Marr

Lunafox

Hi Luna, just wanted to pop in and let you know how much I enjoy your work. You truly have the gift. I even really enjoyed "Eternity Awaits", which surprised me, because I generally don't go for romance, no matter the genre. Well Done!

Hi Ryyvndal :D I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying the Star Wars stories and also Eternity Awaits :D Especially since you don't typically favor romance. Hey, if you have time, maybe you could drop a short review for the book at Amazon, that would be awesome and appreciated. Thanks again for reading! ^^

Edited by Lunafox

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Twelve~

Vengeance is an equal measure of humiliation and death.

“It is you who is the fool. You should have stayed dead!” Taxon erupted from his darkened niche, the floor vibrating upon his landing. His outburst served to confirm my suspicions—he hadn’t discovered the truth himself, he had been informed.

His stance reminded me of an ape posturing to intimidate his band. The light beam trained on the center of the arena’s floor wasn’t kind to Taxon. The white brush of hair had grown since I’d last seen him and hung about his shoulders like a stringy mane. His sideburns extended almost to his chin, patchy and sparse. His lower lip was drawn out wide and called attention to his protruding lower canines. “I will adorn this chamber with your entrails, Marr.”

“Entrails are so last century. The décor would be vastly improved with the addition of several comfortable chairs,” Vowrawn taunted.

A few low snickers escaped from the councillor’s niches.

“Shut up fop!” Taxon roared, his corrupted pallor flushing a livid red.

“Enough!” My lightsaber responded to the subtle flex of my hand, roaring its threat as intention and action became one.

Taxon fixed me in his glare once more. “You dare command me?”

“I am not here to trade barbs.” I carved the air before me in challenge, scarlet phantoms of my blade marking where it had been. “I am here for your blood.”

Taxon straightened to his full height, his blade igniting at the same instant. “You arrogant…son of a—”

Before he could finish his slur I advanced on him, our blades at once gnashing and sputtering in a flurry of crimson.

Caliginus, Vowrawn, and Silthar receded to the edge of the arena to avoid the fray. The silhouettes in each council niche sidled closer to the edge of their boxes like spectators at a Huttball match.

Taxon’s duelling style relied on his brute strength and the longer I perpetuated the dance, the more his strength waned. I sought to draw him across the length of the chamber a third time when he realized my strategy. He threw me back but rather than lose my footing, I somersaulted and landed on my feet. My recovery stoked his anger and he charged at me like a rancor.

The second before impact, I sidestepped to avoid the collision. Without my body to break his momentum, Taxon crashed headlong into the statue of the Emperor. The statue teetered on its base. He gave his head a shake, and the wormy tendrils flanking his chin quivered. His attention shot upward and then I saw why. I took several steps backwards.

The statue loomed over him like a felled tree, losing the battle to remain upright. The monument toppled—breaking into three pieces. The head of the Emperor tumbled past me. I stared at it with a stunned incredulity, thankful again for the mask that hid my reaction.

The Imperial banner tore under Taxon’s weight and plummeted to trap him wriggling beneath it.

The snickers I’d heard earlier thickened into full throaty laughter—female laughter—Mekhis, Lied, and Nilaiha—three of the councillors that had sided against Taxon before Caliginus’s ruling. Vowrawn and Silthar joined in.

“I thought this was a duel, Taxon…not a nerf fight! Bravo matador!” Vowrawn called through cupped hands. Silthar applauded.

Taxon slashed free of the banner and emerged just as red, his teeth gritted and bared. He threw back his cloak and stalked out of the apse where the monument had stood. The laughter spread like a disease until the chamber echoed with it.

“Order!” Caliginus called out. “I demand Order!”

The chamber fell quiet again, save for Taxon’s rasping breath.

I sensed a surge gathering in the Force and Taxon’s connection to it. A great gust of power ripped through the chamber, sweeping Vowrawn and Silthar both, high into the air. Their hands flew to their throats and their eyes bulged.

“Your fight is with me, Taxon.”

He didn’t seem to hear me. I flung my weapon at his saber hand and bisected the hilt of his saber. The pommel skittered across the floor and Taxon was left holding the sparking stump of the hilt. With his blade destroyed, his concentration broke. Both men fell to the floor, gasping and coughing.

“It’s over Taxon. You have no weapon.” I retracted my blade and folded my arms.

He spun around, orienting himself to the side of the room that contained niches of those who supported him. “Help me put an end to this cretin! Evilor! Ignis! Give me a lightsaber—one of you…”

Several moments of stunned silence passed before a voice broke the razor sharp lull in the chamber. Darth Cynster, Head of the Sphere of Production and Logistics, stood. “Take mine.”

With an upturned palm, Taxon claimed the tendered lightsaber. The weapon came alive with a watery swishing sound.

Darth Mekhis slapped the rail enclosing her niche. “You can’t be serious…giving him your weapon! The duel is over…Taxon’s life is forfeit. Marr is the victor.”

“That is not your call,” Caliginus snapped. “I am Head of Laws and Justice!”

Demolis jabbed a finger towards Caliginus. “Your bias and thus your corruption is showing…”

“It is within Cynster’s right to volunteer as a second,” Caliginus reminded.

Mekhis shook her head. “Before a duel! A second’s role is far more than providing a replacement weapon.”

“Do you agree to serve?”

“Yes, yes, I serve as second...” Cynster’s silhouette threw up his arms. “Swat this insect and be done with this. You have my weapon, use it.”

Taxon didn’t need to be told twice. He took the offensive with renewed composure. The brief interlude had served him. His mien was more measured now—almost to the point of restraint.

Through years of bullying and intimidation, he had grown too accustomed to the quick and lazy resolutions that came with brute force. Met with an equally immoveable opponent, he found himself wanting. Were he more adroit, I might have believed he had been testing me.

The clash of lightsabers echoed as we continued the dance. He kept the distance between us close, refusing to be baited into exerting himself as before.

Taxon murmured incantations under his breath and I felt a drain on my vigor. If I continued in a defensive stance, he would drain me. I had to interrupt his focus and reclaim the offensive. The darkness called to me, inciting me to summon it.

Not yet…

My chest and arms ached, and I began to understand. As my vitality and connection to the Force diminished, his would grow. With every punishing blow, I sensed his strength returning. As he grew more confident in his power, he summoned tangles of lightning, spewing them at me with relentless fury.

I swatted each jangling ball of electricity back at him, only to have it deflected. With a high kick to his chest, I pushed him back. His bulk and brutish form made him clumsy. He stumbled over a fist-sized piece of rubble from the broken statue and fell on his back.

He was slow to rise and I leapt high, aiming to drive my blade into his chest. Instead, he used the Force to at once shield himself and deflect me. I rolled three times and landed in a crouch at the far end of the arena, stopping just short of the Emperor’s headless torso.

By now, Taxon had found his feet. He lobbed the Emperor’s stone head at me. I sidestepped the brunt of it. The head shattered behind me, and I summoned the debris into a swarm to pelt him down.

The larger chunks of debris shattered into dust, but enough of it pummeled him to slow his advance.

He muttered another string of sorcery, but this time, I was prepared and answered it with one of my own. Beyond the pale, the darkness rejoiced and rushed to my service. It swirled about me, a cloak of inky shadow—a train of seething skulls trailing behind me.

The darkness pursued Taxon. Gnarled fingers coiled around his body until only his head and feet protruded from each end of the fist.

Several gasps echoed through the chamber, but from which niches they originated from, I did not know.

His body rose ever higher, the velocity growing as he neared the vaulted ceiling. His body flailed and twisted into impossible postures. He screamed again, the sound so shrill, I questioned if it was him or the darkness. Ceiling fragments rained all around him after the first impact. The borrowed weapon fell from his shattered hand and cartwheeled across the floor, its clattering song coming to a close against a boulder of rubble.

Spidery fissures cracked the stone floor tiles after the next impact. Taxon bounced between ceiling and floor, twice more, and I thought I heard the sickening crunch of breaking bones.

I opened my arms to the darkness, the tendrils slithering under my bracers as it flowed back to me.

Tattered and broken, Taxon lay upon the floor. Through the Force, I felt his stubborn heartbeat, still determined to power his sluggish blood. I respected his determination and will, but it was not enough to earn my mercy.

The darkness crooned in my veins, fueling my blood with merciless hosannas. I had tasted Taxon’s humiliation and I craved for more.

