Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Anyone else think....

CrazyCT

.....that the people doing so much complaining "on behalf of" preferred players being excluded, are actually wanting it put in so they can drop their subs and still get full access to the game? Or should I get my tinfoil hat re-tuned?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should probably get your tinfoil hat retuned. A large portion of the game are people who sub to get expansion content, then go prefered and use ops/pvp passes to play with their friends, as the 4.0 model encouraged. 5.0 completely shafts this demographic that was created with the model of 4.0, but telling them their ops/pvp passes are worthless, and they can not continue to play the way they have for the last year. Edited by SoraStrife

Hadn't ocurred to me. I have a hard time understanding that someone goes preferred intentionally in the first place.

My friend is one of the best healers in the game. He subbed for a bit, but went preferred because of lack of content, and by the looks of it he will probably leave the game altogether. Up to now he used ops passes to play a few ops.

A lot of subs after 4.0 went preferred because they were not interested in paying 12-13 euros per month for no content at all, or the awful HK themed rewards (I have destroyed EVERY single one of those ugly things). They wanted to play ops, so they just got ops passes, and played.

My friend is one of the best healers in the game. He subbed for a bit, but went preferred because of lack of content, and by the looks of it he will probably leave the game altogether. Up to now he used ops passes to play a few ops.

A lot of subs after 4.0 went preferred because they were not interested in paying 12-13 euros per month for no content at all, or the awful HK themed rewards (I have destroyed EVERY single one of those ugly things). They wanted to play ops, so they just got ops passes, and played.

Surely its only right that there has to be some reward/motivation to sub towards the game to maintain viable continued and additional gaming content.

If your friend subbed for "a bit" he can hardly have consumed all the content the game has to offer. And bad and all as the HK rewards were you haven't destroyed them all....the helmet is still available in your collections!! Your friend was one healer on one server there are plenty more to fill the void he leaves.

All that being said I would gladly pay a "box price and continue to subscribe" for a new chunk of an additional amount of class story like we got at the start of the game (8 x 50 levels). The game needs a real lift and I'm not convinced that Light v Dark battles on their own is going to turn too many peoples heads once we have completed 9 more chapters of a single story.

Since Raiders and PvPers excluded from content with 5.0 announcement as well it's questionable if it's still worth to pay a sub for a single player game. I bet that some people at EA asking the same questions in their meetings because that could be a real issue for MMO market 2017. Edited by KnightOfTython

I mean, if it was, so what? Either way, they are people who want to play the game. My reasons for being concerned about it are not entirely selfless; I want the game to not be dead and queues to pop. I want population to go up, rather than down.

And I don't realistically believe that a pure sub model can make that happen for this game. So excluding non-subs from taking part in end-game (which is where pop is most important) obviously looks like a bad decision to me.

.....that the people doing so much complaining "on behalf of" preferred players being excluded, are actually wanting it put in so they can drop their subs and still get full access to the game? Or should I get my tinfoil hat re-tuned?

Re-tune. If I drop my sub, it's because I'm not playing the game.

My friend was a sub from launch until Feb. 2016 and the main reason she unsubbed was due to the fact the content that was being added she could not play with her boyfriend on it. If they did, they had to do it twice and half the time one of them had to log out and back in to do it again for the other.

She enjoyed playing the game with her boyfriend but when the changed occured she dropped her sub. She said she did not pay for a game to play solo. She logs in every so often to see if there are any changes.

Personally I agree with the idea of making the end game gear locked behind a sub wall is a good idea. It encourages those that want the best gear to keep subscribe.

I do see the other side however, and the reason for many players last expansion who subscribed for a few months, then used weekly Ops/WZ passes to do the content they wanted however.. The fault for this isn't necessarily on the players trying to get a free pass and not pay for the game. While players should continue to contribute funds to the game (so we can get more content), it is BW's responsibility to keep content flowing for every aspect of this MMO. They have not, and I have seen raiders, and PvPer's unsub and use the ops/wz passes because of this. If BW expects more people to subscribe, and not drop subscriptions to go preferred they need to make content for not just the story people, but the MMO players here. PvP, GSF, Operations, Flashpoints, and yes even story for the Single players we have here consistently. I know I'd rather get all of these things in an expansion and have to pay for it, + my subscription to get all in an expansion.

You should probably get your tinfoil hat retuned. A large portion of the game are people who sub to get expansion content, then go prefered and use ops/pvp passes to play with their friends, as the 4.0 model encouraged. 5.0 completely shafts this demographic that was created with the model of 4.0, but telling them their ops/pvp passes are worthless, and they can not continue to play the way they have for the last year.

