The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Copyright on gameplay videos

Schoock

Hello,

I've recently started posting videos of PvP matches on YouTube. As we all know, the game contains and plays copyrighted but licensed Star Wars music.

When a video with such music gets uploaded to YouTube, it gets flagged as a copyright violation and sometimes I just get a notice that it will be monetized by the copyright owner (note that I'm doing it for free and personally NOT making any money out of it), sometimes it gets fully blocked.

I know this is not the place to ask for legal counsel, but as I'm relatively sure some of you have been in this situation, I ask for your informal advice about what to do in this case. Is merely posting gameplay videos with the music playing in the background considered fair use and I should be able to get the automated copyright claims removed this way, or should I just suck it up? What have you done to remedy this situation?

Thanks for any advice.

Investigate the reasons behind the infringement notifications. Legally they should tell you exactly what portion of the video is being contested.

Any kind of gameplay video is a legal grey area. While the owning company created the game and holds all rights to it, it is the player that is creating the specific action content that is being recorded.

In all honesty, if it is only the music that is being flagged, then just cut off the music in your video. Keep all the rest of the sounds and such, just don't have the music playing. Problem solved.

You won't be sued for copyright violation, but the copyright owner of the Star Wars music (Sony) will try to charge Youtube for broadcast rights. When Youtube wasn't able to negotiate a good wholesale-deal, they will either take down the video completely, mute the video, or block it for certain countries.

To be on the safe side you should disable ingame music.

Edited by Mubrak

Hello,

I've recently started posting videos of PvP matches on YouTube. As we all know, the game contains and plays copyrighted but licensed Star Wars music.

When a video with such music gets uploaded to YouTube, it gets flagged as a copyright violation and sometimes I just get a notice that it will be monetized by the copyright owner (note that I'm doing it for free and personally NOT making any money out of it), sometimes it gets fully blocked.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm no expert or anything, but most gameplay vids do not have the in-game music for just that reason. I'd say remove/mute the music and that should sort the issue. I wish your channel the best of luck. :)

I'm no expert or anything, but most gameplay vids do not have the in-game music for just that reason. I'd say remove/mute the music and that should sort the issue. I wish your channel the best of luck. :)

yeah this is your best and practically only option

Edited by kaitoichika

Its the game music probably. If YouTube gets a hint of the SW sound track or music from the movies, it will automatically slap a copyright on it. In most cases, you can still have your video live, it just means LucasFilm or whoever is claiming the copyright will make money from adverts shown, and get access to data on how many views that video gets etc.

HERE is a YouTube channel where you can download copyright free music to play in your videos.

With your current videos, remove the music and upload them again.

Here is an example of a copyright on a SW Battlefront video I posted

content claimant policy

Imperial Attack - London Symphony Orchestra;John Williams

Sound recording

23:47 - 24:32 play match

SME

On behalf of: Sony Classical

Monetised by copyright owner

Edited by DarthMaulUK

I have had quite a few muted vids too on my account.

Seems rather silly we have to disable ingame music. In my own case it would mean disabling the music at all times during progression runs as you never know when you'll get that sweet first kill.

I would hope bioware / ea could jump in on this one. Not having high hopes they can do anything against it but still.

I have had quite a few muted vids too on my account.

Seems rather silly we have to disable ingame music. In my own case it would mean disabling the music at all times during progression runs as you never know when you'll get that sweet first kill.

I would hope bioware / ea could jump in on this one. Not having high hopes they can do anything against it but still.

they won't jump in.. the music companies and the RIAA are GREEDY MOFO"S youtube is a perfect example of that; its estimated that of all the copyright claims made on youtube music companies/the RIAA account for 60-85 percent of copyright claims