Unable to stand, he crawled on his belly toward Cynster’s lightsaber. The Force flickered inside him—a flame bullied by eager winds. I watched him inch toward the weapon, his last hope at somehow besting me. As his fingers were about to close around the hilt, the weapon escaped him and stopped just beyond reach. He shifted forward to pursue it again, so defeated he failed to comprehend, I would play this denying game until his last breath.

“Stop playing, Marr…end it,” Caliginus growled.

“When I am satisfied that he has paid for all he has taken from me…and from these others…then and only then. That is within my right.”

I caught myself hoping Caliginus or Cynster would interfere. I reached for them through the Force, but they remained rooted in their respective locations.

I summoned the borrowed blade and examined the carved silver hilt before pulverizing it into scrap in my fist. I whipped the wadded hilt at Cynster. “Your weapon…second.”

I turned to face the niches where Taxon’s allies stood. “Will none of you give him your weapons?” I opened my arms entreating them, but instead of a response, I sensed their disquiet. “No one? Very well…”

I fixed Taxon in my gaze again. The time had come to end him, but it would not be a peaceful passing.

The darkness roiled within me, and with it came an intoxicating hatred. Rods of black-blue lightning wove through Taxon—bolts for my blood parents, bolts for my adoptive parents, for Silthar’s niece and for a beast that looked to me as its master.

Another bolt to punish for the years he’d stolen from me, and another for the lost Tacitus legacy. I revelled in his torment and abasement. I feasted on it and felt it feed the clamouring mouths in the darkness.

Through the Force, my fingers closed around his throat. He rose and I dragged him toward me, savoring the scuffing sound of his boot tips against the ruined floor. Slouching and weak, he hovered before me. It was in this moment that I realized the darkness was a part of me. It was no more foreign than my body or my weapon, or the dark intellect that whispered to me since birth. The darkness was never meant to be controlled or restrained—it was meant to be unleashed.

I lifted Taxon’s doddering head and stared into his eyes. “I condemn you to the darkness…that they may feed on you for an eternity.”

The shadows cocooned him—a mass of hungry serpents feasting until his bones had been picked clean. I rammed my lightsaber through his rib cage and let the remains fall to the floor.

Now…I am finished. Release Vowrawn and Silthar, I believe that is my right as well.”

Caliginus grudgingly waved off the guards. “The charges against you are dismissed.”

Vowrawn clapped the dust from his hands. “Well now, that was quite the match wasn’t it? I have fire in my veins and a song on my lips,” Vowrawn crooned.

Silthar brushed the front of his robes and exhaled heavily. “I’m grateful. Thank you, Marr, but I think you’ll understand if I take my leave now. Surely there is a dig site somewhere…far away.”

I bowed and pressed my hand to my heart. “May the Force ever serve you…Overseer.”

“And you as well.” Silthar wasted no time clearing the chamber.

I turned to face Vowrawn and regarded him for a moment in silence. “I know it was you, Vowrawn. You arranged this…”

“But what will you do now, Marr?” Vowrawn pressed. “Victory is yours!” The impish spark in his eye worried me.

“I believe Silthar had the right idea…” I glanced at the surrounding niches with disdain, and sensing little resistance, I started for the door.

“What about your seat, Marr…” Darth Arctis called out. “It seems we face the advent of galactic war, with no one to lead the Sphere of Defense of the Empire. The seat is yours by virtue of your victory.”

Vowrawn and I exchanged looks.

“Just remember me in a few weeks when you have an opening in Production and Logistics,” he whispered.

“A few weeks—I’m surprised you would wait so long…”

Vowrawn’s response came in the form of a wide cheeky grin that reminded me of a hungry Nexu. “The victory is yours, m’boy, savour it. I think a holiday is in order.” He clapped my shoulder. “I’ll be in touch.”

Cynster slapped his palms against the half wall of his niche. “He has no title…save for this made up business he claims the ghost gave him.”

Demolis laughed. “After that display, do you truly doubt the authenticity of his training? Or the veracity of his titles? He is truly touched by darkness. Perhaps you’d like to challenge him, hmm?”

“I have no weapon,” Cynster grumbled.

Demolis smirked. “I’ll take that as a no. Arctus…anything to add?”

Arctus, the senior most member of the council stood before me. “Marr, by order of the Dark Council and your prowess and mastery over the dark side, you are now Darth Marr. With us, you rule all the Sith and are answerable only to our ultimate master, the Emperor. You are charged with defending the Empire—that we may stand against any challenger and emerge victorious.”

“From what I have witnessed here today, change is needed. We have a great deal of work ahead.”

“Then I consider you, the herald of change…May the Force ever serve you, Darth Marr,” Arctus murmured and left me standing alone in the ruined chamber.

I took my place within my niche and leaned heavily against the railing, somehow intuiting, this moment was the beginning of the end.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

An epic duel, it definitely did not disappoint. Bravo!

The darkness crooned in my veins, fueling my blood with merciless hosannas. I had tasted Taxon’s humiliation and I craved for more.

I love that line, hosanna is not a word oft used. I also loved the way Marr spanked Taxon for every single slight suffered and named each one of them.

Looking forward to where Marr's destiny takes him next. Vowrawn is a hoot as always.

Spoilertagging for spoilers :) :

The ascension is complete! I was not expecting it quite so soon, but it was a fun read nonetheless. That last part of the battle was captivating in a can't-look-away sort of way.

I should probably have guessed Marr was about to be named Darth, given what happened between Thanaton and Nox. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

If only Marr could use his darkness powers against Valkorion ... :(

Edited by wangxiuming

An epic duel, it definitely did not disappoint. Bravo!

I love that line, hosanna is not a word oft used. I also loved the way Marr spanked Taxon for every single slight suffered and named each one of them.

Looking forward to where Marr's destiny takes him next. Vowrawn is a hoot as always.

Thank you! Whew! That's a load off. I find writing battles a challenge, so getting these last two battles out of the way is a huge relief for me. :D I'm glad you enjoyed that line, I was a bit tickled when it came to me too. Marr did get his vengeance. I was a bit worried that he might have seemed too much of a d*ck but considering all he went through, I guess it was ok :D Vowrawn makes me giggle, he just loves to troll Taxon. :)

Spoilertagging for spoilers :) :

The ascension is complete! I was not expecting it quite so soon, but it was a fun read nonetheless. That last part of the battle was captivating in a can't-look-away sort of way.

I should probably have guessed Marr was about to be named Darth, given what happened between Thanaton and Nox. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

If only Marr could use his darkness powers against Valkorion ... :(

Indeed...our baby has grown up! And he does canonically hold the distinction of being the youngest person to ascend to the dark council. I'm relieved and happy that you had a good time reading.

I'm thinking that while it's not terribly common for seats to be won in this way, it does happen every so often. I think the next bit we're going to have a bit of a change of pace, one I'm excited about; hopefully everyone else will like it too.

It is suggested in the game that Marr had foreseen his death...and I'm also inclined to think he saw what followed it, and that it was necessary for him to accept his fate...sort of a sacrifice for the greater good. Not an easy decision, considering what he was leaving behind, but yeah, I still harbor hopes that Marr could overcome the fate that Bioware has sentenced him to. :)

I like the pacing of the fight. With the inclusion of the other attendants it isn't too short. It ebbs and flows, and the toppling of the statue is an interesting interruption. Maybe as a Darth Taxon could have put up a bit more of a fight, but you explained that, and there is always the danger of drawing a fight out for too long.

Vowran is precious as always.

I like the pacing of the fight. With the inclusion of the other attendants it isn't too short. It ebbs and flows, and the toppling of the statue is an interesting interruption. Maybe as a Darth Taxon could have put up a bit more of a fight, but you explained that, and there is always the danger of drawing a fight out for too long.

Vowran is precious as always.

I'm glad that you think it worked out all right. I was concerned about length...at one point...too short and later too long. I figured throwing some real damage into the fight might be fun, I figured it must happen when opponents get really worked up. As for Vowrawn, I wish we could get him as a companion. Then I'd know who my SI would be hanging out with all the time lol.

I'm glad that you think it worked out all right. I was concerned about length...at one point...too short and later too long. I figured throwing some real damage into the fight might be fun, I figured it must happen when opponents get really worked up. As for Vowrawn, I wish we could get him as a companion. Then I'd know who my SI would be hanging out with all the time lol.

Here Here!

Hey, Luna! :D

Been a fan of this thread for a while now, and now that I've re-subbed I can finally convey my appreciation of your excellent writing! Your work is definitely a worthy tribute to the greatness that is Darth Marr.

