What's your process?

JennyFlynn

It's a subject that's vaguely come up in other threads of stories I've read and it's left me a little curious to everyone's experience as a writer. Where do you get your inspiration from? What does the writing process look like for you? How do you handle little burn outs or a loss of inspiration suddenly? Have you ever looked at one of your stories and thought "I wanna scrap it all and redo the whole thing"? Where do you turn to when you get stuck and do you have any words of wisdom to share with others? I'll start it off myself but I'd like to see others get involved. We do have a really nice little community here of writers and possibly aspiring writers who could benefit from reading others' experiences.

Where do you get your inspiration from?: Anywhere, honestly. The game itself, a favorite song, a beloved NPC, the real world as well as other stories I've read. I've actually noticed that at times something slips into my own stories that's similar to something I've read. Never intentionally but I suppose other writers are as much of an inspiration as anything else and subconsciously things linger.

What does the writing process look like for you?: I don't have a set pattern or structure. I don't even 'plan' the entire story when I start. I simply begin with a general idea of where I want to go and what I want to achieve and take it from there. Some times that involves quite a bit of re-writing as well when I wish to do something with the story but I've already created a roadblock for myself in previous chapters.

How do you handle burnouts/lost inspiration?: I try and write 4 to 5+ chapters in advance, soaking up inspiration when I do have it so I'll have some material ready in case a burnout hits me. I usually get through them by just playing the game for a while instead, listening to music or even binge someone else's stories to rekindle the flame so to speak.

Have you ever wanted to scrap and redo an old or current story?: Yep, guilty as charged. There are moments where I look back on what's already been written and posted and think "I should have done it like this instead..".. and then I carry that with me and hold on to those ideas for a future alternate story instead.

Where do you turn to when you get stuck?: The beginning. It usually helps me a lot to take a step back, go way back to the beginning of a story I wrote and calmly read through it while reminding myself of what I set out to do and where I want it to go. To regain perspective and focus.

What do you struggle with most?: Use of language. English isn't my native tongue, my flow isn't as natural as that of those who are English and at times I struggle finding the right use of words without sounding repetitive.

Any words of wisdom to share, advice to give to others?: Write for you. It's something I remind myself of every single time I create a new chapter. I will sit here and think "will they like it, is it interesting enough for others" and I have to hit the brakes because the moment I start thinking that I clam up completely and get stuck. Another one is being open to criticism. Not every single person is going to like what you write and some may have harsh words but they can also provide a fresh perspective and keep you sharp, perhaps even inspire a future chapter.

Feel free to add your own responses and possible questions you may have for others. :)

Edited by JennyFlynn

It's nice that we can have these kinds of talks in addition to sharing work. There is a nice group here, and I hope everyone will be able to take the time and share a bit. This is a nice idea Jenny. :)

Where do I draw inspiration...It tends to hit a bit like lightning, usually when I'm doing nothing at all, when my mind is a bit absent and I'm not thinking about anything in particular, then wham, an idea. I also watch movies, read books, play games, music...life is a big inspiration for many things, as well as personal experiences.

Have I ever wanted to sc.rap an entire story? Sure, and I have. My novel had about three different incarnations before it became what it was. I kept trying til I hit on something that fit and that I liked. I've scra.ped entire chapters...the day before I'm supposed to post. That's a scary moment, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

What does the process look like for me? It's different with everything. Mostly I consider myself a 'pantser' which means I make much up as I go. But for other things, I've also been a planner...I suppose, I'm a combination of pantser and planner.

How do I handle burn out? That's when I walk away...unplug. I go for a walk or a drive, I go to a movie. I do just about anything else. Sleep helps too. My burn out sessions don't last too long, I don't give myself that luxury. I've been posting here consistly for over two years, a chapter every week, including holidays. I sometimes think a break would be nice, but then I start thinking too much about that and realize I'd rather be writing.

