HK-55 for non subscribers

moonhunterdeath

It's probably not the only reason, nor the main reason (at least it shouldn't be), but it's an incentive to keep or get a subscription by a certain date, e.g. if someone has been on the fence about getting or keeping a subscription. FOMO and collector's/hoarder's OCD are very strong motivators, prompting irrational decisions.

QFT

Its why I've maintain my sub. I have no issue maintaining a sub for a game that I only play once in awhile. The parts of the game I enjoy; I can enjoy as F2P. I don't care for OP or PvP since the Dev don't care about those aspects. I only need to sub once a year to unlock a season of story that I can casual play.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wut?

Sorry the above is a very poor example with little relevance.

The HK-55 droid and chapter is not a limited physical item, or indeed a person with a time schedule and a set number of hours in the day. It is a checkbox in a piece of code.

Personally I think that check should be enabled if you were around for the period of time required or are willing to pay. And let's not be ridiculously punitive on the costs but put it at an affordable level.

That example is very relevant. Both scenarios revolve around "core" characters and very specific requirements to interact with those core characters. The fact that some people don't like the comparison does not negate the relevance, no matter how much they wish it would.

Make it affordable? What do you call affordable?

IMO, no one who did NOT qualify for those rewards should have access to them, let alone for a pittance, or far less than those who DO qualify paid.

IMO, BW should not, but IF BW were going to go back on their word and make those exclusive rewards available again, they should carry a price tag FAR greater than those that actually met the criteria had to pay. CC's should also NOT be an option. They should be money transactions, only.

For example, the HK-55 bonus chapter should be a minimum of $150, or the equivalent of 8 months subscription, with no discounts. It makes no difference if Johnny was nit subscribed for one month, or the whole 8 months. Johnny did NOT meet the requirements to receive that bonus chapter, and therefore should not even have the opportunity to experience it. That opportunity to experience the bonus chapter he does NOT qualify to receive is what should be a minimum of $150, not the bonus chapter itself.

For example, the HK-55 bonus chapter should be a minimum of $150, or the equivalent of 8 months subscription, with no discounts. It makes no difference if Johnny was nit subscribed for one month, or the whole 8 months. Johnny did NOT meet the requirements to receive that bonus chapter, and therefore should not even have the opportunity to experience it. That opportunity to experience the bonus chapter he does NOT qualify to receive is what should be a minimum of $150, not the bonus chapter itself.

Seriously? Two AAA games with change that can give me 100s of hours each when HK is only going to be, AT MOST a single hour? That is just insane and no one would buy that, you have to remember being a sub entitles more than just shiny new rewards each month.

Oh, Bioware you wished me well

You, you couldn't tell

That I'd been crying over you

Crying over you

With the HK bonus chapter you said, "So long"

Left me standing all alone

Alone and crying, crying

Crying, crying

Since I hadn't subbed a while

Seriously? Two AAA games with change that can give me 100s of hours each when HK is only going to be, AT MOST a single hour? That is just insane and no one would buy that, you have to remember being a sub entitles more than just shiny new rewards each month.

What would you charge someone who did NOT meet the requirements for that bonus chapter? What do you think would be a fair price, keeping in mind that those who DID qualify for the bonus chapter paid about $120 to remain subscribed for those 8 months?

Remember that anything less than $120 is less than those who actually DID qualify to play that bonus chapter had to pay. Remember that anything less than $120 would be BW essentially telling those that did subscribe for the full 8 months that BW cares nothing for the loyalty those customers showed. Remember that anything less than $120 is only sending the message that "Johnny doesn't have to subscribe for the full 8 months to see that bonus chapter. He can wait and pay (insert pittance X amount here) and get it later."

This is essentially what happened with KoTFE. How many players subscribed for the first 9 chapters and then played as preferred, subbing again for a single month, only after chapter 16 was released.

What would you charge someone who did NOT meet the requirements for that bonus chapter? What do you think would be a fair price, keeping in mind that those who DID qualify for the bonus chapter paid about $120 to remain subscribed for those 8 months?

