Marr

Lunafox

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Four~

Our mistakes define us; they are the foundation upon which all else is built, and should we fail to learn from them, we are doomed to repeating them until we do.

I boarded the shuttle for Dromund Kaas the day following my ninth birthday.

At the shuttle depot, my mother fussed with the coarse weave tunic she’d made for my departure, while my father inspected the contents of my ruck sack to ensure I hadn’t forgotten anything.

The departure carillon rang out and after a final embrace I strode up the boarding ramp. I stopped to look back at them and waved good-bye.

Together they stood, arm in arm on the platform, stoic and smiling. Outward appearances suggested that this was the greatest day of our lives, but this peculiar sensitivity I’d inherited told me otherwise. They hoped for my return but didn’t expect it. They mourned me as if I were already dead, but felt compelled to promise the next time I’d see them, it would be as a Sith.

I took a seat by the window. The tinted glass allowed me to see them, but it was unlikely they could see me. The moment I was out of sight they collapsed into each other. My mother sobbed into my father’s shoulder and I felt her heartache and remorse. I felt her regret. For as long as I could remember, she had told me that I was her world. No son, whether chosen or through blood, could expect more devotion than she had given me.

My failure to believe I could so utterly fill another’s world would be a failing that would dog me for the rest of my life, but at this moment, I understood and I believed. Her world had ended and with that despair came the understanding that her choice, for good or ill, could not be rescinded—that no matter how indirect her part had been, she had committed herself to being the benefactor or executioner of the one person she held most dear.

My father patted her back with a tepid rhythm, the motion matching the helpless look on his face, that suggested he had no clue how to console her. I wept for them both.

The academy demanded nine years of my life. The notion that I would not see my parents again for almost a decade was unfathomable, but I would soon learn that time was the least precious thing I would be expected to give up in my quest to learn the art of being Sith.

Much could happen in that time—things I was afraid to dwell upon. Would my parents be safe? Would they remember me? Would I remember them? Would I still want to?

I had heard many Sith abandon their Force-blind parents as if consorting with them would somehow diminish their power. I believed in loyalty and family. Was it possible for a school to exorcise the ideals I clung to? The prospect worried me. Would I even be aware of it, after such an absence?

Why had I agreed to this at all? Why would I want to be Sith?

Many advantages came with being Sith. I would have the power to help my family escape those who would exploit them. I would have the means to provide a proper home filled with loyal slaves and guards who would see to their every comfort in their waning years. They had saved me, and it was my intention to return that kindness.

The idea consoled me until it solidified into a goal. I would dedicate myself to my studies and achieve the most important station any Sith could attain. To make sure I never wavered in this hope, I reminded myself of it in my quieter moments. I visualized the man I wanted to be—I saw the trappings that came with being that man. I would be Sith for my family.

No matter what the academy demanded of me, I would be as fixed as a mountain forged in prehistory.

The shuttle lifted into the sky and my parents shrank until they were nothing more than two tiny stitches in the planet’s fabric.

Four days later, we had arrived. The dig site on Krayiss with its surrounding tent city and towering cliffs had impressed me. I felt small when I stood back to admire it—but I had never felt so humbled as when I emerged from the shuttle to take my first steps on Dromund Kaas.

I gawped at the monumental black spires, the tips obscured by cloud cover. Each building seemed to dare the flashing lightning to strike. Kaas City’s skyline rivaled any sunset I’d ever seen. When I looked over the side of the platform the roots of the buildings seemingly bored into the world’s core.

The rain pelted my face and I made a game of tasting as many drops as I could. They were cold and refreshing after the long shuttle ride.

A ruddy-faced boy followed me down the ramp and imitated my game. He laughed. “Bet I can catch more than you!”

He had boarded when the shuttle stopped to refuel at Hibernicus station.

“You’ll drown if you do that long enough,” the shuttle pilot taunted as he passed by.

I must have looked at him in such a way that compelled him to explain he was joking. I didn’t laugh, and I heard him mutter something to the effect of, ‘lighten up kid.’

We wandered the courtyard in front of the Sith Academy like stray nerfs. I stood with the slave born potentials and learned that the Sith born had arrived three days earlier. I caught a glimpse of my rival, Taiga Corsin strutting the grounds with his uniform and practice blade. He made a point of stopping to stare at the rag-tag band of slave borns that had arrived with me.

His entourage followed and consisted of his cronies from Krayiss as well as a few new ones he’d picked up since his arrival. They fawned over him like he was the lead singer of some holo-band. My lip furled. I hadn’t missed their presence on the trip, but I did wonder what had become of them.

“Look everyone—they’ve brought in live practice dummies for us. Dibs on that one…” Taiga called out, pointing at me. His groupies laughed and my right hand opened and closed, keen to feel the weight of the concealed saber up my sleeve. A voice—a man’s voice—whispered in my mind, “Not yet,” and I stayed my hand.

I folded my arms and glared at Taiga as if he were no more than a maggot.

Unsettled by my calm, he retreated into his entourage of uniformed raptors. As they were leaving, an aide broke their formation and took Taiga aside, while the rest dispersed. I glanced away, and the next moment Taiga and the woman had both disappeared.

“If you don’t gut that idiot, I will,” the boy behind me snarled.

Startled, I turned around and looked at him. He stared at me with bright yellow eyes that reminded me of Lord Corsin’s. Short bristled hair shadowed his skull and two dark veins bulged at his temples. I had heard whispers that he was adopted, like me, except his father worked for the Imperial Science Bureau as a biologist.

A tall shadow fell over us—that of the Overseer. He wore simple black-hooded robes and I guessed he was no older than twenty-five.

“That’s enough out of you, Veradun,” the Overseer spoke, his voice barely a whisper. He eyed me with a strange curiosity—the sort of look one gets when trying to decide if they know you or not. He stared down at his data pad and I guessed he was taking attendance.

The ruddy-faced boy from the station crept up next to me and whispered behind his hand. “I heard Veradun killed his father’s Twi’lek slave girl. Have you ever killed anyone before? I haven’t. Yet.”

The memory of the Trandoshan’s dead eyes flashed in my mind, but I couldn’t find the will to answer the boy. Bragging was something Taiga Corsin did, and I resolved long ago, that I wanted to be nothing like him. I could’ve killed a hundred Trandoshans but I would never boast of it.

Veradun glared at me, but then it seemed he glared at everyone and I wondered what sort of monster would kill a slave girl. I answered my own question—he was the sort that wanted to dominate everything and everyone. He was hostility personified and I doubted I would ever see eye to eye with him on any matter. I said nothing but instead took the measure of the other hopefuls. Most seemed distracted, excited or scared.

“You don’t say much, do you? I’m Gorton.” The boy thrust his hand at me, and I stared at it for a moment before grudgingly taking it.

“Ares.”

The Overseer crossed his arms. “You’d be wise to follow his example Gorton, or I’ll remove your tongue myself. Now listen up, I am Overseer Silthar. While you’re here, you will answer to me. I will assign your trials once and only once. If you are too stupid or distracted to hear me the first time, the jungle is that way,” he said, index finger jutting toward the west. “Perhaps you’ll be of more use in some beast’s belly or as the dung heap it leaves behind. You first trial is encrypted on your personal data pad in your quarters. The matron inside will show you the facilities. Dismissed.”

As I turned to leave, a firm grip caught my shoulder. “Except you.”

“Overseer?”

“You’re with me.”

I nodded and trailed behind the man at his elbow until we reached his office.

It occurred to me that perhaps I had been judged inadequate already or that they had reconsidered my admission to the Academy. Once inside, the doors slid shut behind us, and I stood at attention before the Overseer’s desk.

Silthar sat behind his desk and folded his hands before him. “Ares Marr…I received a transmission this morning…and it is my sad duty to inform you, that your parents Lish and Ailan Marr were killed the day before yesterday.”

My knees gave and I sat down hard in the chair behind me. We sat in silence until I worked up the courage to speak.

“What happened to them, sir?”

“Your mother and Lord Corsin were murdered…and your father was executed for their murders shortly after by camp authorities.”

“But my father—he couldn’t kill anyone…He just couldn’t.”

“I know. Regrettably, it was discovered too late, that the perpetrator was actually a bounty hunter—a human female. Security camera footage exonerated your father’s role in their deaths. Their effects will be shipped to you on the next supply shuttle.”

“They’ll never get to see me become Sith. I wanted this…for them.” My voice quavered and my vision grew thick and bleary. My knuckles cracked as my fists tightened. “I want the security footage. I want to go home…I need to see for myself.”

“It may be possible to secure a copy of the footage. I can understand your need to know and your desire to avenge them…however returning to Krayiss Two is impossible.”