As a side note, I have to say that your description of the darkness at the end of Chapter 9 distinctly reminded me of Kreia's description of the Force:

"It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies. It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus. It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark."

At any rate, keep up the good work, and I look forward to the next chapter!

Hey, Luna! :D

Been a fan of this thread for a while now, and now that I've re-subbed I can finally convey my appreciation of your excellent writing! Your work is definitely a worthy tribute to the greatness that is Darth Marr.

As a side note, I have to say that your description of the darkness at the end of Chapter 9 distinctly reminded me of Kreia's description of the Force:

"It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies. It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus. It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark."

At any rate, keep up the good work, and I look forward to the next chapter!

Hello! :) It's wonderful to hear from you. Thank you so much for the lovely compliment, I'm glad you're enjoying the story, and that you think I'm doing the man justice. I hope I do, I'm a real Marr fan. ^^

I haven't played either KOTOR unfortunately. I have the games, but my pc won't play them, so I have to content myself with reading about the stories or seeing bits and pieces on youtube. I know who Kreia is, so that's pretty cool! Thank you :D

Edited by Lunafox

Marr

~Chapter Thirteen~

We live as long as we are remembered…

The council chambers faded and with it the triumph of my ascension.

Returned to the present, the protective mantle of the past gave way to the Force tide. To my surprise, I had overcome the disorientation I’d come to expect. The current ebbed around me, like the depths of a cool Alderaanian lake and I was reminded of a happier time.

The will of the Force banked on my nostalgia, using it to impel me toward the void. The nudge was subtle but no less determined to guide me toward the fate that claimed most Sith.

The void loomed on the horizon, a pool of indigo swirling with ribbons of ultramarine and cerulean blue. If I listened intently enough, I could hear the music of its vibration and it reminded me of the electromagnetic frequency of every ringed planet I had reason to survey. The eerie treble chimes mingled with the deep thrumming bass, spoke of the Force, light and dark entwined.

No matter how fierce or gentle its demand I would not surrender. I could not. I was of no use in the void, and while death deprived me of much, it would not rob me of my purpose.

The Force pressed me again—the urgency to expel me from this plane growing ever more insistent.

“I will not yield!”

My voice boomed across the ocean and vanished into the void. For the briefest of moments, I thought I’d heard a response, the voice soft yet commanding—“I will not fight you…”

The Force tide would not allow me to dwell on the voice or the resignation it intoned. I dismissed it as a hallucination and turned my back to the void.

The burden of my defiance set into my shoulders. I grew heavier and more tired.

Curiosity drove me to look over my shoulder to measure my progress, and to my dismay, I’d gained no advantage from my efforts, if anything, the void appeared closer.

I roared my frustration. Impatient and desperate I began my efforts anew, only to drain myself further. The will of the Force had a new ally in my fatigue, and my confidence in my own strength wavered.

In life, I ignored such impulses. I had no time to wax over my diminishing humanity, but here, time exists in abundance and memories are weapons. Perhaps they serve as sustenance as well.

The darkness had eroded the man I was—and continued to undermine the residue of that man. I began to understand the war wasn’t solely between myself and the will of the Force, but between it and the darkness. I was merely a soldier, caught between the dark values that served me in life and the impractical ideals that sought to condemn me to the abyss for my choices. I would not regret, repent, or recant.

If I summoned the darkness to fight for me, it would devour the last vestiges of humanity I clung to. I had no strength left to control it. Only chaos would survive. The darkness was my one advantage—a last resort I must not squander—only during a moment of great need, would I make that sacrifice, no sooner.

To fight the will of the Force, I would need to attack. Holding ground was no longer enough—but the only arsenal at my disposal was memory. Not every decision I’d made led to the corruption of my nature—a fact I was determined to prove. Not every road was dark. There had been a light once. It was dim and weak, but I recognized something of myself in its persistence.

I remained still. Tranquility carried me further than the thrashing effort I’d expended before. Fighting did nothing. This was not a battle, but a game of chess.

I had fallen into Taxon’s habit of relying on physical prowess alone and the will of the Force capitalized on my weakness. On a plane where the corporeal does not exist, I had been labouring under a crippling disadvantage.

Slowly, I began to advance toward my desire—a shimmering world I had grown to hate in life.

No bigger than a pin point of starlight, the speck beckoned to me across the deep. Each step brought me closer, and the completion it promised nourished me. My strength returned and with it renewed vigor and resolve. The will of the Force would not win. If there was a way to escape the looming void, I would find it.

I drifted along the now familiar shore that was the past. The darkness enveloped me and the guiding star exploded to become many. White hot streaks blazed past me as I plummeted across the world’s thermosphere. Black became blue, then fuschia and orange, the skies brightening until I was met with the golden bands of an Alderaanian sunset.

The shuttle quaked and the instrument panel blacked out. I recognized this moment as my first visit to Alderaan, nine years after ascending to the Dark Council.

I didn’t need sensor readings to see the jagged range of snow-capped mountains ahead. I pulled up sharp. The shuttle’s belly grazed the peak.

The fuselage groaned. The stench of fuel told me I’d ripped open the fuel tank. I swore under my breath. The ship swayed and lurched.

Fuel gushed from the shuttle like blood through a sliced artery. The engines sputtered and stalled. I was turned on my head. Blood pounded in my skull and I growled. The shuttle spiralled and wouldn’t respond to my command.

I reached out with the Force to right the vessel and hold it steady. The ship skipped twice across a slushy plain and collided with a mound of phosphorescent purple. Gel and guts exploded across the viewport like crushed grapes, but the shuttle continued to rush forward. I tucked my head against my chest and held myself. Several seconds passed before I realized the shuttle had stopped.

I pawed at the seat belt and threw it back to escape the cockpit. Sparks shot through the console and the stench of fuel hung in the air. I didn’t have much time.

The shuttle had taken more damage than I’d thought. The ceiling had collapsed and as I rushed toward the hatch, I was forced to crouch. Hoses swung loose and jets of foggy steam filled the compartment. I threw myself against the hatch, forcing it just enough to see that the shuttle was impacted by a mound of moist clay.

Fuel oozed toward me from the aft compartment and flames engulfed the cockpit. I drew my lightsaber and thrust it through the portside wall, grinding the blade through the durasteel, to forge a new opening.

Cool air rushed inside, feeding the flames. I threw my supply pack ahead of me and tumbled through the smouldering exit I’d carved. I rolled to my feet and put as much distance between myself and the burning shuttle as the slushy soil would allow.

The flames and fuel met, the resultant force throwing me forward. My skull vibrated inside my helmet and my ears rang. I tumbled and rolled, finally coming to a stop at the edge of a precipice. I peered over the edge, noting a good ten-meter drop. After collecting myself, I stood and watched the flaming remnants rain over the clearing.

The fireball grew to engulf the hive-shaped mound until it collapsed. The molten clay oozed over the remains of the shuttle and smothered the fire. The chittering wail of dozens of insects rose from within the hive. The pitch of their cries grew sharper and took on a more desperate resonance—a rallying call.

Killiks.

Swarms of man-sized insects armed with crater-riddled glaives rushed toward the damaged mound. Others swarmed the clutch of shattered purple eggs. I’d murdered their offspring and burned their home—hardly an auspicious beginning to a mission dedicated to understanding the Alderaanian political climate.

Not even Vowrawn’s detailed briefing could prepare me for the onslaught I was about to encounter.

The insects turned in perfect unison to face me; as if one voice—or one mind—commanded them. I might have admired their precision under different circumstances. The insectoid army advanced, their song and weapons raised to a blazing pitch.

Instinct told me to take a step backwards, but the crumbling stones under my heel reminded me I had nowhere to go but down or forward. Neither option held any appeal.

Beyond the swarming mass, a woman’s piercing scream made the decision for me.

Forward it is, then.

My lightsaber snarled to life and I threw myself at the horde of insects. Scratchy brown bodies became a tunnel around me, the scarlet glow of my blade the only light. I plowed forward, slashing, and stabbing and dodging glaives. The clatter of mandibles and their tergum armoured bellies was almost deafening.

With a wave of my arm, I swept the corpses to one side and somersaulted to a bulbous ledge jutting from one of the nearby hives. To my horror, the body of a trooper lolled through the wall, exposure to their secretions having eaten away the soldier’s insignias. What colouring remained suggested he had served the Republic. A thermal detonator hung from his belt. I snatched the device and glared at the remaining throng of angry insects below.

