J.J. Adrams has spoken

mudtech

...what?

I hardly forgot who Ben Skywalker is. I also haven't forgotten that he no longer exists in canon.

There is no Ben Skywalker. There is no Mara Jade

Kylo Ren is Ben Solo, son of Han and Leia.

Did you even watch the movie?

And why the hell is he named Ben? Leia knew his namesake (by reputation only) as Obi Wan. SHE NEVER MET Ben Kenobi. Han knew him as Ben, but just for a really short time, on the trip from tatooine to Alderraan. Hardly a connection worth naming your son after

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why the hell is he named Ben? Leia knew his namesake (by reputation only) as Obi Wan. SHE NEVER MET Ben Kenobi. Han knew him as Ben, but just for a really short time, on the trip from tatooine to Alderraan. Hardly a connection worth naming your son after

"I'm here to rescue you, I'm here with Ben Kenobi"

"Ben Kenobi!?..."

On the contrary.

"I'm here to rescue you, I'm here with Ben Kenobi"

"Ben Kenobi!?..."

On the contrary.

Agreed. When Leia came of age as regards her role in the Alliance to Restore the Republic, she was at the very least told of Kenobi as a general in the clone wars. We "know" that Bail Organa was aware not only of Leia's parentage but the existence of her brother and that Yoda had decided Obi Wan would take the boy to Tatooine to live with the Lars family and they (the Organas) would take Leia, with Yoda retreating into exile. He was in the conference room when it was all decided. Clearly he kept all that secret from her to protect the children, but since he sent her on the mission to retrieve Kenobi from Tatooine, he at least gave her a modicum of information to locate him, including possible aliases.

We know from ANH that Vader says:

"Several transmissions were beamed to this ship [Tantive IV] by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you."

My guess is that Bail Organa did not know if the Rogue One mission would be successful, or if its findings would reach the Alliance during Leia's mission to Tatooine, so he had not anticipated the Rogue One team would send the Death Star plans to her, placing her and her mission to retrieve Kenobi in jeopardy. Maybe Mom Mothma and Gen. Dodonna had even kept the Rogue One mission a secret from Bail so he had plausible deniability, and didn't realize the Rogue One team would send the plans to Leia.

I guess we will find out more in December.

EDIT: I of course have no idea if the name of the mission is Rogue One or some other code name but until we "know" the name of the op, that's what I'm calling it. It's shorter than, "The mission to steal the Death Star plans."

Edited by phalczen

Well, Leia did see him, very, very briefly, during his fight with Darth Vader on the first Death Star. At least that's what I assume.

Obi-Wan Kenobi saw that they were safe in that cargo bay, and that they could flee with Han's starship, so that was the moment when he decided that "enough is enough", and literally puzzled Darth Vader to allow the band of refugeeed not to get caught by Vader's attention.

So, the moment he saw them must also have been the moment she saw him.

That's at least what I have deduced.

I guess we will find out more in December.

EDIT: I of course have no idea if the name of the mission is Rogue One or some other code name but until we "know" the name of the op, that's what I'm calling it. It's shorter than, "The mission to steal the Death Star plans."

Pre-Disney takeover, the mission which stole the Death Star's plans was called Operation Skyhook. No one knows what it'll be called now - if they'll even give it an official name like that.

If we were talking about real people making real decisions, the thought would follow, if it wasn't for Kenobi the group would have never met.

Remember Leia was there only to find him, to get his help with the rebellion. If things hadn't gone wrong she would have simply found him, gave her pitch and whatever his answer left, never having any reason to run into Luke or Han. And those two would not have had any reason to come together and end up on an adventure that has them joining the rebels.

So Kenobi was the reason for it all. Without him the story wouldn't have happened.

Edited by mudtech

If we were talking about real people making real decisions, the thought would follow, if it wasn't for Kenobi the group would have never met.

Remember Leia was there only to find him, to get his help with the rebellion. If things hadn't gone wrong she would have simply found him, gave her pitch and whatever his answer left, never having any reason to run into Luke or Han. And those two would not have had any reason to come together and end up on an adventure that has them joining the rebels.