“With Lord Corsin dead…I’ll be expelled. He was my patron. It’s because of him…that I’m here to learn the art of being Sith.”

“My boy...you use such unusual terms. What is it you think you’ll be taught here?”

“How to use a lightsaber…how to study artifacts and find them. How to rule and govern over worlds.”

Silthar laughed. “Forgive me…but you’ve been woefully misled. There is no artistry in death, except in the abstract. You are not here to govern or rule or dig in the dirt for trinkets…you are here to become a killer…a warrior. Your art is in bloodshed. You fight for the Empire, you die for the Empire.” He snatched the air with his fist and shook it. “Take these words to heart, they are your first and most important lesson. Peace is a lie; there is only passion. Through passion you gain strength; through strength, you gain power, through power, victory and through victory, your chains are broken.”

“Why can’t I be like Lord Corsin and study archaeology…or like you? Your office is full of ancient artifacts. How many holocrons do you have on your walls? I see at least thirty…and your weapons…under the glass there. Or the scrolls in your shelves. My father showed me things like this on Krayiss…a Sith should know their secrets. My father said, that only through history do we know who we are.”

“You are…an unusual boy, Ares. I wouldn’t have expected such passion about antiquities from someone so young. It’s rather inspiring. Most of the students your age and older are more excited by their practice sabers and combat than by knowledge. Scholars are few and far between here.” His brow furrowed. “You remind me of a man I once knew…he taught me a great many things.”

“Who was he? Was it Tulak Hord?”

“How curious…but no, not him. A story for another time perhaps. Let me assure you; you will not be expelled. I suggest you find your way to your quarters and begin decrypting the instructions for your trial. The others will have an advantage over you. When I learn more about your parents, I’ll summon you. Dismissed. Oh, and one more thing…I would advise you to keep your grief to yourself…there are those who would exploit it.”

I nodded and left Silthar’s office. No sooner had I rounded the corner, a great blur pounced on me, fists flying. My back connected with the wall and my throat grew hot and narrow. I sputtered unable to breathe. To break the connection, I brought my knee up against his gut. My attacker stumbled backward before coming at me again. It was only at this moment that his identity registered.

“I’m going to kill you, Marr. Your filthy wh.ore mother got my father killed! I should’ve killed you when I had the chance. My father is dead because of you!” Taiga snarled.

“Get off me!” I butted my head against his hard enough that my sight pr.ick.led with bright yellow stars and I felt sick.

Taiga drew his practice saber and raised it to strike. “Time to die you worthless piece of—”

The voice in my mind hissed, “Do it now!”

My lightsaber came alive in my hand and with one deft slice, Taiga’s eyes grew wide. He stumbled backward. It wasn’t until he moved that I realized the full measure of what I’d done. His torso fell first and then the rest.

Red as the blood seeping from Taiga’s body, my lightsaber growled and sputtered. I stared down at the heap at my feet and felt a presence behind me.

“That lightsaber…” Overseer Silthar hissed. “Where did you get it?”

“It’s mine…it belonged to my father…”

“Come with me. Quickly! There is no time to lose.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

How poignant. He continues to have the brutalities of life forced upon him and my heart does go out to this young man. I await hearing what the overseer knows about his lineage or at least his suspicions and wonder if Marr truly does have anyone at all in his camp. Can't wait for the next.

First things first, response responses in a particular order!

-Generations was a very good film, yes!

-The scene is right after Durotan and Draka go through the Dark Portal.

-Ohh yea, I remember Liatrix having that issue with the birth of Sephna (who also, as I recall, was also a bit premature).

-Of course it is impossible to tell of rewrites through the final product, but I most excellently enjoy Marr and the way you have structured it.

-Sith lightning in the movies always was quite a bit more blue than it is in the comics or books or video games, isn't it? In Episode III when Mace Windu and Palpatine duel his lightning is blue like in ROTJ (although considerably better rendered), and even Dooku's Force lightning in Episode II was bright blue.

-I was referring to the games, actually; the first and third in the trilogy. I haven't seen the movies at all.

-Reasons for being Jedi-like I should like dearly like to know! :p

-I might have to try that centering thing for my own story. when I post the next chapter on Tuesday (you know, once I start writing it >.>)

-Lord Abaron, rather than Abbadon. That guy is going to be some fun, haha ;)

-lol, I do that a lot too... although I haven't really used anything I've found yet, except the wood types for that one scene. (Did you know every Moff in the Sith empire except the random one that the Smuggler kills is male, according to Wookieepedia? And every Admiral too, except for Zasha "The real Butcher of Coruscant" Ranken. Why, I think there's a bit of a problem there.)

-Star Wars Hogwarts...? Sithwarts!

Commentarii for the new chapter! yay!

Quartum Caput

-There’s a certain kind of extra bittersweet here with the way Marr’s foster parents are being the “mourning” ones and then the story just stabs you in the feels with the irony.

-On the other hand, it’s not wrong. I mean… with the two of them dying, the next time Marr “meets” them is as a Sith.

-But neither are Lish and Ailan incorrect; every train that leaves a prairie town is rolling on a one way track, as the song goes. Or, more accurately: every train that leaves for Sithy towns. They know most people that go to the Academy just aren’t coming home, and of course they fear the worst. Where again, there’s a certain cruel irony to be had.

-I’m not the first to point this out, but of course it is a terrifying notion: “time was the least precious thing I would be expected to give up…”

-It’s very interesting to see that Marr makes his decision this early regarding the Council. At nine years old he probably doesn’t even understand what the Dark Council is, but by all the gods above and below, he’s going to sit on it. And also a very curious thing – Marr’s Sphere is Defense of the Empire, and I really enjoy how you give some backstory into why.

-This last visual is very teary also; we later learn that his parents have been killed. So yes indeed are they naught but part of the planet’s fabric now. :(

-There’s a tiny amount of amusing irony in an Imperial officer telling a child to lighten up.

-I wonder whether it is coincidence or not that you named Lord Corsin’s child after a subarctic climate zone.

-As a point of grammatical contention, perhaps it is just me but I find it weird that the emphasis is on the “one” (being child-Marr) rather than the emphasis being on the demonstrative “that.”

-My but that hand flexing starts early. I wonder a bit if it didn’t start even earlier and I just didn’t notice.

-I wonder whose voice that is. There are several contenders.

-Twi’leks have it rough in Star Wars, don’t they? I wonder would the Empire have twi’lek slaves prior to their invasion in 3681BBY, though? At this time period, Ryloth was technically part of the Republic, but the puppetmasters are the Hutts. Would the Cartel know of the Empire and just… conveniently forget to tell the Republic all the time?

-Is this Overseer Silthar the same Darth Silthar of heading the Imperial Reclamation Service branch on Tatooine?

-I can’t help but notice that an aide pulls away Taiga and the overseer singles out Marr. I can’t help but mull over the implications… is there just a little bit of an insinuation here that acolyte rivalries might sometimes be orchestrated?

-I don’t doubt that we’ll see this bounty hunter again… but she will be too dead to see us back.

-Regardless, such a tragedy. And of course the commentary on the “smite first, ask questions later” nature of Imperial justice that if someone had even slightly paid any attention to facts Ailan wouldn’t be dead.

-I wonder now if we’ll ever come back to Krayiss II.

-Given the descriptions of Overseer Silthar’s office, I have no doubt that the two are one and the same.

-A man he once knew? Marr’s blood father, perhaps?

-It’s awkwardly amusing how Marr doesn’t actually know anything of Tulak Hord beyond the name (and it parallels both his parents’ and the reader’s knowledge of Darth Taxon). He only died two and a half millennia ago, Marr. I doubt he told Silthar things. :p

-Is Taiga trying to Force choke Marr here or literal choke? It’s very difficult to tell.

-You know I do think Silthar knew Marr’s blood father given his reaction. Not “**** son you’re not allowed to kill other acolytes!” but “**** son time to get our butts in gear!” But this then also begs the question – why was he not killed too?

Me in blue. :)

First things first, response responses in a particular order!

-Generations was a very good film, yes!

-The scene is right after Durotan and Draka go through the Dark Portal. Ok cool, now I'll know what to watch for. Thanks :D

-Ohh yea, I remember Liatrix having that issue with the birth of Sephna (who also, as I recall, was also a bit premature).

-Of course it is impossible to tell of rewrites through the final product, but I most excellently enjoy Marr and the way you have structured it. I'm glad. *beams* Hearing that makes it all worthwhile. :D

-Sith lightning in the movies always was quite a bit more blue than it is in the comics or books or video games, isn't it? In Episode III when Mace Windu and Palpatine duel his lightning is blue like in ROTJ (although considerably better rendered), and even Dooku's Force lightning in Episode II was bright blue. I remember being surprised when the game lightning was more purple, but it still works and isn't quite as Marysuish as black lol.

