Insta-Loot "something"

Matt-ITA

Bouncing between SWTOR and LOTRO like I do, this is the most annoying aspect of SWTOR for me. LOTRO has spoiled me. My LOTRO Hunter can pew-pew from range and whatever drops off the mob automatically enters my inventory without me taking a step or doing a thing. In the olden days of the before-before times in the long-long ago, I would have to trot over to my kills and manually loot them.

So, yes, please, this would be a great addition to SWTOR.

That would actually cause problems with a few quests (the Shock Doctrine Imperial heroic on Alderaan being the most obvious example I can come up with, but there are others too).

The mechanic where you need to kill enemies and then do something with the corpses (keep your minds out of the gutter, guys) would be even more annoying if there is an auto-loot enabled. The corpses with no loot or which have been looted disappear very quickly (unless there is a bug which causes them to pile up everywhere and never vanish). So you need to finish the fight then do whatever it is you are going to do, then loot. Otherwise by the time you have finished a fight against a group, with auto-loot firing off mid-fight, you have probably one corpse left to use.

Making the auto-loot an option would be possible, but if one person in a group has it enabled then it would probably cause the same "vanishing corpse" problem.

Either way, it probably leads to a potentially very toxic experience, all for the sake of saving you a "right-click when the fight ends" action.

Bouncing between SWTOR and LOTRO like I do, this is the most annoying aspect of SWTOR for me. LOTRO has spoiled me. My LOTRO Hunter can pew-pew from range and whatever drops off the mob automatically enters my inventory without me taking a step or doing a thing. In the olden days of the before-before times in the long-long ago, I would have to trot over to my kills and manually loot them.

So, yes, please, this would be a great addition to SWTOR.

SWG has auto-loot as well. Would be nice to have an auto-loot.

That would actually cause problems with a few quests (the Shock Doctrine Imperial heroic on Alderaan being the most obvious example I can come up with, but there are others too).

The mechanic where you need to kill enemies and then do something with the corpses (keep your minds out of the gutter, guys) would be even more annoying if there is an auto-loot enabled. The corpses with no loot or which have been looted disappear very quickly (unless there is a bug which causes them to pile up everywhere and never vanish). So you need to finish the fight then do whatever it is you are going to do, then loot. Otherwise by the time you have finished a fight against a group, with auto-loot firing off mid-fight, you have probably one corpse left to use.

Making the auto-loot an option would be possible, but if one person in a group has it enabled then it would probably cause the same "vanishing corpse" problem.

Either way, it probably leads to a potentially very toxic experience, all for the sake of saving you a "right-click when the fight ends" action.

Not really. SWG has auto-loot and there been times we need to examine the body, get an item off the body, etc and it can still be done if they program it right.

Not really. SWG has auto-loot and there been times we need to examine the body, get an item off the body, etc and it can still be done if they program it right.
LOTRO has quests like that too. When I kill such a mob, I auto-get their loot, but there is a gold quest ring over the body that keeps it there until I interact with it.

Also, just consider how many times we're right-clicking to gather loot (aside from having to get within SWTOR auto-loot range to do so) versus how many missions require we interact with corpses.

Edited by Thoronmir

Hello,

I'd like to propose something that would auto-loot for us. I don't know, maybe a Pet or a companion itself. Or maybe just a legacy perk that doesn't force us to go close to a corpse and loot it.

Yeah; I want my magpie.(1) And the training manual.

(1) Allods Online has this feature. Very useful. There were a few different loot pets, but I preferred the Magpie. And the training manual was there to train it how to gather from resource nodes. It was just wonderful riding across a map watching the magpie flying out to mine ore, chop down trees, or gather herbs and ... interesting ... mushrooms.

Why not go all the way and ask for Auto-Play option instead... so you just sit back and drink your coffee while an AI controls your character for you.... Then you won't have to bother with annoying little thingies like looting, fighting mobs, or, you know... playing...

