighter by some above average pilot that has merely been crushing noobs with one.

If Despon can put the cork on that theory for 800+ viewers, it could really improve the game for everyone. How annoying is it when you're solo queuing and get put on a team of Strikes? If you had even a little bit of support, you could have a chance to win the game. Strikes can't support. Strikes can't hold satellites properly. Strikes can't clear minefields. Strikes suck at chasing away gunships. They're useless fodder and more people need to know about it, even if it hurts your feelings.

Could you please quote me saying that I was against it? I took issue with the exact thing that I had an issue with. I have noticed the clique is quite adept at deflecting and strawman tactics when they have been called out for being pretentious and they know it.

I never said the analysis that strike fighters are inferior in every role in GSF was wrong. I was pointing out that shaming people for playing them is bad form.

Oh alright fair enough, my point is that these videos don't shame anyone. Those players in the videos are welcome to play Strikes whenever they want, however if they are watching the videos to become more competitive then they should know that flying those Strikes is hurting them in that respect. Saying someone is doing something wrong in an educational video isn't shaming it's constructive criticism.

Also what clique are you talking about? Do you mean all the GSF players that get along? Or all the players that have a similar point of view? Do you never get invited to the right parties or something?

I'm all for bashing Strikes. There's already too many people out there praising them saying "in the right hands blah blah blah". There's so much misinformation out there. I'm sick of being told how to fly a Strikefighter by some above average pilot that has merely been crushing noobs with one.

If Despon can put the cork on that theory for 800+ viewers, it could really improve the game for everyone. How annoying is it when you're solo queuing and get put on a team of Strikes? If you had even a little bit of support, you could have a chance to win the game. Strikes can't support. Strikes can't hold satellites properly. Strikes can't clear minefields. Strikes suck at chasing away gunships. They're useless fodder and more people need to know about it, even if it hurts your feelings.

LOL reading comprehension. Once again I am not debating the effectiveness of strikes. I am pointing out the ridiculousness of highlighting and shaming random people in videos for playing them. This is the equivalent of going all over someone for playing a non OP AC in regular ground PvP, it is just ridiculous. There is no Elo in GSF, no one is handing out trophies. All of the self-proclaimed authorities of GSF have become way too full of themselves. You play an insignificant back alley part of this game that the devs do not take seriously, the community does not take seriously. So being overly serious about it comes across about the same as flaunting your proficiency in thumb tack tossing. That is the truth, even if it hurts your feelings.

If you want to go full pragmatic then at least be consistent. The solution to your problems isn't the quality of pilots it's the quantity. Analyze that and come up with a whatever proactive solution you can self-implement.

If you want to go full pragmatic then at least be consistent. The solution to your problems isn't the quality of pilots it's the quantity. Analyze that and come up with a whatever proactive solution you can self-implement.

GSF is a game with great opportunities to analyze the choices and behaviors of players in matches, because those choices and behaviors are consequential to the outcome, and to the individual's personal performance. Many stats are tracked, many scores awarded, and now, such scores are even relevant to increasing one's CXP via earning

. So, players have a legitimate reason to seek increased performance within the context of progressing their character. I intend to continue providing them instruction on how to do so.

My solution to the problem of increasing the quantity and quality of pilots playing GSF is to provide a video channel which features information that makes the game more accessible and entertainment that shows why the game is interesting. Your opinion of those efforts represents your view, and is duly noted. Others seem to think differently. Time will tell what sort of audience this reaches.

- Despon

@ Lendul,

Whatever your issues is with Despon, I do wish you would stop hijacking threads to sling mud at him. People like Despon, Drak, and others have been incredibly helpful and supportive to the community over the years. I myself have learned a great deal from them since I picked up GSF a couple years ago.

Despon has been extremely patient and professional in response to your personal attacks against him on the forums lately, and his channel is one of the best things that anyone has done for the GSF community in a long time. You may not always agree with him and that's fine, but you could at least be professional and respectful in your criticisms. Your viewpoints are as valid as his, but your delivery is only making you look bad.

@ Lendul,

Whatever your issues is with Despon, I do wish you would stop hijacking threads to sling mud at him.

This is what I mean by 'the clique" . There is a group of people here that have "protected" status and no one is allowed to say anything against them even when they are in the wrong.

Me calling him out for shaming people in his videos is not mud slinging. If you can't see that me criticizing him for bad mouthing people in his videos is constructive in the aspect that it most likely will turn off the desired audience. Then you are straight up white knighting this and reason is beyond you. The fact that someone does some things that are good does not make the bad things they do okay. I can do hours upon hours of charity work, but if I break the speed limit I am still guilty of speeding and my charity work does not make a moment of lawlessness okay.

This is what I mean by 'the clique" . There is a group of people here that have "protected" status and no one is allowed to say anything against them even when they are in the wrong.

Me calling him out for shaming people in his videos is not mud slinging. If you can't see that me criticizing him for bad mouthing people in his videos is constructive in the aspect that it most likely will turn off the desired audience. Then you are straight up white knighting this and reason is beyond you. The fact that someone does some things that are good does not make the bad things they do okay. I can do hours upon hours of charity work, but if I break the speed limit I am still guilty of speeding and my charity work does not make a moment of lawlessness okay.

It's not what you're saying man, it's how you're saying it. I have no issues with you, I've liked many of the posts you've made over the years. Like I said, you're points are equally valid, but being so confrontational about it just turns people off.