-I was referring to the games, actually; the first and third in the trilogy. I haven't seen the movies at all. Ah okay, cause I just saw the movie. I do own the first game, I bought it on sale, but it never worked on my pc, so I ended up giving up on it. Have the same problem with KoToR games too.

-Reasons for being Jedi-like I should like dearly like to know! :pAnd you will!

-I might have to try that centering thing for my own story. when I post the next chapter on Tuesday (you know, once I start writing it >.>) Give it a shot, as I said, it's easiet if you use the "align center" icon, that you'll see just above the post box, where you compose your post. Top left, second one over.

-Lord Abaron, rather than Abbadon. That guy is going to be some fun, haha ;)Bah, I always get that name messed up and I was too lazy to log in and verify it...that's the guy though :D

-lol, I do that a lot too... although I haven't really used anything I've found yet, except the wood types for that one scene. (Did you know every Moff in the Sith empire except the random one that the Smuggler kills is male, according to Wookieepedia? And every Admiral too, except for Zasha "The real Butcher of Coruscant" Ranken. Why, I think there's a bit of a problem there.) Yeah, I can see the need for a girl moff or two, it's one reason I made Captain Zimmer in SvS.

-Star Wars Hogwarts...? Sithwarts! Haha :D Another friend of mine thought, 'oh hey Taiga is going to be like Draco...oops nvm lol'. She didn't expect me to bump him off that quick lol.

Commentarii for the new chapter! yay!

Quartum Caput Thanks again for the wonderful well thought out responses. I'm so grateful for them. ^^

-There’s a certain kind of extra bittersweet here with the way Marr’s foster parents are being the “mourning” ones and then the story just stabs you in the feels with the irony. I was pretty proud of this chapter but did worry if I'm getting to be too much of a downer...thats the danger of letting a chronically depressed person write fanfic. :)

-On the other hand, it’s not wrong. I mean… with the two of them dying, the next time Marr “meets” them is as a Sith.

-But neither are Lish and Ailan incorrect; every train that leaves a prairie town is rolling on a one way track, as the song goes. Or, more accurately: every train that leaves for Sithy towns. They know most people that go to the Academy just aren’t coming home, and of course they fear the worst. Where again, there’s a certain cruel irony to be had. It really was cruel, but then I suppose sometimes life can be like that. :/

-I’m not the first to point this out, but of course it is a terrifying notion: “time was the least precious thing I would be expected to give up…” It is a terrifying thought, and one I've been mulling over for quite a while.

-It’s very interesting to see that Marr makes his decision this early regarding the Council. At nine years old he probably doesn’t even understand what the Dark Council is, but by all the gods above and below, he’s going to sit on it. And also a very curious thing – Marr’s Sphere is Defense of the Empire, and I really enjoy how you give some backstory into why. It's a bit like reverse engineering a person...seeing how they are and then trying to figure out how they became that way. I enjoy the psychology of it. No idea if I'm right, but it's interesting for me, and hopefully for my friends who read it too.

-This last visual is very teary also; we later learn that his parents have been killed. So yes indeed are they naught but part of the planet’s fabric now. :(

-There’s a tiny amount of amusing irony in an Imperial officer telling a child to lighten up. I thought that was kind of a funny moment, cause how many cheerful Imperials do you get to see really? And also it was a subtle nod to Ray Bradbury and his short story The Long Rain, which I read as part of The Illustrated Man, which I thought was an amazing collection of stories that i got to read in school. It made an impression.

-I wonder whether it is coincidence or not that you named Lord Corsin’s child after a subarctic climate zone. Nope, no coincidence. I happened to be looking over maps of terrain to research something and came across that...and thought perfect name for Corsin's son. I also like that it sounds like how the British would say 'tiger'...'tigah'

-As a point of grammatical contention, perhaps it is just me but I find it weird that the emphasis is on the “one” (being child-Marr) rather than the emphasis being on the demonstrative “that.” You know what, you're right, I read it back to myself and I should have put it on 'that' so I changed it to reflect that. Thank you. :)

-My but that hand flexing starts early. I wonder a bit if it didn’t start even earlier and I just didn’t notice. He did it once before, it's an agitation thing, and Liatrix picked it up...it's one of those things, was it learned or inherited, hard to know, it just is.

-I wonder whose voice that is. There are several contenders. I have a pretty good idea-- there are two I'm having to choose between, but I'm leaning heavily towards one of them...and all will be revealed soon :D

-Twi’leks have it rough in Star Wars, don’t they? I wonder would the Empire have twi’lek slaves prior to their invasion in 3681BBY, though? At this time period, Ryloth was technically part of the Republic, but the puppetmasters are the Hutts. Would the Cartel know of the Empire and just… conveniently forget to tell the Republic all the time? I didn't actually get into a lot of detailed research about the Twi'lek political climate, because that part was based off established lore, and being established I didn't question it, you see Veradun is Malgus...I thought it would be fun to have them in the Academy at the same time, because Malgus is only a year or maybe slightly less, younger than Marr. Only one reader picked up on Malgus being there :D

-Is this Overseer Silthar the same Darth Silthar of heading the Imperial Reclamation Service branch on Tatooine?Yep, one and the same, only here he is just a young man...

-I can’t help but notice that an aide pulls away Taiga and the overseer singles out Marr. I can’t help but mull over the implications… is there just a little bit of an insinuation here that acolyte rivalries might sometimes be orchestrated?I do think that the rivalries are to some degree instigated but all I was trying to achieve with that part was that Taiga was being led away to be told about his father's death...he would learn of it first...being pureblood, being the son of a Lord...and yet as you say the Overseer chose Marr...but he sees resemblances in the boy, and I think that drew him to Marr.

-I don’t doubt that we’ll see this bounty hunter again… but she will be too dead to see us back. She may not get dead for a while yet, but she'll be back eventually.

-Regardless, such a tragedy. And of course the commentary on the “smite first, ask questions later” nature of Imperial justice that if someone had even slightly paid any attention to facts Ailan wouldn’t be dead. Exactly.

-I wonder now if we’ll ever come back to Krayiss II. I foresee Marr going back there briefly in the future. :)

-Given the descriptions of Overseer Silthar’s office, I have no doubt that the two are one and the same. It's him and while he's always been into antiquities, his career path began as an educator until a certain someone inspired him to pursue his true dream.

-A man he once knew? Marr’s blood father, perhaps? Could be... :D

-It’s awkwardly amusing how Marr doesn’t actually know anything of Tulak Hord beyond the name (and it parallels both his parents’ and the reader’s knowledge of Darth Taxon). He only died two and a half millennia ago, Marr. I doubt he told Silthar things. :pI'm having fun with that actually because it would be just like that...imagine telling a young child to find Ghengis Khan...without any other information.

-Is Taiga trying to Force choke Marr here or literal choke? It’s very difficult to tell. Yep he was, I thought in saying that kneeing Taiga 'broke the connection' would imply Force usage, but I probably could have done that better, or made it clearer somehow.

-You know I do think Silthar knew Marr’s blood father given his reaction. Not “**** son you’re not allowed to kill other acolytes!” but “**** son time to get our butts in gear!” But this then also begs the question – why was he not killed too? And hopefully all will be revealed in time. Like the next episode of SOAP...that might be a bit before your time...it was Billy Crystal's first sitcom I believe. :D

Edited by Lunafox

Marr

~Chapter Five~

Sometimes victory demands surrender—and triumph comes with survival.

Silthar led me along a deserted corridor and then down several flights of crumbling stone steps. The weather-beaten walls and the dank odour rising up to meet us suggested this area of the Academy was condemned long ago—even the spiders that had spun the veils of webbing overhead had long since abandoned them.

The air smelled of loam and decay and yet was dry enough that the insides of my nostrils pr.ickled the same way they did in extreme cold. The torches wriggled as we passed by and there was the faint chitter of many whispering voices.

Stone floor tiles gave way to coarse gravel and the stench of rotten flesh grew intense enough that I tasted bile at the back of my throat.

“Overseer…what is this place? Where are we going?”

“This, my boy, is the ossuary…where the dead were placed before cremation became the custom,” Silthar explained. “A charnel house, if you will.”

I lifted a torch from its rusty claw-shaped scabbard and held it out to spread the light in a wide arc ahead of me. The walls consisted of stone niches, each filled with skulls and various bones.

“There are…hundreds of them…” I whirled around slowly, my mouth agape. “Were they all students…like me?”

“I daresay more like young Corsin, than you. I call this the House of Failure…”

The whispers came alive again, almost as if offended by Silthar’s casual remark. If he heard the whispers, he showed no sign of it, and I began to wonder if I was the only one hearing them.

“But why are we here?”

