Just returned 4 years later... STILL NO CHAT BUBBLES? Seriously???

cctman

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as there is an option to Turn the Bubbles off, i'm all for it.

Would rather have a new Operation than Chat-bubbles though.

Maybe they could add a new Op called Dimension of Bubbles, where every Boss attacked you (spammed the screen) with chatbubbles.

Every time an add was hit, you'd see a bubble saying "AH!" "OW!" "OUCH!" etc

Edited by KWONRYU

Would they though? Like the "blahblah guild controls this area" pop-up that we still don't have an option to turn off?

Also, will it still slow the game down, even if you have them turned off? I remember reading that we are limited to 25 quests because the game has to plot all the Quest points, and where they are in relation to the player, (even when they are on different planets) of anyone in your group (and groups can still be up to 24) even if you have them turned off. Would the game still have to "draw" all the chat bubbles even with them turned off?

Not signed.

Don't need more stuff on my screen. Of all the needed things & wanted things for cosmetic this one is one I'm against.

You your chat window & just create different tabs for what you want/need. Whispering people has always worked quite well in this game. ;) lol

In SWG, at any of the major mission or trade hubs, the Chat Bubbles were useless. You had to use the Chat box to scroll through all the bubbles because it was just a sea of barker droids, credit sellers, advertising, etc... someone feet from you could be lost in this cloud lol

That is completely contradictory. You would not use chat bubbles and scroll through chat. Those are two different things all together. I can't believe I'm having to defend a basic mechanic of a game that has existed since the dawn of 3D game interaction. It is a design standard, a usability issue, a QE/QA issue. A chat bubble is to help facilitate basic communication between two or more parties when they are in the same spatial area. Chat scrolling windows are crowded and are a cluttered forum of area communication. This is not a very hard concept folks. This is fundamental usability. I could care less if a hundred people replied back on this forum that they don't need it. Because the statistical sample size is based on the wrong population of users. The majority of users that probably found this to be a real issue are probably not even playing the game any longer and left because it was a factor in continuing game play. Like I said before, this is the exact reason why I left 4 years ago. It feels robotic, dead space, missing an entire 3 dimensional element of fundamental communication. You don't have to agree with me or even like it. But facts are facts. It is a fundamental usability expectation and standard that today's MMO players absolutely expect from any game.

Edited by cctman

That is completely contradictory. You would not use chat bubbles and scroll through chat. Those are two different things all together. I can't believe I'm having to defend a basic mechanic of a game that has existed since the dawn of 3D game interaction. It is a design standard, a usability issue, a QE/QA issue. A chat bubble is to help facilitate basic communication between two or more parties when they are in the same spatial area. Chat scrolling windows are crowded and are a cluttered forum of area communication. This is not a very hard concept folks. This is fundamental usability. I could care less if a hundred people replied back on this forum that they don't need it. Because the statistical sample size is based on the wrong population of users. The majority of users that probably found this to be a real issue are probably not even playing the game any longer and left because it was a factor in continuing game play. Like I said before, this is the exact reason why I left 4 years ago. It feels robotic, dead space, missing an entire 3 dimensional element of fundamental communication. You don't have to agree with me or even like it. But facts are facts. It is a fundamental usability expectation and standard that today's MMO players absolutely expect from any game.

Prove your facts are facts. Until then, I don't care if you say they are a fundamental usability expectation. Because so far you're getting minimal support, so why the hell should I believe that is needed? Especially since I happen to be of the camp that could not care less if they are implemented.

Why do I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall about personal preferences? Are you going to argue about your opinion on the matter of give me a scientific reason as to why this is not a usability standard in 3D MMO games? By the way chat bubbles ARE a usability issue. They negate clear and concise communication.

Prove they are. Nobody else is making that claim.

LOL, but you're right... they do negate clear and concise communication.

Edited by azudelphi

Which heavily dense planet would this be then? Have I missed it? If you ran up to me and stared at me, chances are I'm afk if standing still (or in a cutscene conversation). Why would I care what you you wanted to say to me? I can read that in the chat window quite easily, should I so choose to turn that option on in a custom chat window with guild chat only. Otherwise the window will be closed, I certainly wouldn't want to start seeing chat bubbles everywhere I went, I'll have the chat window closed for a reason.

Look, it's not as though this game has dynamic events or world bosses, everything is mission log based or you queue up for PvP / GSF / Operations / Flashpoints. Either that or you sit on fleet going "LF3M Lvl 65 Tat H2", which doesn't take long to get a few whispers and off you pop.

