Help me Any-wan, you're my only hope. : Me or Game Issues.

Syllendale

Long story short I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I can do to get my game running smoother without taking away too much of the graphics. I keep getting a stutter effect when I move camera around or start running in general and I am not sure if it is lag or what it is. My computer specs are below and would love some insight.

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer LENOVO

System Model 9541

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU LENOVO_MT

Processor Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 6BCN42WW(V2.02), 2/8/2013

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 2.02

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 12.8 GB

Total Virtual Memory 21.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 18.5 GB

Page File Space 5.92 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Name NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD1&SUBSYS_397217AA&REV_A1\4&23704A70&0&0008

Adapter Type GeForce GT 650M, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes

Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver Version 10.18.13.6472

INF File oem109.inf (Section091 section)

Color Planes Not Available

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Your system appears to be a laptop that is more than a couple years old. Laptops are not usually great gaming systems in the first place, and yours has a video card that would have been considered extremely entry level for a gaming laptop back then. Unfortunately, SWTOR is very hard on systems without a great graphics card, and being that it's a laptop, there's not much you can do to upgrade it. Sorry. Edited by Jimvinny

Is your Laptop running Hot? Because this game can, sometimes, overheat an older card by a bit, if it's in a confined space (a.k.a. an older laptop). If you are not playing with one of those cooling stands with a fan (or some equivalent) you might want to try that. Save your receipt, though, as it's kind of a Hail Mary play.

A classic with notebooks/laptops: make sure you have power saving turned off.

Is the stutter a general problem? Or only in certain areas (e.g very populated or "wide open" maps).

I would also manually close out all non essential programs through task manager prior to running swtor. Also op, make sure all your laptop fan vent holes are clear and free of dust build up.

Edited by Darkside

Are you trying to run it high/ultra? I just don't see that happening with that gpu. Sorry.

The thing that always trips up my card is the Shadow Quality. I throw that down to low and everything else max and I'm good.

Yeah, turn off shadows, and lower draw distance too.

Your system appears to be a laptop that is more than a couple years old. Laptops are not usually great gaming systems in the first place

This has been true in the past but is not true anymore. I have been using ONLY gaming laptops for 5 years now and I just got a new one. That new one wasn't even expensive, but it runs games greatly. You should read up on gaming laptops. It's the future. My dream-gaming-laptop costs 4199 Euros though. :eek::p

The graphic card is a key factor for this game though and it works better on a quad core than on a dual core (in my experience).

Processor Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Adapter Type GeForce GT 650M, NVIDIA compatible

That processor was released in 2012, and is relatively weak by today's standards. SWTOR is very CPU intensive.

The GT 650M is not too bad though, but SWTOR needs CPU power as well as GPU.

Since SWTOR (and other MMOs and some other games such as GTA V) uses both GPU and CPU heavily, heat build-up and thermal throttling can become an issue with laptops. May sure you laptop's cooling vents are free of dust, etc. and keep the cooling system open - that is - use the laptop on a hard flat surface such as a desk, not on top of a bed.

Set your Power options (when plugged into the power brick) to max performance.

If heat or thermal throttling seems to be an issue, turn the graphics settings down so that the GPU produces less heat (there's not much you can do to reduce CPU usage).

The best solution, of course, would be to build yourself a desktop to use for gaming. A basic i5-6500 based system with an RX 470 graphics card can be built relatively cheaply.

Edited by JediQuaker

Thank you again everyone. (such a great community!).. I have tried a few options, one being rolling back my driver on the graphics card. That helped quite a bit, but not 100% as desired. I have it on medium graphics and it is fine enough till maybe tax time (My Christmas heh).

Again I appreciate everyone's responses :)