The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stop making good items more scarce. Add things to buy directly from shop.

Bannidles

All the good items (the items that aren't recycled junk) are becoming increasingly rare and next to impossible to get unless you choose to buy cartel coins instead of pay your mortgage. All the decent lightsabers and mounts are simply unaccessable to regular people.....even your customers that still spend a decent amount in the cash shop. You might want to consider releasing some items like the wented or unstable saber or some of the better mounts as silvers and then have "special ones" that are super rare. Better yet, how about you actually update your shop with new items we can buy directly. You have the same old stuff that has been there for 2 years. All you do is update cartel packs and then just make things harder to get.

Look at what TERA does. You can buy practically anything for a set price and if you want to gamble....THEN you buy the cheap packs. I know you are watching TERA..Thenew pack opening mini-game you just added is practically a carbon copy of TERAs.

Swtor probably has the worst cash shop I have ever seen. Nothing but stuff I already get because I am subbed, a bunch of 2 year old armors and endless RNG packs that will only drop something decent if you spend $300.

If you aren't going to add OPs at least make my character customization experience a good one.

Thank you.

Edited by Bannidles

Swtor probably has the worst cash shop I have ever seen. Nothing but stuff I already get because I am subbed, a bunch of 2 year old armors and endless RNG packs that will only drop something decent if you spend $300.

You must just be unlucky. I've generally had good results from the packs. (And last night, I had an emergency expenditure of two Battler supercrates so I could score some companion gifts for Lana on a DvL character in Chapter III. The new interface is excellent.)

I'm also pleased that the new interface works with stacks of Chance Cubes, although it could use a "reveal and stash all the contents of this entire stack" button so I don't have to click Next Pack 48 times for my stack of GCCs.

You must just be unlucky. I've generally had good results from the packs. (And last night, I had an emergency expenditure of two Battler supercrates so I could score some companion gifts for Lana on a DvL character in Chapter III. The new interface is excellent.)

I'm also pleased that the new interface works with stacks of Chance Cubes, although it could use a "reveal and stash all the contents of this entire stack" button so I don't have to click Next Pack 48 times for my stack of GCCs.

I must admit, I am not the luckiest at the RNG thing, though I did score a dyable string bikini during Tera's swimwear sale this week after only opening one box.

My point is, I shouldn't have to have "good luck" in order to make my character look good. The problem with SWTOR is you either have the same-old re-colored meshes or the really neat seemingly impossible to get items.

I am not even complaining about "cash-shops". I would be perfectly happy if some variant of the unstable light saber could be bought for 15 bucks in the store.

Edited by Bannidles

I am not even complaining about "cash-shops". I would be perfectly happy if some variant of the unstable light saber could be bought for 15 bucks in the store.

I'm actually with you on this idea. I have the XoXaan set because one time it was available for direct purchase. And at the time, people complained about the price point they chose (2000 CCs if memory serves), but if you bought it, you got the whole set, guaranteed. The higher-than-typical price kept it somewhat scarce. (And much later I got at least one copy of the set from a BSG box and/or a Grand Chance Cube, and later still, it made for an awesome effect for a Rattataki Sorc.)

And therein lies the rub. For the more ... desirable ... items (slightly malfunctioning sabres, armour previously worn by the galaxy's greatest turn-coat(1), etc.), a higher price-point would seem appropriate, to keep their quantitative presence low. But you have to balance that against the will to not upset the players too much by setting the price higher than they like.

(1) Somewhat red-facedly, I'll admit that I do have the Revan Reborn set unlocked on one of my characters. For ... reasons(2) ... it is my main commandogirl, but it is unlocked. One day, maybe I'll account-unlock it.

(2) You know, as in, like, I'm stupid. Those reasons.

I tend to agree. Not that I'm covering any new ground with what I've said before.

Funny thing is, there are all these direct sale items in the CM right now (equipment) that I don't really want or find more than vaguely appealing. They probably look at that without knowing my motivations, or the motivations of tons like me, and just assume that people aren't that into direct sales. And it's like... no, if I actually wanted the items a lot, I would buy them for direct sale (assuming I could afford them). I'm not going to pay for direct sale for something I don't want.

