Is the "RAPID" Recon Walker Going to be... RAPID????

Fuzzthecat

I think there is *a* precedent -- I believe the referral bonus speeder is always 110% (Speeder 3) speed regardless of your level, but i'd be [not unpleasantly] surprised if BWA's attention to detail was that great.

So it will be amusing to have a char on the Hyrotti Racer (busted up speeder from Chevin event that is now adaptable) outrunning a char with lower speeder rating in a 'Rapid" vehicle.

You have to search the forums but a dev once noted here that the mounts are at the max speed available within the hero engine.

That's not exactly what they said -- it was more like "any faster would cause problems". But Taxi speeders can obviously go faster, so it's not a hard limit (and on lower performance machines, you can easily see performance problems when high-speed taxis pass by). OTOH, the devs have upped graphics quality, so it's possible *current* low end systems could handle a "Tier 4". Not that I think it's likely (or even a good idea), just that it's *possible*.

I'm pretty sure OP was just making a point that calling something "Rapid" that moves at exactly the same speed as things that aren't "Rapid" is kind of lame.

Taxis can travel faster because they don't trigger spawns.

If vehicles were faster they'd be able to beat the current spawn rates. To fix that, it would require the server to calculate spawns at a greater distance ahead of the player. This would put an increased load on the servers. Clients would also need to manage handling more items, so they could respond to the increased distance, which could impact some player's PCs.

So I would find it very unlikely due to the potential problems it would cause.

It's a really fast walker, at 110% like all the other walker we got. It's the speeders, wheeled and tracked vehicles that are really slow in swtor. The speeders should be able to go over the speed of sound easily. There is no way a walker can do that, even with the best possible technology. A leg that hit a rock sticking out of the group at the speed of sound would badly damage or destroy the speeder.