Why do people think that they'll do better in ranked 8v8???

Fabzeros

current balance, every map is broken. no chance of capping "mid"; movement buffs are so broken that you can stall nodes indefinitely from stealth. not sure how or why you think 8v8 in the current balance would be better than prior iterations. please consider that every node-based objective map is easier to cheese and harder to cap in ranked now than it ever was before, and it rarely happened "before." ranked competition is too good for the maps.

Finally someone that get it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's as much being bored to death with deathmatches and wanting something different as much as anything else.

I think it's a combination of "the grass is always greener" + ppl thinking reg WZs is a close approximation of ranked WZs, either because they never played or are viewing the past threw nostalgia goggles. reg arenas aren't even close to what ranked arenas are like, and the difference between reg and ranked arenas is much closer than reg WZs are to ranked WZs.

just to review (again, sorry), in the days of 8v8 ranked -- that's before every class received their god buffs -- ranked maps were stalemates:

• CW mid was never capped;
  • NC mid took 10 minutes or more,
  • AHG went 5 or more pylon explosions without a single captured pylon;
  • Voidstar never got past the first doors (it was defacto TDM scoring! heh);
  • Huttball, the map that most players hate (especially those who don't ranked in the first place), was the only map which you could play objectively without a stalemate -- but class composition was very specific there.

again, that was before every class received their god rolls and immunity sprints and phase walks. now? lol the map is a joke. ops and sins can "leap" meaning all mandos and sages cannot dps from in front of the ball carrier or he's giving a "free leap" to 2 more classes. all warrior specs are (or can make themselves) immune to CC without a white bar. PW guarantees a one pass/leap move to circumvent every fire trap.

I think odessen needs a ranked team to be played properly simply because it's so large and it would benefit from coordination. quesh, I have no idea how that would play, but it's incredibly easy to chince in regs. the vertical nature of the map + all the yellow-ish colors make camera angles and vision a real problem, imo. but at least I don't know those maps will break in 8v8. there's no question that the other maps are broken.

and at the end of the day, classes still are as imbalanced as ever. the "advantages" you're gaining is that it's easier to hide weaker players and weaker specs on an 8-man team than it is on a 4-man team. because the node capture maps are broken in ranked, you can also stall or stalemate nodes indefinitely even though you're a weaker team overall -- this was true in 8v8 ranked before, and it's doubly true now that you can move quicker from spawn to node.

Edited by foxmob

I think it's a combination of "the grass is always greener" + ppl thinking reg WZs is a close approximation of ranked WZs, either because they never played or are viewing the past threw nostalgia goggles. reg arenas aren't even close to what ranked arenas are like, and the difference between reg and ranked arenas is much closer than reg WZs are to ranked WZs.

just to review (again, sorry), in the days of 8v8 ranked -- that's before every class received their god buffs -- ranked maps were stalemates:

• CW mid was never capped;
  • NC mid took 10 minutes or more,
  • AHG went 5 or more pylon explosions without a single captured pylon;
  • Voidstar never got past the first doors (it was defacto TDM scoring! heh);
  • Huttball, the map that most players hate (especially those who don't ranked in the first place), was the only map which you could play objectively without a stalemate -- but class composition was very specific there.

again, that was before every class received their god rolls and immunity sprints and phase walks. now? lol the map is a joke. ops and sins can "leap" meaning all mandos and sages cannot dps from in front of the ball carrier or he's giving a "free leap" to 2 more classes. all warrior specs are (or can make themselves) immune to CC without a white bar. PW guarantees a one pass/leap move to circumvent every fire trap.

I think odessen needs a ranked team to be played properly simply because it's so large and it would benefit from coordination. quesh, I have no idea how that would play, but it's incredibly easy to chince in regs. the vertical nature of the map + all the yellow-ish colors make camera angles and vision a real problem, imo. but at least I don't know those maps will break in 8v8. there's no question that the other maps are broken.

and at the end of the day, classes still are as imbalanced as ever. the "advantages" you're gaining is that it's easier to hide weaker players and weaker specs on an 8-man team than it is on a 4-man team. because the node capture maps are broken in ranked, you can also stall or stalemate nodes indefinitely even though you're a weaker team overall -- this was true in 8v8 ranked before, and it's doubly true now that you can move quicker from spawn to node.

Pretty much this^^^^^^