If it's a matter of not wanting to have too many direct sale equipment items up for sale at once, then just cycle stuff out every month or every few months, like you do with everything else. Pull out some equipment that is really desirable and give people a chance to just straight up buy it.

They can be older items, just... DO IT. MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

I must admit, I am not the luckiest at the RNG thing, though I did score a dyable string bikini during Tera's swimwear sale this week after only opening one box.

My point is, I shouldn't have to have "good luck" in order to make my character look good. The problem with SWTOR is you either have the same-old re-colored meshes or the really neat seemingly impossible to get items.

I bought over 200 of those swimsuit boxes during the swimwear sale. All nine of my elf characters has a dyeable deep v, Torpedo, and dyeable silver bikini. However, I only have three dyeable bleach swimsuits. I been debating whether to buy the new swimsuits or buy a single hypercrate. I have enough items in swtor left over from before I quit that I could sell to make enough credits to buy a defiant saber. However, I am not certain about buying yet another single hand platinum saber. I already have two single hand platinum sabers and platinum weapons for all the classes.

Edited by Knockerz

Disagree, Packs are there for a reason revenue add in direct sales = less revenue in time

So what? Because it is a good revenue stream (for now) it is completely justified even if many customers don't agree with it? Direct sales does not equate less revenue. If they add new items every month people will buy. Want proof? Every popular new product ever. Hypercrate sales rely on people NOT getting fed up with them. With such a limited and fickle consumer base...i'd say that packs will mean less revenue over time.

Edited by Bannidles

Yeah, if you mean rare and earned in game through playing.alomost every gamer would agree. In a cashshop...not so much

Doesn't matter where its earned tbh, games need rare things or else whats the point of even calling it an MMO everyone's the same?

Credits are so plentiful compared to rare items anyway, not sure what the problem is

IE: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2rnd0sl.jpg

Also that's not all my credits combined, have another 300mish or so as well on diff toons, and also nearly 700m on harbinger

So is this you trying to make a point or just showing off? I guarantee you most people aren't carrying around over a billion credits spread across different toons.

People who have that kind of money typically:

1) Have been playing the game for years

2) Rarely buy anything

3) Work the market like crazy (which is partly related to 1... helps for working the market if you've been around for a long time, long enough for old stuff you're carrying to gain major value*)

1 is just a time cap. You can't magically have been playing for years if you haven't. 2 defeats the point of getting the items you want. And 3 is a zero-sum-game, where if too many people are trying to play the market, then each one will make less overall due to the competition.

You can be proud of your in-game wealth, by all means. But don't act like it's normal to have that much.

*Incidentally, carrying old stock that has value built up over years is one reason why a wealthy player like yourself may want stuff to remain rare. It keeps you in a position of ensuring you stay wealthy, since you can sell off old stuff to replenish your funds any time you really want to buy something new that is expensive.

Just saying its doable, no need to make these easier than they already are I haven't played the game for 2 years after taking a long break, and came back a few months ago for DvL and yeah I been playing since beta.

Also as for buying stuff, I have 100% of the CM vehicles completed not all unlocked of course would cost way to much real $, also about 3b into decorations

Edited by Theeko

Just saying its doable, no need to make these easier than they already are I haven't played the game for 2 years after taking a long break, and came back a few months ago for DvL and yeah I been playing since beta.

Also as for buying stuff, I have 100% of the CM vehicles completed not all unlocked of course would cost way to much real $, also about 3b into decorations

Fair enough. It's just, for many people it's not remotely doable. I get that stuff being rare is part of the selling point of MMOs. But putting some stuff on the shop for direct sale (more than what is already there) won't suddenly make everything not rare. There's a balance to be had in there.

In fact, IME, stuff that is currently up for direct sale and has been for a while isn't always cheap for credits. It might not be super expensive, but it's not necessarily a handout either.

Well if they did a direct sale for most of the rare items they would have to value in the average of packs it took to open as well, so rarely someone would get a revan set in 1-10 packs, but the average I've seen was around 3-5 hypercrates so they would probably have to make a price range of atleast 3 1/2 - 4 Hypercrates worth to purchase it directly, so maybe then it would be doable

Doesn't matter where its earned tbh, games need rare things or else whats the point of even calling it an MMO everyone's the same?