The formula is larger than "did they sub... or did they not sub?" How long is the HK chapter, is it repeatable, does it have interesting gameplay, how important and well written was the story, does that one hour of story content hold the same value as two completely new AAA games on release that can provide hundreds of hours of content?

IMO they really need to throw out this garbage loyalty system so that the HK chapter is obtainable to ALL subs, it will just depend on how many months they need to be subbed. Forget charging them extra for it, let the HK chapter be obtainable after six months of sub for EVERYONE, each person is still contributing to the game and paid equal services, it shouldn't matter when their six months was, just if they subbed for six months.

The formula is larger than "did they sub... or did they not sub?" How long is the HK chapter, is it repeatable, does it have interesting gameplay, how important and well written was the story, does that one hour of story content hold the same value as two completely new AAA games on release that can provide hundreds of hours of content?

IMO they really need to throw out this garbage loyalty system so that the HK chapter is obtainable to ALL subs, it will just depend on how many months they need to be subbed. Forget charging them extra for it, let the HK chapter be obtainable after six months of sub for EVERYONE, each person is still contributing to the game and paid equal services, it shouldn't matter when their six months was, just if they subbed for six months.

The formula is as simple as "Was Johnny subscribed for the appropriate time, from date A to date B?"

If the answer is "Yes", then Johnny gets to play the bonus chapter. If the answer is "NO", then Johnny does NOT get to play the bonus chapter.

That is ALL there should be to it.

Edited by Ratajack

The formula is as simple as "Was Johnny subscribed for the appropriate time, from date A to date B?"

If the answer is "Yes", then Johnny gets to play the bonus chapter. If the answer is "NO", then Johnny does NOT get to play the bonus chapter.

That is ALL there should be to it.

Seriously Rata? You're not going to compromise at the SLIGHTEST here? Good luck trying to get Bioware selling the HK chapter for 120$ with a mindset and simple formula like that.

Seriously Rata? You're not going to compromise at the SLIGHTEST here? Good luck trying to get Bioware selling the HK chapter for 120$ with a mindset and simple formula like that.

IMO, no one who did NOT qualify for those rewards should have access to them, let alone for a pittance, or far less than those who DO qualify paid.

IMO, BW should not, but IF BW were going to go back on their word and make those exclusive rewards available again, they should carry a price tag FAR greater than those that actually met the criteria had to pay. CC's should also NOT be an option. They should be money transactions, only.

Emphasis mine.

Good luck trying to get BW to sell that bonus chapter to anyone who did NOT qualify to experience it, let alone for the pittance you want to them charge.

If BW's past history is any indication, that will NOT happen, and all of those who do NOT qualify to experience that bonus chapter will just have to learn to live without the experience, no matter how much or how loudly they whine, cry, beg and/or pester BW.

Because they slapped the word "Exclusive" on subscriber rewards. The rewards are trophies/items to show that says to the entire game, i was a subscriber by that day so i can get this awesome item. Like the HK jetpack, the HK weapons (which are pretty awesome). Same with Niko, i was a subscriber so i can have him without doing KotFE. Same with the hutt trainer i was a pre-order player so i got this awesome holo trainer. I wasn't a pre order guy so i just had to deal with it and buy a Sateel and Malgus statue, no i wouldn't wait hutt trainers available again.

Because they put "Exclusive" and/or "Unique" in front of subscriber rewards is the reason why they should not be re-released because it destroys the meaning of having it. It's like giving the founder title to someone who started playing for the first time 5 months ago, hell no.

It does not say exclusive anywhere on the page. As for the whole "it destroys the meaning of having it", ********. It does not. If the rewards were actually worth anything then you would want them anyway. And no, making these items available for purchase on the Cartel Market is not like freely handing out ****. People have to pay for it on the Cartel Market. And besides, let's not pretend that there is not a major difference between actual game content and a pointless title.

