The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jedi and romance?

Olliekarminas

It's nice to see this is still going. :D

I decided to start my jedi over as a Consular instead of a Knight, so I'm actually not sure who you get to romance in your story as I am still fairly new to the game and the stories. I tend to disagree with a bunch of things that the Jedi preach and love is probably the biggest one. But then I also read somewhere or heard that the Sith also look at love in a bad light, is that true?

Sith frown on romantic attachments as well, but for different reasons than the Jedi. The Sith disapprove of altruism in any form, which happens to be a big part of love. So they see love as a weakness.

Marriages between Sith occur but the 'official' view would likely be that the purpose of those attachments would be purely to create more Sith and it wouldn't be a relationship based on love.

That said just like the Jedi, the Sith sometimes fail to live up to what they view as ideal.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Sith frown on romantic attachments as well, but for different reasons than the Jedi. The Sith disapprove of altruism in any form, which happens to be a big part of love. So they see love as a weakness.

Marriages between Sith occur but the 'official' view would likely be that the purpose of those attachments would be purely to create more Sith and it wouldn't be a relationship based on love.

That said just like the Jedi, the Sith sometimes fail to live up to what they view as ideal.

More like "create a powered up version stronger than either of us" aka "winning in the long term."

Jedis do not forbid love, they forbid attachment. Luke NJO were stupid. Love can a person back to the light. Ok... But after he had slaughter a bunch of people due to love. Luke thinks it is good since he can redeem his father ? Tell that to a bunch of kids his father slaughtered. Legend and canon both had showed love was bad for Jedi, those that were saved from the dark side by love can be counted on 2 hands and only after they had destroyed many lives.

Jedis do not forbid love, they forbid attachment. Luke NJO were stupid. Love can a person back to the light. Ok... But after he had slaughter a bunch of people due to love. Luke thinks it is good since he can redeem his father ? Tell that to a bunch of kids his father slaughtered. Legend and canon both had showed love was bad for Jedi, those that were saved from the dark side by love can be counted on 2 hands and only after they had destroyed many lives.

Anakns actions were motivated by fear and a want for power. If it were for love, he would not of ever thought about force choking the love of his life to the point she lost consciousness.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but the Jedi code is utter BS and leads people to the Dark Side. Jedi tend to be the biggest hypocrites and least 'good' people in the galaxy.

Sorry, but the Jedi code is utter BS and leads people to the Dark Side. Jedi tend to be the biggest hypocrites and least 'good' people in the galaxy.

Yeah cause you had countless Jedi turn to the Dark Side due to this code....no wait, the Jedi Order seemed to do pretty well. Sure they had some Jedi fall, but that doesn't mean their code was BS.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

There are multible ways for force users to love and not falling to the drank side, but the jedi dont teach them because of their fear of things that arent 100% lightside and emotionless (dont know if this word exists). Look at Revan after he came back from the dark side. Its not just Dark and Light, the Jedi and the Sith fail to see this to a full extent.

Sry for bad english :D

Klick me: http://www.swtor.com/r/CzXB9j :)

There are multible ways for force users to love and not falling to the drank side, but the jedi dont teach them because of their fear of things that arent 100% lightside and emotionless (dont know if this word exists). Look at Revan after he came back from the dark side. Its not just Dark and Light, the Jedi and the Sith fail to see this to a full extent.

Jedi aren't emotionless, they clearly have and do show emotions.

As I said, they are allowed to love as long as they know to let go. Unfortunately history of starwar had showed that it was not easy to let go of your love one. And when we have a bunch of supernatural warriors go rogue it is not good for anyone. So do tell me how ? Let me stop you before you say grief counsel or any idea similar cause the world of starwar is where anything is possible through the force. Revan came back to the light was not because of love, he was mind wipe and with new experience he changed his mind.

I remember it being in star wars... love is selfless, love is unconditional, love is kindness, but love can be twisted to obsession that will cause the jedi to fall.

something like that atleast.

Personally My Jedi hooked up, I don't understand why the physical act of creation is darkside, when the twilek betrays you if you got all pissy that would be dark side, but if you forgave that was rightly lightside.

The big issue was more the Jedi perception of being unable to handle the emotions that go with relationships. They had no problem with a 'hit it and quit it' type of thing. That while some Jedi did turn to the dark because of their emotions, there were others who handled things fine should've been a sign that what the Jedi really needed was to have better coping skills for dealing with emotional impact.

Yeah. When it comes to the Jedi, it seems like a little disappointment in their life, and boom they become Sith. it's something I find really stupid about the Jedi.. Like Freedon Nadd going Sith, as soon as he is confronted with some rejection in his life. it makes what Sith say about Jedi correct, that they are weaker than the sith.

Edited by cool-dude

Yeah cause you had countless Jedi turn to the Dark Side due to this code....no wait, the Jedi Order seemed to do pretty well. Sure they had some Jedi fall, but that doesn't mean their code was BS.

I agree that they are hypocrites.

Take Satele for example. She gets knocked up. The kid is born, and decides she wants to rededicate herself to the Jedi code(How convenient for her), instead of owning up to her mistake and raising her kid.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that force users who get upset can be some of the biggest pain in the backsides in the entire galaxy. :p

You see it time and time again. My love/child was taken from me...time to use my force powers to slaughter a lot of people in revenge!

Also, the Jedi order doesn't stop one from socializing. So there is no isolation. In the TOR period, it became more a matter of "Do we think you can handle a romance, without going crazy if it ends or if it's ended."

We see at least one Jedi Master in game, who not only has a daughter, it's made out to be they're actually quite close. So, not every Jedi was like Satele Shan, who gave up on their child.

There's also the looking at it from another perspective. In TOR one can join the Jedi Order pretty late in life, in the prequels, they preferred not to take in ones who were older. Even Yoda was reluctant to train a 18-20 yo Luke, after the decimation of the Jedi Order.

So obviously, different ideals and rules are put in place through out the times, based solely on who's in charge and their beliefs.

Of course, after all that, we can see Luke's idea is just as valid. Instead of saying "A broken heart can easily fall into darkness" (which in SW is shown to be very true) Luke says "A dark heart can be saved by love."

Then talk of Jedi being bad for that belief, when the Sith Order doesn't believe in love either, as a whole. :p And their Code leads to the dark side way more than the Jedi Code :p