So Kenobi was the reason for it all. Without him the story wouldn't have happened.

Well, Kenobi's whole reason for being on Tatooine was to watch over Luke, even if not directly. Hermit though he was, he was clearly known in that region since Luke, the son of a mere moisture farmer, knew enough of him to ask his uncle about him. Kenobi clearly kept tabs on Luke, as he had become aware of how good a pilot Luke was. I strongly doubt Kenobi would have left Tatooine without dragging Luke into the rebellion. Jonathan Jackson Miller's Kenobi is no longer canon, and I don't think it had any direct references to interactions with Luke or the rest of the Lars family. But somehow Kenobi knew to be in that part of the Jundland Wastes when Luke was knocked out by the Sandpeople.

Then again if Leah was never attacked by the empire she may have take in the plans straight to the rebel alliance. There would have been no need for Kanobi. It all speculation and I could be way off.

Interestingly, the opening crawl makes no mention of Obi-Wan Kenobi (for plot reasons, most likely), but it's odd that it says she's "speeding home" and just decides to take a quick jaunt off to an Outer Rim backwater to find a decorated war hero (who is in his 60's now).

Interestingly, the opening crawl makes no mention of Obi-Wan Kenobi (for plot reasons, most likely), but it's odd that it says she's "speeding home" and just decides to take a quick jaunt off to an Outer Rim backwater to find a decorated war hero (who is in his 60's now).

So they happened to be in the area when she got the plans. Doesn't really matter why they were there. That's just where they were.

Then the Imperials come. She radios Bale Organa and he remembers that there is a certain Jedi in the area and knows what Jedi (even older ones) are capbable of, so he sends Leia to him for help. He knows Obi-Wan will successfully deliver the plans to the Rebellion.

If not intercepted by the Imperials, she would never have gone looking for Obi-Wan.

But they probably named the kid after Kenobi because he helped save both Skywalker babies and protected Luke all those years. He was obviously also a war hero and one of the greatest Jedi ever. All that and there's a good chance that Luke decided not to have kids, so he wouldn't be able to honor Obi-Wan in the same way.

All adds up to pretty good reason to name their son "Ben."

So they happened to be in the area when she got the plans. Doesn't really matter why they were there. That's just where they were.

Then the Imperials come. She radios Bale Organa and he remembers that there is a certain Jedi in the area and knows what Jedi (even older ones) are capbable of, so he sends Leia to him for help. He knows Obi-Wan will successfully deliver the plans to the Rebellion.

If not intercepted by the Imperials, she would never have gone looking for Obi-Wan.

Leia is the senator for Alderaan, though. If she's on a "diplomatic mission to Alderaan" she would be going from Coruscant->Alderaan. Consider this: Moffs are the "regional governors" Tarkin talks about. He's an Outer Rim governor, so what the **** is he doing flying his giant stonking space station/ship hybrid into the Core? He has no jurisdiction there, and I'm sure the actual Moff in control of that sector is super happy Tarkin strolled in and blew up a planet with a population of billions. "Thanks, Tarkin. Now my whole damn sector is going to foment rebellion because you couldn't wait to blow your load!"

If we're being honest, though, the only reason A New Hope doesn't make spatial sense is because nobody had locked down the places of anything yet. We didn't have a map of the galaxy until the EU really revved up in the mid-90's. If the EU hadn't made Alderaan a Core World, everything would be fine. So I would think the best course of action would be to ignore the weirdness.

Leia is the senator for Alderaan, though. If she's on a "diplomatic mission to Alderaan" she would be going from Coruscant->Alderaan. Consider this: Moffs are the "regional governors" Tarkin talks about. He's an Outer Rim governor, so what the **** is he doing flying his giant stonking space station/ship hybrid into the Core? He has no jurisdiction there, and I'm sure the actual Moff in control of that sector is super happy Tarkin strolled in and blew up a planet with a population of billions. "Thanks, Tarkin. Now my whole damn sector is going to foment rebellion because you couldn't wait to blow your load!"