I see it the other way. The passes and such were to give people a taste (again for preferred), of what it was to play all the content and want to sub/resub. The fact that people paid $15 to sub and get access to the new content then unsubbed and bought passes or had friends buy them, was I'm sure, not what was intended.

I have to think that of the small number of players playing the very hardest content, very few are not subs, or would not be willing to sub. I get that a few people don't want to pay the $15. But, if you're actually playing on a regular basis, this $15 is still one of the best returns for your entertainment $, IMO.

Only those running the hardest content would be completely screwed, because only the very top level gear will be out of reach. Besides, they can sub long enough to get gear and then drop back down.

Ops should be fine, if people can keep from overreacting. Though, I suppose they will overreact. PvP, however, is going to suffer greatly, but mostly because RNG grind for gear. The barrier to entry for competitive PvP just got significantly greater.

Also, just to make sure it always gets stated: Remove RNG for gear!!!

I'm a little surprised they're doubling down on the sub model, myself, instead of adding to the utility and flexibility of passes and (slowly or not) migrating the player base to a model of "buy CCs, convert to passes for the content you want to do, or sell them to other players to make credits fast" in hopes of mostly phasing out subs.

I'm a little surprised they're doubling down on the sub model, myself, instead of adding to the utility and flexibility of passes and (slowly or not) migrating the player base to a model of "buy CCs, convert to passes for the content you want to do, or sell them to other players to make credits fast" in hopes of mostly phasing out subs.

That idea is just the worst. I'm not sure you have accounted for the value of inactive or low-activity subs. I am certain a significant point of the sub model is that people will just keep paying and not cancel when they think they might play a bit.

That idea is just the worst. I'm not sure you have accounted for the value of inactive or low-activity subs. I am certain a significant point of the sub model is that people will just keep paying and not cancel when they think they might play a bit.

For a long time I played a game with exactly that model. The main difference was that the passes were calibrated in login days (except for one pass that was calibrated in calendar days, but it allowed earning money while offline, so you got a benefit for each calendar day.

The model was so successful that it basically entirely supplanted their (previous) subscription model. And they didn't even have an equivalent of the Cartel Market to sell cosmetics directly (though many cosmetic items crafted required a CC-equivalent "delivery fee" at the time of crafting)

It's more a I did play as a Preferred and know exactly what it is- compared to some rather interesting assumptions that are making the rounds. I was also more active in my guild a month ago before I had the end of a book to write and the LS vs DS stuff I need to finish and know we are hemorrhaging Preferred players. That the non-subs who hit Preferred status as new players are not $5 unicorns, but those who bought the Shadow of Revan expansion accidentally back when it was up for sale.

I get to play more in December for me and I want pops, also I know subs who have been playing forever who have left and most just don't want to hang around. The few that do... there might be some who are arguing for that point, but we don't normally have so many and I don't usually care to argue the point for long. I'd say there are just as many subs going attack dog on Preferred or F2P existing because they need the stick to stay subbed, and have no self-control on my own tinfoil hat.

It's a thought but one you prolly shouldn't think too much about. Everyone has valid concerns for the game and deserve to be heard.

Not everyone. But some do love to complain, without the ability to complain, they'd stop breathing. However, this has been true of everything 2016. People get offended, more offended actually, on behalf of others. Take the Disney movie Moana, made by the Polynesians about Polynesia. The halloween costume was taken off the shelves because white people and minorities were up in arms saying it was racist to the Polynesian people. Hawaiians posted saying they made it, so they were cool with it. It was still removed for racism reasons. It's vigilante attitude. If someone perceives an injustice, even if they have zero knowledge, they go on a crusade. This time, it's unfair that people getting the game for free do not have the same access as people paying $15 a month.

I made a comment in another post and someone told me off saying how they as a preferred probably put more money into the game than me so they deserve to be treated better. I was a founder. I suppose it's possible they have as I do take breaks when I financially cannot afford it, but I've not always been active on the forums when playing either so who knows.

Or you can look at it as people looking at the new xpac and saying thanks but no thanks I rather stay preferred.

<current year> is so terrible amirite

I think it's getting worse as the level of entitlement people seem to have grows. I'mma add, when people think they should have more or don't like something, instead of being polite, or helpful, they attack others and their families and say that the person deserved it. I saw this on the forum a few days ago.

Edited by americanaussie

A cartel market, and subscribing, is double dipping, get rid of one or the other. Personally I'd rather be in a sub only game, but those are fading away.

I'd rather have a sub focused game than a cartel market focused game, but its not happening. It might be time to hang my mouse and keyboard up by the end of this year and move on to other things. I do not think there will be a good MMO again for years to come.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.