Balance of tactical flashpoints

Teral V bonus boss isn't too bad, just run out asap when he pulls you in. The aoe damage he does is deadly so usually i'll only try one time, maybe two if we allmost had him the first try.

It's the bonus boss in Foundry ? that's tough. (get theese FP's mixed up) That beast does a huge stomp that decimates peoples life and most people will be dead after the second stomp. Ofc. it doesn't help that this boss have no koltostations. I dont know if there's a way to avoid that damage, maybe if you jump when he stomps so you're in the air when he lands, but i dont think so. Basicly with 4 dps it's a matter of nuking hard and saying a prayer.

Pretty sure you meant the Maelstrom one, the Foundry bonus boss is the huge K'hor slug that just knocks back whoever has aggro and turns and spits acid at random group members that they need to get out of.

And no, jumping when he jumps doesn't work haha. That would be fun. I don't remember if things like Hold the Line and Hunker Down might work for that. I'm so used to those stopping so much damage in Ravagers and Temple of Sacrifice and yet not working on Bonethrasher in Karaggas palace, so it may help or it may not.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bonus boss in Taral V is the lord dude who 1-2 shots low level players with his force lightning. If you dont have a level 40+ group, preferably with a healer, that boss is virtually impossible, as there aren't enough kolto stations to survive his attacks.

Yup, GJ bioware for making great improved challenges for the players.

For the Taral V bonus boss you really need a healer with their AOE heal (that means 50+).

I recently ran T5 TFP with a guild group with a trinity configuration (tank, healer, 2dps). I was playing the healer. I have healed with every healing class and have been playing healers in games for a LONG time; not to sound immodest but I am a good MMO healer. However the healer I was playing in this T5 TFP did not have his AOE heal yet so trying to spam single target healing across four players proved impossible.

All that being said, the bonus bosses in FPs are designed to be a challenge and therefore I do not have a problem with the T5 bonus boss being that hard, nor the MP TFP bonus boss not having Kolto stations; IF you have a "proper" group you can do the bonus bosses in both FPs, if you don't just skip it.

MP has other problems: some say the second boss is too difficult, I disagree as all you have to do is hide and make sure you stay hidden through the laser eye phase. It's Kilran at the end that pisses me off; he bugs out and becomes "immune" to damage and he shoots through stuff.

Blood hunt TFP the husband and wife boss either move the kolto stations inward so there is less risk of being booted off while going for healing or decrease the knockback distance so that it will disrupt rotations but not kill (unless the group is truly stupid and fights off center).

I really miss the old fashioned, level and role dependent versions of the FPs. Why couldn't they have kept that and added the tactical versions as an option? I honestly find HMs easier and less frustrating. Plus the level cap makes me never want to queue for a FP ever again. Level 15 players really have no place playing with level 60s, and I say this having experienced it from both roles. I really do hope they do decide to change this in the future.

Yeah, i said that so many times already, thats was a terrible decision at Bioware to make all the flashpoints tacticals. Like someone said I would make the Bioware team go do Blood Hunt with 4 lvl 17 sentinels!

We're talking about pick up groups here, folks --- not premade guild Ops teams with voice chat and top gear. Just average players of varying experience that waited in a group finder queue to do a mission (sometimes random) to progress their character in some way. People shouldn't be wanting to quit --- they didn't used to (before 4.0). People shouldn't be staying away and queuing less because what used to be a 20-30 minute mission can turn into 3 times that because of wiping and quitting.

Story mode (flashpoints) are gone. HM offers a good challenge for traditional groups. Tacticals are supposed to be role-neutral and have been put in Story mode's place with the idea that more people would be grouped quicker. But as I stated earlier, Tacticals have become anti-group due to player frustration. This is not the desired outcome.

I agree that Blood Hunt's second boss is overtuned - and TBH I believe the issue is Maul, not the knockbacks and such.

With that said though, I've been doing quite a bit of tactical pugging since DvL started and reality is I've seen issues in nearly every tactical. So, leaving the abovementioned encounter aside, there is still a lot of struggling going on.

There are really only two ways to fix it.

1) Nerf the content further

2) Accept that there is a threshold of skill required for this content.

Personally, I cannot understand how (2) is in some way not the better choice.

As someone mentioned earlier, these fights are easy for people that understand how to play their character at a basic, fundamental level, and understand basic group concepts like threat. I personally do not think requiring a player to actually read his abilities and use them is in some way exclusionary.

This is group content. There is more than enough solo faceroll content in this game.

