Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

That's the point, these 'packs' aren't from the Cartel Market; they're rewards for largely solo questing, which wouldn't be a bad thing if they'd leave our cash shop items out of it. It all depends on the drop chances and restrictions on these rare items I guess, but making a cash shop for exclusive items and then turning around and handing them out like candy is unacceptable.

How would you feel if you went out and bought an expensive Porsche very few people can afford, and then the next day the dealership announces a huge giveaway of a million of them to anyone who completes a simple list of tasks? Not one person who bought one before then wouldn't feel jipped, either out of the money because they found out they didn't have to pay it had they just waited, or of the exclusivity because now everyone has one. It's exactly the same thing here.

Most games keep their cash shops and main game rewards separate because they respect their paying customers. Until now, SWTOR was the same way. Guess it's back to WoW where Blizzard knows and respects the difference between the two.

You can think of using cash as one possible option for obtaining the items. Also, then can be obtained by credits, as long as someone else spent cash on the item to begin with. Or you could use your monthly stipend to buy packs, which then costs you nothing extra. Or... don't they give some CCs as rewards for certain achievements?

I don't mind them putting CM items as rewards for in-game content. Actually, I think I very much approve of that. I mean, they could have the decency to offer new rewards. But, they chose to give people the "chance" to obtain these high-demand items. I don't think we're suddenly going to see a lot of people with cargo holds full of all these armors.

Of course, that is not even to get back into the discussion of why the event is ill-advised and poorly-planned in the first place!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can think of using cash as one possible option for obtaining the items. Also, then can be obtained by credits, as long as someone else spent cash on the item to begin with. Or you could use your monthly stipend to buy packs, which then costs you nothing extra. Or... don't they give some CCs as rewards for certain achievements?

I don't mind them putting CM items as rewards for in-game content. Actually, I think I very much approve of that. I mean, they could have the decency to offer new rewards. But, they chose to give people the "chance" to obtain these high-demand items. I don't think we're suddenly going to see a lot of people with cargo holds full of all these armors.

Of course, that is not even to get back into the discussion of why the event is ill-advised and poorly-planned in the first place!

Precisely all subscribers, and those with security keys can buy packs (they get 500 CC for being a sub, 100 for security key) that's three packs for free for the same chance as anyone else without wasting additional money.

But these aren't event exclusive items, they are items that have been available for 1+ years. To even call them exclusive to this event just shows how blanetly stupid this event was put together to put items that have been around for years plus recent pack items in these packs as possible drop items is NO different then buying a pack on the CM and having the same damn results. You get a possiblity of Upper, Lower, and Supplementary or the other items listed or not listed (as it does say "And More!"). You do NOT get a full armor set in the drop from my understanding, you get one of the three boxes and that's it it. So say you get 5 packs and you don't get all the parts to the armor set, just one, I'm not even saying it has to be an armor set you want, then you get the 10 pack and you don't get anymore of the parts. Or say you get the same drop everytime, highly unlikely but a good possibity.

So you are saying that's okay? Ha! I laugh at thee. :p

Also I find it insulting that you have the audacity to not even look at what I'd do with the Revan Reborn Armor Set if I got it again and who I'd give it to. Are you that heartless? I can't do something nice for my bf if the chance that I could arised. Sheesh this game is mesed up...

I have to agree it's utterly stupid that these packs may not contain anything for people if the RNG gods aren't with them - the event SHOULD offer good rewards, and I'd hate for anyone to think I'm arguing otherwise - but leave cash shop items out of it. These restrictions that make the packs nearly worthless are preferable only to offering out CM items wholesale, but that doesn't mean it's a good solution - just offer new, exclusive rewards for the event. By tearing down that barrier between CM and quested rewards they cheapen anything and everything they will ever offer on the CM again.

No, it wasn't lost on me what you'd do with it, and I can respect that a lot more than turning around and selling it on the GTN. I'd be totally for unbound, exclusive, NEW rewards being offered. For me, it comes down to restricting access to cash shop items to cash shop customers and leaving that wall between the two intact. To that end, nothing is too restrictive on those items offered outside of the CM. That doesn't mean I'm happy about the solution.

He's asking if you are getting paid to speak glowingly of the event. The grammar/syntax of the sentance was odd, but that's the gist.

Ahhh....well wish rofl. I'm poor as all get out both ingame and real life lol. And no not just speaking glowingly about this "event", there are many things wrong with this "event". But some of them I have found ways around them. I see a problem or a obstacle and I try to find a way to overcome it. It is stupid? Yes. Is it flawed? Yep. Does it have achievements? Yep, and that's my weakness :D

P.S. Thanks for the clarification :D

I'm seeing people that are saying the list is a great list and then saying though they have no interest in completing it cause that is too much work. If you who like the idea aren't going to do it who the hell do you think it is appealing to.

Ha! This ^^^^

How am I talking on your behalf?

I called this event a travesty, I didn't say because you were defending it, that made it a travesty, that they call a list of old content an event is why I think its a travesty. Perhaps you can explain what there is to defend without simply having a go a people for imagined slights of talking for you.

I will make it clear though in case you unsure 'I am not speaking for TyonYlle I have no idea what his views are in relation to this event and do not in any way wish to suggest that my thinking this event is a travesty is speaking for him. Nor do I wish to suggest that his participation in this event should be required for him to defend it. Nor would I like him to feel that I am ever speaking for him or anyone else. That any posts that I may proffer possible reasons is just that possible reasons in order to articulate certain points of view to then allow a rebuttal of them'

So hopefully now you can explain how a list of old achievements which when complete are rewarded by some random goodies from the cartel market and xp boasting armor is a good event. What you think are the high points of the event and what you think the devs could improve, maybe what you think this event brings to existing players and how it may help fill a gap in the game. Maybe you can explain if its purely reward driven behavior and all about the shinnies. Maybe how it effects players who were around in 1.2 legacy patch in which everyone was encouraged to create alts to explore the game stories some four years and did so.

