Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Max Resolution?

MattChewga

I'm currently considering buying a new monitor here are the specs ( Acer Predator Z35 35-inch Curved Full HD (2560 x 1080) NVIDIA G-Sync Display, 144Hz (OC 200Hz), 2x9w speakers, HDMI & DP ),as you can see this monitor has a resolution of 2560x1080. I was wondering if SWTOR can run in that resolution?? Edited by MattChewga

My dad has a 4k resolution screen, the exact measures isn't off the top of my head beyond the 4k, and while the text was really tiny until resolution was fixed for him, the game still showed up fine.

EDIT:

The Launcher itself was tiny as F*** even.

Edited by LyraineAlei

My dad has a 4k resolution screen, the exact measures isn't off the top of my head beyond the 4k, and while the text was really tiny until resolution was fixed for him, the game still showed up fine.

EDIT:

The Launcher itself was tiny as F*** even.

4K resolution is 3840 x 2160

8K resolution is 7680 x 4320

SWTOR can run on just about anything, although you may need to manually change the resolution in the settings file.

note, the UI, to the best of my knowledge, does NOT scale. So the game will run at that resolution, but the UI elements will become much smaller.

I'm currently considering buying a new monitor here are the specs ( Acer Predator Z35 35-inch Curved Full HD (2560 x 1080) NVIDIA G-Sync Display, 144Hz (OC 200Hz), 2x9w speakers, HDMI & DP ),as you can see this monitor has a resolution of 2560x1080. I was wondering if SWTOR can run in that resolution??

Over 9000

Now I feel inadequate with my 1920x1080 screen though.

Before you spend your money on a 4K computer monitor you should go and look at both a 4K screen and a 1080p screen. You will most likely not see much of a difference for the price.

4K is ok if your screen is 100" or bigger but on anything less, you may not see much of a difference. I work in professional video and on a 16' x 9' screen using a $75,00 20K lumin projector, the difference between a 1920 x 1080p and 4k is noticeable but I don't think you will be using a display that is measured in feet but rather in inches and you will not see much difference between the two. Save your money and stick with the 1080p screen it really is just as good on a small screen and much cheaper.

SWTOR can run on just about anything, although you may need to manually change the resolution in the settings file.

note, the UI, to the best of my knowledge, does NOT scale. So the game will run at that resolution, but the UI elements will become much smaller.

You can edit the files to scale beyond the 1.25 global and 1.25 manual settings...

Bioware clearly doesn't care enough to allow the global slider to go further, they haven't heard of 4k monitors...

Before you spend your money on a 4K computer monitor you should go and look at both a 4K screen and a 1080p screen. You will most likely not see much of a difference for the price.

That might be true, if your eyes are terrible... I'm sure some people can't see it... but it is there, clear and bloody obvious smack you in the face to anyone who has decent eyes...

I'm over 40 years old and my eyes simply can't use a 1080p monitor anymore, too distracting from all the visible pixels :)

I recently installed the game on a new computer with a 4K screen and had no issue setting the resolution or the UI scaling directly in the game with no editing of .ini files. The UI scaling does not cover the Character Select screen as it is set in the Interface Editor - Global Scale and that is not loaded until you start playing a character.

The game looks fabulous at 4K on Ultra though - a totally different game to what I had on my old machine. :D

That might be true, if your eyes are terrible... I'm sure some people can't see it... but it is there, clear and bloody obvious smack you in the face to anyone who has decent eyes...

I'm over 40 years old and my eyes simply can't use a 1080p monitor anymore, too distracting from all the visible pixels :)

It has nothing to do with your visual acuity but rather the actual difference. Don't take my word for it here are the actual reviews from people that do the tests as to what the true difference is.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

Edited by denavin

4K is ok if your screen is 100" or bigger but on anything less, you may not see much of a difference. I work in professional video and on a 16' x 9' screen using a $75,00 20K lumin projector, the difference between a 1920 x 1080p and 4k is noticeable but I don't think you will be using a display that is measured in feet but rather in inches and you will not see much difference between the two. Save your money and stick with the 1080p screen it really is just as good on a small screen and much cheaper.

I have an 18-inch Laptop. My father runs the 4k laptop because he does photowork, but I'm a bit on the lazy side for that, nor do I feel the need to see if NPC Bob has acne or freckles. XD

I was making the joke about the 4k screen making me feel inadequate akin to people measuring the sizes of other things. Like tire rim sizes.

Edited by LyraineAlei

I'm currently considering buying a new monitor here are the specs ( Acer Predator Z35 35-inch Curved Full HD (2560 x 1080) NVIDIA G-Sync Display, 144Hz (OC 200Hz), 2x9w speakers, HDMI & DP ),as you can see this monitor has a resolution of 2560x1080. I was wondering if SWTOR can run in that resolution??

That comes out to an aspect ratio of 2.37:1 That is not a video aspect your image will be very stretched and squashed. That is a wide screen movie aspect ratio. If you try to play SWToR at that ratio it will be very weird looking with every thing short and fat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.