[Event] A unique chance to learn Galactic StarFighter

Fifty-Two

Good day everyone!

Have you given up on Galactic StarFighter a while ago? Were you scared off by some of its players? Do you think it’s too hard and you’ll never learn how to fly properly? Then this is a unique chance for you! On Saturday 27 August there will be an event on The Red Eclipse on the Imperial Faction where you can group up with a Veteran to get to know GSF in a fun way.

Grouping up

You will be in a group of at maximum three Rookies and one Veteran, designated with a colour. The Veteran will answer all questions you may have, can give tips on what ships and upgrades to choose, and you will be practicing different tactics under his or her leadership. For smooth communication the TSS (Thranta Squadron public mumble Server) will be available and each Squadron will have its very own channel to use. There will be a zero-tolerance policy here: as soon as the Veteran has to ask the Organization to kick someone out, they’re out.

Who can participate?

Anyone can! Even if you’ve never heard of GSF before now, you’re welcome to join up. Rookies with any kind of skill level are welcome to sign up and there are no requirements. If you’ve played over 500 matches however, maybe you should consider signing up as a Veteran ;) . The Veterans will be handpicked by the Thranta Squadron Management Team, to ensure each Squadron gets a friendly Veteran, capable of giving the leadership the group needs.

Signing up

You can sign up on a special website: www.showingrookiestheropes.tk. If you’d like to learn more about the event, you can visit the dedicated thread in the GSF Forums to do so. Don’t forget to tell everyone you think might be interested!

The Thranta Squadron Management Team

Edited by Fifty-Two

In principle, you can start playing GSF at level 1.

If you want to do the introductory mission, however, you must first get to the fleet to pick it up from the PvP mission terminal. We do always recommend that you get this mission first, since it gives a lot of benefits.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :).

In principle, you can start playing GSF at level 1.

If you want to do the introductory mission, however, you must first get to the fleet to pick it up from the PvP mission terminal. We do always recommend that you get this mission first, since it gives a lot of benefits.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :).

Just in case anyone wonders: The PvP terminal becomes accesible at level 10.

Edited by Danalon

• 2 weeks later...
Time for a status update! We have had a lot of positive responses, including some really enthusiastic ones. Messages about GSF being dead have also not eluded us, though they have only strenghtened our resolve. Don't forget to sign up if you're interested and tell your friends about the event!

Red Eclipse is pretty active for GSF and this is a really good idea and a good chance to learn GSF. It's very difficult and the community isn't afraid to help out. I highly recommend that you do this if you've ever considered trying GSF, as queueing in with a veteran to help in games that will be mostly noob vs. noob will be a lot less frustrating and a lot more rewarding than the usual GSF queue.

~ Eudoxia

• 2 weeks later...

All right, another update! First the bad news: the website for the event has been offline for about nine hours in total today. The first six hours were because the server crashed after an automated reboot, the other three hours were because I was busy fixing the issues and updating the Operating System on the server for good measure. The server had to go down to fix the issues anyway ;) .

Then the good news! I have started on a GSF parser, of which I have proudly released Version 0.1. The parser is written in Python (for the tech-savvy among you) and the source code is available on GitHub: GSF-Parser-Public. For now the parser only returns the damage dealt, damage taken and healing received, and in some cases not even accurately, but it's a start! Pyril was unfortunately too busy to work on it himself, but he did give me a lot of help and tips, so don't forget to give him a bit of the credit. As of now you can't use the parser without Python 2.7 installed, but for the non-tech-savvy among you I'll tell you all how to use the parser:

1. First, download the files in the repository by clicking on the green button on the page, and then download as .zip.

2. Unpack the downloaded file and put it somewhere for safe-keeping. Read the LICENSE for good measure.

3. Download Python 2.7.12 from here. The Python home-page is python.org

4. Install Python by clicking "next" a few times. No special settings are required, though you might want to change the default installation directory to something different (I wanted to).

5. After the installation, open main.py by double-clicking it and enter the path for your CombatLogs (usually C:\Users\{yourusername}\Documents\Star Wars - The Old Republic\CombatLogs) and then a file name for a combatlog. Then the parsing will start automatically.

If you have any tips or improvements for me, you can contact me in several ways. You can send me a DM through the forums, send me an email at redfantom@outlook.com or report an issue in the GitHub repository. You could also post it here, of course ;)

• 2 weeks later...