But please be under no mistake I am not looking for skirting this issue with indignation over me speaking for people or that if I don't like the event I must be a cry baby or winger or hater. I am genuinely interested in finding out what people that defend this 'event' find so amazing about it and are willing to defend it despite it appearing that the development team are not putting in a fraction of the effort to defend this 'event.'

I don't find it amazing nor defending it. Its stupid and flawed in many ways, one of which are the rewards (Those stinking boxes). But like I said....they said the one weakness for me, achievements. So that's the only reason for me to do it. I mean if I'm stupid enough already to run Tython and Korriban 50 times each on HM, and Mokan 25 times in less then 3 days, .....well that's speaks for its self :D

That is when I shake me head on that and wonder what universe they are in and I really like to see how the next stream is going to go.

Whats sad is its going to be way to much fun to watch a alternate reality going on at the same time as ours! :D

You shouldn't. Each tier is separate, so you can do any tier from any order, but I highly doubt it'll be easy - aka like doing Champion before Valiant. They're just giving us six chances(tiers) to get packs/rewards during this event. I know for sure some people, such as myself, are going for all six.

Can't do higher tiers till the previous tier is completed.

Oh yeah the live stream will say how the forum has been a buzz with anticipation of the event and how we are all looking for to it.

While Charles can say how this event is the best yet, with indepth story and how choices really matter!

Well its abuzz with something that's for sure.....:D

For D/L achievements aren't retroactive. Only achievements completed with characters made after 4.6 goes live count towards getting the D/L rewards. Does something done with a D/L character count towards the non-D/L achievement?

For example, a player ran the Mandolorian Raiders TFP 8 times before 4.6. Then creates a D/L character and does the Mando TFP once on that toon. That one time on the D/L character counts towards the Champion tier (if all criteria for the tier is met), but will that player also advance their non-D/L Mando TFP count by one, to 9?

Yes. :D

I'm wondering since achieves on non-D/L characters are locked out. Will it work the other way around, too? Hopefully some questions will be answered by Devs. It's near the end of the third work day since posting info about D/L, and there's been nothing from the Devs on D/L except a few posts from Eric Musco on June 23.

If this thread gets unstickied without a Dev response, well, that's an answer in itself.

It will. It just the new ones being added that can not be progressed with previous characters. Just like when you go to Oricon to get the 50 kills, those 50 kills will count for the overall total. (that is you don't have it yet.)

I really have no sympathy for that. "Paid real money for a chance to acquire."? This so called "event" is giving the same chance as any other pack on the Cartel Market so it should be treated no different.

Let me put it to you like this: I already have the Revan Reborn Armor Set. I unlocked it to my account. If I got the entire set again because of this event I'd rather give it to my bf who wants it then destroy it.

^^^ Ditto. I wouldn't sell until I went through all my friends to see if they needed anything. Sadly a friend just spent like 94 million on a set they have been after. Had I got it, I would have gladly given it to them, no cost but for 1 cred :D:p:D

That's the point, these 'packs' aren't from the Cartel Market; they're rewards for largely solo questing, which wouldn't be a bad thing if they'd leave our cash shop items out of it. It all depends on the drop chances and restrictions on these rare items I guess, but making a cash shop for exclusive items and then turning around and handing them out like candy is unacceptable.

How would you feel if you went out and bought an expensive Porsche very few people can afford, and then the next day the dealership announces a huge giveaway of a million of them to anyone who completes a simple list of tasks? Not one person who bought one before then wouldn't feel jipped, either out of the money because they found out they didn't have to pay it had they just waited, or of the exclusivity because now everyone has one. It's exactly the same thing here.

Most games keep their cash shops and main game rewards separate because they respect their paying customers. Until now, SWTOR was the same way. Guess it's back to WoW where Blizzard knows and respects the difference between the two.

For a Porsche I wouldn't care. But for a Charger or Mini Cooper? Sure! :D

But these aren't event exclusive items, they are items that have been available for 1+ years. To even call them exclusive to this event just shows how blanetly stupid this event was put together to put items that have been around for years plus recent pack items in these packs as possible drop items is NO different then buying a pack on the CM and having the same damn results. You get a possiblity of Upper, Lower, and Supplementary or the other items listed or not listed (as it does say "And More!"). You do NOT get a full armor set in the drop from my understanding, you get one of the three boxes and that's it it. So say you get 5 packs and you don't get all the parts to the armor set, just one, I'm not even saying it has to be an armor set you want, then you get the 10 pack and you don't get anymore of the parts. Or say you get the same drop everytime, highly unlikely but a good possibity.

So you are saying that's okay? Ha! I laugh at thee. :p

Also I find it insulting that you have the audacity to not even look at what I'd do with the Revan Reborn Armor Set if I got it again and who I'd give it to. Are you that heartless? I can't do something nice for my bf if the chance that I could arised. Sheesh this game is mesed up...

Yes the game is messed up.....but the people are sometimes worse.

The stream is twitch right? Do you have to have a account to type? Because its going to be fun asking questions :D Though will skip if need a account.

yes you do need an account to type but it is very easy to get. Al you have to do is give email and do a password. Doesn't cost anything.

• Dev Post

Hey All,

There are a lot of forum posts and conversations happening around the Dark vs Light Event. We are paying attention and following what all of you are saying. Our plan is to share our thoughts on the Event during the Live Stream on Thursday (https://www.twitch.tv/swtor). That doesn't mean that changes are or aren't coming but we will talk through some of the main topics then. See you on Thursday!

Ben