Power-tech or Mercanery

Darrth_Australus

Ask yourself, if there was a best advanced class would you see both classes running around? It depends on your preferences.

If you want a ranged tank that is practically unkillable in PvP go for the powertech. You get a single blaster, but at the same time you get some awesome skills.

If you want a somewhat squishy damage dealer or alternate healer then go for the merc. Merc dishes out some sick damage but has its own problems at times.

Edited by onemanlan

I'm Powertech Advanced prototype. I love it.

I have no idea if it does more or less damage than a merc, because there are no damage meters and I've not really been in a competitive environment for it to matter.

What I do know, is that AdvProto is fun to play with tons of mobility and tricks. I think a Merc tends to feel like you're just a master shooter, while Powertech makes you feel more like Inspector Gadget.

It's amazing what I can fit in my armor. I've got a retractable blade, a flamethrower, a pistol, a rail gun, various missiles...

I love the versatility of the powertech.

I'm Powertech Advanced prototype. I love it.

I have no idea if it does more or less damage than a merc, because there are no damage meters and I've not really been in a competitive environment for it to matter.

What I do know, is that AdvProto is fun to play with tons of mobility and tricks. I think a Merc tends to feel like you're just a master shooter, while Powertech makes you feel more like Inspector Gadget.

It's amazing what I can fit in my armor. I've got a retractable blade, a flamethrower, a pistol, a rail gun, various missiles...

I love the versatility of the powertech.

Everything he said.

More seriously though, in the beta I played a merc to 15. I was pretty sure I'd start a merc again as my "real main". When I reached 10 and got to the Imperial Fleet and met with my advanced class trainer I wasn't so sure anymore. I felt like wanting to try something else, but I was afraid powertech is just another tank who's not that good in tanking, and therefore would suck in dps also.

Boy was I wrong. Not a day goes past that I don't thank my friend for making me choose powertech. Instead of a lousy tank, I got an incredibly-fun-to-play tank, and instead of crap dps, I got a true killing machine.

But I guess mercs can be fun to play too. :p

Edited by Juuhana

I'll also add that I didn't think fighting animations and sounds could be as visceral as a lightsaber. I started as a Jedi Knight because I wanted to hear that whoosh/whoosh/whoosh...

But the explosions, electric darts, punches, blades, and fire plumes of the powertech are every bit as visceral. It's a visual and auditory delight to kill things.

My mercs 26 and I love it. we sure as heck aren't squishy. Dish out crazy dmg. 9 sec single knockback, 20 sec aoe knockback/snare..which launches far a hell, unload refresh, snare on unload duration, good heals, dmg redux in shields, missiles galore, crazy armor piercing...could go on but I'm at work lol. Loving this class.

As a level 46 Powertech who has pvped non stop since hitting 10 (Valor 46) I can assure you Powertechs are def killable. We are easily kited by broken channel spells that channel thru walls or when you out range them. That slow and root you. If you dont go the Tank tree you will get squished pretty fast by good players. Without having your Jet Charge as a gap closer against good range players it is VERY hard to close the gap. If you want to be at range id suggest Merc. As melee can def have some troubles with gap closing without it. Once in close you can put the hurt on no doubt but if your booted back be prepared to slow walk and get fragged. If your merc you get to spam Tracer Missle all day, since it hits like a truck.

My mercs 26 and I love it. we sure as heck aren't squishy. Dish out crazy dmg. 9 sec single knockback, 20 sec aoe knockback/snare..which launches far a hell, unload refresh, snare on unload duration, good heals, dmg redux in shields, missiles galore, crazy armor piercing...could go on but I'm at work lol. Loving this class.

21 Merc here and it's an awesome AC. Merc/Arsenal can mow down entire packs of mobs with ease (really, just two abilities and they are all dead).

Also, if you learn to kite a little bit, you can kill anything solo.

I am quite sure the Powertech is also fun, but I love my Merc.

Irrespective of AC, Bounty Hunter is where it's at!

• 8 months later...

Sorry, but I have to LOL at all the sub-50 claiming their experiences are representative of how the AC plays...

A LOT changes at 50. And if you are serious about this game, most of your time will be spent at lev 50. Not sub-50....

Edited by Macroecon

I'm in kinda smilar boat myself. I have my Bounty Hunter at 12 and he is waiting to taek his advanced class. I've seen in this thread reasons to kinda take eitehr one, but nothing to really answer the question.

So, that being said-let me ask it in a slightly different way...

