Maintenance: 7 September 2016

TaitWatson

I used GMT during BST last year, and there were a lot of folks asking me to use BST instead, so I swapped this year.

I actually prefer using GMT (because most people know what their GMT +/- is), but I've seen a notable decrease in people asking to use something else this year. :tran_grin:

Well, for the EU it doesn't matter as every country switches to summer time at the same date. We europeans know where Britain is and that they lag one or two hours behind most other countries. So instead of adding another hour to the GMT time during summer, we now always add the same offset to the time from the patch notes.

For countries that don't switch their times at the same time as the EU it gets a bit more complicated, though.

Anyway, great that the forums are now open during maintenance.

Edited by Mubrak

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CET and GMT both switch for daylight savings to CEST and BST respectively on the same day - so that covers most of Europe. In fact, as far as I can see, all countries in EU which observe daylight savings do so on the same day.

North America (incl Mexico & Canada etc) are all working to the same dates as the USA. This used to be in sync with Europe, however currently the USA are trying some different dates as they feel this may save more energy.

Woe be to the southern hemisphere who are totally out of sync both in dates and direction with the northern hemisphere and each other (e.g. Australia, New Zealand and Brazil all completely different). That said, seeing as Australia can't manage to be consistent across the country (some places have daylight savings, some don't, some have it for the whole year), it's hard to cater for them.

For total amusement value, Troll Station in the Antarctic has dates shared by nobody else on the planet.

Source: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2016.html

Edited by Tromador

Delighted.

Played late into the night (UK) and slept late. This left me with no time to cook the massive cottage pie I have been fancying for the last few days.

Thanks to 2 hours extra domestic bliss time, I will now have a gert big massive cottage pie to eat, tomorrow, in one go.

Wicked.

Nice!

Next why don't you try addressing the fact that not a single one of us is surprised you people f'd it up :) An issue discovered this morning! xD Didn't you people develop this game?! Oh god.

/facepalm ..... I resubbed just this morning :(

I was pretty surprised they overran their maintenance window, actually. Off the top of my head I can't recall the last time that happened.

I was pretty surprised they overran their maintenance window, actually. Off the top of my head I can't recall the last time that happened.

Not sure if you're seriously asking or not but....

If you read the twitter thread, it happens every time they have maintenance.

August 9th's patch was announced to run over by 30 minutes - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9021362#edit9021362

And it turned out to only run over by 13 minutes - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9021414#edit9021414

Not sure if you're seriously asking or not but....

If you read the twitter thread, it happens every time they have maintenance.

August 9th's patch was announced to run over by 30 minutes - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9021362#edit9021362

And it turned out to only run over by 13 minutes - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9021414#edit9021414

Hah - last patches I wasn't able to play during the day anyway. Nonetheless, touche.

Why not use GMT(UTC) as the primary and let everyone look up local time :D

Because it is BST now and not GMT. As for let everyone look up local time, Well take you own advise and look it up.

Whatever BW used players would still need to know local time if not actually in the time zoned used.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I used GMT during BST last year, and there were a lot of folks asking me to use BST instead, so I swapped this year.

I actually prefer using GMT (because most people know what their GMT +/- is), but I've seen a notable decrease in people asking to use something else this year. :tran_grin:

But in EU we use MEST and MET

Middle Europe Summer Time and Middle Europe Time (Winter Time)

Edited by DanaOShee

But in EU we use MEST and MET

Middle Europe Summer Time and Middle Europe Time (Winter Time)

I am pretty sure you mean Central Europe (Summer) Time, not middle.

And that is always UK time +1 hour, so GMT+1 in winter and BST+1 in summer. Changes on the same day.