Personally I think that check should be enabled if you were around for the period of time required or are willing to pay. And let's not be ridiculously punitive on the costs but put it at an affordable level.

BW does not agree. That is all that matters. Debating it here is irrelevant and I think we've covered all that can be said about it.

He doesnt need to compromise Pete, because they arent going to sell it period. Just like all the other exclusive items people got in the past for meeting criteria.

I also hope they stop this BS of letting people wait until thenlast chapter, and pay $15 for what I essentially paid over $150 for. Sorry I have no sympathy for cheap people that just want to game the system.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

It does not say exclusive anywhere on the page. As for the whole "it destroys the meaning of having it", ********. It does not. If the rewards were actually worth anything then you would want them anyway. And no, making these items available for purchase on the Cartel Market is not like freely handing out ****. People have to pay for it on the Cartel Market. And besides, let's not pretend that there is not a major difference between actual game content and a pointless title.

With that philosophy they should completely do away with the sub rewards program and just put the items up on the Cartel Market then.

If you are going to have a sub reward and then offer to everybody and anybody then the whole subscription reward concept is totally useless and should be done away with.

With that philosophy they should completely do away with the sub rewards program and just put the items up on the Cartel Market then.

If you are going to have a sub reward and then offer to everybody and anybody then the whole subscription reward concept is totally useless and should be done away with.

Thats their point man, they dont want to pay the money for the sub period, then they want the reward for doing so at a discount. That is their whole argument. Then they try to deflect the fact they are asking for special treatment, by cslling the subs that met the requirements "special snowflakes" when the whole issue is they want to be the snowflake and are mad because they arent.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

Thats their point man, they dont want to pay the money for the sub period, then they want the reward for doing so at a discount. That is their whole argument. Then they try to deflect the fact they are asking for special treatment, by cslling the subs that met the requirements "special snowflakes" when the whole issue is they want to be the snowflake and are mad because they arent.

Yup, its a binary decision. Reward =IF (Subbed by M/DD/YYYY, not if subbed after M/DD/YYYY) simple as that. If you werent subbed by that day, which by the way they advertised the crap out of subscriber rewards, form the login page, website page, tiwtter page, etc. And say last 2 days to sub for reward.

If you weren't a subscriber, well sucks to be you because you shouldn't get the reward simply because you were not a subscriber in the allotted time frame.

My favorite MMORPG of all time is Star Wars Galaxies. I was unfortunately not able to actually begin playing it until June 2006. Upon logging in and playing the game for the first few days, I saw this player wearing this amazing Jedi robe with a cloak over it and having the title of "Elder Jedi." I didn't know anything about Pre-CU SWG, CU SWG, and NGE SWG. I had no idea about Jedi being an alpha class and how players had to unlock it before the NGE. What I did know is that the title and the robe were amazing, only to find out I could never obtain them.

I was disappointed. But, I understood why these players were awarded these honors due to their loyalty to the game and the achievement of unlocking Jedi Pre-NGE. I respected these players for what they accomplished, even though many always looked down on me as an "NGE Jedi." To this day I wish I could have become an Elder Jedi and proven I was just as good as they were (I was voted the best Light Side Jedi in PvP two years in a row on my server). But, in the end it was just a title and a robe. There were far more important things I took away from that game: the friends I made, the memories I have, and the achievements I accomplished.

The rewards for being a subscriber in this game are generally far less interesting and less impactful. Sure, you may want HK-55 or you may want Nico Okarr, but does having them truly revolutionize your gaming experience? What should matter is how much joy the game brings you, not whether you have some particular shiny just for the sake of having it. There will always be opportunities for new rewards and the playing field is the same for everybody: subscribe. You don't need to unlock Jedi to get these rewards (the grind for Jedi was long, arduous, and time consuming). The rules apply to everybody fairly.

Subscribe and you will have equal access to all rewards like everybody else. Problem solved.