Have I ever wanted to scrap or redo an old story? Sometimes, I think redoing The Well of Undying might be an idea, to reflect my writing now, I like to think I've improved over time...but then it's also nice to be able to go back and look and think, hey, I've gotten better over time. Leaving old work intact allows you to track your ability. But as it is right now, I don't have time to go back and redo old work...there is so much new work that I'd like to be able to do. Not enough hours in the day.

Where do I turn if I get stuck? That's when a break is in order. I go out, I do things, I get away from the pc. It helps me.

What do I struggle with most? My self-editor/critic. That darn goblin sits on my shoulder and is constantly running me down, this isn't good enough, that's not good enough. Nothing I do is good enough. I have to try and not listen to it and do what I want. I have a perfectionistic streak when it comes to writing, that if I could beat that, I could be more prolific, but it's who I am. :/

Any words of wisdom or advice: Write what needs to be written, if something troubles you, get it out. Writing is a bit like therapy. I find it helps. Also, do what you want to do, first and foremost. If you like doing a thing, odds are others will too, and if not...oh well, so long as you're having fun, that's what matters. Basically, it comes down to putting the butt in the chair and making the time to write.

It's a subject that's vaguely come up in other threads of stories I've read and it's left me a little curious to everyone's experience as a writer. We do have a really nice little community here of writers and possibly aspiring writers who could benefit from reading others' experiences.

A lot of us are new writers and have many of the same questions and struggles. It will be interesting to see what others experiences and suggestions will be.

Where do you get your inspiration from?: Mostly from the question "what if?" I can get a lot of mileage from that question. For these forums, I get a lot from just asking what if this happens instead of that or as a consequence of that, in game. Although I try to stay away from actual in game chapters as much as possible, using them mostly as time references, etc. I also get inspiration from songs, movies, books, TV shows and even things that just pop into my head. I also get great inspiration from other writers on this forum, and pay very close attention to how they write; dialogue, sentence structure, descriptions, etc.

What does the writing process look like for you?: Once I get the 'what if' straight in my head, I usually get a pretty firm idea about the beginning and end chapters, sometimes writing parts of both, then figuring out the path to get from A to Z. And I always look for the 'hook' to get people to care about my character(s), whether it is attitude, circumstance, risk, gain and/or loss, I think that if people don't care about what happens to your character(s), you have already lost the reader. The middle of the story is always the kicker. I have found that, for me at least, the mystery format has me writing a lot more notes and ideas than my adventure/romance, which were much easier to pantser through.

How do you handle burnouts/lost inspiration?: Like you, Jenny, I try to have a few chapters in advance, but when burnout strikes, I take a break. Catch up on DVR'd shows, or Netflix, etc. I do keep up with other's stories also, which sometimes helps shove me back into writing again.

Have you ever wanted to scrap and redo an old or current story?: Heaven's yes. When I was writing Flip I totally scrapped 4 or 5 chapters because I realized I was following much of the same plot I had in my previous story. It sucks to have to do that, but it is also a learning experience to be able to look at your own work and say that it is utter crap and delete all you've done to pull the story back around to what it should be. However, I do save lines that can be used later on or even in a new story, so nothing is ever really wasted.

Where do you turn to when you get stuck?: I agree that going back to the beginning helps to open new avenues of thought and discover new plot lines that can be expanded on. Or even taking a break. Sometimes a fresh thought will come from just walking away for a bit. Heck, I can get a new idea from making dinner, like how the heat of the stove feels on my skin, or the glint of light off a fork or knife. Simple things can give that extra boost we all need at times.

What do you struggle with most?: Self doubt, is the worst. And, often second guessing a lot of my decisions. In the writing itself?, realistic fight scenes, ugh, the bane of my existence.

Any words of wisdom to share, advice to give to others?: 'Write for you.' Well, said Jenny, and it's so true. It's a hard lesson to swallow sometimes, especially for new writers. Like with all aspects of life, you can't please everyone, but after all, the story is yours first and shared after and not everyone will have glowing praise for what you write or the genre you choose. We all just tell the tale as we envision it and hope for a reaction, hopefully positive, but if not, constructive criticism does help with growth and possible ideas for future endeavors.