If we're being honest, though, the only reason A New Hope doesn't make spatial sense is because nobody had locked down the places of anything yet. We didn't have a map of the galaxy until the EU really revved up in the mid-90's. If the EU hadn't made Alderaan a Core World, everything would be fine. So I would think the best course of action would be to ignore the weirdness.

Or to ignore the EU because it's all made-up, anyway.

None of that is canon. Disney can put the space dust that used to be Alderaan anywhere they want. All we know for sure is that it is far away from Dantooine.

Or to ignore the EU because it's all made-up, anyway.

None of that is canon. Disney can put the space dust that used to be Alderaan anywhere they want. All we know for sure is that it is far away from Dantooine.

Incorrect. While everything I said was initially established in the EU, it also all shows up in the Clone Wars and/or Rebels.

DIsney only seems to particularly care that everything after the Battle of Endor is gone, because that's where they wanted to put the new trilogy.

Incorrect. While everything I said was initially established in the EU, it also all shows up in the Clone Wars and/or Rebels.

DIsney only seems to particularly care that everything after the Battle of Endor is gone, because that's where they wanted to put the new trilogy.

I do not believe that the location of Alderaan as a core world is established in either TCW or Rebels.

If anything, Rebels implies that Alderaan is in the same general area as Lothal, which is clearly indicated as an outer rim planet.

Consider this: Moffs are the "regional governors" Tarkin talks about. He's an Outer Rim governor, so what the **** is he doing flying his giant stonking space station/ship hybrid into the Core? He has no jurisdiction there

Tarkin was a Grand Moff, and I don't think the Moffs were = regional governors. I thought they were above them. But, I could be mistaken. However, despite Leia referring to him as "Governor Tarkin" when she is on the bridge of the DS about to witness her planet blown to bits, he is a Grand Moff, not just a moff. And its no surprise that he has an important supervisory role since Anakin had respected his tactical decisions (and Palpatine his ruthlessness) during the Clone Wars.

Of course, we've yet to see what role Tarkin plays in Rogue One, since he is apparently not the white-cloaked-uniformed figure from the trailer.

the only reason A New Hope doesn't make spatial sense is because nobody had locked down the places of anything yet. We didn't have a map of the galaxy until the EU really revved up in the mid-90's. If the EU hadn't made Alderaan a Core World, everything would be fine.

Its even worse now, since Coruscant is no longer a capital world as of Episode 7 (Hosnian Prime is), and the so-called "first Jedi Temple" on Ach-To is somewhere in what the EU would have called Wild Space, so who knows where anything is at this point.

Well, in her holographic message recorded on Artoo she says,

"But my ship has come under attack, and my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed."

For what that is worth.

All we know for sure is that it is far away from Dantooine.

"Dantooine is far too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry, we will deal with your rebel friends soon enough."

If anything, Rebels implies that Alderaan is in the same general area as Lothal, which is clearly indicated as an outer rim planet.

I didn't take that away from the episode. Rather, Bail Organa probably had some knowledge of Fulcrum (Ahsoka) and Cmdr. Sato's operations, and he had interacted with the crew of the Ghost in season 1 when they met R2D2 and C3-PO. Was there something else in the episode that made you think Alderaan was near Lothal?

SORRY, but in SWs EU Canon Books etc.......you seem to forget that BEN SKYWALKER was a child of MARA JADE AND LUKE SKYWALKER.

SO, if Kylo Ren is BEN SKYWALKER then he is Mara Jade's and Luke Skywalker's child.

The EU is no more...

They took Ben's name, gave him solo surname and gave him whiny Jacen Solo's personality.

They are taking what they like from the EU and just mashing it together so its something slightly different.

Edited by Jedi_riches

Well, in her holographic message recorded on Artoo she says,

"But my ship has come under attack, and my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed."

For what that is worth.

Ah, yes. I stand corrected on that point.

I guess they wanted a Jedi all along. :p

Female Clone doesn't even make sense...

Daughter is possible, though I'm thinking unlikely.

I don't think she's quite old enough to be Palpatine's daughter. That would put her in her mid-thirties, at least. Not buying that one.