The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fastest leveling spec?

Pysoden

So I leveled a merc to 44 and realized that I would prefer to be a Powertech. So I'm at level 19 now, and I'm debating which spec between AP or Pyro would offer faster leveling times, as I'm trying to catch back up to my friends as quickly as possible. Thanks for your input.

So I leveled a merc to 44 and realized that I would prefer to be a Powertech. So I'm at level 19 now, and I'm debating which spec between AP or Pyro would offer faster leveling times, as I'm trying to catch back up to my friends as quickly as possible. Thanks for your input.

Probably shieldtech is the fastest.

The DOT tree doesnt shine til later and the survivability from Shieldtech seems to strongly outweigh the slight DPS (if any) you lose from the DPS tree. As a plus when you see LF Tank for Heroics., well, hey that's YOU!

i'm a lvl35 shieldtech. and yeah it's a breeze so far, bring Galt with you, what you lack in dmg , he will bring it. I've seen him hit 1.2k+ really often. + I can solo any elite encounter really easily just with him alone!

I never tried pyrotech but the good from that tech tree come too late imo.

Shieldtech will feel fairly similar to AP in damage early on but AP will begin to outpace it as the skill tree is fleshed out. There is an advantage to using your ion cylinder with a shield generator until that point though. I'd say around level 25-30 or so?

I love how advanced Protoype feels for leveling. Its very visceral and gritty and things go down a treat. Its a lot of work to juggle all your spells and abilities, opening up with long range, grappling and punching/retract blading your way to victory, but it is worth it and feels very powerful. Especially with mako backing you up.

Definitely the fastest to start with is Shieldtech. Hell the bottom 3 tiers are mostly damage and Heat efficiency anyway.

It starts to lag behind, I'd say around 30. It is still the easiest spec to level with. Take Mako with you and you can practically be on Autopilot (so long as you turn that stupid Channel CC of hers off EVERY time you dismount, zone, or resummon).

Taking Gault or Torian as ST is a decent idea if they're geared enough, but if you have a bad respawn or pat you could be SoL. Mako can keep you up through the ridiculous, but it is definitely slower.

Around 30 both Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype come into their own a bit. I would say that a DPS spec with Mako back up will most likely be faster and safer than a Tank spec with Gault/Torian.

I can think of a couple of elites that might give a DPS spec and Mako issues, but if anything is that bad you've got cooldowns to fall back on (if it is really bad switching to a shield generator and ION wouldn't put you too far behind a regular Shield tech except for the venting and a teeny bit of mitigation).

It's not a slight damage difference between the tank spec and DPS specs. I don' knowt how you can even say that...

Early on it certainly is. Next thing you know you're feeling really proud of 1.5k Rocket Punch crits once in a while and being in complete denial about how awful the damage on everything else is.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

To be fair the last test I did was at level 30 and it seemed pretty much the same between Shieldtech and the two DPS trees.

Its most likely the fastest leveling class with our really strong survivability, great companion and good AOE.

I'd like to test it again at 42 but its pretty damn expensive to respec!

I'm doing kind of a hybrid ST/Pyro build and it's been working out great. I use combust cylinder, and picked up 3 points in the procs on flameburst, and then in the 60% armor ignore on railshot. Then I just went up ST to jetcharge, and after that and the improved rocket punch crit damage, I'll probably start putting points back in pyrotech.

I run with mako. It's been really working for me so far, I do really solid damage and am really difficult to drop.