:mon_rolleyes:

Hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

I've never considered looting part of "playing the game". It's just a necessary nuisance. Moving through the landscape, interacting with other players, fighting enemies, overthrowing emperors ... that is playing the game, and I'd never want a button to do all that for me. But looting? That's just picking up the trash on your way out of the room ... it's housekeeping. I work with several gamers ... not one has ever recommended a game to me because of the looting mechanics: "Hey, Thor, you just have to try 'Frontier Wagon Train III'! Yeah, you spend most of your time in first-person view driving a wagon, but check out the animation for looting!" If seeking an auto-loot feature equates to wanting a global Easy Button, then every Quality of Life improvement is the same.

The trigger for the body to disappear in SWG is somewhat different though - harvesting resources from the corpses in SWG has the same effect as looting in swtor.

My biggest objection to auto-loot would be that SWG was designed from the ground up (iirc) for auto-loot, while swtor was designed for player-controlled looting. I would not expect the dev team to catch or fix all of the instances where a change in looting mechanics breaks something. Given the track record with updates and bug fixes in swtor, I would also not expect any such breakages to be fixed promptly by the devs or to be solved by the CSR "It's a bug, wait for a future platch" team.

Am I saying that auto-loot is a bad idea? No, I am not.

But I AM saying that the increased convenience of auto-looting is not worth the almost-inevitable problems that would come with that change being made. Effectively, I am agreeing with you (sorry for breaking the Internet) - it could be done if it is programmed right, but I do not have confidence that it would be programmed right so I prefer the current option to a few more broken quests.

The trigger for the body to disappear in SWG is somewhat different though - harvesting resources from the corpses in SWG has the same effect as looting in swtor.

My biggest objection to auto-loot would be that SWG was designed from the ground up (iirc) for auto-loot, while swtor was designed for player-controlled looting. I would not expect the dev team to catch or fix all of the instances where a change in looting mechanics breaks something. Given the track record with updates and bug fixes in swtor, I would also not expect any such breakages to be fixed promptly by the devs or to be solved by the CSR "It's a bug, wait for a future platch" team.

But I AM saying that the increased convenience of auto-looting is not worth the almost-inevitable problems that would come with that change being made. Effectively, I am agreeing with you (sorry for breaking the Internet) - it could be done if it is programmed right, but I do not have confidence that it would be programmed right so I prefer the current option to a few more broken quests.

I don't disagree with your skepticism about SWTOR developers' ability to program a landscape rock without introducing a bug. But that can be said about any change to the game. We shouldn't let that lack of faith in the developers inhibit our ideas to improve the game. Perhaps SWTOR is so fragile that they really should just stop making changes. Perhaps we're not really playing a Science-Fantasy genre MMO, but we're really just playing Space-Jenga ... waiting for the developers to pull on the wrong piece and bring the whole thing crashing down.

Also, auto-loot was added to LOTRO years after its release without mishap.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you about the confidence with the devs here. Their record of fixing bugs is not a very great one, which is very sad when you compare their bug fixes to other games.

Why not go all the way and ask for Auto-Play option instead... so you just sit back and drink your coffee while an AI controls your character for you.... Then you won't have to bother with annoying little thingies like looting, fighting mobs, or, you know... playing...

:mon_rolleyes:

Auto-looting has nothing to do with playing the game but if you really want to go down this road using your companions could be said that you are auto-playing the game considering how powerful they are. Of course by your comment it is easy to see that you just want to create drama so on that note have a good weekend and goodbye.

Note: For everyone else I am not recommending not for you to use your companions.

Auto-looting has nothing to do with playing the game but if you really want to go down this road using your companions could be said that you are auto-playing the game considering how powerful they are. Of course by your comment it is easy to see that you just want to create drama so on that note have a good weekend and goodbye.

Actually, the companions became OP only recently, while I've been playing this game for more than four years already... There was a time when comps had only one role each (or two stances at best) and you had to gear them up every few levels - or you'd end up wiping on story content.