“Because we needed to be as far away from my office as possible, and we needed to get away without being seen.”

“Why are you helping me?”

Silthar straddled the narrow stone altar at the center of the chamber and sat. “You were adopted, weren’t you, Ares.”

The weight of the lightsaber clinging to the inside of my wrist seemed to assert itself. I knew I couldn’t recant my admission now. “Yes, sir.”

“The resemblance is uncanny…but it wasn’t until I saw the lightsaber that I knew for sure.”

“You knew Lord Tacitus?”

“I did, yes.”

“Will you tell me about him—tell me everything.” The bone packed walls, the smell, even the whispers faded from my awareness. I sat cross-legged at his feet, an eager pupil craving the knowledge of a past I believed lost to me.

Silthar sighed heavily and tapped his chin. “Where to begin…”

“What was he like?”

“Well…when I was a student here, I was to be his apprentice, and I often accompanied him on minor missions…did research, things of that nature. He was…respected—ambitious—perhaps more honourable than most. He didn’t hail from the old families, but he admired them and sought to emulate them. Septimus, you see, was a great believer in tradition—the old ways—but Sith politics conspired against him. There were forces determined to keep him from ascending to the Dark Council, but he was not one to be deterred. I see the same stubborn streak in your eyes, my boy.”

I sat a little straighter at that moment, proud of the blood filling my veins, something I’d never lingered upon before. My adoptive parents had always said Lord Tacitus was a good man, but hearing it from another—a Sith—gave

gravitas to the truth I longed for.

Silthar wove his fingers and flexed them. “When he put his mind to something, woe to anyone who tried to change it. When he couldn’t gain power through politics he sought other ways and it seemed he was talented at finding them.”

“Like learning from Tulak Hord?”

“My boy, you’re getting ahead of me, but yes, that was one method. The source behind his power wouldn’t remain secret for long—much like the great Emperor, he sought fuel to propel himself above the stations and whims of his fellows. Needless to say, your father’s ambitions cultivated a great many foes. I for one hoped to see what he might accomplish with his gifts.”

“Did you know my mother too?”

“Not as well as I knew him. She had a quiet dignity about her— she seemed quite clever…but sharp.” His brows met, giving him a stern mien.

“Overseer? I sense you didn’t like her very much.”

Silthar chuckled. “I see not much escapes your notice—just like your father. No…to be honest, I didn’t like her. She ingratiated herself to him…became as indispensable as the air. Ultimately she became his apprentice instead. But of course, she had certain gifts I could never compete with,” he said wryly. “Forgive me, I mustn’t speak ill of her…she is your mother, and had he not chosen her, you might not have been born.”

“What was her name?”

“Lilin Shan...”

“How did they meet?”

“Her master had sent her to infiltrate Septimus’s ranks…perhaps another reason why I never trusted her…”

“You don’t think she loved my father?”

“No…I wouldn’t go as far as to say that. I believe she did…she betrayed the Jedi Order for him. I hesitate to say much more, as I said, I didn’t know her well, and I wouldn’t want to impose my bias.”

“I wish I’d known them…”

Silthar straightened and clapped the dust from his hands. “Perhaps, there is more about them in the archives. I wasn’t privy to everything they lived through…I was only a part of their lives for a very short time. Come. We’ve tarried here long enough…too long, I’m afraid.”

“But where are we going?”

“The spaceport…there is an exit here…somewhere…along this wall…” He felt along a row of cubbies for the switch.

“I don’t understand…are you sending me away, Overseer? I was only defending myself. Taiga started it.”

“That’s neither here nor there—the rules state that no acolyte shall murder another…at least not openly, and there was no mistaking the animosity between you.”

“But Overseer, you don’t understand. I have to find Tulak Hord…I have to! Please don’t expel me. I have to become Sith.”

Silthar clasped my shoulder. “I’m afraid you’re the one that doesn’t understand…murdering another acolyte is punishable by death…but running away isn’t. At the spaceport, you’ll attempt to secure passage off world…and I will intercept you—an alibi—now do you understand?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good lad.” Silthar’s holocom chimed. “Excuse me, one moment.” He turned his back to me, and the light emanating from the center of his com, cast an icy blue glow that clashed with the torchlight about the chamber.

“My Lord…this is an unexpected honor…”

“Don’t bother me with your shallow pleasantries, Silthar. I’m eager to inspect the new arrivals—I have high hopes for one in particular.”

“There were at least two or three that had promise…”

“I didn’t ask for your assessment. I want to see them for myself. Where are you?”

“On an errand…an annoying one at that. It seems a pair of the new arrivals have taken it upon themselves to leave Dromund Kaas prematurely. I’m on my way to intercept. I’ve already informed Lieutenant Demarest at the spaceport—she’ll be on the look-out for our runaways.”

“See to it they’re found and punished. Make sure they understand that running away is tantamount to desertion and will not be tolerated. There are no second chances.”

The pure-blooded Sith, looked as if all colour had been drained out of him. The hulking body combined with inky half-moons under his eyes and the pointed ear tips jutting from the hoary brush cut reminded me of an aging gundark.

The Force nudged at me like instinct and I fixed my gaze on the Sith lord hovering over Silthar’s palm.

“Of course my Lord.”

“I want to conduct my inspection by days end. Is that understood?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

“Taxon out.” No sooner had he uttered the last syllable his image evaporated.

“Insufferable…” Silthar grumbled.

I backed away from the overseer.

“What’s the matter, boy? You look like every devil is chasing you.”

“Darth Taxon—murdered my whole family.”

“That’s a serious allegation…he’s a member of the Dark Council.”

“It’s the truth! He murdered my parents the night I was born…he burned our home and somehow he discovered my adoptive parents and I escaped Ziost. He sent the Trandoshan bounty hunter to kill us.”

“Trandoshan? The transmission stated it was a human female…” Silthar’s eyes widened and I could see the calculation behind them.

“The Trandoshan was the first bounty hunter he sent. I killed that one and disposed of the body. I knew he’d send another—and I wasn’t there to stop it! He wants me dead.”

“It seems then, we have quite a dilemma.”

“I don’t even know why…”

“My boy…there are three primary reasons Sith commit willful murder—vengeance, war, and gain. Perhaps, he covets something you have.”

“Overseer, I don’t have anything…all I have is who I am.” I spread my arms for effect.

“Perhaps…that is enough. It would seem, that I am about to fail in detaining you.”

He squeezed the mechanism hidden behind the bones and a door revealed itself. A shard of violent green light seeped into the chamber, and I knew we were somewhere in the jungle. I could hear distant birdsong and then the thrusters of a departing vessel, no more than a kilometer or two away.

“But what will happen to you, sir? He might kill you.”

Silthar cupped his jaw as he considered me and I think my concern surprised him. “I doubt it. I’m an overseer with a perfect record. I would resume my duties, and he would no doubt, send his bounty hunter for you. Perhaps…you could stow away aboard a vessel that has been cleared for take-off.”

“If I do that…I’ll never be Sith.”

“There is more than one way to become Sith, but none of them are easy. Come...I’ll see if I can find a suitable ship…” Silthar dug into his robes and withdrew a sack of credits. “It’s not much—but it should be enough for a few nights lodging and meals. After you set down…com me your location, and I’ll wire you more until we decide how best to proceed.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Let’s be off then.” He edged the door apart just enough to slip through it and held it in place for me.

A quarter of an hour later we crouched at the jungle’s edge and watched the spaceport. Silthar and I observed as a small freighter emerged in the port’s clearing for refuel and supply.

“That one…they gave it the green flag…it’s been cleared. You don’t have much time…you need to be aboard before its finished refuelling. Go now…and may the Force always serve you.”

“You too…thank you, sir.”

I drew a deep breath and ran towards the freighter in cautious bursts. The crewman supervising the refuel crossed the clearing to confer with an officer and I took my chance to steal aboard.

Three-quarters of the way up the boarding ramp, the muzzle of a plasma rifle butted against my chest. “That’s far enough. Going somewhere, acolyte? Hand’s up.”

I raised my hands and backed down the ramp slowly. At the bottom, a squad of troopers emerged from the spaceport and surrounded me. One of them was about to snap a pair of stun cuffs about my wrists when Silthar emerged from the treeline, shouting to intercept.

“There you are, you little mongrel.” He backhanded me hard enough that I tasted blood. “I should have you executed for this…”

I kept my eyes on the ground as my arrest unfolded.

The overseer turned to the troopers and motioned for them to stand at ease. “I appreciate the assist men…but the cuffs won’t be necessary. I’ll see our would-be deserter into custody personally…but before I take my leave with this wretch, I require a word with Lieutenant Demarest. The rest of you…dismissed.”

“Of course, my Lord. At once.”

