Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware gets a new leader?

Chiltonium

new leader was or maybe still is the senior vice president of EA.

she was practically in charge of all EA'S studios but she decided to take direct control of bioware for some reasons.

it does not sound good to me, if bioware is doing well then why she suddenly wants to control it, is she got demoted or things are not looking good at bioware and she needs to step in.

Save you the bother of clicking through several links:

EA has placed several of its game studios under the banner of EA Worldwide Studios. Maxis and EA Mobile are now the foundation studios in EA Worldwide Studios with Patrick Soderlund taking the helm. In addition, EA announced that EA Senior Vice President Samantha Ryan is taking charge of Bioware.

"Today, we are announcing additional updates to our organizational structure that are designed to strengthen our studios and technology platform," said EA CEO Andrew Wilson in a statement. "At a time when players are engaged in games across more devices, the tenets of making great HD and mobile experiences are converging. Our ability to blend our strengths to deliver amazing games across genres, geographies and platforms, in a networked environment, is central to our future success. EA Worldwide Studios will bring together our top creative talent in all of our great studios to work on EA's powerful brand portfolio and new IP."

Bioware is currently at work on Mass Effect: Andromeda and an unannounced title and is the studio behind the Dragon Age series and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Just a typical reorganization of man power, nothing new there.

new leader was or maybe still is the senior vice president of EA.

she was practically in charge of all EA'S studios but she decided to take direct control of bioware for some reasons.

it does not sound good to me, if bioware is doing well then why she suddenly wants to control it, is she got demoted or things are not looking good at bioware and she needs to step in.

Reads like normal management refocus to me. EA has stated for some time now that they see a future where there are fewer (if any) seams or cracks between their product lines. They essentially did the same thing back when they put Mythic under the Bioware studio label and nuked the Mythic brand. They are actually doing this, IMO, to create more leverage and synergy between products in order to give more momentum to their mobile gaming efforts. More cross-pollination of ideas and IP so to speak.

These things are both normal for companies of EAs size, and absolutely indicative of nothing one way or the other in terms of SWTOR.

Edited by Andryah

Oh come on...it's not like EA is known for making any changes to the successful studios they purchase...they generally let them just go on doing their own thing...well...except for:

Maxis (SimCity) - shut down in 2015.

and

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - shut down in 2014.

and

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - shut down in 2001.

and

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - shut down in 2004.

and

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - shut down in 2003.

and

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - shut down in 2013.

and

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - shut down in 2013.

and

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - shut down in 2013.

and

Pandemic (The Saboteur) - shut down in 2009.

and

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - shut down in 2013.

and

NuFX (NBA Street) - shut down in 2007.

...but other than that, there's absolutely no reason to expect anything to change for us.

Oh come on...it's not like EA is known for making any changes to the successful studios they purchase...they generally let them just go on doing their own thing...well...except for:

Maxis (SimCity) - shut down in 2015.

and

Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot) - shut down in 2014.

and

Bullfrog (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) - shut down in 2001.

and

Origin (Ultima, Wing Commander) - shut down in 2004.

and

Westwood (Command & Conquer) - shut down in 2003.

and

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - shut down in 2013.

and

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - shut down in 2013.

and

Black Box Games (Need for Speed, Skate) - shut down in 2013.

and

Pandemic (The Saboteur) - shut down in 2009.

and

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - shut down in 2013.

and

NuFX (NBA Street) - shut down in 2007.

...but other than that, there's absolutely no reason to expect anything to change for us.

TUXs, you and I might be getting too old for this s... stuff! :)

The young kids have hope and dreams and compared to Pokemon Go, this game probably looks epic, but people like you and I know better what it could have been and we see the completely terrible management at play and it makes us sad...

Side note, I finally tried Pokemon Go the other day, lord that is a stupid time sink, just a treadmill to generate RMT... And yet it is the number one money maker on the app store... So what do we know? :)

I finally tried Pokemon Go the other day, lord that is a stupid time sink, just a treadmill to generate RMT... And yet it is the number one money maker on the app store... So what do we know? :)

My soccer moms went nuts with it. I can;t play it on my ipod touch unless I turn off 2 key and I;m not doing that.

I haven't done it recently but I recall one of those quarterly shareholder chats was nothing but handheld games as being what EA was heading towards.

Edited by dr_mike

TUXs, you and I might be getting too old for this s... stuff! :)

The young kids have hope and dreams and compared to Pokemon Go, this game probably looks epic, but people like you and I know better what it could have been and we see the completely terrible management at play and it makes us sad...

Side note, I finally tried Pokemon Go the other day, lord that is a stupid time sink, just a treadmill to generate RMT... And yet it is the number one money maker on the app store... So what do we know? :)

Geezus TX...we are too old for this lol. I also think, I'm in the wrong business. I need to find a niche to sell something to today's youth that isn't fun, isn't new, looks terrible by my/today's standards, but it's expensive...something like bringing back the 8-track, but make it only 2-tracks. Retro worked for Pokemon and Minecraft...

Geezus TX...we are too old for this lol. I also think, I'm in the wrong business. I need to find a niche to sell something to today's youth that isn't fun, isn't new, looks terrible by my/today's standards, but it's expensive...something like bringing back the 8-track, but make it only 2-tracks. Retro worked for Pokemon and Minecraft...

betamax was never all it could be, you could bring it back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.