Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Making my way back, but game performance?

Thwaite

Hello all,

Bought the CE 5 years ago or so, played 6 months-quit, now coming back to try it again but I have an issue. The game moves like a bus with 4 flat tires. My big questions is, why? Latency is really not bad at about 80-90ms, I set the graphics setting to low and did a few old ninja tricks to bring the graphics even lower to save performance. I really felt like with the game being older combined the computer I have, I should not have any issues. But I do and a lot of them. The game just run very clunky and un-optimized, but I just don't think it is. I seem to think it is my settings or something. Any advice?

Computer Basics:

i7-4700MQ @ 2.4Ghz

12GB RAM

GTX 780M 4GB

SSD + 7200rpm HD

Thank you! :rak_02:

Hello all,

Bought the CE 5 years ago or so, played 6 months-quit, now coming back to try it again but I have an issue. The game moves like a bus with 4 flat tires. My big questions is, why? Latency is really not bad at about 80-90ms, I set the graphics setting to low and did a few old ninja tricks to bring the graphics even lower to save performance. I really felt like with the game being older combined the computer I have, I should not have any issues. But I do and a lot of them. The game just run very clunky and un-optimized, but I just don't think it is. I seem to think it is my settings or something. Any advice?

Computer Basics:

i7-4700MQ @ 2.4Ghz

12GB RAM

GTX 780M 4GB

SSD + 7200rpm HD

Thank you! :rak_02:

I had the same issue up until recently, but luckily there is a solution! I pretty much doubled my FPS.

Step 1

In-game, switch your Anti Aliasing and Ansiostropic Filtering OFF. Set Visible Character Limit to the lowest setting (this impacts performance a ton and doesn't really affect the look/graphics of the game).

Step 2

Download Nvidia Inspector

Step 3

Copy these settings.

http://i.imgur.com/ePHcUl4.png

Thats it!

My specs arent the same, (see below) but I'm managing to get 95-110FPS @ 1080p across the board.

Intel Core i5 2500K

16GB RAM

GTX 1060

I had the same issue up until recently, but luckily there is a solution! I pretty much doubled my FPS.

Step 1

In-game, switch your Anti Aliasing and Ansiostropic Filtering OFF. Set Visible Character Limit to the lowest setting (this impacts performance a ton and doesn't really affect the look/graphics of the game).

Step 2

Download Nvidia Inspector

Step 3

Copy these settings.

http://i.imgur.com/ePHcUl4.png

Thats it!

My specs arent the same, (see below) but I'm managing to get 95-110FPS @ 1080p across the board.

Intel Core i5 2500K

16GB RAM

GTX 1060

Ok, I did it. Do I need to leave the apps running? or close them?

Its most likely your cpu bottlenecking as the Hero engine is only utilizing one of it's cores, since the game only runs on 1 thread. Shadows has always been cpu intensive so if they are set on high try changing them to low or off, it will improve performance.

Good luck

Open up Task Manager, do a sort by CPU and then another by Disk and see what's taking away the computer's attention.

I know with Windows 10 now with its constant attempts to upgrade itself, I'm having to walk away for the first 10 minutes every day because updating is maxing out the CPU and the bandwidth. And anything that I delete from Windows is getting reinstalled.

edit: Just in case may want to force a repair just to make sure nothing is broken on your side - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729911

Edited by dr_mike

The worst offender I've seen is the Shadow Map Resolution, make sure that is at it's lowest setting.

Could try overclocking your CPU if your comfortable with that. Shouldn't be an issue but it might help.

Also, don't expect good performance in WZ, if that's what you are doing, nothing will help. Otherwise, you should be able to get decent perf out of it.

If you're having to set the graphics to low on that particular Rig you've got issues mate. Sounds to me like something is going wonky in your system. You've either neglected basic computer maintenance, missed driver updates, or have an actual hardware issue. That setup should be able to run SWTOR at max no problemo.

If you're having to set the graphics to low on that particular Rig you've got issues mate. Sounds to me like something is going wonky in your system. You've either neglected basic computer maintenance, missed driver updates, or have an actual hardware issue. That setup should be able to run SWTOR at max no problemo.

I was kinda thinking the same. My own specs are not that far off and I play on high settings no problem. I get some FPS drops, but nothing unplayable.

^ This...

First thing, given that it is an older computer, it may need a dust clean out with compressed air...

Second, it may be due for a clean Windows install...

Finally, it should run the game at least at high detail with AA and shadows off at a smooth 60 FPS, at least outside of warzones, those suck no matter what your computer is...

Open up Task Manager, do a sort by CPU and then another by Disk and see what's taking away the computer's attention.

I know with Windows 10 now with its constant attempts to upgrade itself, I'm having to walk away for the first 10 minutes every day because updating is maxing out the CPU and the bandwidth. And anything that I delete from Windows is getting reinstalled.

edit: Just in case may want to force a repair just to make sure nothing is broken on your side - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729911

You can defer upgrades, you know this right? I had huge issues with the Anniversary Edition and had to rollback to a more stable version.

Side note to OP, try using less quickbars, you may find your performance will improve slightly.

Got to agree here I have run SWTOR at max on rigs less powerful. make sure your internet connection is all it should be, check your drivers and look for malware that may be eating your resources or slowing you down.

Hope this helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.