Silthar clamped the back of my neck and made a show of growling at me before lowering his voice to a whisper. “It seems our plans have been foiled…but all is not lost.”

Lieutenant Demarest emerged from the spaceport. She was a tall woman with russet hair coiled into a neat roll. A smattering of freckles united her features and upon seeing Silthar, she smiled brightly and bowed.

He released me and leaned in close to her. “Hello, Alyce…”

“Uncle, what brings you here…” She gazed down at me and smiled sympathetically. “I see someone has found trouble…”

“Unfortunately, this isn’t a social call…I need a favour. If Darth Taxon asks you about the runaways…tell him that we have the matter well in hand.”

“I would…but he’s already here. He arrived just before you did,” Lieutenant Demarest whispered. She reached out and dabbed the blood hovering on the corner of my lip with her thumb.

Silthar swore under his breath. “Understood…we’ll speak again soon.”

“I look forward to it, Uncle.” She knelt and straightened my tunic. “It’s not so bad here, once you get used to it…don’t run away again, all right?”

I nodded and dared a quick peek into her eyes. I sensed she meant well, but didn’t fully understand the situation.

Silthar cleared his throat and straightened and the Lieutenant took his hint—Darth Taxon strode toward us, the avarice in his eyes boiling and fixed squarely on me. He smacked his lips and seemed, even more, the gundark in person.

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox

I loved the charnel house reference. Glad that Marr has someone on his side, but I don't see that lasting, things being what they are. It was a nice touch to let Marr see glimpses into his parents lives, no matter how brief. I still wonder what exactly this Darth Taxon is after. I suppose this 'birthright' mentioned has a great deal to do with it and Tulak Hord especially. Beautifully written, as usual, eagerly awaiting the next.

I loved the charnel house reference. Glad that Marr has someone on his side, but I don't see that lasting, things being what they are. It was a nice touch to let Marr see glimpses into his parents lives, no matter how brief. I still wonder what exactly this Darth Taxon is after. I suppose this 'birthright' mentioned has a great deal to do with it and Tulak Hord especially. Beautifully written, as usual, eagerly awaiting the next.

Thanks :D I find them fascinating. Yeah, Little Marr needed an ally in that place. As you say, it's hard to know how long alliances will last for, but he got some valuable insight into his family, so that was something, and I suspect he'll learn more as he goes along. I'm really happy that you're enjoying the story still. :)

Hey Lunafox! Comentarii! woot!

Quintum Caput

-Overall I really enjoyed this chapter; it has a certain peculiarly Sith flavor to it. Bodies piled high, hidden knowledge, betrayals, intrigue, secret passages, plots, and murderous lords OH MY! :D

-There’s a certain irony in the opening words here, given that not doing what it says is precisely why Marr died in KOTFE. At least he was mature enough in Chapter XII to admit he dropped the ball though :p

-The House of Failure, haha! Given the odor I imagine it’s still taking new tenants.

-I enjoy Silthar’s response. “…more like young Corsin, than you.” :p

-Very interesting that Marr calls his blood-father “Lord Tacitus” rather than “his dad” or whatnot.

-Speaking of Tacitus, I have noticed but have yet to comment that you seem to run the Empire a bit like late Republican Rome. You have the old families, vaguely out of touch with reality which care about (at the very least superficially) being honorable and proper and faithful servants to the Republic (or Empire, lol), and you have all these classless upstarts who thirst only for power beyond their ken.

-And then of course there’s a certain irony in the above paragraph when Marr’s family is exactly the opposite. That was intentional, wasn’t it.

-It is terribly amusing that you have Marr’s mother related to some seriously influential Jedi, especially given that you hinted at it with previous commentary. I was expecting Marr to have come across something like Kel’eth Ur’s holocron, not something as profound as this.

-On the other hand it’s also the only thing that annoys me about this as well: while the Jedi “knew” the Sith were still out there somewhere, they had no idea about most of the worlds the Empire had control of after the Great Hyperspace War. They didn’t even know the location of Dromund Kaas, and it’s only a few lightyears from Korriban. The Empire did send spies into the Republic, but it would have been impossible except by pure chance to infiltrate them. (The Republic only even encountered the Old Sith Empire before the Great Hyperspace War by pure chance as well; and it was only Naga Sadow’s arrogance which led the Republic to victory).

-On the other hand, it amuses me greatly that Marr’s blood-father was of such charisma that the only Jedi infiltrator in all of ever abandons the job in favor of him!

-This is a very well played and also simple plot. I like it.

-Darth Taxon is very throwback, isn’t he.

-Well crap. Accidentally the whole plan! Although I am very curious if Taxon is interested in child-Marr or another acolyte.

-“All is not lost” Silthar has more hope for the situation than is really warranted, I am inclined to think.

-Accidentally even the backup plan. Things are looking pretty grimdark for child-Marr here. (I am only vaguely sorry for the pun.)

Back in blue :D

Hey Lunafox! Comentarii! woot! Hey Divi! :D Thanks again for the great comments!

Quintum Caput

-Overall I really enjoyed this chapter; it has a certain peculiarly Sith flavor to it. Bodies piled high, hidden knowledge, betrayals, intrigue, secret passages, plots, and murderous lords OH MY! :DThank you, these are the sorts of things I like seeing in Sithy stories. Heck they work in Jedi stories too :D

-There’s a certain irony in the opening words here, given that not doing what it says is precisely why Marr died in KOTFE. At least he was mature enough in Chapter XII to admit he dropped the ball though :pI guess it goes to show that people do live and learn and even the confident wise ones make mistakes that cost them.

-The House of Failure, haha! Given the odor, I imagine it’s still taking new tenants. I'm sure there are few new tenants stuffed in among the old ones. Gotta get rid of the bodies somehow. :D

-I enjoy Silthar’s response. “…more like young Corsin, than you.” :pHe's not wrong lol.

-Very interesting that Marr calls his blood-father “Lord Tacitus” rather than “his dad” or whatnot.I think he does this because he feels it would dishonor the hard work his adoptive parents put into raising and protecting him...and he doesn't feel quite as strong a connection to his birth parents. That might change over time, but as a young boy, the sacrifices of his adoptive folks are much closer to him.

-Speaking of Tacitus, I have noticed but have yet to comment that you seem to run the Empire a bit like late Republican Rome. You have the old families, vaguely out of touch with reality which care about (at the very least superficially) being honorable and proper and faithful servants to the Republic (or Empire, lol), and you have all these classless upstarts who thirst only for power beyond their ken. Rome inspires me, I enjoy it. That and the hubby has been on a rash of watching Roman documentaries on line and its rubbing off on me. Rome has been interesting to me since about Gladiator. :D

-And then of course there’s a certain irony in the above paragraph when Marr’s family is exactly the opposite. That was intentional, wasn’t it. Could be :D

-It is terribly amusing that you have Marr’s mother related to some seriously influential Jedi, especially given that you hinted at it with previous commentary. I was expecting Marr to have come across something like Kel’eth Ur’s holocron, not something as profound as this. You know, I hedged for a long while about this plot point...I was concerned it might be a bit of a heavy touch, but then figured, well it's not one of the major ones in the family...likely a cousin...so I figured that would be okay.

-On the other hand it’s also the only thing that annoys me about this as well: while the Jedi “knew” the Sith were still out there somewhere, they had no idea about most of the worlds the Empire had control of after the Great Hyperspace War. They didn’t even know the location of Dromund Kaas, and it’s only a few lightyears from Korriban. The Empire did send spies into the Republic, but it would have been impossible except by pure chance to infiltrate them. (The Republic only even encountered the Old Sith Empire before the Great Hyperspace War by pure chance as well; and it was only Naga Sadow’s arrogance which led the Republic to victory). This part of the universe's history hurts my head. I wish I knew more, research doesn't yield much. And one of these days I'm going to have to watch KOTOR on youtube I think to get it all...but even so, that's sometime before this moment in time. I'll just chalk it up to a Jedi Master who knew the secrets, but died before he could reveal much about it...

-On the other hand, it amuses me greatly that Marr’s blood-father was of such charisma that the only Jedi infiltrator in all of ever abandons the job in favor of him! That amuses me too...I figure Marr had to get it from someplace...so I figured he's a chip off the old block in that way.

-This is a very well played and also simple plot. I like it. Oddly...it's not as simple as you think, having a narrating character that exists in different time frames and writing it so that it sounds 'right'. It drives me a bit batsh*t crazy at times to get it to sound the right way. At times Marr has to sound young...but at others the voice of experience has to come in and it's a fine line between....hey that's neat, and zomg how could I screw that up so horridly. It's a challenge, but it's fun.

-Darth Taxon is very throwback, isn’t he. Oh yes, very much so. He's utterly creepy and about as close to Massassi as you can get and still be...well...human...ish?