One more thing. I have actually sent a PM or two, or more, to one particular writer to ask advice, gain insight, or even voice a worry. It never hurts to reach out to someone if you believe they can help with your writing or a particular circumstance. You may be pleasantly surprised with how open and thoughtful the people in our little community can be.

Great thread Jenny :) It's definitely interesting to get some insight into all the writers here.

Where do you get your inspiration from?: Everything. I'm a prolific consumer of media: tv, movies, videogames, books, not necessarily in that order. I also like to look at a lot of critical analysis (e.g., reviews) of the things I enjoy and see what works and what doesn't. I tend to like mysteries / action / drama of many kinds. I found that my taste has been expanding as I get older too. I used to hate period pieces, but I'm really enjoying Netflix's The Crown right now.

What does the writing process look like for you?: It depends on what I'm writing. Shorter stories I'll usually just let my fingers run and see what comes out. Longer works and I need to plan. I'm no good at pantsing (as Luna puts it) for longer stuff. I find I always end up writing myself into a dead end and then the story dies.

Planning has helped keep False Empire on track and on pace to actually finish. I don't have every scene planned out beforehand, but I do have an idea of the major storybeats and revelations mapped out ahead of time. I've mostly stuck to those, but the roads between them have adapted.

I'm definitely envious of the people who can freestyle a whole story and have things still make sense and feel fulfilling.

Have I ever wanted to scrap an entire story?: Entire stories? Not yet. But I have scrapped and redone large parts of existing stories. False Empire originally featured Hadrax much more prominently. But after writing several chapters worth of his perspective, I found that he was becoming a distraction from the story I really wanted to tell. So I ended up throwing those chapters into a metaphorical fire. =X

How do I handle burn out?: I have to give myself permission to not write for a while actually, because if i don't do that, I end up just sitting at my computer wishing my writer's block would go away. I've discovered its far more rejuvenating to just step away from the story for a day or two and enjoy a good break, rather than try to force myself to write and come up with nothing good.

Where do you turn to when you get stuck?: If I get stuck, my stories tend to die :( But! Planning has helped so much with this. Having a clear destination makes it much easier to avoid pitfalls.

What do you struggle with most?: A whole host of things. But I think the thing I want to improve the most is emotional beats that ground a story.

Any words of wisdom to share, advice to give to others?: I think Jenny, Luna and Misha all have really good advice. I really like Misha's actually. I may send a few PMs soon, probably after I'm finished with False Empire.

I'm coming up with a blank for what else to contribute right now ... maybe I'll update this post later once my brain reboots. =[

Have I ever wanted to scrap or redo an old story? Sometimes, I think redoing The Well of Undying might be an idea, to reflect my writing now, I like to think I've improved over time

Funny you should say that, I re-read WoU a few nights ago after we'd discussed some things in the Marr thread about the story already being known in a way. Just to dig back into Lia's history. Your style these days is most definitely different to WoU and much improved (which is NOT saying it was bad before FYI!!) but I like the idea of leaving it as it is. It clearly shows growth and in a way that's inspiring.

Any words of wisdom or advice: Write what needs to be written, if something troubles you, get it out. Writing is a bit like therapy. I find it helps.

I agree so very much there. It's the reason I started writing stories just for myself back in my teens and it's still a bit of a go-to in troubling times.

What does the writing process look like for you?: Once I get the 'what if' straight in my head, I usually get a pretty firm idea about the beginning and end chapters, sometimes writing parts of both, then figuring out the path to get from A to Z.

Mmm, I actually do that too. I have the start and finish (and even the sequel) but the road in between is mostly up in the air. I kinda just let my characters drive.. except with my female protagonist. At times I really can't figure out if I'm her or she's me and which of us in charge.

One more thing. I have actually sent a PM or two, or more, to one particular writer to ask advice, gain insight, or even voice a worry. It never hurts to reach out to someone if you believe they can help with your writing or a particular circumstance. You may be pleasantly surprised with how open and thoughtful the people in our little community can be.

