why not add turnings to all weapons?

I don't understand why they have to be so selective on which weapons have a turning slot. They added dye models to literally every armor shell in the game. Why can't they do the exact same thing with weapons. If you can add a dye model slot to every armor shell then there is no reason why you can't add a turning slot to literally every weapon in the game. Why does it have to be limited? Edited by watermelonfan

I don't understand why they have to be so selective on which weapons have a turning slot. They added dye models to literally every armor shell in the game. Why can't they do the exact same thing with weapons. If you can add a dye model slot to every armor shell then there is no reason why you can't add a turning slot to literally every weapon in the game. Why does it have to be limited?

From the way they've talked, it sounds like they have to manually add the tuning slot to each weapon. Possibly, they also have to check that the tuning animation works correctly for each slot they add to a weapon. You will notice that you can't preview a tuning on a weapon that doesn't already have a slot.

That is mainly conjecture based on what they have posted, though. They did say they plan to expand the list of weapons significantly. They even told people to suggest which weapons they want slots added to next.

I don't understand why they have to be so selective on which weapons have a turning slot. They added dye models to literally every armor shell in the game. Why can't they do the exact same thing with weapons. If you can add a dye model slot to every armor shell then there is no reason why you can't add a turning slot to literally every weapon in the game. Why does it have to be limited?

Here is the Suggestion thread asking people to make Suggestions on what weapons they want weapons tuning on over in the Suggestion Box section. If there is a specific weapon that you want, suggest it there. Like the other person said it may that it has to be done manually each weapon to make sure it works good.

From the way they've talked, it sounds like they have to manually add the tuning slot to each weapon. Possibly, they also have to check that the tuning animation works correctly for each slot they add to a weapon. You will notice that you can't preview a tuning on a weapon that doesn't already have a slot.

That is mainly conjecture based on what they have posted, though. They did say they plan to expand the list of weapons significantly. They even told people to suggest which weapons they want slots added to next.

well yeah because it doesn't have a slot. If it had a slot then you could. I still don't understand how its possible to add dye slots to every armor shell but not possible to add a turning slot to every weapon.

Why wouldn't it work with every weapon? every weapon works the same except for the appearance of the weapon. So how would the appearance of the weapon effect the turning animation? especially with lightsabers. Lightsabers are just a long stick. They all look the same except for the hilt part. So how would the animation not work with every lightsaber?

Edited by watermelonfan

iirc, dyes were not added to all the armours they currently are on all at once. They kept adding new ones over a couple updates.

I suspect all orange and purple (maybe blue as well) will get tuning slots eventually, but it just takes time to work on all of them.

Assuming they can just run a script and voila, everything has a tuning slot is a very bad assumption.

Be patient, add your requests to the suggestion forum thread.

iirc, dyes were not added to all the armours they currently are on all at once. They kept adding new ones over a couple updates.

I suspect all orange and purple (maybe blue as well) will get tuning slots eventually, but it just takes time to work on all of them.

Assuming they can just run a script and voila, everything has a tuning slot is a very bad assumption.

Be patient, add your requests to the suggestion forum thread.

I don't expect it to happen overnight. I was just asking because they make it sound like it can't be done. It didn't take that long to add dye slots to all armor slots. The vast majority of them already had a dye slot when it was first introduced. There was only a minority of shells that did not have a dye slot at first. That's why I am wondering why the weapons with turning slots is so limited. The dye slots was never anywhere close to this limited when it was first introduced.

Edited by watermelonfan

I still don't understand how its possible to add dye slots to every armor shell but not possible to add a turning slot to every weapon.

As mentioned I imagine they need to create a set of data points based on the dimensions of each weapon. I suspect if they do one, any reskins would be covered as well. The issue of dimensions doesn't exist for dye. The items are already colored, they simply require a value change in a field or two.

I still don't understand how its possible to add dye slots to every armor shell but not possible to add a turning slot to every weapon.

Every item of clothing already has a primary colour and a secondary colour (as well as tertiary and more for the fancier stuff). That's how they made different colour versions of the same stuff. Making an overarching change to replace the original primary & secondary colours with those from a dye module would be relatively straightforward. It's simply replacing what is already there. It's not foolproof of course as can be seen it cut scenes.