-Well crap. Accidentally the whole plan! Although I am very curious if Taxon is interested in child-Marr or another acolyte. Well, hopefully we'll find out in the next part :D

-“All is not lost” Silthar has more hope for the situation than is really warranted, I am inclined to think.Silthar strikes me as a guy who is always spinning ideas and plans...he's a conniver and he's positive there is always a way around things, but...

-Accidentally even the backup plan. Things are looking pretty grimdark for child-Marr here. (I am only vaguely sorry for the pun.)He hee, I like puns :D And yep, it's pretty grim for our young man here. Thanks again so much for the comments and insights Divi! Much appreciated!

Replies in a particular order!

-Well, I mean Revan and Bastila for obvious Revan-peacing-out reasons only had one child, but their son had three. Another 280 years of that... there's going to be a fair amount of people related. Obviously you'd have to create someone with the Shan last name or to readers it would just be a random Jedi unless there was a lot of exposition.

-The overall history is fuzzy since there aren't a lot of details, but it seemed like what the Republic knew about the Sith after the Great Hyperspace war was relatively well documented in the "Galactic History" films which got nix'd by EA during TOR's development. Gnost-Dural's narration makes it sound like The Republic technically knew the Empire might be out there somewhere seething with vengeance in its heart but who bloody knows where! Sensor tech in SW seems to be very weird in that the Republic didn't notice the Empire building a gigantic armada of thousands of starships at what amounts to down the street from Korriban. The Empire, of course, knew exactly where all Republic holdings were because the Republic felt no need to hide after the war, which is how the Empire peppered it with spies. I suppose it's possible a sufficiently attentive Jedi could follow the will of the Force back to the Empire; after all, Revan managed it not once but twice. It stands to reason his descendant might have that trick up her sleeve too, so it's the explanation I shall go with. Otherwise, I personally think it's very unlikely that there would be a purposeful infiltration of the Empire by the Jedi prior to the 3681BBY invasion of Korriban. They wouldn't have the faintest idea where to look for them, especially since even into the Jedi Knight story the Dromund system is all but a complete mystery to the Republic. It was a huge deal that the weirdly angry Jomar Chul managed to get there and scout it. Apparently the SW universe never invented telescopes, because a cursory examination of star systems using a SW-level tech telescope would reveal this super obvious civilization in what should be an uninhabited system. But quibbling over semantics aside I really did enjoy how you made Marr related to Revan and Bastila Shan; it was a twist I was not expecting and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if or how much more you play with it. (Holy crap this paragraph ended up much longer than I thought).

-You misunderstood me a bit; I have a vague inkling about how difficult your story as a whole must be to write, mostly from previous comments you've made. I was referring to Silthar's plan. It's neat and tidy, but as they say... no plan survives contact with the enemy. As we have found out.

Answers to the answers :D

Replies in a particular order!

-Well, I mean Revan and Bastila for obvious Revan-peacing-out reasons only had one child, but their son had three. Another 280 years of that... there's going to be a fair amount of people related. Obviously you'd have to create someone with the Shan last name or to readers it would just be a random Jedi unless there was a lot of exposition. True enough, I'm glad it made sense to do it this way, I always hedge a bit about making important connections like that. There is always that little voice in the back of the mind, be careful, MarySue country is just a smidge that way. :D

-The overall history is fuzzy since there aren't a lot of details, but it seemed like what the Republic knew about the Sith after the Great Hyperspace war was relatively well documented in the "Galactic History" films which got nix'd by EA during TOR's development. Gnost-Dural's narration makes it sound like The Republic technically knew the Empire might be out there somewhere seething with vengeance in its heart but who bloody knows where! Sensor tech in SW seems to be very weird in that the Republic didn't notice the Empire building a gigantic armada of thousands of starships at what amounts to down the street from Korriban. The Empire, of course, knew exactly where all Republic holdings were because the Republic felt no need to hide after the war, which is how the Empire peppered it with spies. I suppose it's possible a sufficiently attentive Jedi could follow the will of the Force back to the Empire; after all, Revan managed it not once but twice. It stands to reason his descendant might have that trick up her sleeve too, so it's the explanation I shall go with. Works for me...I do like to be accurate as much as I can, especially when integrating lore into the story, because I know a lot of people really know their stuff, and I'd hate to make a glaring mistake and pull someone out of the story. I think it stands to reason that a relation could find a way to do what an ancestor did, either through diaries, or instincts or stories passed down through the generations.

Otherwise, I personally think it's very unlikely that there would be a purposeful infiltration of the Empire by the Jedi prior to the 3681BBY invasion of Korriban. They wouldn't have the faintest idea where to look for them, especially since even into the Jedi Knight story the Dromund system is all but a complete mystery to the Republic. It was a huge deal that the weirdly angry Jomar Chul(He really was, wasn't he.) managed to get there and scout it. Apparently the SW universe never invented telescopes, because a cursory examination of star systems using a SW-level tech telescope would reveal this super obvious civilization in what should be an uninhabited system. You'd think with all those amazing weapons and tech, someone might have detected what was going on lol. As you say an armade or 100 are hare to miss lol.

But quibbling over semantics aside I really did enjoy how you made Marr related to Revan and Bastila Shan; it was a twist I was not expecting and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if or how much more you play with it. (Holy crap this paragraph ended up much longer than I thought). Whew, well I'm glad you liked it. We'll just have to see if we need to dabble in that family anymore in the future :D

-You misunderstood me a bit; I have a vague inkling about how difficult your story as a whole must be to write, mostly from previous comments you've made. I was referring to Silthar's plan. It's neat and tidy, but as they say... no plan survives contact with the enemy. As we have found out. Oh ok, righto, I getcha. Indeed Silthar's plans were relatively straightforward. I think he's relatively uncomplicated as Sith go, and I think that's why the Reclamation service had its appeal. And thanks again for the inights! :)

Marr

~Chapter Six~

Alliances are borne from goals and enemies in common.

Rage bubbled under my skin. The heat under my tunic crept up my neck to set my jaw. I wanted nothing more than to strike Taxon and watch him bleed out after I cut him down. My hand twitched, craving for the lightsaber up my sleeve. A surge of whispers rose in my mind and everything seemed to slow around me. I thought the spirits of the failed acolytes had followed me out of the ossuary, but there was something darker driving the chatter until it became one voice, with a clear command: Don’t.

My heartbeat filled my ears and I clenched my teeth. I was caught in a war between body and mind and the effort to remain unmoving made my body shake. My mind’s voice demanded a reason, and as if sensing my unspoken question, the voice answered: He would use your anger against him—be still, be quiet. Confuse him. Only the stupid act rashly. Are you stupid?

With my obedience came my grudging answer to the voice’s question. If I survived this, my first goal would be to learn the identity of the voice that had been driving me since birth. I had suspected for some time that it wasn’t my own, and this moment confirmed it.

Taxon stood only a meter away now and his presence jolted me out of my thoughts.

“Do you think me a fool, Silthar? Did you think I wouldn’t see through your charade?”

“What is it you’re accusing me of, Lord Taxon?”

“Aiding and abetting this murderous deserter. You thought I wouldn’t figure it out—he murdered another acolyte—a pureblood no less and tried to escape the consequences of his crime with your help…”

“With all due respect my Lord, I’ve done no such thing. The boy’s parents were murdered…I suspected he would attempt to avenge them—it made sense that he would come here—the reason I contacted Lieutenant Demarest, as I mentioned on the holo.”

“It’s as Overseer Silthar says, my Lord,” the Lieutenant said, with a bow.

“Silence! Do not lie to me. Do you know what the penalty is for what you’ve done, boy?”

I met Taxon’s peculiar gaze and lifted my chin in defiance. “Death.”

“So it is.” Taxon curled his fingers into a claw and spittle flew from his lips.

His anger coiled with purpose and intention like a hooded serpent, eyes gleaming like beads of venom. If he was going to cut me down he would do it looking me in the eye, and if nothing else, I would haunt him forever after, the image of my face carved inside his eyelids, always there, always watching, whether asleep or awake or in meditation. I resolved to be the spark to ignite his madness and with my death would come his unravelling.

For a moment I questioned if this resolve was mine or an effect of the voice in my head. I decided it didn’t matter and kept my gaze locked on his and then he struck.

Lieutenant Demarest rose high above us and clutched her throat, her legs twitching involuntarily. Her skin turned blue and the moment before she fell unconscious was punctuated by the sickening crunch of fine bones and cartilage shattering. She fell between us in a heap and a plaintive gasp escaped Silthar.

“Why Taxon? She did nothing wrong,” he choked out.