Never considered doing that actually though I do agree it's solid advice, never would have thought of it. I've received PMs from a reader who had some 'critical' points and worried I might not be aware of certain lore-related facts (though I actually much enjoyed talking to him and the criticism didn't even feel as such, it was all good) but I've never considered asking another for input or help. I'm both overly independent with the mindset of "nah I won't bug someone with my *****, I'll figure it out somehow" and deeply insecure so I usually just bash my head into a wall until I work the problem out.

Great thread Jenny :) It's definitely interesting to get some insight into all the writers here.

Hi Wang! I apologize for not having delved into your story yet. I've been so consumed with my own writing spree and constant ADD moments that I haven't yet had a proper moment of peace to binge through any new stories. Chidori's has been short and sweet but I took a glance at TFE and you've got a whole lot in there already so it's going to take me some time though it's on my 'reading list' so to speak. Just wanted to let you know!

I'm definitely envious of the people who can freestyle a whole story and have things still make sense and feel fulfilling.
And I envy you. I cannot plan to save my life. I've tried, writing character profiles, plot points, noting down loose ends that need to be tied up but once I start everything just takes on a life of it's own and none of the planning sticks.

Apologies for the rambles, I'm overly chatty today while writing but those are some points I wanted to respond to and thank you three for joining in!! :)

Never considered doing that actually though I do agree it's solid advice, never would have thought of it. I've received PMs from a reader who had some 'critical' points and worried I might not be aware of certain lore-related facts (though I actually much enjoyed talking to him and the criticism didn't even feel as such, it was all good) but I've never considered asking another for input or help. I'm both overly independent with the mindset of "nah I won't bug someone with my *****, I'll figure it out somehow" and deeply insecure so I usually just bash my head into a wall until I work the problem out.

As a new writer, unfamiliar with these forums or any other, I had questions about story construction and rules, rather than wanting someone to figure stuff out for me. After all, it is my story, my plot, my words. Either way, the person was gracious and kind, and I don't think I have bugged them since those initial questions. I was just pointing out that people here are very helpful and should not be dismissed as a resource.

I like this, although I'm not sure how some of you might feel about me or my stories after this, but hey, here we go!

Where do you get your inspiration from?:

I suppose "everywhere" is too broad...hmmm...I guess I'd have to say other stories. I'm a bit weird in that I don't pull inspiration from real life, rather, stories and tales give me inspiration for my real-life values and principles. That, I'm sure, sounds whacked to most of you but it's worked so far, and until it proves detrimental enough that I have to reevaluate my life decisions, I'll stick with what is working. I devour other stories almost constantly, mostly through audiobooks (Thank you Audible!). In the past few months I've been listening and re-listening to the Bane trilogy, the Revan novel, and the Plagueis novel for inspiration. Everytime I listen to each of these novels I pull at least one new thing from the book that inspires me and gives form and shape to a thought that was once nebulous and undefined. I do pull inspiration from SWTOR and every game I play and have ever played really. I also draw inspiration from my past. I wasn't always a gamer, I was once an avid Lego builder and bookworm, and many of the concepts and ideas that form the foundation of my beliefs stem from that time of budding creativity and awe-struck belief in the magic of imagination. It all factors in to my perspective and voice as an author.

What does the writing process look like for you?:

Like Jenny, I don't have a set pattern or structure. I don't even 'plan' the entire story when I start (I know this is so weird that Jenny and I write the same way! I'm freaking out!). I simply begin with a general idea of where I want to go and what I want to achieve and let the story work itself out. To me writing, ideas, concepts, and plot lines are like the Force. You have to open yourself up and let it flow through you. I like to say that I don't write the stories I write. The stories write themselves through me. I am merely their chosen vessel that they use to express themselves, to create themselves, to make themselves known. I will often go off an tangents in my writing that are solely from my heart. During these times my story will flow through me and we become one and the same...in that the story has now become a completely honest expression and image (snapshot) of my inner condition and my emotional identity, whether temporary or underlying.