Hmph…let us hope this works…

I depressed the switch and felt the vibration against my palm as it armed. The blinking red light hastened and I lobbed the sphere into the heart of the chattering army below.

The sphere detonated, triggering a whorl of dismembered insects and livid splashes of muddy yellow blood across the snow-dappled mountainside. After the explosion settled, quiet fell over the mountain and I questioned if the woman had survived.

I leapt from my perch and strode up the incline. Night threatened to cloak the mountainside. If I failed to learn the woman’s fate within the half hour, I would need to abandon the search. Perhaps it was an exercise in futility…I began to doubt of her survival.

As I was about to abandon the search, my gaze was drawn to a clump of dark green fabric, a sharp contrast against the pristine snow. The girl didn’t move, but through the Force, she appeared as a shimmering light.

I shucked my gloves and pressed my fingers to her throat. She was pale and cool to the touch, but the jaunty persistence of her pulse thrummed against my fingertips.

By my estimation, the girl was no more than twenty. Dainty manicured fingernails and the elaborately coiled hair suggested she was of noble birth. A low involuntary chuckle escaped me when I discovered she was armed only with a jewel encrusted letter opener. I shook my head and tucked the makeshift weapon into my belt. What she was doing here alone, remained a mystery.

I unfastened the pearlescent buttons at her throat and loosened the wide embroidered sash binding her waist to help her breathing. A complex network of under-wiring cinched an already tiny waist. I tugged the lower third of the corset’s busk apart. Nobles and their ridiculously uptight clothing…

No sooner had her eyes snapped open, she pelted me with her fists. “Stop it! At once! Or…I’ll scream!”

“I’d rather you didn’t.”

“You’re a beast,” she whimpered.

“No…I’m your rescuer.”

“That doesn’t give you the right! Please don’t—I’m…betrothed.” She gripped the sash and drew it to her chest as if I’d stripped her bare.

I laughed. “And how precisely will your impending marriage aid your breathing?”

“My breathing?” Confusion bloomed in her eyes.

“Yes…you were unconscious. What did you think I was doing?”

“I thought…I thought you were going to—you’re a Sith aren’t you?”

“And because of that, you assumed I was going to take advantage of you.”

“Well…yes. Aren’t you?”

“Is that a hint of disappointment?”

“No!” She roared and patted down her robes. “Wings of the thranta…where is it…”

“I suppose you’re looking for this.” I patted the letter opener tucked into my belt.

“Give it back.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Given your reaction, I suspect you’re with House Organa.” I rose and folded my arms.

“No…I’m from House Teraan.”

“Which to my understanding is allied with Organa—and that makes you my captive.”

“A captive—what’s going to happen to me?”

“That…remains to be seen. If you co-operate, you will be returned to your family, no doubt as part of a prisoner exchange.”

She buried her face in her hands and sobbed. Through the Force, I sensed her fear rising over her shoulders like a fog—but it wasn’t so much me that she feared or the insects or even captivity…

“You don’t wish to return to your family. You ran away—that would explain why you’re here…alone.”

She lifted her head and sniffled. “Just go away, let me be.”

“You’re of noble birth. What could be so terrible, that you’d prefer death?”

“You wouldn’t understand…”

“Because I’m Sith…”

She nodded quickly and swiped at her tears.

“Perhaps, it is because I’m Sith, that I would understand—better than any other…”

“I doubt that. You can do anything…you’re free…I’m told what to wear and how to act and who I can marry…I wish I was a Sith or a Jedi…anything…except who I am.”

“I was raised as a slave…my family was more fortunate than most…we had shelter and food in bellies—but we were slaves…”

You were a slave?”

“For a time…but I longed for more. The Sith code gave me strength…perhaps it might do the same for you.”

“I’d like to hear it…”

“Very well…” I drew a breath and gazed down at the girl by my feet. Brown, fear tainted eyes seared into my memory and I caught myself wanting to soothe the fear I saw there. I turned away. “Peace is a lie; there is only passion; through passion, I gain strength, through strength I gain power…through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken…the Force shall free me.”

“That’s…beautiful. But Master Rylister…he’s a Jedi who visits us regularly—he says, there’s no passion…only serenity…”

“Jedi platitudes…hmph. And what profound advice did this Jedi offer you?”

“He told me to be calm…that he would speak to my father on my behalf…and help him understand my unhappiness—that I don’t love Malon Baliss…that I never could. I don’t want to marry to win allies…I want to be loved.”

I whirled on her. “A Jedi cannot speak of that which he does not understand…what does a Jedi know of love or unhappiness?”

“And what do you know about it, my Lord?”

Why am I even entertaining this mawkish nonsense? “We need to leave before the infernal insects return,” I barked.

“I’m not going anywhere…let them come.” She lifted her chin indignantly and the misery in her eyes became a challenge.

“Don’t be a fool…”

“Please don’t talk to me like that…I don’t like it.”

“You’re testing my patience.”

I sensed a lone presence no more than a few meters away—a killik. My lightsaber came alive in my hand.

“Are you going to kill me?”

“Quiet…stay down.” I hurled the saber into the night and cut the creature down. My lightsaber returned to me, and I re-sheathed my blade. “That was a killik scout—we won’t be alone much longer. Surely, accompanying me holds more appeal than becoming insect fodder.”

“Maybe a little.” She stood and dusted herself off.

In spite of myself, I chuckled.

Deep within the valley, a dome of golden light lifted over the treetops. “There…is that an outpost?”

“I think that’s Wardpost Luurdes…but we can’t go there…they’ll shoot you.”

“Your concern, while touching…is unnecessary.”

“Yes, but they might miss and shoot me instead.”

I palmed my forehead. “I think I’m beginning to understand why your father wants to be rid of you. Let’s move.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Fate and desire (not carnal) appear to be fighting in Marr. I think he always accepted his fate but also did not want to go quietly into that good night. The darkness almost seems like a security blanket but one he does not want to pander to. He does think deeply and I would expect nothing less.

Your words, as always, leaves much to contemplate. I bow to your eloquence. :D

I am waiting to see what part, if any, this mysterious girl plays. :)

Once again you make my writing skills feel wholly inadequate! A well-written chapter Luna! Your writing is so much more concise and detailed than mine, hopefully if I keep reading your stuff it might rub off on me lol. Keep writing this, I can't wait to see Marr's ultimate fate!

*blush* Thank you. I'm happy to keep writing about Marr, he's a favorite. I'm really happy that you enjoyed it, but I think you're far too hard on yourself. You have a lovely style and I enjoy your work as well. ^^

Fate and desire (not carnal) appear to be fighting in Marr. I think he always accepted his fate but also did not want to go quietly into that good night. The darkness almost seems like a security blanket but one he does not want to pander to. He does think deeply and I would expect nothing less.

Your words, as always, leaves much to contemplate. I bow to your eloquence. :D

I am waiting to see what part, if any, this mysterious girl plays. :)

That is indeed one of his conflicts. Acceptance is one thing, wanting to give up one's purpose is another thing. It's hard to give up a lifetime of ingrained behaviour formed by the expectations of others, and oneself. The darkness is a dangerous thing really, he know it's wearing him down, but it's insurance too, his ace up the sleeve. Thank you so much for the compliment, it does keep me going. The girl...well, this one is kind of important. :D

The girl...well, this one is kind of important. :D

Could this be ...

Liatrix's mother? :eek: The woman grew up influenced by Jedi but seems also very intrigued by the Sith Code. Is she going to be seduced (in more ways than one, I imagine :D)?

As always, looking forward to what's next. :)

Edited by wangxiuming

Could this be ...

Liatrix's mother? :eek: The woman grew up influenced by Jedi but seems also very intrigued by the Sith Code. Is she going to be seduced (in more ways than one, I imagine :D)?

As always, looking forward to what's next. :)

You're right on the money :D

That's exactly who it is! Like many republic allied noble families, they entertained quite a bit, and had a 'patron' Jedi that would come around to keep an eye on them, guide them, protect them. Our young lady has no Force powers, but she is quite taken by their ways...she thinks of their code more as poetry, or guiding verses, but she is fascinated, and I'm hoping it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. :)

Marr

~Chapter Fourteen~

Silence confesses more than words if one knows how to listen.

“My lord? We’ve been walking for hours. Can’t we stop to rest? Please?” She stood awkwardly on one foot while rubbing the other.

