Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

stop making excuses just because *blank* is 7 years old

SuperomegaOP

Which is pretty much the only reason why WoW ever took off in the way it did, it wasn't MMO players playing it. If it had been, given its subscriber numbers, every other MMO would have shut down.

People playing WoW were the b.net hard kiddies that came along because it was the next big Blizzard thing, these are not the people that plague forums with posts like the OPs. WoW, great for Blizzard, awful for MMOs.

I think you are very wrong. Blizzard, apart from the lore and ready made stories from the previous single player games, did some very strong technical novelties. There were very little loading screens! You could travel across a whole continent without the need to load anything (this was the impression which is what matters to the players). This alone was already too good 7 years ago. Remember that Wow did not had the massive acceptance from classic. After the first expansion people started pouring in with tremendous rate.

We have to be fair. I am bored to wow at the moment but I've been playing for 7 years. You cannot disregard in any way how good this game is. I hope this one will last for several years and see something good. But communities are not built upon wow haters. Are built on Swtor fans. Not fanboys. FANS. Because they do a good job and people appreciate this job. Not because it is bioware!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Strain, How to Create a Successful MMO, at Games Convention Developer's Conference

This is a tough industry, and only the most committed studios and publishers with solid long-term financial backing should be undertaking MMO development. I can assure you that releasing an MMO into the market before the development team is proud of it will result in writing off every penny invested in its development. The best publishers are willing to give development teams time for polish and balance. In the MMO market, there is simply no other option, and many publishers are not willing to make this commitment.

Read the whole thing here, its a nice read

Seriously... I'm tired of seeing people say "Oh you can't compare X to X because *blank* has had more time in development."

People who are joining MMORPGs for the first time are going to pick the better MMO. They don't care which one is older or which one is new

Bioware must compete with the leading game in the industry even if that has had a 7+ years head start.

Bioware has to work over time to at-least be on par with that game which has had plenty of time to develop into the MMO that it is now

you cant give Bioware that excuse because new MMO players won't.

Just a shortened version of what i wanted to say... Too tired right now.

Um no. New players to MMOS are most likely to choose a mmo based on the Universe the game is set in and after that how long ago it launched.

No one is going to buy Wow and 3 expansions and spend the time it takes leveling up a new character unless they already know what they are getting themselves into.

Um no. New players to MMOS are most likely to choose a mmo based on the Universe the game is set in and after that how long ago it launched.

No one is going to buy Wow and 3 expansions and spend the time it takes leveling up a new character unless they already know what they are getting themselves into.

you missed a thread on this Forum... about a Guy that Brought this Game and ASSUMED it was some sort of Action/Adventure online game. paid for Online sub n everything

But Realised its an MMORPG lol

I think you are very wrong. Blizzard, apart from the lore and ready made stories from the previous single player games, did some very strong technical novelties. There were very little loading screens! You could travel across a whole continent without the need to load anything (this was the impression which is what matters to the players). This alone was already too good 7 years ago. Remember that Wow did not had the massive acceptance from classic. After the first expansion people started pouring in with tremendous rate.

We have to be fair. I am bored to wow at the moment but I've been playing for 7 years. You cannot disregard in any way how good this game is. I hope this one will last for several years and see something good. But communities are not built upon wow haters. Are built on Swtor fans. Not fanboys. FANS. Because they do a good job and people appreciate this job. Not because it is bioware!

MMOs did this before WoW. Any large scale instancing at all only really came into being around the time of AO by Funcom.

Well yes. Blizzard pulled millions of non-mmo gamers into the MMO market. I wouldn't be surprised if this game pulled a number of RPG players into the MMO market as well.

However the 'b.net kiddies' as you call them, are not mindless drones, they do make demands out of the games they play. If you've ever looked at the WoW forums it's not like the place is full of religious pro-Blizzard chanting.

I was just kidding, it's not like I wasn't a b.net kiddie.

Wow had just as many if not more problems/glitches etc at launch. It takes time for things to settle in, a few months and you'll see a lot of improvement here. It's like a senior quarterback vs a freshman quarterback, there IS a difference, doesn't mean one can't be as good as the other, just things need time to settle in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.