How do you handle burnouts/lost inspiration?:

Listen to an audio book. Listen some more. Listen to another book. When I'm really stumped for inspiration I soundscape. I'm not sure how many of you know what this is, but its a technique that involves finding instrumental music (very important), turning it on(closing your eyes is optional, if it helps you do it), and listening. But don't just listen, imagine. Hear what the music(this is why you need instrumental, words just get in the way and taint the raw creative power of the music's interaction with your imagination), is saying to you. What world is the music creating with its notes, its melody, its rhythm, its emotional connection? What events is the music showing you? What characters are subject to or perpetrators of these events? What are these character's histories? Their moods? What emotions are they feeling right now? What is their essence? Where did they come from and where are they going? How do they perceive the world around them right now? What are they/will they do? What world does the music reveal to you? Soundscaping is how I came up with the idea for the novel (or maybe it will be a whole series, who knows?) I plan to write one day. The world, the characters, the plot, it all came from soundscaping. Of course, true to form, I don't have everything planned to the T and only have a general idea of how the story arc is going to go, and I won't have those details until I'm face to face with the blank page on which those specific ideas will be written. In a way, its very exciting. Like Schrodinger's cat, the uncertainty makes the possibilities endless.

Have you ever wanted to scrap and redo an old or current story?:

Not once. Although I'm sure I will eventually. I've never once wanted to scrap a story and start over. I've always felt there are things I can improve (hindsight is always 20x20) but never can I recall ever being so disenchanted or dissatisfied with my work that I wanted to erase it all and start over. I've always thought it has something to do with how I write, and the fact that everything I write is a literal (or literary, if you prefer) piece of me. Every work I create (that isn't, ya know, schoolwork or something monotonous and divorced-from-my-emotions like that) is like my offspring to me. Do they have failures? faults? issues? unsightly or unpleasant sides? Yes. But I cherish every one as a portion of myself. I have certain ones I like better than others but I love them all equally, because they are my creation, my children.

Where do you turn to when you get stuck?:

I play games, usually whichever one(s) I'm most heavily drawing inspiration from. I also watch or listen to content that I'm drawing inspiration from. But most important of all, I meditate. Not in the Bhuddist "ohms and ringing gongs" type way, or the "sitting cross-legged on the floor" type way. I mean the biblical way. I "meditate day and night" on my work. I think about it, turn it over in my head again and again; in the car, at work, at home, while out shopping or, simply but most importantly, when I have a moment of time to rest and just wait (for something or other). My work occupies my mind like an obsession, like a child might occupy a parent's mind or a lover might occupy their partner's mind on a daily basis. Even if my meditation is only to review concepts and ideas I already have "set in stone" it helps to get my mind into the correct frame of thinking to create new content.

What do you struggle with most?:

Keeping up with my characters. Many times there are levels of intelligence, cunning, perception, and awareness that I want my characters to display...but I find myself at a roadblock simply because I'm not smart enough to even imagine what being that intelligent would be like, and I hate to "cheapen" a character by using my "god powers" to try and make them seem more intelligent than even I am...It's a constant struggle to create deep, smart, perceptive characters while working within the bounds of my intellect and not a truly omniscient one.

Any words of wisdom to share, advice to give to others?:

Let your work flow through you. I'm not making a reference here, just because this is a Star Wars forum, I'm being serious. Let your imagination free, let your emotions guide you. If you attempt to restrain and control your imagination it will weaken, whither, and die. For creativity's sake, practice the tenants of the Sith with regards to your writing and self-expression, your art. Do not let the bonds of logic, reason, or focus stifle your creative power. Let your emotions flow through your work and it will become a truly artistic expression of you, of your essence, your soul. Once you have learned the proper techniques to express yourself (i.e. writing techniques, painting techniques, music composition techniques) use those as foundations upon which to unleash your passions, your ideas, your thoughts, your essence. And do not be afraid to sometimes even bend or defy those "traditional", "tried and true" techniques in order to express yourself even more fully, even more intensely. There are entirely new genres of music, visual art, and even writing that would never have come about if someone hadn't looked at the "tried and true" the "path everyone travels" and decided they were going to forge their own path through new territory. Let your passions guide you.

