You know the game is too easy.....

mmmbuddah

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what he's arguing, specifically, but I would like to chime in here and say... obviously they are aware and are doing something about it, and that's a great thing.

What I have a problem with is people distorting or misunderstanding what ways the game is easy, or making it into some carnival show of how we can try to prove how easy it is, while conveniently avoiding the situations where the game poses a natural challenge.

Personally, I run around with my companion on damage most of the time now and it adds an extra bit of challenge to most encounters, especially if I'm pulling more than one group, dealing with elites, or going from pull to pull without healing up to full. The fact that I can so easily change how difficult the experience is for me is almost a difficulty setting in itself and if I couldn't do that, maybe I'd be one of the people in here mocking the difficulty of the game.

But I can and I do, so what is there for me to be bothered by?

Edit: Mainly what bothers me is the tedium. But I've never really liked the "endless hordes of mobs, spaced out in perfect packs" crutch that MMOs rely on.

Putting your companions on damage does not make it more challenging, -Generally- . In a TINY amount of situations you would probably in fact die, because you have no way of healing yourself, but for the overwhelming majority of the game, you do not even need a healer.

This thread has inspired me. I have a Sith Warrior called Hannover Fist (Heavy Metal reference). I am going to try and level with no gear and only using the unarmed attacks. I will let you guys know how it goes.

As to companions, I will set them to heal and only take influence raises from story, no gifts.

We already know how it's going to go. You're never going to die, your companion is never going to die, and posters here will still try to craft an argument for why the difficulty in SWTOR isn't broken.

It's the datacrons + the presence boost from legacy that's making everything so easy.

True if you're still within your legacy... but start on a new server with no boosts and buffs.... and it's pretty much just as easy.

So it comes down to experience .... not standing in stupid and using your CDs properly....

However, if all you're relying on is a vast experience of the game and knowing the mechanics.....there probably isn't much for you to do on these planets that you haven't done dozens of times before anyways.

Bottom line is that it's designed to be noob friendly- coz noobs just buy lots of stuff on the CM to look pretty and deck out their strongholds and that $$$$$ money goes on exciting shiny new content..... like um...er..... milti-million dollar live-action trailers, and finding new ways to recycle the same old stuff! -Yay!:rolleyes:

So of course most of it is not hard, but your video examples conveniently leave out the common scenarios where it's likely to go wrong. To reiterate: Pulling too much at once, pulling too many mobs with channeled ranged burst, pulling too many with powerful CC.

And exactly how common are these "common scenarios"? Right, they aren't common, unless you go out of your way to make them happen. They happen when the player did something wrong or could have done things better: pulling too much aggro. I'm sure the OP and the others and anyone who actually play the game are aware of that, and I see no problem with them proving their point using common fight scenarios, including heroics even.

Before the game's difficulty was dumbed down, those scenarios could mean death even for a well-geared player, and that's justified because the player made the mistake of pulling too much aggro or failing to use CC. Now, it's easier to survive these mistakes but still there is a real possibility of death, because that's not how the game is supposed to be played. That's not how the game is normally played - there is a reason why groups of mobs are separate and spaced out. Fighting mobs in these scenarios naked and dying does little to prove that "the game is not too easy". It's not the appropriate test.

The other thing to keep in mind with running naked and doing stuff where you get synced downwards, is the sometimes weirdness of syncing and bolster. If you want to prove any kind of point, you should be comparing the stats with each and making sure there's a meaningful difference. Furthermore, if you are doing so little damage that your companion is soaking up all of it and your lack of armor doesn't come into play, that is self-defeating of the point of running naked as well.

The point of running naked and fighting with bare hands is to show that the player can do and be geared with virtually nothing and survive most commonly encountered fights, with the companion doing all the work, healing and dpsing between heals. That point is well-proven by the videos. While no one has posted any video yet, I won't be surprised if things aren't noticeably more difficult without level-sync. As for whether that shows the game is "too easy", I guess it's subjective, and there'll always be people who don't think the game's too easy unless an entire planet's mobs are aggro'ed and the player and his/ her companions are the last one standing.

Edited by evelynchk