As for me, I'm certainly not part of any "clique". In fact, I'm very much a loner in this game. I just don't like seeing our little GSF community fractured by bickering. Personal insults are really not called for, against Despon, or now me. It's not white knighting, it's just about respect. You can disagree, even strongly, without being disrespectful and insulting. If you feel that he was in the wrong in that situation, why stoop to that level here?

It's not what you're saying man, it's how you're saying it. I have no issues with you, I've liked many of the posts you've made over the years. Like I said, you're points are equally valid, but being so confrontational about it just turns people off.

Indeed, Lendul. It's not that you're disagreeing with him, it's that you take every post he makes as an opportunity to sling repetitive vitriol about strawman arguments, etc, and it has become incredibly trite. We see it over and over again on the forums, and the problem is that it detracts from any real point you might be trying to make. As a result, your message becomes background noise. Folks are sticking up for Despon; not because of a clique, but because he's doing something extremely positive for our community (I steer everybody I help in the direction of this YouTube channel), and you're repetitively bringing some confrontational, personal issue into the middle of an otherwise quality thread. Please step back and see that objectively for what it is.

Indeed, Lendul. It's not that you're disagreeing with him, it's that you take every post he makes as an opportunity to sling repetitive vitriol about strawman arguments, etc, and it has become incredibly trite. We see it over and over again on the forums, and the problem is that it detracts from any real point you might be trying to make. As a result, your message becomes background noise. Folks are sticking up for Despon; not because of a clique, but because he's doing something extremely positive for our community (I steer everybody I help in the direction of this YouTube channel), and you're repetitively bringing some confrontational, personal issue into the middle of an otherwise quality thread. Please step back and see that objectively for what it is.

And this is what I mean by people white knighting and using absurd logic. Once again rather than addressing the issue that was brought up, the tired and illogical "but they do good things" is used to justify doing something that is not good. And how per say is me taking issue with them bad mouthing other people, me making it a personal issue? On another note, it is not hard for anything to be perceived as quality when the low-quality things are being ignored or swept under the rug.

The real problem is not what I am saying nor how, but who I am saying it against. Like I said some people have protected status ala clique, white knighting, good ole boy club whatever other references you want to use to describe things such as this.

So please stop asking me to be objective when I am the only one being so. I have been consistently and objectively acknowledging both the good and the bad. That is being impartial aka objective. If you only acknowledge the good, but not the bad then it is you who is not being objective.

Edited by Lendul

And this is what I mean by people white knighting and using absurd logic. Once again rather than addressing the issue that was brought up, the tired and illogical "but they do good things" is used to justify doing something that is not good. And how per say is me taking issue with them bad mouthing other people, me making it a personal issue?

Let's look at THE ISSUE

I'll speak for Lendul here (this should be ok since he regularly speaks for other people) and say that his point of contention with me is that in The Breakdown : Ep. 04,

that three players are flying strike fighters. While it is Mika speaking, and not me, I am ultimately responsible for the editing of the videos and highlighted that there were indeed three strike fighters chosen. Those players names (which for their safety, I will not repeat here) are indeed shown on the roster card and not blurred out to protect them. The words Mika speaks: "Your team is running three strike fighters, unfortunately" are followed with a comment that he will continue pointing the number of strike fighters out because it is a 'psychotic hatred of mine.' While he has not been diagnosed officially with a psychosis, to my knowledge (I will get my legal team to check on that), we must take his comment purely at face value. There you have it, the horrible shaming that was heaped upon those players, condoned by me as part of my position as producer of said video.

I am guilty, I published a video that pointed out several players flew strike fighters. I stand accused and convicted, ready for my sentencing.

How can I combat this judgement? I know that Lendul would NEVER do anything like badmouthing a player on an internet forum.

... oh. Well, surely directly calling someone a liar who will 'bold faced lie' isn't badmouthing, is it? That's just telling the truth, after all! Purely informative, and look at all the evidence that backed it up.

... oh. Yeah, I guess there wasn't any. Maybe the dark triad took it and hid it.

So, now that this otherwise useful thread is drowning in garbage, I will try to hoist it back out of the gutter. I will be responding to zero more posts of Lendul's personal attacks. If he decides to make a substantive argument about anything, I'll engage. Challenging ideas can be good. I am happy to discuss any criticism of the work I'm producing, and if there is a consensus that something is out of line, I'll address it. Otherwise, your opinion is noted.

Moving on.

- Despon

Very well made video, and as usual you and your team continue to highlight the thought process that goes though a successful players head as they try to do everything in their power to turn a defeat into victory. This episode shows clearly how there is certainly an element of risk involved in any action that a player takes within a game, and one of the keys of success is having the experience and intelligence to identify the most prudent action and minimize your risk exposure. This match shows it exceptionally well due to the nature of the bomber being a sluggish craft, and once you commit to flying to a sat, it is much harder to correct that error fast enough.

In particular is the decision to leave A alone in favor of reinforcing B when the enemy team was overcomitting to C. To be able to identify that B would most likely be the next target and risking the safety of A was what paid off for Sriia in this case. Sometime you also have to know your opposition and realize who the sneaky players are that will also recognize that there is a high likelihood that A would have been left undefended in such a scenario. These players may realize that even if they fail to take A alone, even the notification of dropping sats and a flashing A icon in Sriia's team's UI would cause panic, confusion, and an uncoordinated split of their forces which would have made a capture of B even easier for the advancing enemies.

An excellent match to watch that really highlights some of the psychology involved in these games, which this video series is quite adept at demonstrating, but does a particularly good job of it in this case. Also, as usual, I applaud the excellent production value of the video, as well as the entertainment value.

Keep at it folks, You've got a fan in me.