Is there any actual purpose to the unarmed combat skills?

CorellianWannabe

I originally thought 'a little attack to throw into the rotation when major abilities are on cooldown'. Nothing spectacular, just a little bonus after gaining a few valor ranks.

Since characters must be unarmed to use them (even those with a free hand like my smuggler can't throw a punch) are they meant to nothing more than a complete novelty for a joke character? Granted, running around on Ord Mantell punching separatists was fun for a couple of minutes but overall it was barely worth spending the time putting it on the quickbar.

I originally thought 'a little attack to throw into the rotation when major abilities are on cooldown'. Nothing spectacular, just a little bonus after gaining a few valor ranks.

Since characters must be unarmed to use them (even those with a free hand like my smuggler can't throw a punch) are they meant to nothing more than a complete novelty for a joke character? Granted, running around on Ord Mantell punching separatists was fun for a couple of minutes but overall it was barely worth spending the time putting it on the quickbar.

They were never intended for serious use.

Dual someone else who is unequipped and using the same skills. It is probably the finest balanced combat you'll get. Quite fun as well. :D

I tend to use it for RP purposes. Seems to be all it's really useful for. It's a good way to duel someone without weapons. Usually goes along something like this.

*Toon A stares Toon B down*

*Toon B stares Toon A down*

*Toon A throws his weapon down and runs at Toon B*

*Toon B drops his weapons and prepares*

*both toons proceed to punch each other into oblivion*

Joke's on me then for actually thinking they were supposed to be remotely useful (or on EA for wasting time on creating them instead of actual usable content). I suppose Dirty Kick is meant to be in the same vein?

If you're referring to dirty kick from scoundrel or whatever, no that's not the same, that's a legitimate use ability.

Joke's on me then for actually thinking they were supposed to be remotely useful (or on EA for wasting time on creating them instead of actual usable content). I suppose Dirty Kick is meant to be in the same vein?

They're getting rid of dirty kick, allegedly....

This made me think of Runes of Magic, where your character has separate proficiencies in every different kind of weapon (and trivial ways to change class to be allowed to use them), including "unarmed". Each year they have a series of events tied to seasons and the like, and the Christmas one features event-specific foes running around in Santa suits.

And yes, it was fun to de-equip weapons on a level 55+ character and run around the back of Logar (human noob zone), punching out Santa.

Absolutely none, and even less since you can only use them unarmed and it's amazing what else you can't do when you're unarmed (my operative can't roll without a weapon, apparently - you would assume that weapon was more hindrance than help there).

That said, it can add a lot of fun to something like social points/affection grinding Black Talon if you strip your toons naked and just punch everyone to death :D