I don't know how much of that made sense, but if it helped even just one person then it has done what I sent it to do.

Edited by MayhemofChaonus

As a new writer, unfamiliar with these forums or any other, I had questions about story construction and rules, rather than wanting someone to figure stuff out for me. After all, it is my story, my plot, my words. Either way, the person was gracious and kind, and I don't think I have bugged them since those initial questions. I was just pointing out that people here are very helpful and should not be dismissed as a resource.

Oh I didn't mean to imply it's a bothersome act, sorry if that's how it sounded. I more so meant that I myself never really dare to approach others privately because I worry they'll feel bothered by it, by me. I'd never even considered it until you brought it up and I do agree it could be a very helpful resource. I'd just never thought of it myself so it's good you pointed it out. :)

Never considered doing that actually though I do agree it's solid advice, never would have thought of it. I've received PMs from a reader who had some 'critical' points and worried I might not be aware of certain lore-related facts (though I actually much enjoyed talking to him and the criticism didn't even feel as such, it was all good) but I've never considered asking another for input or help.

Hehe, I tend to be pretty "critical" sometimes, to the point where when you mentioned this I literally had to do a mental background check as to whether that might have been me. Luckily it wasn't because I don't remember ever PM'ing you, but that sounds like something I might do in certain situations.

-snip-

Wow, I actually enjoyed reading all your responses, you come across so poetic. :) I liked this line for example "To me writing, ideas, concepts, and plot lines are like the Force. You have to open yourself up and let it flow through you.". I would have never thought to look at it that way.

And FYI, I don't think anything in your post would ever dissuade another from reading your stories. I actually feel encouraged to do so now. Thank you for sharing your visions!

Hi Wang! I apologize for not having delved into your story yet. I've been so consumed with my own writing spree and constant ADD moments that I haven't yet had a proper moment of peace to binge through any new stories. Chidori's has been short and sweet but I took a glance at TFE and you've got a whole lot in there already so it's going to take me some time though it's on my 'reading list' so to speak. Just wanted to let you know!

No need to apologize! And don't feel obligated to delve if it's not your cup of tea (though I always appreciate feedback :) ).

Defiant Devotion is on my reading list as well! I only have about 2.5 chapters left to write of my own story - as soon as that's done, I will definitely be taking a peek.

No need to apologize! And don't feel obligated to delve if it's not your cup of tea (though I always appreciate feedback :) ).

Defiant Devotion is on my reading list as well! I only have about 2.5 chapters left to write of my own story - as soon as that's done, I will definitely be taking a peek.

The only obligation I feel is the person inside of me going "Hey, look, there's more stories here you haven't read yet. Get to it woman!" ;) And I've come to realize anything good is basically my cup of tea. I used to limit myself to stories which only involved known in-game characters but then stumbled on Misha's story for example and boom, a whole new world you know? So yes, I will read because I actually want to. :)

Where do you get your inspiration from?: I tend to be inspired by ‘what if’ ideas more than anything else. I also have a thing for crossovers as well. And I’m sure we’ve all done it, read something that I like the idea of and think could I do something like that? I’ve found myself in that very situation in TDS in the current chapter I’m working on.

What does the writing process look like for you?: What process? I don’t have one! I don’t really plan or anything like that. As I mainly write stories based on the plot of computer RPG’s I’ve played that isn’t as bad as it sounds. I have a general idea of what I want to do and where I want things to go, half the fun for me is getting there as sometimes I end up changing things part way through or things go in a different direction than what I had in mind because the characters I’m writing had other ideas.

How do you handle burnouts/lost inspiration?: I’ve only ever reached that stage with one story or rather series of stories. It helped me through a rough patch and I think I’m unlikely to ever finish as much as I might like to. If I never found myself a beta reader who knows Forgotten Realms lore I might see about getting back in the grove. However I want to finish TDS and see where that leads first.

Have you ever wanted to scrap and redo an old or current story?: Been there, done that, got the Tee-shirt. Next question!

