Heroic Star Fortress difficulty :D

Rheshalea

Sooo I finally did a Heroic Star Fortress a couple of days ago.

My Lightning Sorcerer is in about 208-216 gear, so nothing special. I took with me Xalek at level 37, on healing duty.

I had a blast! It felt almost like in the good old times, before the cakewalk started. It's not as if it was difficult, but there were a few times I actually had to heal myself, and even Xalek! A few times I had to THINK about what I did, and I felt as if I could have died from something other than missing an elevator or accidentally clicking something to summon a world boss.

I miss having at least a little challenge in normal game play, when out questing and derping around. I remember way back, when at least some of the bosses in the class stories were potentially deadly, like the boss I fought in that heroic Star Fortress.

Now, if only we could have that kind of challenge all over, in the whole game. As it should be. Not sleep-though-it easy or add-a-gazillion-HP and call it more difficult.

Yeah. I don't know why I even wrote this. Maybe because after watching the Uprisings with Guests-livestream, I needed to think about something, ANYthing positive about KotFE/KotET, and that's it. It's sad.

Switch to healer then it's challenging. DPS companion has the DPS needed to kill the boss but you cannot outheal the damage and tank is too slow so the healing bosses outheal their damage. That being said I wasn't able to kill only Naar Shadaa as a healer and it may be that I was doing it wrong(better micromanagement of companion etc.).

Thanks guys.

I know I can make the game more challenging for myself, but I kinda don't think I should need to. It used to be mostly great. It used to be like my experience in the heroic SF - I used to need to be aware of what I was doing from level 1 to ...well, honestly, I can hardly remember. Until SoR, I think, the game actually felt as if I really needed to have some caffeine in my bloodstream before I started the game up.

Now? ...well, I have five more heroic SFs to do. And I suppose I might try running some content with no companion or a really low level one. (as soon as I have some more coffee)

I am with you. At least the boss of the heroic Star Fortress is a challenge. Especially if you go for all the achievements.

I had the same feeling with the Eternal Championship solo. It took me many tries to become the sprint champion. I love the fact that they added solo content that is challenging enough to make you actually think about tactics and mechanics.

Unfortunately most challenging content is group content where it is not enough to understand the mechanics yourself. You will also have to find other people who are skilled enough. Thats difficult for people who are not part of a raid team, because they don't want to have a weekly swtor-schedule controlling their real life. Don't get me wrong: I love group content and I wish they would focus more on that. But if they decide to focus on solo content, they should still implement content that forces you to think about rotation, mechanics etc. Which they did with some Star Fortress and EC- rewards and achievements. Well done! More of that please!

A friend of mine recently asked "have they increased the difficulty of Heroic Star Fortresses? I'm dying all the time and cannot seem to get to the Exarch"...

I went to help him and found him in the last room of the sun reactor right before the final boss encounter... and after having easily slaughtered the last mobs and the Exarch I inspected his armor to find out he only had 2 of 7 pieces of armor on :D :D

Yeah, that's indeed a way to increase difficulty :D

I'd love it if they introduced difficulty levels for instanced content. It would potentially bring back old class story bosses to old levels of difficulty, which was never too trying, but you had to at least know your rotation, pay attention to mechanics, and use stuns or interrupts. You might even have to use a Heroic moment, something that now never gets used outside of FPs or Ops.

One of the downsides of replaying the old class stories for DvL is that you run into old class story bosses and practically one shot them. Vitiate is a complete joke now. The fight is now over in seconds. You could probably eat a sandwich while T7 successfully solos him.

How class story boss fights go down in SWTOR now:

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

• 2 months later...
I never did Heroic 2+ fortress with someone. Always solo with no problems. I don't say this to show off, but to say how easy is this game. I hope 5.0 bring some hard things, that CO-OP is needed.

Really, Ive been getting my *** handed to me, I can't complete some alerts because of it. I got a level 70 Merc even.

Voss and Nar Shadaa bosses are the most challenging. They are similar and a notch above the others. I had some issues with a 50 companion pulling hate and not being able to get it back before they went down till I geared up a bit more.

Also, since you're only in 208/216 (and so, iirc, bolstered to 230) I'm curious, how much mastery/endurance/presence do you get from datacrons? Mainly mastery. I've been trying to convince myself to get them.

I hear what you're saying about the challenge overall, but the Star Fortress trash fights make everything take so long just to get to three fights...the double knight ambush, (although I just CC one on my sorc), the 3rd reactor room, and the Exarch.

Have you tried vet chapters? They are similar in how they keep you on your toes more than other stuff, but the pacing is much better. Although before you start, be sure to have the chapter companion leveled to at least ~20-25 or so or it probably will just be frustrating.

Edited by lobstah_rofls

its stupid to simply make it a little harder for those who want challenge?

Well, if you want that sort of thing from the Star Fortresses, take a companion but skip the alliance bolster terminal at the beginning, as there is an achievement for that. Or maybe achievements, I forget and I don't have them myself.