swtor on gtx1080 and big screen

Zez-Kai-Ell

I ran a test from my PC with a gtx970 to my 50" 4k tv.

It looked great on Ord Mantell doing the heroics, but it was a bit laggy. As nice as my PC is, that was a LOT of screen for the single card to process.

I ran it for 5 minutes and stopped. Haven't done it since.

My usual setup is running in surround (eyefinity mode) on three 23" monitors.

This is my preferred method of play. After getting used to the extra screens, it's really hard to go back to only one monitor, no matter how big it is.

It looked great on Ord Mantell doing the heroics, but it was a bit laggy. As nice as my PC is, that was a LOT of screen for the single card to process.

This is my preferred method of play. After getting used to the extra screens, it's really hard to go back to only one monitor, no matter how big it is.

you even provided a video awesome :D

thanks for the feedback, seems atm even if you have a really expensive pc that wont change the quality to better guess the 970 already brings he graphics the best possible, the screen i was thinking was one 27 inches from asus ROG 4K but who know if would not fail :) thanks for the answer man.

Hello i just ant to know if anyone by chance atm have a gtx 1080 and playing on a huge screen lets say at least 27 inches, do you notice a drastic quality graphic wise change?

Playing in 1920*1200 on a 27" everything maxed out with a GTX 970 (but where there's lot of grass) game looks good.

Also tested on a 50" plasma TV with steam streaming and the game looks great. Although what make my jaw drop is the quality of the sounds on a home cinema. So much that I bought a wireless mechanical keyboard :)

:D

Playing in 1920*1200 on a 27" everything maxed out with a GTX 970 (but where there's lot of grass) game looks good.

Also tested on a 50" plasma TV with steam streaming and the game looks great. Although what make my jaw drop is the quality of the sounds on a home cinema. So much that I bought a wireless mechanical keyboard :)

that must be :D

I wanted to like this post so here's my 'LIKE'. :csw_destroyer:

How do you get the game spread over 3 monitors like that?

I don't think you understand how PCs work... Your graphics card does NOT make the game look better... The game is going to look the same for any GPU as long as it can render the game at max settings... The only shift in visual fidelity that you would see would be changing the resolution from 1080p to 4K, and that's only if the actual developers really support 4K.

Even so, a GTX 970 and GTX 1080 are not powerful enough cards to actually run a game at 4K and at max settings. You will see huge performance drops and you will be lucky if you even get 30 FPS. Rumor has it Nvidia's next architecture will be powerful enough that a single card can run games at 4K with 60 FPS. We shall see.

Regardless, if you are spending money on new GPUs (you don't have to upgrade that often as you are just wasting money) expecting the game to look better, it won't. Your GPU doesn't make the game look better. Your GPU will just have better performance running the game than an older or weaker card at maximum settings.

How do you get the game spread over 3 monitors like that?

You need a video card with at least three output connections, one of them HAS to be a display port connection (at least this was the case when I built my system not quite two years ago).

The setting to enable the surround video (nvidia's phrase - eyefinity is AMD's) is in the Nvidia control panel software.

Then you just choose the resolution.

Mine is 5760x1080

I don't think you understand how PCs work... Your graphics card does NOT make the game look better... The game is going to look the same for any GPU as long as it can render the game at max settings... The only shift in visual fidelity that you would see would be changing the resolution from 1080p to 4K, and that's only if the actual developers really support 4K.

Even so, a GTX 970 and GTX 1080 are not powerful enough cards to actually run a game at 4K and at max settings. You will see huge performance drops and you will be lucky if you even get 30 FPS. Rumor has it Nvidia's next architecture will be powerful enough that a single card can run games at 4K with 60 FPS. We shall see.

Regardless, if you are spending money on new GPUs (you don't have to upgrade that often as you are just wasting money) expecting the game to look better, it won't. Your GPU doesn't make the game look better. Your GPU will just have better performance running the game than an older or weaker card at maximum settings.

GTX 1080 should be fine at 4k (although a Titan X dominates at 5k compared to 4k)

GTX 1080 should be fine at 4k (although a Titan X dominates at 5k compared to 4k)

Not if you want quality performance. The GTX 1080 is not powerful enough. The Titan X Pascal is better, but who wants to spend $1000+ on a GPU? Here are some current games and their performance with the GTX 1080 and Titan X Pascal at 4K:

Titan X Pascal 4K | GTX 1080 4K

Assassin's Creed Unity, Ultra High, FXAA: 43.1 | 32.5

Ashes of the Singularity, Extreme, 0x MSAA, DX12: 63.7 | 53.6

Crysis 3, Very High, SMAA T2x: 50.0 | 40.1

The Division, Ultra, SMAA: 49.6 | 37.3

Far Cry Primal, Ultra, SMAA: 54.7 | 42.4

Hitman, Ultra, SMAA, DX12: 62.1 | 46.7

Rise of the Tomb Raider, Very High, High Textures, SMAA, DX12: 57.1 | 44.8

The Witcher 3, Ultra, Post AA, No HairWorks: 63.1 | 47.5

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-4k-gaming-is-finally-viable-and-its-stunning

Those frame rates are not ideal for quality performance with a GTX 1080 at 4K. I can't even imagine what newer games releasing now and next year will require. Nvidia isn't quite there yet for true 4K gaming at 60 fps. Maybe the GTX 1080ti will be more viable when it releases in six months or so.