Edited by Aowin

My favorite MMORPG of all time is Star Wars Galaxies. I was unfortunately not able to actually begin playing it until June 2006. Upon logging in and playing the game for the first few days, I saw this player wearing this amazing Jedi robe with a cloak over it and having the title of "Elder Jedi." I didn't know anything about Pre-CU SWG, CU SWG, and NGE SWG. I had no idea about Jedi being an alpha class and how players had to unlock it before the NGE. What I did know is that the title and the robe were amazing, only to find out I could never obtain them.

I was disappointed. But, I understood why these players were awarded these honors due to their loyalty to the game and the achievement of unlocking Jedi Pre-NGE. I respected these players for what they accomplished, even though many always looked down on me as an "NGE Jedi." To this day I wish I could have become an Elder Jedi and proven I was just as good as they were (I was voted the best Light Side Jedi in PvP two years in a row on my server). But, in the end it was just a title and a robe. There were far more important things I took away from that game: the friends I made, the memories I have, and the achievements I accomplished.

The rewards for being a subscriber in this game are generally far less interesting and less impactful. Sure, you may want HK-55 or you may want Nico Okarr, but does having them truly revolutionize your gaming experience? What should matter is how much joy the game brings you, not whether you have some particular shiny just for the sake of having it. There will always be opportunities for new rewards and the playing field is the same for everybody: subscribe. You don't need to unlock Jedi to get these rewards (the grind for Jedi was long, arduous, and time consuming). The rules apply to everybody fairly.

Subscribe and you will have equal access to all rewards like everybody else. Problem solved.

I agree with your attitude in regards to the rewards (it's just a few items) but I would like to point out that with Elder Jedi, I don't know the exact details of how easy Jedi was to get leading up to the NGE, but I know that some of the people who got Elder Jedi got it in one of the most hardcore, grindfest profession unlocks in MMO history. And after the Village happened, I think it was easier and more straightforward to unlock, but it was still a lot of arduous grinding. It was also really dangerous to be a Jedi in the beginning; I believe there was perma-death at one point, for Jedi.

So there is a bit of distinction there, in that it wasn't just being in the right place at the right time and subscribing to the game. It was rooted in hardcore, grindy gameplay, and I'm sure there were plenty who never got the Elder Jedi stuff, despite playing the game from the start because they just never sunk the time to grind it out.

In other words, paying money at the right time is quite a difference from grinding something out hardcore in gameplay. I don't feel any sort of anything towards those who happened to be here subscribed for the HK55 reward. They had the money, they were here, and they chose to spend it. It wasn't exactly difficult.

I just wanted to pop in and make that distinction.

You misunderstood the entirety of my post then. I'm quite aware of what one had to accomplish in order to unlock Jedi Pre-CU (I wasn't when I started SWG). It was much easier with the CU (when most players unlocked it) as the Village was very straightforward. A good friend of mine, who actually got me into SWG, was one of the first Jedi on my server when the game came out. He ended up selling his account for over $1,300 USD.

My point was I didn't at the time understand or appreciate the dedication and effort these players had to put in. When I did find out the history of the game, I respected these players for their accomplishments. There is nothing like that in SWTOR and the rewards we get are meaningless in comparison to SWG. Thus, complaining for the few rewards we get for subscribing is trivial and silly in comparison.

No one has to worry about unlocking Jedi. All you have to do is subscribe and you'll get everything the rest of the player base gets.

That example is very relevant. Both scenarios revolve around "core" characters and very specific requirements to interact with those core characters. The fact that some people don't like the comparison does not negate the relevance, no matter how much they wish it would.

Make it affordable? What do you call affordable?

You're funny.

Trying to compare a physical meet and greet to a virtual subscriber incentive is not comparable in any way shape or form.

Placing such a high price on the HK-55 and bonus chapter is pointless and unduly punitive.

Considering anyone can sub now and get access to all 16 chapters of KotFE, RotHC and SoR for the price of one months sub, I'm struggling to understand why you're getting so flustered over the suggestion that offering up HK-55's alert and the bonus chapter for a price.