Where do you turn to when you get stuck?: If that happens I know it’s time to take a break, be it playing a game, or building a model or some such. Never force your writing, it won’t end well.

What do you struggle with most?: Use of language. I may be a native English speaker but at times I know what I want to say, just not how to say it. That and my spelling and grammar suck!

Any words of wisdom to share, advice to give to others?: Always, always write for you and what interests you. Chances are there will be people who like what you write. My Star Wars story, even now continues to surprise me with its popularity on FFN.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

The usual, other pieces of fiction (I got inspired for a Legend of Zelda fanfiction when playing Shadows of Mordor), music (Twisted gave me so many ideas) and the ceiling. No, I'm dead serious. Might be autism or just insanity, but when I look at a ceiling, the cracks shift to form storyboards for me.

What does the writing process look like for you?

I'm in the middle of a random activity, and the idea strikes me in the moment, my body jolts to life and I smile for once. I write the idea down, then a few weeks later I come back to expand upon it. The days before are spent with the idea in my mind, various scenes play out with my own mental judges. Sometimes I plan ahead with a short plot outline, sometimes I just write in the moment and sometimes I write out future scenes (Mostly characters I'll kill off) and if I can, I'll get stuff to visualise it (Go to swtor to create the characters, ect) and it ends up being organised chaos. Each scene I write I have to ask myself three questions:

What is the point of this scene?

What feeling do I want to screw with?

How does this affect other characters?

I always have general plot points already down before I write, who it'll end, certain character's backstories, the general theme, who I'll kill off.

How do you handle little burn outs or a loss of inspiration suddenly?

I shut down, then come back later. Not an efficient method.

What do you struggle with most?

Dialogue, the bane of my existence. I'm not the most natural person, so producing dialogue that flows, informs and entertains all while not sounding robotic and stiff is a hardship I have yet to overcome. Some day though!

Have you ever looked at one of your stories and thought "I wanna scrap it all and redo the whole thing"?

I have that nagging feeling after every chapter I've posted, I'll never be satisfied with what I write.

Where do you turn to when you get stuck and do you have any words of wisdom to share with others?

The greatest sin of a writer is not to produce art that lacks quality, it is to produce art that lacks passion.

Edited by Codedrago

Thank you for the thread! ^^

Where do you get your inspiration from?:

I think I get most of mine from my own daily life and also maybe from music I hear, and a combination of built up Lore/movies Haha. I also get inspired by reading what other write ( not referring to big name authors) but even fellow writers like ones here!

What does the writing process look like for you?:

Hmm for me it really depends. It seems most of the time I am so busy with "life" stuff, that I guess I can't comprehend starting a big project like a novel... I tend to relieve my mind by writing, but since I know I am busy I keep it short... So I tend to favor short story formats or journals :D

How do you handle burnouts/lost inspiration?:

I like others mentioned, tend to binge on others' stories as well as just to take time to get my life in order, so that the inspiration will come soonoer rather than later. It is also why I guess I prefer being very detailed in my writing, mostly so I can feel and see exactly what my mind is showing me; so that it is real and happening in front of me.

Have you ever wanted to scrap and redo an old or current story?:

Hmm, Yes I am sure there have been. In those cases I think I ended them earlier, much like the way some life events go. I may be very happy or sad one moment, then something else in the next moment! I try to think how that naturally happens.

Where do you turn to when you get stuck?:

I look back too ^^ to the beginning. I try to find a source of Hope in the story instead of the more sorrowful or violent aspects because that helps me keep going in real life too!

What do you struggle with most?:

I think i struggle most with propper punctuation and overall grammar haha.

Any words of wisdom to share, advice to give to others?:

Always ask questions! Think about how exactly something works, or what the story is behind a story of a story. I think asking a lot of questions helps make writing more fun, and more explorative so that the reader can somehow feel the sense of deepness in the writing, to represent the deep thought you had, or the deep amount of questions you had.

And of course, like others have said -- write for yourself not just others. It is more real that way.

All the stories and writers here are amazing. I haven't been able to read and/or talk to all of them yet but I can still say so confidently :D