I slowed my gait, but when she realized I had no intention of stopping, she hastened and caught my elbow. She stumbled at my side and reflexively I reached out to steady her—silently cursing myself the moment I did. She gazed up at me and I looked away.

“Please, just for a minute? I can’t walk anymore. My feet hurt.”

“How you even made it this far in those ridiculous shoes is beyond me…”

I expected a spirited answer but was met with silence instead. I raised the light stick to cast a wider arc.

A creek bubbled languidly ahead. She’d drained the canteen over an hour ago and though I’d willingly given her the last of the water, I could no longer ignore my own thirst.

“I’m begging you…”

Her plaintive whisper touched something in me and I found myself at odds between indulging her and keeping my distance. “There’s a stream ahead—you may rest while I refill the canteen.”

“Thank you, my lord, thank you.” She clung to my arm, her breathing hitching with every step she took. I stole a glance at her profile. Pale and shivering, her lips formed a tight line and tears clung to her lashes. The elaborate hairstyle had come undone and hung down her shoulder in messy coils. To her credit, she’d complained far less, than I’d have expected from a spoiled noble.

At the stream, she perched on a stone and removed her ruined shoes and stockings. I doused the canteen in the current and watched her soothe the soles of her feet. Raw and bloody, her feet were riddled with broken blisters and she winced when she accidentally brushed one.

I considered the full canteen for a moment but set it aside to rummage through my supply pack. Wedged at the bottom I found a bar of kolto and a roll of gauze. “This will help.”

“I didn’t plan my escape very well, did I?” She glanced up at me and smiled coyly.

“No…” I knelt before her. “I’m no medic, but…if you’ll permit me.”

She nodded and I set to work on treating her feet. “The water is cold,” I warned. “But the kolto is colder. This will sting.”

“You’re not at all what I expected,” she murmured. “I was taught the Sith are callous and cruel.”

“I was taught the same about Alderaanian nobility.”

Her eyes widened and she erupted into bright laughter. “Point taken…” She held herself and remained remarkably still as I worked.

“I just meant…I appreciate your kindness. I’d probably be dead now if it wasn’t for you.” She reached out cautiously and set her hand on mine and I froze.

“I’ve just realized, we don’t even know each other’s names…I’m Liaseph…”

I tugged my hand free when I realized I enjoyed her touch too much and looked away. “My name is irrelevant.” I finished binding her feet and tossed the remnants of the gauze and kolto into my pack.

“Is that Lord or Darth Irrelevant?” She quipped.

“This isn’t some social event—I am your captor and you…you are my hostage.” I hoped to restore some semblance of distance, but my words rang hollow. Like a shuttle caught in a tractor beam, I was drawn ever closer to her, against my will and better judgement.

Her shoulders slumped. “I thought maybe…we could be friends.”

“The Sith have no friends…”

“It must be awfully sad, living that way.”

“Who are you to judge? Your own family seeks to barter you like chattel.”

She lowered her gaze and smoothed her skirt in silence. My tone had been sharper, more vicious than I’d intended. I had offended her—hurt her. I seized the canteen and turned away to remove the frontispiece of my mask. I guzzled half the water in one draught and then reaffixed my mask.

“Why do you hide your face? How can you even breathe in that?”

“My comfort and my reasons are—”

“None of my business, right? How am I supposed to learn about the Sith culture if you won’t answer my questions? You point out my ignorance at every turn, but you won’t teach me.”

I sighed, realizing I was too tired to argue. I sat on the stone opposite her and examined the canteen as if it were the most interesting specimen of its kind in the galaxy.

Her stomach rumbled loudly enough to break the silence between us. She held herself more tightly. “Excuse me,” she whispered.

I reached into the pack for the ration bar I’d been saving and passed it to her. “Eat.”

She turned the foil packet over in her hands and when she opened it, she cracked the bar in two, keeping half for herself and offering the rest back to me.

“Here, take it my lord…you need to eat too.”

I accepted the halved bar and stole another glance at her. She nibbled at her portion and watched me intently. She’d caught me looking and seemed to be amused by it.

“Gracious of you…Liaseph.” The syllables of her name lingered on my tongue even after I’d spoken it.

“Not really. I was just curious what you look like under that mask.” Her eyebrow shot up impishly, and though she couldn’t see it, I smiled.

“Few of those who have seen my face, still live.”

“Is it that bad?”

“Hmph…perhaps.” I bit back my amusement and set the bar aside.

“Now you have me even more curious.” She rubbed at her upper arms and tugged the cuffs of her dress over her knuckles.

“You’re cold…”

“Yes, my lord. I suppose you’ll want to get moving soon.”

“No. We’ll camp here for the night. I doubt we’d reach the wardpost by morning.”

“They’ll hurt you…”

“You would be better off with your own people.”

“But I’m your prisoner, I thought you were going to trade me for a general or something.”

I chuckled. “You have a high opinion of yourself…I’d thought perhaps a lieutenant or captain at best.”

“You need to aim higher then…I can’t be seen with some underachieving Sith.” She laughed and took the liberty of spreading the thermal blanket from my pack beside the rocks.

After collecting an armful of branches, I arranged them before us and set them alight through the Force. The flames crackled and shimmied skyward.

“Better, yes?”

She splayed her fingers before the fire and rubbed her hands. “Much better, my lord. Thank you.”

“Ares…”

“My lord?”

“My name…is Ares.”

“It suits you.” She smiled and we sat in silence for a long time. The cool night air fanned the flames higher until their comforting warmth enveloped the camp.

I stared into the blaze, searching the golden spears for visions or warnings, but saw only her face. The adoration in her eyes kindled a warmth in me that transcended the fire. For a few moments, I dared to consider what it would mean if I returned her to her people and what it would if I didn’t.

Could I give her up to another man?

Her fate would be no better with me—it would be worse. In time she would come to resent my absence and that I’d taken her from her family. I chastised myself for my foolish reverie and sighed. I looked up at the night sky as if admiring the foreign constellations would offer a solution or erase the notion entirely—but it didn’t. The idea of keeping her clung to me as stubbornly as the darkness.

“Ares…what are you thinking about?”

“Only how the stars shine more brightly here—one in particular,” I glanced at her and smiled before remembering she couldn’t see my face. And then I was thankful that she couldn’t. Heat rose under my mask and I frowned. I had no talent for flirtation.

She turned to face me better and nestled against my arm. “At home, I would sneak up to the rooftop at night to look at them. Master Rylister said a moon would steal their luster.”

The Jedi again. The mere mention of his name sobered me and left a bitter aftertaste. I was behaving the fool. I’d known the girl no more than a few hours and was already entertaining impractical whims. I decided it wasn’t privilege that fuelled the aristocracy’s entitlement, but an airborne disease carried in the mountain air, and now I had been infected as well.

“This Jedi…he would be there…with you?”

“Sometimes. On a clear night, I’d bring food and he’d bring his telescope. He’d tell me stories about all the worlds he’d visited and legends about their moons. I can’t even imagine—I’ve never seen a moon before, except in holos.”

“You’ve never been off world?”

Liaseph shook her head. “No—only the politicians travel, and of course the Jedi. Everyone else is too busy with all the infighting and scheming. Ballrooms are warzones, just as much as any battlefield. They forget everything else—until the war finds a way to remind them.”

“You speak as if you’re not like them…”

“I’m not. I’m terrible at pretending—I don’t hide my feelings well and I tend to blurt out exactly what I’m thinking…which is disastrous here. My sister is much better at it. Like my father says, she knows how to play the game—and because of that her prospects are better than mine.”

“And what of this man you’re betrothed to?”

She rolled her eyes. “He’s loud and self-absorbed and for someone with so much, he’s stingy and mean to his servants. It’s embarrassing. I’m ashamed to be anywhere near him. And I know this will sound terrible, but he chews like a nerf. I don’t think it’s possible for him to do anything quietly. Even dancing with him is like torture. You think my feet are in poor shape now…imagine after dancing with him at a ball.”

“Your father has much to gain if you marry him?”

“Our house would be restored to what it once was. Several houses owe my father money, but he’s too proud to demand repayment, so he carries their debt. We could only do that for so long before we had problems ourselves. Our home fell into disrepair and we couldn’t afford to keep company—it was shameful. To save face, he borrowed from House Baliss…they’ve amassed quite a fortune over the years. In creating a marriage bond between our families, his debt would evaporate—but that’s not enough, I’m expected to provide Malon with heirs…”

“And you find this duty repugnant?”