“Her actions were unbefitting of an Imperial officer and you are a weak and pathetic worm—certainly not fit to be an Overseer and unless you wish to end up like your accomplice, I suggest you leave now. Return and it will be the last thing you do. Now be gone!”

Slow thick raindrops announced the beginning of a deluge and two forks of lightning clashed above.

Silthar’s gaze touched on me and then shifted to his niece on the ground. He clasped his hands behind his back and strode into the spaceport, where he vanished into the thick of the crowd.

I glared at Taxon, once again waiting for him to strike me down. A peculiar calm settled over me; it was as if I was close to death, but more of an accomplice to it, than its mark and the familiarity I sensed gave fuel to my daring.

“Aren’t you going to kill me too, Taxon?”

“You will show the proper respect!” He stabbed the air before him, that simple act enough to hurl me against the spaceport’s perimeter wall. I struggled but was held fast by the Force like an insect stuck in tree sap. He advanced on me. The cartilage points above his eyes curved upwards like horns and the pair flanking his chin joined to form a sharp point. Only inches apart now, his stale hot breath clung to my face and feral yellow irises rimmed in red bored into me.

He snatched my arm, bending it at a painful angle. “You won’t be needing this,” he snarled and stripped my father’s lightsaber from its wrist holster.

“That’s mine!” I hated the whiny protest in my voice.

“No, it’s mine. It’s always been mine.” He ignited the lightsaber and carved the air with it, and I sensed the truth in his words.

“My father left that to me. It’s all I have of him! Is that what you wanted? Is that why you killed my whole family?”

Taxon laughed bitterly. “Nine years I searched for this…but no…it’s not all you have that was his.”

He dismissed the glowing red blade and the spidery red veins marring the whites of his eyes flared brighter.

“Aren’t you going to kill me? You’ve taken everything!”

“Oh no. Not everything…not yet,” Taxon oozed.

A pair of troopers approached and lingered a short distance away to await the Dark Councilor’s orders. Taxon sensed them behind him and his lip curled, twisting his face in a way that made my blood curdle.

“Gag him, bind him, and stow him in my cargo hold,” Taxon barked. He released his grip on me and I slid down the wall, landing on all fours. On his way inside the spaceport, he stepped over the lieutenant’s body as if it was nothing more than rubbish. “And clean this mess up!” He bellowed back at them.

One of the men moved in and wrenched me to my feet.

“Where are you taking me?! I have to go back to the Academy.”

The one that bound my wrists and ankles scoffed, “Aw, listen to the little deserter…now he wants to go back. Should’ve thought o’ that before you buggered off.”

I could feel the current of electricity coursing through the durasteel casings and any struggle was met with a painful zap.

Missing a gag, the troopers exchanged glances, and silently agreed on a solution. The taller of the two rammed the butt of his rifle at the back of my head and my awareness of everything exploded into a starry pitch.

When I woke, I knew we were no longer on Dromund Kaas. My mouth was as dry as the air and when I drew my first deep breath I coughed and was left with the taste of sand and metal in my mouth.

I had no idea if hours or days had passed. I woke in a med bay and something hot and sharp poked at my scalp—a silver droid stooped over me, suturing the back of my head where the rifle had connected. I shut my eyes hoping to quell the dizziness behind them, and when it didn’t stop, I groaned. The droid pressed a cold implement to the base of my skull and injected me with something. My discomfort vanished and I found myself grateful for the wonder that is kolto.

The viewport caught my eye, and I sat up, squinting against the blinding combination of the overhead surgical lamp and the sunlight cutting through the bay in wide dusty beams. Despite the droid’s reprimands, I hopped off the examination table and realized I was no longer cuffed.

I levelled my hand over my eyes as a visor against the light and took in the landscape outside. Pale dunes ran like oceans against monolithic cliffs and the sky was an impossible colour—not grey or blue as I was accustomed to, but a shade somewhere between orange and mauve.

The tent city crowding the lower quadrant of the view told me we were at a Reclamation dig site, but one I didn’t know.

“Droid…where are we?”

“We are located at the stronghold of Darth Taxon, Dark Council member and master of the Sphere of Defense of the Empire.”

“But what planet are we on? That’s a Reclamation Service dig site…the tent city is there…”

“We are on Dromund Fels, fourth planet of the Dromund system in the Esstran sector, within the Stygian Caldera.”

“How far is Dromund Kaas from here?”

“I am programmed to function as an emergency medic, not a navacomputer.”

In spite of myself, I laughed. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d laughed hard enough for my sides to hurt.

The doors to the med bay slid open and a young lanky pureblood strolled in. He wore flamboyant red robes and elaborate facial jewellery. His sharp red gaze fixed on me and he clasped his hands behind his back as if preparing to address the troops. He reminded me of Lord Corsin. My laughter died in my throat and my expression slipped back into its default solemnity.

“Prey, continue,” he urged. “Far be it for me to interfere with whatever has amused you. Perhaps you’d consider sharing it with me. Maker knows I could stand for some amusement.”

I stared at the foppish young man, uncertain of how to interpret his comment.

“IC-U8,” he said.

“No…” I said, shaking my head.

The Sith cocked his head and laughed. “No…I was referring to the droid. That’s his designation.”

“How can I serve you, my Lord?” The droid bowed slightly.

“Tell me, how is our young guest…I trust he’ll recover from his head injury?”

“The prognosis looks favorable my Lord, the damage was mostly superficial, I was about to clear him for duty,” IC-U8 said.

My attention shot toward the droid. “Duty?”

The Sith sauntered across the bay and took up a data pad. “According to this, it seems Darth Taxon has assigned you to—well now this can’t be right…” He tugged his chin tendril and frowned.

“What does it say?”

“I’m to prepare you for a ritual…” A note of uncertainty tweaked his voice and the way he rolled the word ‘ritual’ off his tongue worried me, but unlike most other Sith I’d met, this one didn’t seem to care if I respected him.

“What sort of ritual…”

“I take it you’ve never heard of the beast of Noghri Fels?”

“No…I just got here.”

“Probably just as well…it’s rather unpleasant.” The Sith turned on his heel and started for the door.

“Wait…where are you going? You can’t just leave like that…”

“I am a Lord of the Sith and you presume to detain me?”

“Yeah, I do. I want to know what Taxon wants to do to me.”

“I must say you have nerve for a mere boy…”

“Nerve is all I have left. My name is Ares Marr, my Lord. I’d like to know…so I can prepare.”

“I suppose young Marr, that I can understand the need to prepare for meeting one’s maker…”

“No, not that. I meant—prepare to defend myself—to kill whatever the beast of Noghri Fels is…I want to become Sith…and I don’t think Taxon wants that to happen.”

“Clearly, you’re not wrong about that…I suppose I could see what I could do…it seems a waste to sacrifice a young man with such bravado.”

“If you try to help me…he’ll do something awful to you…everyone who’s tried to help me so far, is dead.”

“That’s why I intend to urge him to hasten your demise…” His lips edged up in a quirky smile.

“What? Forgive me…but you confuse the hell out of me…my Lord.”

The Sith eyed me shrewdly. “You flatter me…and one day you could prove to be quite an opponent…or ally.”

“I’d rather be an ally…”

“Very well, young Marr…but know this…you must trust me. What I say, may sound contrary to our goals…but I encourage you to play along.”

“All right,” I agreed cautiously.

“Then I do believe the game is astir!” He clapped his hands together. “Wonderful.”

He started for the door a second time, and I leapt to block him. “Wait…”

“Is there something else?”

“Before you go, will you at least tell me your name?”

He considered my request and an impish smile flourished across his face. “A fair request, Marr. My name is Vowrawn…”

((to be continued…))

"Claps with glee". I love Vowrawn. He is so jovial, but not to be underestimated. Master of manipulation and intrigue that he is, this should get most interesting.

He's one of my favs as well :D Such a sly but fun creature. I adored him ever since my SW met him on Corellia. No one else would have the implements to make their HQ amidst the enemy lol.

I am curious about what comes next. A lot of things can happen during rituals :D

Indeed. Hopefully we can have some fun with that :D

Loved seeing Vowrawn make an appearance. For all of the flak that Bioware have been getting in recent years (and rightly so in some cases) They still manage to make really memorable characters like Vowrawn :) I got a good chuckle out of his cameo on Rishi when I played my SW.

Loved seeing Vowrawn make an appearance. For all of the flak that Bioware have been getting in recent years (and rightly so in some cases) They still manage to make really memorable characters like Vowrawn :) I got a good chuckle out of his cameo on Rishi when I played my SW.

Thanks! :D I think making memorable characters is one of the things they do best. I know that long after the game is history some years down the road, I'll still remember them, they have real staying power. :)

Hey Lunafox! commentarii, woo!

