Can anyone help me understand the rage?

Khevar

I mean, I have no interest in this event, so I'm not going to participate.

Particularly since I just finished re-running all 8 class stories (that being the only thing I found interesting enough to do, once I brought a couple toons through KotFE).

Anyway.

So after reading about the event. I'm like "meh". And I figure I'll do something else. Perhaps catch up on some books. Play other games. Maybe even go outside!

What's there to rage about? I mean, what if no event had been announced at all? What difference would that have made?

I ... just don't get it. So it's an event that consists solely of rehashed content. So??? That's all 4.0 has been since it launched, outside of KotFE chapters

Edited by Khevar

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Particularly since I just finished re-running all 8 class stories (that being the only thing I found interesting enough to do, once I brought a couple toons through KotFE).

Anyway.

So after reading about the event. I'm like "meh". And I figure I'll do something else. Perhaps catch up on some books. Play other games. Maybe even go outside!

What's there to rage about? I mean, what if no event had been announced at all? What difference would that have made?

I ... just don't get it. So it's an event that consists solely of rehashed content. So??? That's all 4.0 has been since it launched, outside of KotFE chapters

This isnt just a matter of rehashed content. This is a big SCREW YOU to the subs that have been here from the beginning, and achieved all of this dozens of times. Now being told, hey start it all over. It is a blatant gimme to the people that sub for a month, consume all content, then take off.

I mean how has that been working for BW. You cant tell me these people are more profitable then the people that regularly stay subbed from the beginning, purchases stuff from CM (which yeah now they are giving away for free btw).

the only positive I see to this, is that I am making a fortune selling character slots.

Because apparently "a video game company released a promotion that I don't find appealing" translates into a grievous personal insult for some people - a... "slap to the face," if you will.

That's not why...

It's because the game has pooped on every veteran player by:

- no new ops

- no new content

- dead servers and stupidly expensive x-fers

- no announced ranked rewards or even season starting and ending dates

INSTEAD of creating content and making rewards for players who have had 12 max characters with every datacron, every story, and (hey Musco) have been legacy level 50 for 3 years, they IGNORE the sub-paying player base and count on new players (that don't exist).

There are no new players.

They're using real life $ items as rewards that people have spent to much $ on just to trash the rarity of them even if they are going to be BoP = Less demand = Less people buying CM

To be fair to BW that is the ONLY good point to this event.

Most CM items are grossly overpriced, and that overpricing feeds through to the GTN.

All The Best

My feelings match yours -- I'm sincerely underwhelmed by the event but having trouble understanding the rage and personal affront many are feeling and the constant references to "slap in the face" and being "forced" to do something. As you said, adding this "event" in no way took anything away from the game and nothing in it is required.

I suspect that the people who are so genuinely angered are actually upset with other aspects of the game and the general direction of swtor lately and view this as sort of a "straw that broke the camel's back".

They're using real life $ items as rewards that people have spent to much $ on just to trash the rarity of them even if they are going to be BoP = Less demand = Less people buying CM

If they were offering brand new CM pack contents in the reward boxes, I would agree with you. But they are not... they are offering some of the old and highly popular super rare items... which is fine IMO, since they already are pushing those via Chance Cubes and have been for months.

CM pack buyers are looking for new items, not old items. So I doubt it will inhibit CM sales much if at all.

It might have an impact on some of the absurd prices some players want for these old super rare items, but since they are BoP, I doubt it will even affect the pricing on the GTN for the pack derived versions much if any at all.

Anyway.

IMO, some players are simply looking for any and every excuse to bash the studio and the game. They don't need much pretense either... seeing as this event does not take anything away from them, nor is it required in any way for game progression. So that pretty much leaves us with determined negative bashers and mashers... because they want desperately to control the direction of the game yet have no power to do so.

Edited by Andryah

Anyway.

It's like this:

If they're going to take the time and effort (and I do understand that it took plenty of both) to "develop" this "event," then they should consider how the community will react to it.

You would think they might even ask a few people's opinions of it first.

After all, it is OUR money that is paying for this. I feel like my money is not being used wisely. Do you?

Do you know what happens when people aren't happy with the way their money is being used? They use it elsewhere. I don't really want that to happen here. I like this game and want good things to happen. But the team at BW just seems soooo... disconnected from the community.

:t_frown:

This isnt just a matter of rehashed content. This is a big SCREW YOU to the subs that have been here from the beginning, and achieved all of this dozens of times. Now being told, hey start it all over. It is a blatant gimme to the people that sub for a month, consume all content, then take off.

I mean how has that been working for BW. You cant tell me these people are more profitable then the people that regularly stay subbed from the beginning, purchases stuff from CM (which yeah now they are giving away for free btw).

This about covers it.

That's not why...

- no new ops

- no new content

INSTEAD of creating content and making rewards for players who have had 12 max characters with every datacron, every story, and (hey Musco) have been legacy level 50 for 3 years, they IGNORE the sub-paying player base and count on new players (that don't exist).

In addition:

If you wanted to participate but already have max characters on a populated server, your options are punitive and limited.

I get that not every event is designed for me, but why did they make an event that punishes me for playing too much?

That's not why...

