The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro vs AP

IGenocideI

So I recently came back to swtor after a long break, and after trying both specs (in midbies), I really really feel strong AF as pyro xD. Now I realize obviously you lose out on burst, but with Pyro it just feel like I'm absolutely wrecking people lol.

Basically I wanna know is it REALLY as bad as everyone says?

So I recently came back to swtor after a long break, and after trying both specs (in midbies), I really really feel strong AF as pyro xD. Now I realize obviously you lose out on burst, but with Pyro it just feel like I'm absolutely wrecking people lol.

Basically I wanna know is it REALLY as bad as everyone says?

how bad do they say it is? virtually every pt i see is ap. i can't remember the last time i saw a pyro, but if you like it and it seems to work for you, then go for it. one thing i will tell you is that lowbies and midbies are in no way comparable to what you will find at 65. every toon i have ever leveled felt like a god starting out, but settled down to more like what i was expecting, as i got closer and closer to 65.

how bad do they say it is? virtually every pt i see is ap. i can't remember the last time i saw a pyro, but if you like it and it seems to work for you, then go for it. one thing i will tell you is that lowbies and midbies are in no way comparable to what you will find at 65. every toon i have ever leveled felt like a god starting out, but settled down to more like what i was expecting, as i got closer and closer to 65.

It's just unfortunate because it's so visually pleasing and fun to play, but if pyro sucks that bad I don't want to spend all my time getting better at it instead of a better spec =\

It's just unfortunate because it's so visually pleasing and fun to play, but if pyro sucks that bad I don't want to spend all my time getting better at it instead of a better spec =\

Pyro is absolutely viable and highly performing in regs. Its defenses are better than AP, imo.

AP is more popular than AP because is more viable and performant in Arenas. But that is not completely true.

Depends on the opponent team. Against sages is a complete disaster but against Juggs and stealths is better.

Currently sages-sorcs are overperforming and 2-3 in a wz or arena is common.

Edited by Aetideus

• 2 weeks later...

People play AP over pyro, because burst DPS is the only DPS that matters. There are more sage/sorc healers in PVP right now, than ever before. Having big numbers at on the scoreboard, at the end of the match, doesn't mean anything if no one died because all of your fluffy DOT damage was cleaned up by roaming mend without the enemy healers even paying attention to your targets.

Burst is important because it allows you to make someone explode before a healer can react. Surprise burst damage is also really good for making many players panic and blow a bunch of their DCDs at once, in my experience.

If you're having fun running into mobs of enemies, spamming flame sweep to rack up big numbers on the scoreboard, that's fine, but don't pretend that your character isn't close to dead weight.

Edited by HaoZhao

People play AP over pyro, because burst DPS is the only DPS that matters. There are more sage/sorc healers in PVP right now, than ever before. Having big numbers at on the scoreboard, at the end of the match, doesn't mean anything if no one died because all of your fluffy DOT damage was cleaned up by roaming mend without the enemy healers even paying attention to your targets.

Burst is important because it allows you to make someone explode before a healer can react. Surprise burst damage is also really good for making many players panic and blow a bunch of their DCDs at once, in my experience.

If you're having fun running into mobs of enemies, spamming flame sweep to rack up big numbers on the scoreboard, that's fine, but don't pretend that your character isn't close to dead weight.

@ OP: I'm assuming you are talking about pvp. Although I might have worded a few things differently this is true. AP is just plain better than pyro since the original AP was gutted in 3.0. Pyro now is probably the worst spec in the game in my opinion. That said, in reg pvp it can still do just fine as long as there aren't many healers. All specs are viable in regular warzones, but not all specs are equal. The face roll power you feel now as pyro would be multiplied exponentially if you play AP. One caveat is that AP is one of the squisher specs in the game. It's easy to get off your damage or carbonize and run away if need be, but don't think you can face tank like a jugg or Mara. That will get you killed quickly.

Now one last thing, I believe it is important to play every spec of every class so that you have experience and know how to deal with any threat no matter what class or spec you are trying. So even though AP is better I would still encourage you to get good at not only AP, but also pyro and shield tech as well as all the specs of the other classes too.

Edited by Saikochoro

That is a common scenario in a random reg with a bunch of sorcs running wild. Fluff dmg. But if you ever been against balanced preds or guardians and tanks Pyro might be more useful.

Edited by Aetideus

Pyro isn't as bad as people say it is, but AP is far superior in 65 pvp.

In HM ops, I parse 5500-6k in nearly full 224's as PYRO. In AP, i parse 4800-5500.

Pyro is a lot easier heat management, and if you have a IO merc, or an engineering sniper, they apply a debuff to their target that increases elemental damage taken by +7%.

Marked: +5% incoming Ranged damage

Beat Down: +5% incoming Melee damage

Susceptible: +5% incoming Tech damage

Vulnerable: +5% incoming Force damage

Assailable: +7% incoming Internal/Elemental damage

Overwhelmed: +10% AoE damage

Sundered: -20% armor rating