Please don't put in Classic Conversations in KOTET

NakodaTheJedi

You did it with KOTFE yes the main story had voice acting then out of no where you have these classic kotor conversations for companions and what not. Which in my opinion if you cared about your players you'd see a majority of us are not a fan of it. And you should go back and put in voice acting. I hope you don't do this with KOTET because it really makes it look like you got lazy. I mean, its 2016 lol classic conversations isn't exciting it's extremely boring and I think KOTFE would have been better if it had complete voice acting. Not saying Kotfe isn't good I like the story lines but I'm also a music teacher for a living and I love different noises too.

You do realize it's not about if they "cared about their players", and that it's simple cost, right? While I may not have access to BW's financial records, I'll go out on a limb here to say that hiring all 16 voice actors for what are just optional side missions isn't very financially practical any more. Edited by HeatRacer

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere in these forums that they couldn't get all of the voice actors (in time, on budget, not sure), and they didn't want some classes to have full voice while others didn't.

Whatever the reason, I do hope they voice everything for KOTET.

I hope they'll choose to use "sound alikes" and re-cut clips from previous dialog wherever they're not able to get the original actors, at least for small bits.

You did it with KOTFE yes the main story had voice acting then out of no where you have these classic kotor conversations for companions and what not. Which in my opinion if you cared about your players you'd see a majority of us are not a fan of it. And you should go back and put in voice acting. I hope you don't do this with KOTET because it really makes it look like you got lazy. I mean, its 2016 lol classic conversations isn't exciting it's extremely boring and I think KOTFE would have been better if it had complete voice acting. Not saying Kotfe isn't good I like the story lines but I'm also a music teacher for a living and I love different noises too.

Classic convo's lead to more possible choices, also it saves on the price of having 16 voice actors to do voice overs for your characters.

I hope they'll choose to use "sound alikes" and re-cut clips from previous dialog wherever they're not able to get the original actors, at least for small bits.

Now I'm imagining, like, Khem Val in an alert, "Puny Smuggler, you think you can convince me to join your alliance? I will eat you whole."

Smuggler, "I could charm the horns off a krayt dragon."

I remember them saying they did it as a throw back to kotor and to allow for more options. Not that id expect them to admit they can't afford it. Using hind sight, did they even utilize 4 or more choices beyond displaying the text and having different responses? I prefer my characters talking. The sarcasm, hostility, any emotion is lost in text. So, signed.

You do realize it's not about if they "cared about their players", and that it's simple cost, right? While I may not have access to BW's financial records, I'll go out on a limb here to say that hiring all 16 voice actors for what are just optional side missions isn't very financially practical any more.

If they can't afford to do it, then simply don't do it. I have to concur that the "classic Kotor" conversation system belongs in Kotor way back when, it's outdated and immersion breaking to go from one system to an old system.

In my own opinion it looks horrendous, and it's another reason for me to avoid running KotFE content.

You do realize it's not about if they "cared about their players", and that it's simple cost, right? While I may not have access to BW's financial records, I'll go out on a limb here to say that hiring all 16 voice actors for what are just optional side missions isn't very financially practical any more.

you do realize it is...cost wasn't an issue. Theyre the in the top 5 mmorpg of highest grossing games. And brag about the millions that sub to them daily. One voice actor can do many voices. I don't believe the "to much money to voice acting" defense for a second especially the way they use the cartel martket

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere in these forums that they couldn't get all of the voice actors (in time, on budget, not sure), and they didn't want some classes to have full voice while others didn't.

Whatever the reason, I do hope they voice everything for KOTET.

I highly doubt that.

Additionally, it's not just about voice acting (it's all carefully budgeted anyway with VA getting a minimum of three hours per recording session as rules set per the guild) but they've also have to map out the scenes with animations and cuts...it's time consuming and there's several different layers of people that have to get paid.

Tho I do hope we can do away with the "classic style" too...

I highly doubt that.

Additionally, it's not just about voice acting (it's all carefully budgeted anyway with VA getting a minimum of three hours per recording session as rules set per the guild) but they've also have to map out the scenes with animations and cuts...it's time consuming and there's several different layers of people that have to get paid.

