The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mandalorians

Hey guys I was just doing some research on Mandalorians because from everything I've seen in Star Wars related to them are just awesome, playing KOTOR and etc. However, the more I looked into them the more I'm kind of confused and disappointed at the same time. According to most of the lore I've seen they are very brutal, merciless and constantly commit war crimes. When I see them in SWTOR they seem to be a noble warrior culture that value honor and challenge but then looking at stories they mass murder and even commit genocide. Someone please tell me it's lies...it's breaking my heart, they went down a path I can't follow :rak_01: anyway... I'm just confused because their codes and values are noble but then reading all the bad stuff it doesn't add up to me. Edited by Olliekarminas

Hey guys I was just doing some research on Mandalorians because from everything I've seen in Star Wars related to them are just awesome, playing KOTOR and etc. However, the more I looked into them the more I'm kind of confused and disappointed at the same time. According to most of the lore I've seen they are very brutal, merciless and constantly commit war crimes. When I see them in SWTOR they seem to be a noble warrior culture that value honor and challenge but then looking at stories they mass murder and even commit genocide. Someone please tell me it's lies...it's breaking my heart, they went down a path I can't follow :rak_01: anyway... I'm just confused because their codes and values are noble but then reading all the bad stuff it doesn't add up to me.

It all depends on the times. During the Mandalorian wars yeah they were far more brutal their "neo-crusader" days. Their culture is a war like culture. They are a lot like say vikings.

It all depends on the times. During the Mandalorian wars yeah they were far more brutal their "neo-crusader" days. Their culture is a war like culture. They are a lot like say vikings.

Exactly and the vikings where brutal very brutal and honor well honor is a word not something that exists. If you look closely you will see it means nothing. For example during the viking invasion of England where they lost against the last of the kingdoms they where invited by a king with the white flag and all who tried to convert them to Christianity what did they do well they stormed the castle of the king killed him and began ****** and plundering. Where is the honor in that?

Where is the honor in Mandalorians killing most of the Cathars for no reason. They where brutal and did terrible things they had no honor not even now they just like to fight and plunder that is all anything else is superficial at best.

Exactly and the vikings where brutal very brutal and honor well honor is a word not something that exists. If you look closely you will see it means nothing. For example during the viking invasion of England where they lost against the last of the kingdoms they where invited by a king with the white flag and all who tried to convert them to Christianity what did they do well they stormed the castle of the king killed him and began ****** and plundering. Where is the honor in that?

Where is the honor in Mandalorians killing most of the Cathars for no reason. They where brutal and did terrible things they had no honor not even now they just like to fight and plunder that is all anything else is superficial at best.

They did that to Cathar to try and force the Republic to come out and fight. Granted they find honor in a straight up fight, but they are not above doing low dirty tricks to force an enemy to fight them head on.

Mandalorian Culture, at least at the time of the movies, is a little screwed up due to the TV show Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

If you go by TCW's definition, they are either sociopathic Terrorists (Deathwatch) or Pacifists.

If you go by the Republic Commando series' definition (Which is much better, I think), they have an entire culture based on honor and combat.

Notable places to learn more about the "True" Mandalorians:

1) Republic Commando (Both the novel series by Karen Traviss, and the Video Game. The Video Game's soundtrack has Mando'a Lyrics, Mando'a being the Mandalorian's language) NOTE: The Novel series was, and will never be, completed due to the before-mentioned SW:TCW completely steamrolling the lore. But the 5 books that are in the series are a very good read.

2) KOTOR and KOTOR 2. Both talk a lot about the Mandalorian Wars, and Mandalorian culture, mainly though Canderous Ordo.

3) Boba Fett: A Practical Man. A short story by Traviss that takes place shortly before the beginning of the New Jedi Order series.

4) Every third book in the Legacy of the Force series. They where written by Traviss, and she put in a lot of references to her other Star Wars books, like all the authors did.

Mandalorian Culture, at least at the time of the movies, is a little screwed up due to the TV show Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

If you go by TCW's definition, they are either sociopathic Terrorists (Deathwatch) or Pacifists.

