Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why does July Livestream fail to address a rather important question?

BorisKarloffe

As quoted/seen in this announcement of the Dark vs. Light event on the main page:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20160623

Plus, the outcome of everyone’s dark and light side decisions will determine the state of the galaxy as the future of Star Wars: The Old Republic evolves this fall. So be sure to check here to see which side is dominating and stay tuned for more details!

This is a consequence unlike any of the other events in the game. Why haven't we gotten more details? All that talk about other Dark vs. Light issues in the livestream, but nothing about THIS.

So...players need to participate in the event to have a say...in...????

Where do we check to see which side is dominating?

Will you at least ANNOUNCE when you'll announce details? We know Bioware loves to do that....or sometimes not at all.

oh i guess they forgot to add this to the wrap up, they said it in the stream that they will make a weekly/biweekly blog that will show how the balance is right now which side is winning.

and yea, players have to participate to have a say in it, since only the choices made with the event characters will matter for it.

oh i guess they forgot to add this to the wrap up, they said it in the stream that they will make a weekly/biweekly blog that will show how the balance is right now which side is winning.

and yea, players have to participate to have a say in it, since only the choices made with the event characters will matter for it.

But what is the "IT" that players have to participate to have a say in? "The state of the galaxy in the fall" is kinda vague, especially given their penchant to spin things after the fact when people point out the differences in what they said versus what they delivered.

But what is the "IT" that players have to participate to have a say in? "The state of the galaxy in the fall" is kinda vague, especially given their penchant to spin things after the fact when people point out the differences in what they said versus what they delivered.

All you have to do is participate in the LvD event. The choices made in that event are what they are tracking. There is no ambiguity.

***EDIT***

All the choices, once tallied, determine whether the players who earned a new companion will get the light or dark one. Only one will make it into the game. Everyone who earns the companion gets the same companion. That is determined by the overall population's choices. You don't have an individual say beyond your contribution to the tally.

Edited by AlienEyeTX

It's part of the reason I don't feel bad for my main alt in this event to be the dark side Warrior playthrough since I'm all for the Empire having the upper hand. What can I say, it's a much more interesting dynamic than the Republic... but I don't think either side should be left in an untenable decision based on one event, even were our older characters and their choices got counted.

All you have to do is participate in the LvD event. The choices made in that event are what they are tracking. There is no ambiguity.

***EDIT***

All the choices, once tallied, determine whether the players who earned a new companion will get the light or dark one. Only one will make it into the game. Everyone who earns the companion gets the same companion. That is determined by the overall population's choices. You don't have an individual say beyond your contribution to the tally.

You misunderstand him. They also state the dark and light choices will effect the galaxy state in the game. On the live stream, I spammed this very question, original poster. They commented on it. They said that they have "something planned" and "ideas" but that it might not actually make it in but they plan to really try. I'm surprised so many people missed that in the dialog. Many here seem to be under the (mistaken) impression that this is "Just" for a companion.

Edited by Rhyltran

I imagine any details of this could be major spoilers. The idea is really cool, it reminds me of the "world tendency" concept of Demon's Souls, where all online player's actions influence the shared worldstate. It would be interesting to see more of this in SWTOR.

You misunderstand him. They also state the dark and light choices will effect the galaxy state in the game. On the live stream, I spammed this very question, original poster. They commented on it. They said that they have "something planned" and "ideas" but that it might not actually make it in but they plan to really try. I'm surprised so many people missed that in the dialog. Many here seem to be under the (mistaken) impression that this is "Just" for a companion.

The issue is that not everyone watches the livestream. I didn't because it's on in the middle of the time my time and I'm too lazy to watch the link on Dulfy.net. You'll also note there's no mention of what you said in Eric's wrap-up. I only knew about it because I read Dulfy's summary, which is always, in my opinion, more detailed than Bioware's.

I imagine any details of this could be major spoilers. The idea is really cool, it reminds me of the "world tendency" concept of Demon's Souls, where all online player's actions influence the shared worldstate. It would be interesting to see more of this in SWTOR.

It definitely has potential. I hope they decide what it is they're going to implement (assuming their plan gets implemented) and let us know sooner rather than later.

As quoted/seen in this announcement of the Dark vs. Light event on the main page:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20160623

This is a consequence unlike any of the other events in the game. Why haven't we gotten more details? All that talk about other Dark vs. Light issues in the livestream, but nothing about THIS.

So...players need to participate in the event to have a say...in...????

Where do we check to see which side is dominating?

Will you at least ANNOUNCE when you'll announce details? We know Bioware loves to do that....or sometimes not at all.

Because there is no consequence. they haven't even thought far enough into the future to figure out how to get themslves out of the paper bag they locked themselves in.

Plus even if there is a consequence it won't mean anything long term at all. how could the ever do something that would cause so much change that the game itsself could not go on. its all BS. JUST BS.

Oh yeah. I remember that throw-away comment. All I heard when he said that was, "I wish we thought of that sooner. No."

Were it me and my choice (if I were working at BW) the outcome of the event would determine which side's (Imp/Pub) issues we deal with first. If LS dominates, then our Alliance will be dealing with whatever shenanigans Saresh is pulling. DS wins, then our Alliance is dealing with Darth Acina first.

I'd make a ton of different choices with KotFE if I were working for BW, obviously, but in the LvD context, that's what I'd do.

Edited by AngFour

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.