Weapons are different shapes and sizes, and they are adding another physical component to it, not simply changing what is already there. They have to make sure that it matches the original contours of the item its attached to. For every weapon they add a tuning slot to, they have to add the corresponding effect data to the tuning.

well yeah because it doesn't have a slot. If it had a slot then you could. I still don't understand how its possible to add dye slots to every armor shell but not possible to add a turning slot to every weapon.

Why wouldn't it work with every weapon? every weapon works the same except for the appearance of the weapon. So how would the appearance of the weapon effect the turning animation? especially with lightsabers. Lightsabers are just a long stick. They all look the same except for the hilt part. So how would the animation not work with every lightsaber?

You do realize that it isn't the dye slot that magically makes the armor dyeable, don't you? The only effect the slot has is to activate an existing game system.

It's pretty easy to add a texture mask and a couple of constants in the shader to make dyes general enough. It's entirely different to create generic particle effect which works on every weapon mesh in the game. It probably can be done by offsetting local position along the surface normal but the final result certainly wouldn't be very visually appealing and in some cases entirely broken and then they'll have a lot harder time fixing visual bugs.

My point was to show the difference between the dye system and the tuning system. You can preview dyes on armors that do not have a slot. Yet, you can not preview tunings on weapons that don't have a slot.

As others have pointed out with better description, this is likely because coding a generic primary and secondary color mask is not the same as adding a physical effect to any mesh (ie. weapon).

Can you name a specific armor shell that doesn't have one?

Any of the class starter armors, for one. Also, a lot of lower level greens. Like the Echani Pilot's Workgloves or Echani Frilled Leatheris Belt. Plus, a bunch of higher level greens like the Palauka Cybernetics Jerba Leather Gauntlets MKII. Interesting to note, though, that, at least on higher level greens, the lack of slots seems mostly restricted to smaller armor pieces (belts, gloves). Still, you can find some of those with slots, too.

You can still preview these armors with dyes. You also can dye them if they are already in a costume designer slot.

As far as coding goes, though, dyes and tunings are not comparable systems.

Not sure if you refuse to read developer posts or are incapable of reading comprehension? It was clearly stated they will be adding the Tuning to almost all weapons in future patches/updates. To me this means that weapons that do not have it "now" will have tunings added to them and not overlooked. Why make a forum stink out of a non issue?

Not sure if you refuse to read developer posts or are incapable of reading comprehension? It was clearly stated they will be adding the Tuning to almost all weapons in future patches/updates. To me this means that weapons that do not have it "now" will have tunings added to them and not overlooked. Why make a forum stink out of a non issue?

They said they would add turnings slots to some of the weapons that people request. Where did they say it would be added to "almost all" weapons?

They said they would add turnings slots to some of the weapons that people request. Where did they say it would be added to "almost all" weapons?

You are ignoring others comments and just being stubborn, IMO. It's a very bad trait in some forum postings, IMO.

Look... not all armor had dye slots when dyes released either. Eventually, most (not all) that were orange, or purple, or blue got dye slots. it happened over a period of months, as they had to plow through every armor in the itemization for this game and add the slot and confirm it worked. Believe it or not, that takes time and effort.

Now.. weapon tunings are slightly more complex, and hence why they asked for suggestions as to which weapons players preferred first be upgraded. Why is it more complex? Because unlike dyes, a weapon tuning is an actual visual animation.... and it needs to be tested for clipping and other odd effects. It's not a simple as just adding the slot to the weapon... it requires animation testing and probably some adjustments to each and every weapon.

Got a weapon you really want a tuning slot added to... USE THE THREAD PROVIDED and stop whining.

------------> http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=881791

That's it.. if this is unsatisfactory to you.. please let me know and I will ignore all further posts by you. ;)

Edited by Andryah

Have they explained somewhere why tunings are not unlockable in Collections? That is the biggest annoyance.

Because they want them to be money/CC sinks like dyes.

Also, they can save some time and not bother adding tunings to the trash items. And no, I don't mean vendor trash, I mean the Socorro pieces.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.