Tho I do hope we can do away with the "classic style" too...

to time consuming...that is exactly their attitude they aren't proud and show passion in the work they put out for us to play so how can you expect us to enjoy it to the fullest if you don't believe in it yourself I would not have cared if kotfe was released a yr late just to get it done right.

I don't hate it, but if they're going to continue it at all, I would like to see it done more cinematically, like in classic KOTOR. In KOTOR, you essentially had the cutscene-style camera work, but no spoken player dialogue. In KOTFE alerts, there's too much static wide shot, and not enough close-ups and reaction shots. And IMO, those cinematic shots are where half the feeling is; the dialogue is just icing on the cake. Filmmaking is mostly a visual medium.

Now I'm imagining, like, Khem Val in an alert, "Puny Smuggler, you think you can convince me to join your alliance? I will eat you whole."

Smuggler, "I could charm the horns off a krayt dragon."

"Blood and mayhem await!"

"My trigger finger's itching."

"A Jedi's strength must always be tested."

"It is the Jedi way to serve."

"Nothing can stop me."

"I should go." (FemTrooper could easily recycle FemShep audio for that. I'm sure there's enough FemShep sound bits and recording lines to be easily rearranged into a full FemTrooper dialogue.)

Actually, while I'm stealing lines from other BW games....

"Yes... Swooping would be bad." - MWar

"What is it?" -FemAgent

Uh... I got no other games offhand..

Cost in time more than money, I would suspect. They had all 16 "class" VAs in for the mainline story, and the last time I checked, VA costs weren't a big factor or major expense (considering both alleged dev statements, and the complaints of Voice Actors trying to get more money for their work. But ... VA tackes time, and KotFE had a lot of fully-voiced cutscenes in the chapters. And most of the alliance alert dialog is not "basic," further reducing the amount of time they needed to spend in the voice booth.

Remember, for each conversation thread, you have to run all 8 PC VAs through the conversations, whereas the NPCs have to run through once for most conversation branches, maybe twice if there's a gender reference or faction reference. The handful of class references are minimal. And the PC VAs have more overall lines (though I know they recycle voices for NPCs).

I know I saw a conversation with at least 4 options, and there may have been one or two with 5.

It let them produce more content faster, but at an admittedly lower quality.

"Nothing can stop me."

"I should go." (FemTrooper could easily recycle FemShep audio for that. I'm sure there's enough FemShep sound bits and recording lines to be easily rearranged into a full FemTrooper dialogue.)

"What is it?" -FemAgent

"I really am the best!"

"Nothing can stop me."

"What is it?" -FemAgent

Female SI - "Yawn." :D

Haha. :D

Haha. :D

See, conversations can be put together from clips of dialogue from other games as well as this one.

Example: FemAgent Outlander

Concept Scene- Just after Ch XVI and trying to figure out what to do next with a more specific plan, on Odessan's base.

"So, Commander, we've failed to eliminate Arcann, Vaylin took the throne, SCORPIO ran out on us, Senya's betrayed us. What do you have planned for us to do next?"

Option-"Where are we going? How should I know? Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?"

Option-"A new base of operations" [dialogue line was cut because the rest involved Kirkwall and mages, not SWTOR material)

Option-"I'm not always sure I want to know."

"(Option one taken) You are the Commander of the Alliance.

"(Option Two taken) We don't have time to relocate all at once like this, considering Koth stole the Gravestone. / I'm not sure the Gravestone has enough room to move everyone at once.

"(Option Three taken) You mean you don't make plans ahead of time? No wonder we lost like this

"(Regardless) Before Arcann attacked, Theron received word of another contact we should look into. This one might also have something to say about your situation with the Emperor."

"(1)(Sighs) I'm going to regret asking you to continue, aren't I?

"(2)You know I hate it when you do that.

"(3)It does feel like some unseen force is manipulating my fate."

[Quest]

"I really hate [name of guy, doesn't matter who]."