It does matter. Go to the WoW forums, most heavily populated MMO, and say that the best looking gear should only be available in the cash shop and in RNG crates. Watch your thread be downvoted into oblivion. Players want customization to be accessible. Not gated. Players will however tend to accept that certain items are only attached to achieves like heroic raiding etc but ONLY if the rest of the items in game aren't garbage re-meshes of ugly crap (a la SWTOR) You are entitled to your opinion but after playing MMOs for over a decade, your opinion is not shared by many players.

Edited by Bannidles

Well if they did a direct sale for most of the rare items they would have to value in the average of packs it took to open as well, so rarely someone would get a revan set in 1-10 packs, but the average I've seen was around 3-5 hypercrates so they would probably have to make a price range of atleast 3 1/2 - 4 Hypercrates worth to purchase it directly, so maybe then it would be doable

Why does it have to be pegged to the price of hypercrates? Why are hypercrates even an acceptable thing here? Out of all the games I have played I have never seen such a devotion to a cash shop. EVER. It is like SWTOR players exist in some sort of vortex where defending cheesy cash grab tactics are "end game" content. I suppose it is because of the exodus of the competitive player base that has left the Second Life credit card yeah-story gamers to choose the direction this game takes.

It does matter. Go to the WoW forums, most heavily populated MMO, and say that the best looking gear should only be available in the cash shop and in RNG crates. Watch your thread be downvoted into oblivion. Players want customization to be accessible. Not gated. Players will however tend to accept that certain items are only attached to achieves like heroic raiding etc but ONLY if the rest of the items in game aren't garbage re-meshes of ugly crap (a la SWTOR) You are entitled to your opinion but after playing MMOs for over a decade, your opinion is not shared by many players.

It's also shared by alot, matter of opinion

Why does it have to be pegged to the price of hypercrates? Why are hypercrates even an acceptable thing here? Out of all the games I have played I have never seen such a devotion to a cash shop. EVER. It is like SWTOR players exist in some sort of vortex where defending cheesy cash grab tactics are "end game" content. I suppose it is because of the exodus of the competitive player base that has left the Second Life credit card yeah-story gamers to choose the direction this game takes.

You really think Swtor is the only game that caters to cash shop only? Try looking at AoC, BDO, AA and tell me wrong

You really think Swtor is the only game that caters to cash shop only? Try looking at AoC, BDO, AA and tell me wrong

Also: Runes of Magic, Allods Online (although there is a way to get cash shop currency for in-game gold, using this option requires you to be a dedicated gold-grinder).

And ultimately the stuff on the SWTOR cash shop, *all* of it, is fluff. We can discuss XP boosts, Ops/WZ/FP/rail-shooter passes, character slots, stuff like that, but e.g. XP boosts don't allow you to level up *higher*, just *faster*.

On the other hand, the AA cash shop is a mix of fluff and actual advantages, including a resource regen item (the hot tub) that gave owners a boost that NOTHING else could match. Not a big boost, but a boost all the same.

And some games, Perfect World and League of Angels being cited as examples (I've never played either), have dominating items that are available only in their cash shops. Sometimes the domination is total, sometimes partial.

Exactly; The Battler pack I bought was 5 of the same exact mounts (not a good one) comp. gifts, emotes, supplemental armors and other very useless items, not even 1 of anything shown on the Advertised picture. It was really bad. As suggested many times over the time this game has been around make more of the items "Direct Buy". Even the most basic items for the S.H. are 1 PVP only (more Don't then Do) 2 Lost in old packs never to be seen again (Who's idea was it to have a mkt and don't sell anything?) or 3 make their availability (and price) so that they're never seen in any S.H. in the game? Trophy's should be limited yes "Earn it to have it" but chairs, guards, banners Theme items. Open the Market; people aren't going to spend money if they think they'll only get *Fluff forever. The Criteria for competition gets easier and easier the longer players are unsatisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

- stop buying Hypercrates

- if they want money , let them sell the items individually

- i bought a Hypercrate and got 25.000.000 credits ... most sets i want cost 100.000.000 credits

- really does Bioware think i'm going to pay 40 $ x 4 Hypercrates so i can afford 1 armor set ?

- 120 $ for an armor set is unacceptable , i will not pay this price for a virtual item

Edited by banimoka