Just tried Manaan with low level commando. We had only one level 65 everyone else was around 20-25.

We tried Ortuno with companion but failed because player didn't set companion to passive during Flow.

We queued and got low level character as fourth. We tried again and failed. Two of players left including level 65. We requeued and got one level 65 and low level character. We tried one more time and failed. Group fell apart and I apologized: "sorry, I'm failure". Why? Because I was the lowest level there so failing was my fault.

Edited by Halinalle

Just tried Manaan with low level commando. We had only one level 65 everyone else was around 20-25.

We tried Ortuno with companion but failed because player didn't set companion to passive during Flow.

We queued and got low level character as fourth. We tried again and failed. Two of players left including level 65. We requeued and got one level 65 and low level character. We tried one more time and failed. Group fell apart and I apologized: "sorry, I'm failure". Why? Because I was the lowest level there so failing was my fault.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I wasn't there but it's not a reason for failure that you're low level. Why I'm saying this is that you knew what went wrong, basically the only thing that a group needs to deal with is Flow. You pointed out how to handle it. You're level can't be the reason. I refuse to admit that your group failed because you were low level.

As for the FP's not tuned quite right and a low level can end up in Manan, that's another a discussion.

The most common reasons i've seen for groups to fail ortuno are:

• People are running like chicken from kolto station to kolto station and the flow is spread all over the room, inevitably killing someone.
  • Someone is actually willing to tank him and place the flow properly but all the others in the group are tunelling the boss and don't use kolto stations to keep the "tank" alive.
  • The one trying to "tank" him is not moving away from the flow and gets stunned and killed.
  • When adds spawn people ignore them and keep tunelling the boss.
  • The "tank" gets the adds on top of the boss on him. While a real tank could do it, a dps can't really survive the damage of both the boss and 1/2 adds for more than a couple of seconds.

The most important thing people need to realize is that this is a normal trinity fight - you need tank, healer and damage dealers, so they just need to assign the roles - someone has to tank him, someone has to watch for the group health and use kolto stations at appropriate times and dps have to kill adds asap. When done that way the fight is trivial.

• People are running like chicken from kolto station to kolto station and the flow is spread all over the room, inevitably killing someone.
  • Someone is actually willing to tank him and place the flow properly but all the others in the group are tunelling the boss and don't use kolto stations to keep the "tank" alive.
  • The one trying to "tank" him is not moving away from the flow and gets stunned and killed.
  • The "tank" gets the adds on top of the boss on him. While a real tank could do it, a dps can't really survive the damage of both the boss and 1/2 adds for more than a couple of seconds.

The most important thing people need to realize is that this is a normal trinity fight - you need tank, healer and damage dealers, so they just need to assign the roles - someone has to tank him, someone has to watch for the group health and use kolto stations at appropriate times and dps have to kill adds asap. When done that way the fight is trivial.

That trininity comment is great and all, but if the group is composed of 4 squishy low level dps, that plan completely flies out the window. Whenever i do this boss i inevitably have aggro as a dps, and i kite him to each kolto station in a rotation, as whoever clicks the kolto is healed much more than anyone else in the group.

Edited by AndoEyrune

I disagree with this concept on most fights in general, but specifically on this one. The player with threat should be the one clicking the Koltos.

Healing from kolto stations cannot save any squishi class without enough defenses. First thing. e.g. sentinel level 24.

Second thing - on tactical the tank can run like a wild monkey, because the "lightning" phase creates small circles from water, they can be everywhere(though it's a bad habit for HM for obvious reasons).

I finished this FP on tactical few times when everyone was on 60+ level and they had most of the escape/defensive abilits, so we could survive at least something and could get to the kolto fast enough.

I dare to say this FP and Blood Hunt isn't intented for low level random parties and shouldn't be classic tactical rotation. If the GF manages to find a tank/healer, then give it a try, but 4 low level dps(usually melee) isn't exactly a great choice for this fight.

I actually remembered this reply last night during a Hammer Station tactical.

One terrible sniper can really make an otherwise easy run a nightmare.

I've had my share of wipes because of bad / undegeared players in Hammerstation, too.

Still - in my opinion it is the easiest FP there is, next to Esseles / Black Talon.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I've had my share of wipes because of bad / undegeared players in Hammerstation, too.

Still - in my opinion it is the easiest FP there is, next to Esseles / Black Talon.

All you need is one troll and it's nightmare. Mandalorian Raiders is probably the best example where troll can ruin the whole run easily. Unfortunately it's "cool" thing on Red Eclipse currently where I try to do event to get Legendary status.