Thank you for the performance enhancements

Glzmo

I wanted to take some time and thank the developers for the performance enhancements in Game Update 5.0. Removing the FPS cap is also nice, seeing 200+ FPS at full details at 1920x1080 is just wonderful. Perhaps you could also increase the video memory use cap in the future so those of us with more than 2GB of video memory can fill a bit more to decrease loading times and improve performance?

In any case, thank you very much for the improvements!

With the freshly found performance overhead! It would be great if it could be used to finally pull the trigger on re-implementing chat bubbles including a toggle option now. We know you can do it, all you have to do is put your heart into it!

In case you weren't around back then or have forgotten, here is a refresher on what the issue with chat bubbles was, as stated by your esteemed colleague and UI developer at the time, Cory Kolek:

I can get a bit more technical on the topic though. As it was said before chat bubbles were a huge performance hit on the game when we had initially implemented them in beta. We're talking upwards of 400Mbs of video memory used on chat bubbles alone. Nameplates had the same issue. We fixed nameplates but have not had time to do the same with chat bubbles. If you played in beta and saw our initial implementation of them they weren't very pretty or as fully featured as we'd like them to be. So, yes, we would like to implement them again, but when we do we want to do it right.

Back when the game was getting ready for release, the 400Mbs of video RAM enabled chat bubbles consumed might have been a problem since video cards typically had 256-768MB of video memory then, but nowadays with even the lowest-end cards sold having 2-4GBs, this really shouldn't be a problem anymore. Many players have waited up to five years (it's one of the most requested features, according to this request thread which is one of the biggest and longest-running active request threads since these forums' existance) for them to finally be re-added, maybe you would be so kind and dedicate some development time to them and adding them again.

Thanks again!

Edited by Glzmo

Definitely agree with this. Big ups to the devs for these surprise improvements.

Warzones are actually great now with little-to-no lag. The new chapters looked and ran great. I can't imagine how painful Uprisings would have been without performance improvements, but now that we have them I'm really enjoying those too.

Another awesome benefit to these enhancements: holotraverse and phantom stride actually work now for ops and sins. :D I harped on the devs for how broken those abilities were for a long time, but they're working phenomenally now.

The performance upgrade is nice and I like the new shading on the character select screen. But this one man crusade for chat bubbles will come about at the same time we get hood toggle and Alec gets his jedi robes. Oh and pigs will fly too.