- no new ops

- no new content

This.

Its a bribe to rehash old content, which fine. But then they ignore if people have already completed it, this is because there is no new content coming till season 2. So in an effort to keep people subbed to a game with little added apart from some underwhelming Kofte chapters which are all exactly the same with no choices that matter and therefore very dull the second or third time through. So they treat the players like idiots, add some shiney rewards to repeating the content on new characters 8 times and people are rightly annoyed that is the light dark event. Nothing to enjoy on any of your veteran characters only available to newly created characters. Long term subscribers be damned.

All this is, is a speedrun of the game, im a sub and i enjoy this challenge, i have 28 full slots on ebon hawk, i deleted 2 lv 65's for this event because all you need is 2 open slots. the lv 50 checks off once it hits lv 50 then you can delete it, you don't need to do old story content for the first few levels. The challenge is the final level.

The rage is people being *****es about getting a challenge when they were asking for one, and now they get one and they don't want a challenge. Grow up, shut up, and either do it, do some of it, or don't touch it. It's not a mandatory event.

And so long as 500,000 subscribers enjoy it, and stay subbed the game will stay profitable, and right now there is way more then 500k subs.

That's not why...

- no new ops

- no new content

We are getting new content in four days, we got new content three weeks ago, we got new content four weeks before that, and four weeks before that, and four weeks before... etc, etc.

And server transfers cost half of what they cost in many of this game's main competitors, without even taking into account the extended sale they held on them before significantly slashing the standard price down to that new level.

Interesting if OP is actually a new player who has done the basic story leveling and has no interest in maxing out 8 classes while doing every single bit of content in the game.

Because

That is their target audience. Fascinating.

IMO, some players are simply looking for any and every excuse to bash the studio and the game. They don't need much pretense either... seeing as this event does not take anything away from them, nor is it required in any way for game progression. So that pretty much leaves us with determined negative bashers and mashers... because they want desperately to control the direction of the game yet have no power to do so.

Andryah, I wouldnt call myself a basher against the studio, generally I am in their corner. But this is just a crapfest event.

Real life $ rewards was a bad idea tbh

Except they aren't offering real life money rewards. They are offering random packs that include items that have appeared before in cartel market packs. But the items are BoP, so they will have no impact on GTN markets nor any impact on people who already have the items.

Your objection seems to be the idea that others shouldn't be able to get something in game that you or someone else paid cash to get. But how is that different from someone earning credits in game and buying that same item from the GTN?

In your opinion...

Am I a "basher"?

Do I look for "excuses" to attack Bioware?

Do I slam them no matter what they do?

I suppose.

But suppose they had don't no event at all.

What would players have done instead of this event?

Why don't they just do that instead?

Except they aren't offering real life money rewards. They are offering random packs that include items that have appeared before in cartel market packs. But the items are BoP, so they will have no impact on GTN markets nor any impact on people who already have the items.

Your objection seems to be the idea that others shouldn't be able to get something in game that you or someone else paid cash to get. But how is that different from someone earning credits in game and buying that same item from the GTN?

Actually, yes it does affect the market, because what you so conveniently left out, was that they can then open it in collections. So it it exponentially affecting its market value for future purchase.

I suppose.

But suppose they had don't no event at all.

What would players have done instead of this event?

Why don't they just do that instead?

So I guess the same thing can be said about all the people QQing about companio s being behind pvp walls. I mean they dont have to do it, so it doesnt affect them right?

I have no interest either, and shall not participate. But I understand the rage. I'm not saying I agree with the rage ... but I understand its sources.

1. Frustration over no new <insert your favorite type> content. We're now told that the fun, cool way to spend our summer is to repeat old content. Of course, being told to rehash old content is ... well ... old hat in MMOs. But this event serves as a stark reminder to those who long for new imaginary stuff to do.

2. Frustration over adding new rewards for content veteran players have already achieved. When I graduated high school, my parents gave me a hug. When my younger brother graduated high school several years later, they gave him a car. This event is like telling me all I have to do is repeat high school and they'll give me a car too. Some players are happy to repeat for the swag, but other players aren't. Some players feel that they deserve to be rewarded at current rates of swag for past accomplishments.

3. Frustration over potential devaluing of real money purchases. I've seen people post that some of the rewards available via gameplay in this event were previously acquired using CCs. Making those items "free" to players now allegedly devalues one's investment of real cash spent on CCs to buy the items on the CM. Players tend to bristle when someone makes their CC expenditure moot.

4. Frustration over the developers being goof-head-stinky-pants-churls. Some players will simply crucify the developers for deciding to part their hair in the right rather than the left.

TLDR: Frustration over perceived injustices.

In your opinion...

Am I a "basher"?

Do I look for "excuses" to attack Bioware?

Do I slam them no matter what they do?

yes sometimes .. yes sometimes .. and no.

If you don't get what you personally want.. yes.. IMO, you are guite happy and energetic about getting on the bashing bandwagon. You do sometimes however realize a bit later that you over-reacted and come back to a more meaningful perspective, IMO.

IF doing this event was mandatory in preparation for 5.0, I could maybe see some justification for some of the complaints. But it's not. You could completely ignore this event and be right where you are today.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.