Can HM flashpoints and SM operations be completed in advanced PVP gear (208's)?

So, I'm not too familiar with PVE/raiding in this game, as I am primarily a PVPer. I was just wondering if hard mode flashpoints and story mode operations can be completed in advanced PVP gear (208's), or do I need PVE gear? If I do need PVE gear, can someone point me towards a guide that explains how I should be gearing up?

If it makes any difference, I will be primarily focusing on tanking, specifically tanking with a vanguard.

You're bolstered in SM ops and HM FP so as long as you have gear, you're fine. 208 pvp gear is even better than comms pve gear since it has a set bonus.

If you plan on tanking though, just make sure you have defense mods and shield/absorption enhancements and augments instead of power and you'll be fine. You'll probably find people complaining you have pvp gear, but those person don't really know how the game works so politely explain to them that you are bolstered and it doesn't make any difference.

What people above said. You virtually need no gear for all SM ops, and will only encounter troubles in very few select HM FPs (like Blood Hunt and Lost Island).

HM ops is where pvp gear becomes not very viable, besides EV. DPS tend to use significantly less (or none at all) accuracy in pvp which gimps performance in pve, tanks are using dps mods/enhancements/augs (at least all tanks I know) which is not viable on all bosses.

There are healers, though. No single HM fight that can't be healed in 208 and, frankly, many of NiMs aren't different.

Haven't seen any people complain about pvp gear or lack of gear in hm flashpoints or sm ops tbh. I mean, level 50+ players can participate in those so it would be quite illogical to complain about gear when you can be grouped with players that don't even have the level for it.

Most times in HM flashpoints people premake their group i know thats what i do when im doing my 3 weekly HM's via group finder. But ya having 208 pvp gear with augments is ok to use for SM operations because most of the time lv 65's will have a baseline of 208 gear so you should be ok with it. HM Flashpoints are a tossup depending on which one it is, certain ones you can get away with it while others are a nightmare.

Haven't seen any people complain about pvp gear or lack of gear in hm flashpoints or sm ops tbh. I mean, level 50+ players can participate in those so it would be quite illogical to complain about gear when you can be grouped with players that don't even have the level for it.

OK. It used to be something people would complain about, being kicked or at least getting a hard time, back when "Tactical Flashpoint" meant KDY and only KDY. They'd show up for a story mode FP in fully augmented 208 PvP gear and get kicked or hassled "oh god we're going to have to carry a PvP scrub", then (you find these on the "Weird people you meet in Group Finder" thread) proceed to dominate the proceedings because these people complaining about having to carry the PvP scrub were actually very bad at playing.

People were undermanning EV and KP HM with 192s and 198s, so most definitely yes.

Yeah but in all fairness, those are people that actually know their rotations and can still meet dps numbers. Not everyone can do that, even in HM EV or KP. So generally, I would say it is not a good idea to recommend to the masses.

OK. It used to be something people would complain about, being kicked or at least getting a hard time, back when "Tactical Flashpoint" meant KDY and only KDY. They'd show up for a story mode FP in fully augmented 208 PvP gear and get kicked or hassled "oh god we're going to have to carry a PvP scrub", then (you find these on the "Weird people you meet in Group Finder" thread) proceed to dominate the proceedings because these people complaining about having to carry the PvP scrub were actually very bad at playing.

Yeah they are just being jerks. I have seen people run HM DF, DP, and even ToS in pvp gear and put up some major numbers. It is all your skill level, and knowledge of the OP. It is a little more of a risk in a PuG setting, because another person in the same PVP gear may just suck.

There are two HMFPs where you WILL struggle with that level of gear and no knowledge of the FP:

• Lost Island
  • Blood Hunt

Lost Island is doable with good instruction both giving and obeying.

Blood Hunt (even post nerf) groups struggle to defeat even the first boss and so being in PvP gear you will probably be blamed and/or kicked.

Yeah but in all fairness, those are people that actually know their rotations and can still meet dps numbers. Not everyone can do that, even in HM EV or KP. So generally, I would say it is not a good idea to recommend to the masses.

The thing is, the website www.dulfy.net has guides that give the optimal rotation for each class/discipline. On top of that, there are several DPS disciplines that have easy rotations, which are really more of a easy-to-remember priority system rather than a rotation per se (e.g., gunnery commando and tactics vanguard fall under this category). Are you saying that even in spite of websites like www.dulfy.net, there are still a lot of players doing HM content that don't know the rotation for their class?