“With him? Yes.” Her lip twisted and her eyes hardened. I could sense her hatred expanding like an aging sun. She despised him and for a girl with no Force gifts, her hatred was inspiring. What a Sith she might have been…

“He wants to have an examining ceremony before our engagement…can you believe that?”

“Explain…I don’t know what that is.”

“Malon wants to ensure…that I’m a…” She licked her lips and her cheeks flushed a deep rose. “He wants proof that I’m—intact.”

“I see. And is that a problem?”

She swatted me. “I can’t believe you’d ask me that. I’m a lady.”

I chuckled. “And yet here we are talking about it.”

“It’s only a problem, in that I am.”

“There is a remedy…one I might be persuaded to provide,” I quipped.

“Might be?” She laughed. “You won’t even take off your mask. Besides, I’m not that kind of a girl.”

“And what would your father do, if you were found wanting?”

“I don’t know. I think he’d be livid…Could we talk about something else? I don’t want to think about it anymore. I’d rather hear about you. What’s it like where you’re from?”

“The capitol is surrounded by jungles filled with vicious creatures. It rains almost every day. Socially…it’s little different than here. I avoid socializing beyond the duties my work demands. I’m rarely on Dromund Kaas. I spend the majority of my time on the bridge of my ship.”

“It sounds lonely. What is it you do?”

“I defend the interests of the Empire…protect our worlds from incursion.”

“You’re a soldier then…”

“I suppose, in a manner of speaking, yes.”

“That’s probably why I feel so safe with you.” She clasped my arm and pointed at the sky. “See those stars,” she outlined the shape with her fingertip…that’s Avernal the Defender—the first king of Alderaan. Legend says he fought an entire army by himself to protect his family.”

“And did he succeed?”

“No…he was dying and couldn’t reach them in time.”

“What happened to them?”

“She and their children were killed by a traitor. Avernal became so angry that he made a bargain with Death—that if he were allowed to live long enough to avenge his family, he would wear Death’s cloak and wander the galaxy forever in his place. That smaller cluster of stars there…that’s Fenestra, his wife and those two are their children.”

“Did the Jedi tell you that?”

“No. My mother did—when I was little. It’s an opera now— The Sundering of Avernal and Fenestra. I’m surprised you haven’t heard of it.”

“What of your mother? Will she not intervene on your behalf?”

“If she were alive…”

“Forgive me.”

“You couldn’t have known. I miss her...” She gazed off into the distance and I trapped her tears between my fingers.

She looked up at me, dark eyes heavy with sleep. “Do you need me to help you keep watch?”

“No—you sleep.”

“You know something, Ares? I don’t think it matters…”

“What doesn’t?”

“What you look like underneath…” She pressed her lips against my mask and lingered there for a moment. “Good night, my lord.”

She settled on the thermal blanket with my supply pack for a pillow. I stood, still paralyzed by her words and the kiss I couldn’t feel. I followed her movements through the mirage above the fire, marvelling at the interplay of firelight and shadow dappling her skin. If pressed, I could not recall a more bewitching sight.

I turned away and looked to the stars, but they held no revelation for me, any more than the stream murmuring at my feet. When I was certain she slept, I stripped my armour to wash away the salts coating my body. I ate and drank and answered my body’s demands. I cleaned my armor and collected wood to feed the fire. Submitting to mundane chores often brought solutions in their wake, but not this time.

The night passed like a prison sentence. I tumbled into an abyss of stars and took up another man’s sword to fight a doomed cause. I bartered with death and donned an ebonizing cloak that devoured my presence until the final moment when I would reveal my face to the condemned.

Somewhere beyond my awareness flocks of birds nattered and someone called to me. The world shook and an annoying light chafed my eyes.

“Ares…wake up. Wake up…someone’s coming,” she hissed.

I scrambled to my feet and my hand hovered over the hilt of my lightsaber. She’d had the presence of mind to dash out the fire and collect our things. A thin fog lifted to meet the sunrise.

“Stay behind me.” I drew my weapon and reached out with the Force. The brush folded under the thrust of several approaching speeders and the regal purple banners of House Thul came into view. A dozen heavily armored battle droids flanked the party, weapons at the ready.

The man leading the party brought his speeder to a halt and signalled his party to do the same.

He dismounted and approached. “Darth Marr?

“Yes…”

“I am Lento Azar, Captain of the Guard, House Thul.” He bowed deeply. “We’re relieved to find you well, my lord. When you failed to arrive last night, Duke Bartok and Lord Umbros dispatched a scouting party. We found evidence of a crash beyond the guard path in the hive lands.”

“My shuttle experienced a technical malfunction and I was forced to land in hostile territory.” I returned my lightsaber to the holster on my left hip.

“Duke Bartok will be delighted to learn of your survival. And who stands with you, my lord?”

“My captive.”

She took a bold step forward. “I’m Liaseph Teraan…of the House Teraan, and Lady of the Alsakan Riverlands, daughter of Duke Cedon.”

“Cuff her…and see her to the dungeon upon our return to the palace,” Azar commanded his men.

She clung to my elbow. “Lord Marr?”

I raised my hand to stay her concern. “No need, Captain. She’s offered no resistance and will be treated as my guest, until further notice. She is to be offered the same hospitality as any respected visitor.”

“Of course, my Lord.”

“Your duke and I have urgent business and this delay has already cost us.”

“Understood my lord, if you’ll come with me, I’ll show you and your guest to your transport.”

A vessel roared above, the grasses swaying as it dropped in altitude to loom over us. A Jedi leapt from the craft, ice blue saber igniting upon his landing.

“Liaseph, thank the Force you’re alive.” He beckoned to her with an upturned palm.

A pair of troopers dropped to flank him, the rest of the squad queued to follow.

Her eyes grew large, but as the young Miralukan Jedi moved forward, she backed away.

The Jedi took another step closer. “I’ve been searching for you all night. Your father’s been worried sick—are you hurt?”

“No, I’m well. Thank you.”

“Come away from him…” The Jedi urged as he crept closer.

“That will do, Jedi.” I summoned my lightsaber and blocked his approach. “Take her away, Captain. Now!”

Azar seized her and his men and droids took aim.

“Don’t hurt him, he’s my friend!” Liaseph cried out, but whether she was speaking to the Jedi, or to me, was unclear.

The thrusters of the transport rumbled and faded as Azar put distance between us.

I swung my blade in challenge. “Master Rylister, I presume…”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

Love comes unbidden and at the most inconvenient times. I rather enjoy seeing Marr's discomfiture when dealing with the unfamiliar.

The following quote is very beautiful in its comparison to the opera, well done. :)

The night passed like a prison sentence. I tumbled into an abyss of stars and took up another man’s sword to fight a doomed cause. I bartered with death and donned an ebonizing cloak that devoured my presence until the final moment when I would reveal my face to the condemned.

The age old war of sith and jedi, will Marr kill him and will she forgive Marr if he does? Interesting.

Can't wait for more.:D

“I’ve just realized, we don’t even know each other’s names…I’m Liaseph…”

I tugged my hand free when I realized I enjoyed her touch too much and looked away. “My name is irrelevant.” I finished binding her feet and tossed the remnants of the gauze and kolto into my pack.

“Is that Lord or Darth Irrelevant?” She quipped.

I don't know why but I found this endlessly amusing. :D

The banter between Liaseph and Marr was wonderfully engaging. Their <3 is blooming very naturally.

It was an interesting and entertaining change of pace to see Marr out of his element when faced with those pesky romantic feelings.

Ack! Cliffhanger ending! Looking forward to the next chapter. :)

Love comes unbidden and at the most inconvenient times. I rather enjoy seeing Marr's discomfiture when dealing with the unfamiliar.

The following quote is very beautiful in its comparison to the opera, well done. :)

The age old war of sith and jedi, will Marr kill him and will she forgive Marr if he does? Interesting.

Can't wait for more.:D

That it does. It has a gift for showing up when and where you least expect it. Thank you :D I had fun with it too. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed that line, it seemed a fitting dream after that night. Again, thank you so much for the kind comment! ^^

I don't know why but I found this endlessly amusing. :D

The banter between Liaseph and Marr was wonderfully engaging. Their <3 is blooming very naturally.

It was an interesting and entertaining change of pace to see Marr out of his element when faced with those pesky romantic feelings.