As for the "drama" I supposedly wanted to create - you misunderstand. My post, while admittedly sarcastic, meant that there are far more important things for the devs to address in this game then catering to people's laziness (sorry, but that's what it is - how hard is it to click the dead mobs, really?). Like fix the bugs that had been around for years. Or add new content that is actually interesting.

I wouldn't mind this as a legacy feature similar to auto-mounting. Looting is just a time sink, I am entirely okay with removing time sinks.
You raise a valid point. Auto-loot would really be just like auto-mounting (a QOL improvement for those of us who are too "lazy" to bother with stopping so we can mount our speeders). And I, too, wouldn't mind if they made it a Legacy feature. Actually makes sense in the context of the auto-mount feature. Edited by Thoronmir

You raise a valid point. Auto-loot would really be just like auto-mounting (a QOL improvement for those of us who are too "lazy" to bother with stopping so we can mount our speeders). And I, too, wouldn't mind if they made it a Legacy feature. Actually makes sense in the context of the auto-mount feature.

Even then you have to click a button to mount. Not much different than clicking a body when you have auto loot and area loot turned on.

Even then you have to click a button to mount. Not much different than clicking a body when you have auto loot and area loot turned on.

The biggest convenience I see added is not having to backtrack to a corpse. Also advantageous for ranged dps. I just see it as a minor convenience improvement.

Ganking maybe?

Not ganking - normal world pvp. I think the only zone where companions are not allowed is the Ilum pvp zone and they did it because people were complaining about the constant cc from companions.

Not ganking - normal world pvpQUOTE]

I thought ganking *was* normal world pvp... That said, the only world PvP I've done in SWTOR might count as ganking, if:

* It didn't matter that he started it.

* It's considered ganking that I fought back, level 32 (me) versus 29 (him) and won.

* He might have been trying to help me take down NPCs(1), as I was fighting very noobishly.

That last possibility has always bothered me. He might have been trying to help, and I killed him for it. On the other hand, he was red-name Imperial scum, so what do you expect a Republic trooper to do?

(1) Bridge guards at the extreme west end of the Glarus valley zone on Alderaan. Version 2.0 was reasonably new at that point. I should, of course, have crossed the river before going into that zone, and failing that, I should have tried crossing at the spots part-way along, since I was travelling to the Republic base north of the river. After the fight, I ran away, in case he had friends in the area. (Also because I *was* travelling, not generally exploring.)

The only time I've consciously gone after someone seeking to gank him was in Allods Online. I was level 47 or so, slumming it in a level 31-35 zone (for no particularly good reason, as I recall), and an opposite-faction guy (about level 32) deployed a "War Banner" (a consumable that drops from mobs in PvP zones - for one hour, allows the owner to attack people who have not flagged for PvP, but automatically flags the owner during that hour), so I mounted up and charged down, seeking to take him out before he could take on anyone on my faction. He must have seen me coming, because he suddenly mounted up and lit out like all the demons from all the levels of Hell were after him.

You read that right, by the way. The War Banner allows the user to ignore the fact that people have flagged themselves for PvE-not-PvP. Its existence in Allods and non-existence in SWTOR is prima faecie evidence that OWPvP is baked into the design philosophy of Allods, and NOT into SWTOR's.

You read that right, by the way. The War Banner allows the user to ignore the fact that people have flagged themselves for PvE-not-PvP. Its existence in Allods and non-existence in SWTOR is prima faecie evidence that OWPvP is baked into the design philosophy of Allods, and NOT into SWTOR's.

No. The fact that SWTOR had PVP servers and the design of Ilum at launch proves you wrong. The fact that the engine wasn't good enough to support large scale pvp doesn't mean that OWPVP wasn't part of their design. After that slideshow they tried to make it more contained and at smaller scale. Doesn't change the fact that SWTOR was designed with OWPVP in mind.

Edited by Tsetso

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.