"If you like, we could leave a strongly worded note on his sarcophagus and go."

Fem "Agent" lines stolen from FemHawke lines in DAII.

I agree completely with this 1000000%

I love watching and listening to the properly animated cutscenes, and I like hearing my companion speak. I don't want to pick from a list of multiple choices with no voice. Swtor has spoiled me and I can't go back to that way of being.

That and I want to have a proper chapter dedicated to Scourge with proper interactions and I live in fear that he will be relegated to one of these crappy companion recruit things.

To put it bluntly, I hate Classic Conversations and not being able to properly interact with my toon.

See, conversations can be put together from clips of dialogue from other games as well as this one.

Example: FemAgent Outlander

Concept Scene- Just after Ch XVI and trying to figure out what to do next with a more specific plan, on Odessan's base.

"So, Commander, we've failed to eliminate Arcann, Vaylin took the throne, SCORPIO ran out on us, Senya's betrayed us. What do you have planned for us to do next?"

Option-"Where are we going? How should I know? Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?"

Option-"A new base of operations" [dialogue line was cut because the rest involved Kirkwall and mages, not SWTOR material)

Option-"I'm not always sure I want to know."

"(Option one taken) You are the Commander of the Alliance.

"(Option Two taken) We don't have time to relocate all at once like this, considering Koth stole the Gravestone. / I'm not sure the Gravestone has enough room to move everyone at once.

"(Option Three taken) You mean you don't make plans ahead of time? No wonder we lost like this

"(Regardless) Before Arcann attacked, Theron received word of another contact we should look into. This one might also have something to say about your situation with the Emperor."

"(1)(Sighs) I'm going to regret asking you to continue, aren't I?

"(2)You know I hate it when you do that.

"(3)It does feel like some unseen force is manipulating my fate."

[Quest]

"I really hate [name of guy, doesn't matter who]."

"If you like, we could leave a strongly worded note on his sarcophagus and go."

Fem "Agent" lines stolen from FemHawke lines in DAII.

Creative. I like it. You've got the "reusing assets" spirit of game design going on. :p

How about a middle ground?

Keep the over the shoulder static shot and just have the VA read the lines as written?

I'd sacrifice dramatic cutscene animation for actually hearing my toons speak. Not having to choreograph and animate and lip sync all those convos would save hugely on time/money/effort.

Creative. I like it. You've got the "reusing assets" spirit of game design going on. :p

I just used the DA Wiki for speed since I don't have a script somewhere. But it works! Well, I don't remember exactly how FemHawke's voice had everything in terms of inflections and emphasis (so the emotion behind the lines might not match quite right) but I got the jist of what I was think of across. =D

I was hoping Lunafox would catch my subtle convo lead as well. "Might have something to say about you and the Emperor" =D

I agree completely with this 1000000%

I love watching and listening to the properly animated cutscenes, and I like hearing my companion speak. I don't want to pick from a list of multiple choices with no voice. Swtor has spoiled me and I can't go back to that way of being.

That and I want to have a proper chapter dedicated to Scourge with proper interactions and I live in fear that he will be relegated to one of these crappy companion recruit things.

To put it bluntly, I hate Classic Conversations and not being able to properly interact with my toon.

If I could have my character voicing things again, I almost wouldn't mind the following compromise at a minimum.

How about a middle ground?

Keep the over the shoulder static shot and just have the VA read the lines as written?

I'd sacrifice dramatic cutscene animation for actually hearing my toons speak. Not having to choreograph and animate and lip sync all those convos would save hugely on time/money/effort.

I'd also like to say that I like how the Clssic Convos have the dialogue lines as exactly what the character is "saying" so we don't have

"Welcome to the crew, Skadge!."

"No. Over my dead body. Preferably your dead body."

"Give me one good reason to let you on my ship."

And then get these as the dialogue results:

"Welcome to the crew, Skadge!"

"Blast, you have a small blaster pointed at me, fine, welcome to the crew, Skadge."

"BECAUSE BIOWARE SAYS SO AND YOU HAVE A BLASTER. Welcome to the crew, Skadge."