On a PVE server, getting very little if any help from anyone, which of the two classes is capable of dealing out the MOST damage, while still being able to take the hits that you'll get in say a HEROIC 2+?

On a side note-what the best skills to take? I was leaning towards Cybertech myself, becasue I have others that have armstech and armortech.

Edited by Jake_Storm
typos

I'm in kinda smilar boat myself. I have my Bounty Hunter at 12 and he is waiting to taek his advanced class. I've seen in this thread reasons to kinda take eitehr one, but nothing to really answer the question.

So, that being said-let me ask it in a slightly different way...

On a PVE server, getting very little if any help from anyone, which of the two classes is capable of dealing out the MOST damage, while still being able to take the hits that you'll get in say a HEROIC 2+?

On a side note-what the best skills to take? I was leaning towards Cybertech myself, becasue I have others that have armstech and armortech.

Well Im assuming you're talking about dailies on all 3 planets. A reasonably geared Merc (Pyro or Arsenal, I prefer Pyro for dailies) will let you solo all dailies (minus End Of Torvix) in a little under 2 hours once you have the fights/routes down. Having a reasonably geared Blizz/Skadge (tank) is a must for soloing the heroics. I prefer Blizz cause a Jawa tank is pretty cool.

Cybertech is a good choice and a money maker as well.

Well Im assuming you're talking about dailies on all 3 planets. A reasonably geared Merc (Pyro or Arsenal, I prefer Pyro for dailies) will let you solo all dailies (minus End Of Torvix) in a little under 2 hours once you have the fights/routes down. Having a reasonably geared Blizz/Skadge (tank) is a must for soloing the heroics. I prefer Blizz cause a Jawa tank is pretty cool.

Cybertech is a good choice and a money maker as well.

I am afarid I don't understand. I gues I am talking about the Dalies, but, how can you see to it your MERC is reasonably geared this early? also, what is a Blizz/ Skadge Tank-are those for the Powertech?

I have 2 BH's at 50, one is a PT pyro and the other is a Merc Arsenal. I started with the Merc because I wanted to PvE most of the time and thought a ranged AC would be 'easier' in some regards. However, I really got into PvP and following a nerf to the AC (which wasn't needed) I started the whole game again as a Powertech. I abandoned a War Hero to do this so it wasn't an easy decision, but frankly the PT Pyro was worth it. With 1.4 on the way the PT Pyro will now be nerfed, but so will the Merc.

I'm not really sure what to do. I want to play BH but Bioware are messing with things everytime they release new content. Arguably I should be choosing an AC for more important reasons, like the playstyle or the feel of it... I've played MMO's for a long time and I am well aware that this 'feeling' doesn't matter much when your beloved Merc is repeatedly beaten by opponents who have the odds stacked in their favour.

I will probably stick with PT Pyro and un-sub if the changes are really as badly planned as I, and most of the community, expect them to be. So, my advice is: toss a coin.

I play a merc and I loved it until 1.4 hit today. We got screwed over big time in this patch and I bet every Arsenal Merc will easily agree with me on that one. At this poiint I wish I would have went Powertech since they got all the bonuses out of this patch.

ive got a lvl 8 bounty hunter.. which is best

Do NOT base your decision on < level 50 toons.

I have a level 50 Merc with valor level over 90 in full WH/augmented gear.

My level 50 Vanguard with valor under 60 in recruit/BM is much better. PERIOD

I do not know why these threads even get repeated... there have been so many of them.

It does not matter what patch the comparison is made on PT >>> Merc.

21 Merc here and it's an awesome AC. Merc/Arsenal can mow down entire packs of mobs with ease (really, just two abilities and they are all dead).

Also, if you learn to kite a little bit, you can kill anything solo.

I am quite sure the Powertech is also fun, but I love my Merc.

Irrespective of AC, Bounty Hunter is where it's at!

I agree seems the Merc is more balnced out killing machine whee powertech is kill at once..where I can heal a partner in my shield bubble and rain rockets down on them afterwards taking 3/4 of anyone life in the area then a flamethrower and a uppercut( hiayuken ) and its done experiance points across the boards....powertech allowd you to be last man standing but at that final cost...

• 3 weeks later...

The merc is fantastic at PVE, no doubts. With Mako, I've taken everything solo. We are a true PVE powerhouse.

At PVP, though, we're dead meat. We've got zero survivability and no means to get away from the melee classes. And they know it. I get jumped in every war zone once the jedi see me. Mercs are free kills.