Edited by Vhaegrant

BW does not agree. That is all that matters. Debating it here is irrelevant and I think we've covered all that can be said about it.

Oh I think there's a lot more that could be said about it and as long as it's done in a reasonably constructive manner I don't see you have any authority over this thread.

Oh I think there's a lot more that could be said about it and as long as it's done in a reasonably constructive manner I don't see you have any authority over this thread.

What are you talking about? Authority??? :t_confused:

All I mean is that people can read the umpteen pages of posts and see the case laid-out. If nothing here will change anyone's mind, then I doubt anything will.

You misunderstood the entirety of my post then. I'm quite aware of what one had to accomplish in order to unlock Jedi Pre-CU (I wasn't when I started SWG). It was much easier with the CU (when most players unlocked it) as the Village was very straightforward. A good friend of mine, who actually got me into SWG, was one of the first Jedi on my server when the game came out. He ended up selling his account for over $1,300 USD.

My point was I didn't at the time understand or appreciate the dedication and effort these players had to put in. When I did find out the history of the game, I respected these players for their accomplishments. There is nothing like that in SWTOR and the rewards we get are meaningless in comparison to SWG. Thus, complaining for the few rewards we get for subscribing is trivial and silly in comparison.

No one has to worry about unlocking Jedi. All you have to do is subscribe and you'll get everything the rest of the player base gets.

I guess I did misunderstand something about what you're saying. I'm not totally sure I understand it now. It sounds like you're saying... people who want stuff like the HK-55 in question should just subscribe. But you can't retroactively go back and do that if you missed it. And there isn't even an ongoing rewards program right now, I don't think (just the finish up with the HK chapter if you stayed subbed long enough).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the playing field being even either. Whether it's a timesink wall or a money wall, there are always obstacles that some can't or won't bypass. And then there is the "timing" wall, which is if you weren't around, you lost your chance.

I'm not sure I understand the point about meaninglessness either. An Elder Jedi title and robe are as meaningless as loading up an HK companion, as far as I'm concerned. The only difference is in the perceived prestige of the effort it took to qualify for it. In either case, what people want is the special thing. But to draw a distinction, the Elder Jedi title only made sense for an Elder Jedi to have, i.e. someone who was a Jedi prior to the NGE. Same idea with a title like Founder... would make no sense for somebody who isn't a Founder to have the title Founder. On the other hand, there is nothing distinctive about something like HK-55 that has to do with subscribing during a certain month or year... it's just one of the rewards they chose to give. It isn't a "KOTFE Supporter" title or some such thing. It's a generic reward.

That said (I can see the snipers on the hill aiming down at me) I will reiterate that I get why this is an issue for some people. But I'm not sure I understand the strength of the particular arguments you're making.

Obviously you never played SWG or you weren't intimately familiar with the perks of being an Elder Jedi. It was more than just looks. They had an unfair advantage in the game as well.

I'll make it simple then, since my words apparently flew over your head.

I used "Elder Jedi" in SWG as an example of something I wanted but could never have. The same can be said for non-subscribers or those who weren't subscribed at the right time to obtain HK-55.

The difference for me is I'm not complaining and demanding the developers to make me an Elder Jedi, especially after learning about how arduous and difficult it was to unlock Jedi pre-NGE. People on these forums, as usual, are entitled and believe they deserve everything just because they want it.

My last point is that Elder Jedi and the Elder Robes actually had a tangible value in SWG (they were the best Jedi attire in the game for years putting NGE Jedi at a severe disadvantage). HK-55 does not give a tangible advantage to those who have him over the rest. He was merely a perk for being subscribed at the time. He's no different from the other 30+ companions you can unlock.

Moral of the story: Stop begging for something that actually isn't worth the effort to beg about. Unlike in SWG, you don't have to grind and unlock a class to gain access to these rewards, you just subscribe.

SUBSCRIBE. There is no excuse. That is the point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.