If you go by the Republic Commando series' definition (Which is much better, I think), they have an entire culture based on honor and combat.

1) Republic Commando (Both the novel series by Karen Traviss, and the Video Game. The Video Game's soundtrack has Mando'a Lyrics, Mando'a being the Mandalorian's language) NOTE: The Novel series was, and will never be, completed due to the before-mentioned SW:TCW completely steamrolling the lore. But the 5 books that are in the series are a very good read.

2) KOTOR and KOTOR 2. Both talk a lot about the Mandalorian Wars, and Mandalorian culture, mainly though Canderous Ordo.

3) Boba Fett: A Practical Man. A short story by Traviss that takes place shortly before the beginning of the New Jedi Order series.

4) Every third book in the Legacy of the Force series. They where written by Traviss, and she put in a lot of references to her other Star Wars books, like all the authors did.

Yeah I remember Republic Commando, I still sometimes listen to the songs from that on youtube. That's the kind of Mandalorian I like. The culture based on family and honor not the merciless pillager type. Honor and mass murder don't work well together.

Yeah I remember Republic Commando, I still sometimes listen to the songs from that on youtube. That's the kind of Mandalorian I like. The culture based on family and honor not the merciless pillager type. Honor and mass murder don't work well together.

Ya, Traviss wrote extensively on Mandalorians. She even created an English-Mando'a dictionary that you can use to look up words in Mando'a. Link

I wanna add something Mandalorians are not that great they lost every time against the republic every single time. Hell once they lost against a fleet of smugglers. According to Arcann until the Outlander helped them they lost every assault. Now my question is are they not losers that just lose with style but in the end still losers?

I wanna add something Mandalorians are not that great they lost every time against the republic every single time. Hell once they lost against a fleet of smugglers. According to Arcann until the Outlander helped them they lost every assault. Now my question is are they not losers that just lose with style but in the end still losers?

I've always thought of them like Vikings. Individually they are strong warriors,but tactics and coordination is not their strong suit. Picture a force of mighty warriors all fighting as individuals facing off against the well oiled tactical skill of the Roman phalanx. one on one the Viking would win, but the phalanx had strength in tactics that broke the individuals down. Mandos are too glory hungry to fight as a strong cohesive unit.

Hey guys I was just doing some research on Mandalorians because from everything I've seen in Star Wars related to them are just awesome, playing KOTOR and etc. However, the more I looked into them the more I'm kind of confused and disappointed at the same time. According to most of the lore I've seen they are very brutal, merciless and constantly commit war crimes. When I see them in SWTOR they seem to be a noble warrior culture that value honor and challenge but then looking at stories they mass murder and even commit genocide. Someone please tell me it's lies...it's breaking my heart, they went down a path I can't follow :rak_01: anyway... I'm just confused because their codes and values are noble but then reading all the bad stuff it doesn't add up to me.

All "noble" warrior castes are like that. Samurais, vikings, crusaders, mujahidins, jihadists... All have fancy codes, but were essentially peasants killling warmongers.

Rebels ! In Rebels, they are back to pre-Pacifists period.

I've always thought of them like Vikings. Individually they are strong warriors,but tactics and coordination is not their strong suit. Picture a force of mighty warriors all fighting as individuals facing off against the well oiled tactical skill of the Roman phalanx. one on one the Viking would win, but the phalanx had strength in tactics that broke the individuals down. Mandos are too glory hungry to fight as a strong cohesive unit.

Well yeah true but vikings where good tacticians also but they did suffered huge defeats and did not really expanded a lot. In France they where defeated in the second assault of Paris in Germany there where also defeated by a coalition of german lords in England or the area that will later become England they where defeated by the last of the saxon kingdoms that stood. In Scotland they where defeated by the a Scottish king. In Ireland they where defeated by a rebellion from the biggest and strongest city they created. I guess I could say they succeeded in Russia but they got assimilated quite fast.

That will happens to mandos also their not that many in number so they can not sustain a empire or something like that because their numbers are few.