Ack! Cliffhanger ending! Looking forward to the next chapter. :)

It's funny, how we all get our favorite lines in things. I'm glad you enjoyed their exchanges. At times they were fun, and other times, I had to work hard at it lol. I'm glad it came off as funny, because I've never felt like I write 'funny' very well. I'm also happy that their love seems to be coming along naturally, it's always a worry if something is too instant or too much at once and our man Marr really does feel out of his element with romance. :)

My personal favorite lines were these, because I can totally imagine and hear his deadpan sense of humour.

“You’re not at all what I expected,” she murmured. “I was taught the Sith are callous and cruel.”

“I was taught the same about Alderaanian nobility.”

Marr

~Chapter Fifteen~

Restraint is not weakness, but mastery over our basest urges.

The troop carrier landed on the swaying grass, kicking up whorls of silt from along the stream banks. Republic troopers bustled into position, their weapons at the ready—a mirror image of House Thul’s forces.

The Jedi raised his hand to stay his troops. “Hold your fire. I wish to speak to you, Sith. Perhaps we can settle this peacefully through negotiation.”

He retracted his lightsaber, and for the time being, I matched his gesture and folded my arms.

“Then speak.”

“You know my name—to whom am I speaking?”

“Who I am, will not affect the outcome. Say what you must, there are limits to my patience.”

“Surely you can see she’s only a girl and is of no tactical advantage to you.”

“And yet, you expect me to believe a girl of so little worth, warrants a Jedi Master championing her release. She would be dead if not for my intervention.”

“Yes, and for that, I’m grateful. I saw the Killiks and their shattered hives. I’ve served House Teraan for several years. Liaseph is a trusting girl and because you rescued her, she thinks of you as her friend.”

“Then she is deluded. I have no interest in being her friend.”

“Of course you don’t—I sense the truth in your words. You want something more. Name your terms…perhaps a ransom.”

“You’ve been among nobility for too long if you believe credits are the answer.”

“Her father is sick with worry.”

“Hmph, I’m sure he is.”

“Then perhaps an exchange. The Organas have several prisoners in custody. I can negotiate with them. All I want is the girl safely returned to her family.”

“A family she chose to flee in favour of death or capture—what does it say about them, that she prefers to be my prisoner? What does it say, that they are not here, but you are?”

“I don’t know what you’re implying, Sith. I’m a Jedi master and paladin to House Teraan. As such, I would like to resolve this peacefully—and in such a way that your superiors would approve.”

“Hmph. My superiors,” I scoffed. “Unless you mean to petition the Emperor himself, we are finished here.”

“I’m warning you, Sith.”

“You’re warning me?” I chuckled, the sound low and cold in the back of my throat.

“You will release the girl and leave us in peace.”

The Jedi’s words tumbled over a subtle flourish of fingers. The gesture in itself was easy to miss, but the wheedling suggestion that accompanied it was meant to bore into the mind and twist the will.

“A desperate and foolhardy attempt on your part…” I snarled. At my bidding, the darkness rose from the ground, its coiling tendrils constricting the Jedi and his men where they stood. The troopers clawed at their throats, writhing for the want of air and when the clatter of their armored limbs stilled, I released them.

The Jedi hovered before me and I loosened my grip.

“You didn’t have to kill those men,” he choked out.

“It was your lack of respect that killed them.”

The darkness roiled around me, its whispers craving for the Jedi’s death.

A faint silvery glow escaped the edges of the Miraluka’s visor as he turned his Force vision on me. “I see nothing but a void, when I look at you…such intense and refined hatred. What have you done to yourself? You’ve sacrificed your humanity…for this…curse.”

“Your prattle means nothing to me, Jedi.”

“I’ve underestimated you, Sith. Take me as your hostage…but release the girl. Surely some spark of decency still exists within you…why else would you save her?”

“My motives are my own. We are finished.”

“You may kill me, but she will be freed, one way or another. This isn’t the last of it.”

“No, I don’t expect it will be.” I seized the air in my fist and tightened my grip until he lost consciousness.

The Jedi landed in a heap at my feet and after considering my rival’s selflessness, I turned my back to him and returned to the remainder of Azar’s men. Cowed by the darkness, they parted to allow me past them, their mouths gaping.

I claimed one of their speeders and mounted it.

“Report to your Captain for debriefing and new orders. Dismissed.”

After giving the men a head start, I set off for Thul palace in Kaamos Territory.

The better part of the day was lost to travel. By the time I arrived at Kaamos, the sun hung low on the horizon, most of it already swallowed by the mountains. The uppermost spires of Thul palace appeared to be dipped in gold, while the rest, untouched by the sun, were the lackluster grey of an aged blaster. Even the sun understood the nature of nobility—vulgar beings masquerading as something more with their gilded finery.

This moment solidified what I had always suspected—character is not forged through wealth and privilege but through hardship and trial. Every man should be at their best when they want for nothing, but from my brief time on this world, it seemed there were lessons the nobility still needed to learn.

I set aside my fatigued musings and ascended the endless steps leading to the grand hall within the palace.

Massive marble columns held up the painted vaulted ceilings like labourers, while rows of aurodium seraphs flanked the red carpet road leading to the throne. The great hall had one goal—to inspire and intimidate its visitors with the power of wealth and I am loathe to admit, that for a few moments, I looked upon these trappings like the slave I had once been.

I strode forward, thankful my awed reaction remained well hidden behind the placid indifference of the durasteel guarding my face.

Captain Azar met me half way to the throne and bowed. “My Lord, I trust your travels were free of any further incident?”

“They were…but surely there must be a more efficient means of travelling such distances…”

“Oh, but there is my lord—we rely heavily on our stable of thrantas. Fast, silent and direct—an ideal means of transportation. We hope to phase out speeders for all but local transit within the next five years. Duke Bartok has created an extensive breeding program—he hopes one day to use them in military applications—an air force if you will. That alone should give us an edge over the Organas.”

“An admirable objective—aerial strikes would be most advantageous here.”

“I think you and Duke Bartok will find you have a great deal in common. May I announce you now?”

“By all means.” I indicated he continue with an upturned palm.

The Captain paused to whisper to the Herald of Arms. A moment later, a quartet of men donning red and purple tabards flanked the Herald. An ensemble of Alderaanian flutes issued a brief musical burst.

The Herald marched into position before us. “Darth Marr of the Dark Council, may I introduce The Duke of Kaamos, His Grace, Bartok Thul.”

“Lord Marr, a pleasure to make your acquaintance at last. Welcome to House Thul.”

“Thank you.” I bowed my head slightly in deference.

“I see you’re acquainted with my Captain of the Guard. He informed me of the incidents bedeviling your arrival.”

“I regret the delay.”

“No more than I. And may I also introduce Lord Umbros, apprentice to a colleague of yours, Darth Ravage. He’s been most helpful during our restoration. It wouldn’t have been possible without the aid of our Empire.”

Lord Umbros nodded, but the sharp glint in his yellow eyes suggested annoyance at my presence and perceived interference. “My lord…welcome,” he bit out.

The apprentice struck me as being every bit as petty and brusque as his master.

“The alliance we forge here is imperative—and to forge this bond, it is of the utmost importance we understand each other.”

“I could have kept you apprised of the climate without the necessity of your presence here,” Umbros clipped.

“Some matters are better tended personally.”

“I do hope you’ll be joining us for dinner and in the ballroom after. My wife, Lady Kalana has quite outdone herself,” Duke Bartok announced.

“Thank you, but I must decline. Another time perhaps. Kindly extend my regrets to Her Grace.”

“A pity our guest of honour will be absent, but understandable, given your arduous journey. I regret our son Kendoh is away, but young men of sport won’t be denied the annual hunt. I would have liked for you to meet him.”

“Likewise.”

“I’ll have supper sent to your rooms. And if you do have a change of heart, know that you are most welcome.”

I canted my head slightly. “Before I take my leave, what of my captive?”

“Ah yes, Lady Teraan. You will find her sequestered in the room neighbouring your suite. My wife had her tended by her personal Lady’s maid, as per the request you made to Captain Azar. If you’ll accompany my man Geruss,” the duke indicated his servant, “he’ll show you to your rooms, my lord. Rest well.”

“Indeed, we have much to discuss tomorrow.”

“I look forward to it, Lord Marr.”

Time did not pass quickly here. Bathing, grooming, and dining barely consumed an hour and though every luxury imaginable was within easy reach, I grew restless. After half-heartedly perusing the biblio and holo selections available for my entertainment, I sloughed the night clothing the servants had provided and dressed.