Why would I want to see chat bubbles? I'd only turn them off in options, which defeats the purpose of what you are trying to say here, surely? Fine if people want them for RP. I'd rather see other areas of the game that have already been developed, updated and refreshed first. Sure, if BioWare have the downtime and developer hours, work on things like this feature. Not something I'd want to see currently.

Why do I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall about personal preferences? Are you going to argue about your opinion on the matter of give me a scientific reason as to why this is not a usability standard in 3D MMO games? By the way chat bubbles ARE a usability issue. They negate clear and concise communication.

It's almost like today's McDonald culture is running amuck, and that as an employer its a miracle if they even show up to work every day. Does BioWare even employ devs? Or are they outsourcing there bugs in a 2 year backlog queue to ODesk to a 3rd world country?

How about you stop your sense of entitlement culture?

HAI!

I actively made a decision to stop financially supporting this game four years ago, but I decided to bless you all with my return. Henceforth, I demand the Devs bend to my will.

Signed,

The OP

This too.

Edited by cieraa

Prove your facts are facts. Until then, I don't care if you say they are a fundamental usability expectation.

Doesn't every 3D MMO have them? I cannot think of one that doesn't.

They really help to show when someone around you is speaking. That is their only use,but it's useful, and a staple of the genre. Seemed strange to not have them when the game released, still strange to not have them now.

Speaking to another person in a public channel on fleet is annoying because of the lack of speech bubbles, which is a problem other MMOs simply do not have. To me it seems as strange as not having mail boxes or emotes, an MMO is completely playable without them but their loss would be felt and somewhat baffling.

Speaking to another person in a public channel on fleet is annoying because of the lack of speech bubbles, which is a problem other MMOs simply do not have. To me it seems as strange as not having mail boxes or emotes, an MMO is completely playable without them but their loss would be felt and somewhat baffling.

Use whispers or custom chat channels.

Use whispers or custom chat channels.

Clearly.

That is why I said speaking in a public channel is annoying.

It's not some end of the world issue, Like I said. But I would argue that chat bubble have more use than dance emotes, and you can bet your butt that if the devs didn't include that, people would be asking for them as well.

Chat bubbles have been a normal part of MMOs for the better part of 15 years, it's not a strange request is all.

FFXIV doesn't have them.

I don't think they're in STO, but it's been a while since I've logged in -- so I'm not 100% sure about this.

You are absolutely right! I remember though the devs came out on FF14 and said they cannot do them because of PS3 limitations, so it's a legit reason they cannot be done.

I haven't played STO is so long I cannot remember if that is true myself. I do remember that ESO released with no chat bubbles and it was heavily requested then became one the the first released mods.

My only point was that acting like chat bubbles are not normal in 3D MMOs is silly. It's a pretty reasonable request.

devs came out on FF14 and said they cannot do them because of PS3 limitations, so it's a legit reason they cannot be done.

The Devs came here & said the same thing.

What with how this engine is, it'd probably crash the game. Much less peoples frame rates, ping, & whatever else gets screwed up with it. lol

My only point was that acting like chat bubbles are not normal in 3D MMOs is silly. It's a pretty reasonable request.

Well, it all depends upon your point of view.

75% of the MMOs I've played don't have them. (Wildstar being the only one that did).

And 100% of the MMOs I've actually enjoyed don't have them. :D

Edited by Khevar

The Devs came here & said the same thing.

What with how this engine is, it'd probably crash the game. Much less peoples frame rates, ping, & whatever else gets screwed up with it. lol

Seriously?

How is that even possible?

A PC engine that cannot handle chat bubbles is baffling to me. I stand by that asking for chat bubbles is a reasonable request. But if they would truly do all that then it is reasonable to not implement them, though that speaks volumes about this engine, I suppose you get what you pay for though free game = cheap engine.

Seriously?

How is that even possible?

A PC engine that cannot handle chat bubbles is baffling to me. I stand by that asking for chat bubbles is a reasonable request. But if they would truly do all that then it is reasonable to not implement them, though that speaks volumes about this engine, I suppose you get what you pay for though free game = cheap engine.

Uh, the engine was built with a massive budget and originally as a buy-and-sub only game. Any shortcomings have to do with the game engine they chose and not a F2P change that happened after the game was built.

What other MMOs have done in the past is irrelevant here. The fact is that this game is first and foremost a Star Wars RPG, that just happens to be set in an online open world format. It was intended to be the successor to the Knights of the Old Republic games, not Habbo Hotel in space.

For most story oriented players (which for better or worse is probably the biggest chunk of the current player base) a feature like chat bubbles would be very immersion breaking to the personal Star Wars experience that is SWTOR's main selling point. The dev's intention is for players to be running missions and experiencing the story, and for that purpose the chat and whisper functions in the game work perfectly fine.