Edited by Volxen

Are you saying that even in spite of websites like www.dulfy.net, there are still a lot of players doing HM content that don't know the rotation for their class?

Absolutely yes.

Many players do not research the web to play a game. And one should not HAVE to do so either. That being said, someone who wants to be reasonably "optimal" can figure it out on their own with a little effort (i.e. personally I go to dulfy only to confirm what I already know just from playing a given class/spec ;)). The problem is those who do not care and inflict their uncaring on groups.

There are two HMFPs where you WILL struggle with that level of gear and no knowledge of the FP:

• Lost Island
  • Blood Hunt

Lost Island is doable with good instruction both giving and obeying.

Blood Hunt (even post nerf) groups struggle to defeat even the first boss and so being in PvP gear you will probably be blamed and/or kicked.

Hmm cant say, i got a pop for Blood Hunt as dps with my full 224 Sentinel and even though the group wanted to quit the fps right at the start i convinced them to stay and we oneshoted all bosses. But for last boss the other dps had to replace the healer and they spapped.

I also got into Lost Island HM on 2nd boss with my full 224 VG. We then oneshotted all bosses including bonus boss. So dont see any issues there xD

Hmm cant say, i got a pop for Blood Hunt as dps with my full 224 Sentinel and even though the group wanted to quit the fps right at the start i convinced them to stay and we oneshoted all bosses. But for last boss the other dps had to replace the healer and they spapped.

I also got into Lost Island HM on 2nd boss with my full 224 VG. We then oneshotted all bosses including bonus boss. So dont see any issues there xD

I have to say that the key here is that you are in full 224 gear for both of your characters. So you obviously know how to play your characters at a more advanced level then the people going though these FPs. You take the time and really learn your characters and run them through OPS and everything else. Not everyone does that to the same level as you may. I have not done either of those FP's in I don't know how long but I am sure that I would have no problems either with my full 224 balance sage, but I would probably have issues with my scoundrel healer who is in cast off gear with an average rating of about 208ish maybe. Not saying that I wouldnt be able to do it but it would take a better equipped group to make it a forsure thing.

The thing is, the website www.dulfy.net has guides that give the optimal rotation for each class/discipline. On top of that, there are several DPS disciplines that have easy rotations, which are really more of a easy-to-remember priority system rather than a rotation per se (e.g., gunnery commando and tactics vanguard fall under this category). Are you saying that even in spite of websites like www.dulfy.net, there are still a lot of players doing HM content that don't know the rotation for their class?

Yes....that is EXACTLY what I am saying. And if you recommend Dulfy to some people to learn their rotations, they scream dont tell me how to play.

I have learned never to underestimate the laziness to learn from any player.

I have to say that the key here is that you are in full 224 gear for both of your characters. So you obviously know how to play your characters at a more advanced level then the people going though these FPs. You take the time and really learn your characters and run them through OPS and everything else. Not everyone does that to the same level as you may. I have not done either of those FP's in I don't know how long but I am sure that I would have no problems either with my full 224 balance sage, but I would probably have issues with my scoundrel healer who is in cast off gear with an average rating of about 208ish maybe. Not saying that I wouldnt be able to do it but it would take a better equipped group to make it a forsure thing.

Yes its true that i know my way around in the game, but having 224 gear, even full 224 isnt a guarantee that the person is really good. Since how easy it is to get 224 gear after 4.0 most people probably run around in full 224 on more alts.

Anyway, i would normaly say gear doesnt make a difference cause its about the skill and how you handle the class you play, but i have to admit i was reliefed in last nights HM fps. I was healing and the 2 dps and tank were mostly 220/224 geared. It was Koriban incursion and i have to say i was mostly dpsing. The tank was barely taking damage and there was really nothing to heal. I suppose his higher gear lvl provided greated stats and mitigation so yes, in that case gear helped, i suppose.

Honestly, given that HM FPs will group a high-level, balanced trinity together, instead of four DPS clowns who can't even find a kolto station, then they tend to usually be easier than the regular tactical FPs.

If you're 208 pvp set is properly augmented, then yeah, your should be able to cakewalk through most of them.