Perhaps foregoing the dinner and ball had been a mistake and for a moment I entertained joining the festivities—but if I were honest…I didn’t wish to spend my time with many—only one.

Despite my best efforts to put the girl from my thoughts, snippets of the previous night haunted me until I found myself edging the door open to her rooms.

I stood in the doorway, not daring to venture any further. The sudden urge to return to my rooms, unseen and undiscovered was almost overpowering, and then I saw her.

She stood on the balcony, dressed in Thul colours—shades of purple and red mingling into a darker shade I couldn’t name. Her hair had been freshly coiled and braided, a single plait dangling over her exposed back. Mindlessly she paced and stared out into the night, wringing the shawl in her hands until it resembled a coarse rope.

As if sensing she was no longer alone, she whirled around. My breath caught and I was struck speechless. Her cheeks flushed and her eyes danced.

“You’re alive!” She tossed aside the tortured shawl and raced toward me, but before reaching me, she stopped as if she’d struck an invisible barrier. “Master Rylister…does this mean that he’s…that he’s…” Her lower lip quaked.

“Your Jedi will recover.”

“Thank you. He didn’t hurt you, though, did he?”

I glanced about the room, careful to avoid her face. The room was sumptuously appointed and had every amenity she could want for. The small table in the corner held the remainder of her meal but hadn’t been cleared yet. “I shouldn’t have come.” I turned away to leave.

“Ares—wait—please don’t go. Stay and talk with me for a while?”

I nodded but remained rooted inside the doorway. “I don’t know what there is to discuss.”

“I wanted to thank you…Master Rylister means well, but I can’t go back home. After this, I’ll be even more the prisoner there…than here. The Thul’s have been very gracious to me. Her Grace, Lady Kalana even paid me a personal visit—she gave me this dress as a gift—she thought I might wear it to the ball tonight. Do you like it?” She spun around—the near translucent material fanning around her in an elegant spiral.

“I’m pleased that you’ve been treated well, but you can’t remain here indefinitely,” I observed.

She moved past me and closed the door. “Come in. I won’t bite. Even if I did, I doubt it would get through all this,” she ran her fingertips down my arm and laughed brightly.

My lip edged up under my mask and I obeyed. “Why didn’t you go to the ball—you seem the sort to enjoy such a festivity?”

“I couldn’t. How could I? I’ve been on tenterhooks the whole day. I’ve been watching, waiting for word. I can’t tell you how relieved I was when I saw you standing there.”

“Liaseph…”

“What is it? Is something troubling you?” She approached me, easily and without fear and clasped my hands.

“A great deal troubles me…”

“Will you tell me? I can be a good listener if I set my mind to it.”

I shook my head, reluctant to speak my mind, perhaps for the first time in my life—for fear of what the answers might mean. The truth is seldom kind, but I was unable to leave it be. “What do you see happening here…”

“I don’t know what you mean? You’re starting to worry me.”

My hands closed around hers. “You should be worried…you should be more than worried. You should be afraid.”

“I could never be afraid of you, Ares…I’ve never met anyone like you. You’re brave, kind…honourable…strong.”

“You don’t know me. You’ve idealized who I am and what I am is Sith—more than Sith. If you knew all I was capable of and what I’ve done…and would do—you would flee.” I hurled my arm toward the door.

“I don’t care—I know how you’ve treated me. You respected me…more than my own family ever has. You spared Master Rylister because I asked you to. That’s more than anyone has ever done for me. In a world…where I don’t…where I don’t matter, have never mattered, you’ve given me everything.”

“I should’ve killed the Jedi—if for no other reason than to wipe his name from your lips and this foolishness from your heart,” I snarled.

“You are in a position to do whatever you want…but you haven’t. Because you respect me. Unless it’s because you don’t find me attractive…” She pretended to muse aloud.

“Don’t toy with me. This is not a game, Liaseph!”

“Please don’t be angry with me. Do you want to know why I didn’t go to the ball? It’s because I was waiting for you. I hoped you would come back. I wore this…for you.”

I stood, still and silent as if she’d slapped me. “Do you want to leave this world so badly, that you would seduce me? That you would give yourself to some faceless killer?” I whispered.

She backed away as if I’d struck her. “Is that what you think I’m doing? I wanted to get to know you…you make me feel things, I’ve never felt and may never feel again.”

“Consider my position…what would you think. Do you not see how it might seem? You wish to leave this place…and I—I am your only prospect for doing so.”

“For someone so strong…you think little of yourself. I see why you wear all this…regalia. Especially that damn mask.” She threw her arms up and the burgeoning tears in her eyes escaped the dam of lashes holding them back. “You hide behind it. You don’t want to let anyone in. You’re the mighty Sith lord…better than us mere mortals, because you can hide. I can’t…I only wish I could.”

She turned away and stared out at the night, the gauzy sheer draperies wafting in the breeze around her.

I stood on a precipice. Disaster waited for me no matter which direction I chose. I approached her and clasped her shoulders. “Liaseph…”

She shrugged free of my hold. “Do your prisoner exchange. Send me back to my father. The only way I can prove my sincerity is to ask you to leave.”

Visions of another bedding her against her will came unbidden—along with the consequences that would come with forced intimacy…I shook my head, hoping to chase the vision of a freedom bought with a bloody finality. I wanted her for myself. That was the answer. I would take her for myself…but only after she understood what it meant.

“It’s not the only way…” I sighed. “I sense the truth in your words.”

She turned around slowly. “What does that mean?”

“It means…I don’t want to return you. I would free you from this. But what I offer is no improvement. You have no understanding of what a life with me would be like. You would be lonely. You would dwell in uncertainty—never knowing if I would return to your side. Whether battle or an enemy claimed my life. You would be in danger simply because of your association with me.”

“I don’t care about any of that. I don’t need anyone else, just you. I would be happy...and I would wait for you. I would make a world all our own—we need no one else.”

I brushed my fingertips over her lips to hush her. “Let me finish. You are young—far younger than I. I know the ways of the world—and you…you are only learning. As I told you...I’ve sworn my life to protect the Empire…we’d rarely be together—and no matter your feelings toward your friends and family now…after a time you would realize that I took you from them because make no mistake, there is a finality that comes with your decision. You will never again see your father, or your sister or the Jedi. That is the price to be paid—there is no turning back. Do you understand?”

“I do…”

She reached up and traced the grooves etched into my mask and cupped my cheek. I set my hand over hers and held it there.

“Will you help me take this off? I want to see you,” she murmured.

I led her hands to the fastenings. With nimble fingers, she unlocked the frontispiece and I turned away to remove the mask and helmet.

“Cover your eyes.”

“They’re covered. I promise I won’t peek. But if you look like a ginx, it’s over.”

I laughed. “I thought it didn’t matter…”

She smirked. “I suppose I can always ask you to put it back on.”

I set the pieces aside and shook out my hair. Some time had passed since I’d cut it last and it hung past my jaw in messy waves. I took her wrists and drew her hands away from her face. “Open your eyes, Liaseph. Look at me.”

Her gaze fixed solidly on mine and my lip twitched up with an uncertain smile. “Do you approve?”

She grazed the stubble along my jaw with the pads of her fingers and beamed. “You’ll do nicely,” she teased.

I caught her wrist and held her in place for a moment—long enough to make her wonder what I might do next, and when I saw a glimmer of uncertainty in her eyes, I pulled her body against mine.

“Your eyes,” she managed. “They’re so blue…”

I brushed my lips against hers, testing for a kiss and when she matched it with a gentle seeking of her own, I claimed her mouth fully and deeply. She burned and writhed like a flame in my arms.

We drew apart only when breathing became a priority again and I caressed the swell of her cheek with my thumb. I sensed her nervousness through the Force and through the involuntary quivering of her body against mine. “Do you need more time to think?”

She shook her head. “No…I’ve decided. We’ll leave here together, yes?”

I nodded. “Tell me then…now that I’ve removed my mask…are you still a lady?” I favoured her with a wolfish gaze, all too keenly aware of the bed’s proximity and the stirrings she’d inflamed.

“Not anymore. I’m yours.”

((to be continued…))

It seems to me that Marr thinks of Liaseph as a refuge just as much as she considers him the same. Love has blossomed from much less noble reasons. It is nice to see him find comfort and (dare I say)happiness, for as long as it will last. The sith world does not often foster nor nourish such feelings.

Good for her, ladies are so darned boring. ;)

Great chapter, looking forward to the next. :)

Edited by MishaCantu