Sextum Caput

-I enjoy the little blurb at the start, given what we’ve seen of Vowrawn so far.

-Maybe it’s just me, but as a reader I think we knew all along the voices weren’t in Marr’s head. Figuratively, I guess… they’re literally in his head but it’s not his voice. Anyway. Speculation time! There’s a limited number of candidates given whom Marr interacts with (ever). I originally considered that it might either be Tulak Hord or perhaps Marr's blood-father before but… here it sounds extra Scourge-y. Is that a thing he can do? We know from the Foundation of All Desire that even stuck in carbonite he’s capable of influencing the weak, but actually speaking in their head?

-Is Taxon… legitimately crazy? His train of thought and actions make zero sense. I mean, although he’s correct in the course of events, he doesn’t seem to have evidence, nor any particular reason to suspect that what he thinks is true. Nor, when doling out punishment, does he do so commensurate with either the person’s actions nor their involvement with the scheme is. He almost completely lets Silthar off the hook even though it was all his idea, he… well we don’t exactly know what his plan is for child-Marr yet although it’s reasonably nefarious but he should have simply killed him, and the Lieutenant, whose sole involvement was “mobilize troopers to stop a runaway” because that’s her job and which is 100% of what she did and obviously successfully, is the one who gets killed. It’s almost like he’s rolling dice to see what he does. And also that Taxon never read the evil overlord tips.

-How would he know there’s a lightsaber there?

-Yep, Taxon is definitely riding the crazy train, because at this point child-Marr definitely does not have anything. I guess when Marr kills him Jadus takes over the conductor's job? :p

-Why would Taxon stick him in the medbay instead of like… a box with some holes poked in it for air? I’m telling you, dice. :p

-I do enjoy that it’s so very obvious who dies for Marr to ascend to the Council, however. Although he does have… IIRC, a solid 12 years before that happens.

-Ahh Vowrawn, you so irreverent. Interesting that his name doesn’t change between now and becoming a Darth.

-Ohh this is interesting; this beast doesn’t exist before now. I’m very curious!

-I also see that child-Marr doesn’t pick up on Vowrawn telling him exactly what’s going to be happening: “sacrifice”

-I can’t decide if Vowrawn is being silly or somehow serious (probably both) when he responds to child-Marr’s comment that everyone who helps him dies with “That’s why I intend to urge him to hasten your demise.” Vowrawn, help.… I don’t think that word means what you think it means :p

-DUN DUN DUN!

Edited by Diviciacus

Yay comments! Thanks Divi, much appreciated! The rule of blue...

Hey Lunafox! commentarii, woo!

Sextum Caput

-I enjoy the little blurb at the start, given what we’ve seen of Vowrawn so far.

-Maybe it’s just me, but as a reader I think we knew all along the voices weren’t in Marr’s head. Figuratively, I guess… they’re literally in his head but it’s not his voice. Anyway. Speculation time! There’s a limited number of candidates given whom Marr interacts with (ever). I originally considered that it might either be Tulak Hord or perhaps Marr's blood-father before but… here it sounds extra Scourge-y. Is that a thing he can do? We know from the Foundation of All Desire that even stuck in carbonite he’s capable of influencing the weak, but actually speaking in their head? Guessing is fun :D I think it's possible for Scourge to mind speak...that was sort of established in Foundation as you say, when he was carbon frozen and influenced that weak apprentice...that is basically how he was communicating with her, she'd hear him in her head....not that I'm saying it's him. :D

-Is Taxon… legitimately crazy? I'm having a Pirate of the Carribean moment here...gonna channel Jack for this answer...here it comes. *spreads arms wide with a knowing look* Sith... ;)

His train of thought and actions make zero sense. I mean, although he’s correct in the course of events, he doesn’t seem to have evidence, nor any particular reason to suspect that what he thinks is true. Nor, when doling out punishment, does he do so commensurate with either the person’s actions nor their involvement with the scheme is. He almost completely lets Silthar off the hook even though it was all his idea, he… well we don’t exactly know what his plan is for child-Marr yet although it’s reasonably nefarious but he should have simply killed him, and the Lieutenant, whose sole involvement was “mobilize troopers to stop a runaway” because that’s her job and which is 100% of what she did and obviously successfully, is the one who gets killed. It’s almost like he’s rolling dice to see what he does. And also that Taxon never read the evil overlord tips.

Seriously though, yeah, he's a big mean ogre of a Sith...huge and has a similar personality and outlook as Darth Zhorrid. What he does...makes sense to him, so yeah, I'm leaning towards deranged here. (Like Zhorrid when she sicks her lovely body guards at the agent for really no reason at all) She was testing her guards...and Taxon was just acting on his suspicions whether factual or imagined. The way Taxon is, he'd think it was a bad enough punishment to let Silthar live, and live knowing that his niece is dead, and likely the kid he was trying to help too. And while Silthar seems to accept it and walk away, I think he's subscribing to the whole live to fight another day...plus he knows he's not really a match for the Sith ogre, Taxon. I might have to go over the overlord tips myself, it's been a while since I read them lol.

-How would he know there’s a lightsaber there? I probably could have made it clearer, the blade left a tell tale bump under the sleeve...when the arm is relaxed the sleeve hangs loosely, but after he was pinned to the wall, you could see it and the leather holster bindings.

-Yep, Taxon is definitely riding the crazy train, because at this point child-Marr definitely does not have anything. I guess when Marr kills him Jadus takes over the conductor's job? :pYep, all aboard! :D

-Why would Taxon stick him in the medbay instead of like… a box with some holes poked in it for air? I’m telling you, dice. :pI don't think Taxon did that...I'll probably touch on that on the next part...he wouldn't care if the kid bleeds out, not really, but he does have a need for him to be alive.

-I do enjoy that it’s so very obvious who dies for Marr to ascend to the Council, however. Although he does have… IIRC, a solid 12 years before that happens. It is kind of obvious, but that really couldn't be helped. I just hope it's interesting to see how it all goes down.

-Ahh Vowrawn, you so irreverent. Interesting that his name doesn’t change between now and becoming a Darth.

-Ohh this is interesting; this beast doesn’t exist before now. I’m very curious! I thought that was interesting too, cause many of them get renamed...like Nox, like Thanaton...Mortis sounds like a rename, as does Ravage...so I figured that Vowrawn kept his name, probably cause he's wealthy and has a skad of connections that know that name...that's my reasoning anyway.

-I also see that child-Marr doesn’t pick up on Vowrawn telling him exactly what’s going to be happening: “sacrifice”I think he's a bit worried about something, but yeah, I don't think sacrifice quite occured to him straightaway.

-I can’t decide if Vowrawn is being silly or somehow serious (probably both) when he responds to child-Marr’s comment that everyone who helps him dies with “That’s why I intend to urge him to hasten your demise.” Vowrawn, help.… I don’t think that word means what you think it means :pVowrawn is slippery...it's hard to tell really when you should be scared witless by him. The funnier he is, the more dangerous things might be lol.

-DUN DUN DUN! Thanks again for all the insights! :)

Marr

~Chapter Seven~

The corrupt triumph even when they lose.

Vowrawn turned the ritual dagger over in his hands. “Truly, you can’t expect me to believe this meager urchin is bound to the great Tulak Hord in any way. You’re wasting time. I say we kill him and be done with it.” He raised the dagger high and readied to plunge it into my heart.

I writhed against my bonds and growled through the gag.

“Stop!” To my surprise, Taxon stayed Vowrawn’s hand before the blade pierced me. My chest rose and fell in desperate panicked breaths.

Taxon wrested the dagger from the younger man’s bony grip and glared at him with narrowed eyes. “You defied me before—in treating him—and now you want to kill him…why?”

“The ritual calls for his blood…the beast requires it. Surely after anointing the sacrifice and spending hours inscribing the runes onto his flesh, you’re not growing squeamish. I’ve listened to you blather on about this for past three years.”

Vowrawn folded his arms and shifted his weight back on his ankles.

“But why did you treat him?” Taxon’s voice was an ominous whisper as he leaned over me, his face a breadth away from Vowrawn’s.

My eyes darted about the chamber as far as my field of vision would allow, with no choice but to listen to them haggle over my fate. The vaulted ceiling seemed to press down on me and disturbing shadows danced around the perimeter of the rough-hewn chamber.

“You’re testing my patience, Taxon. It’s hardly a proper sacrifice if it’s half dead. It’s far more meaningful when the offering is intact. I’m the best ritualist in the galaxy…are you truly going to stand there and quibble about every little detail?”

The runes marking my body ran the length of my legs and disappeared into my armpits before resurfacing on the undersides of my arms to culminate at my wrists. The blood ink had long since dried and my skin itched, adding another level of irritation to my predicament. My lungs rebelled against the sweet incense burning in the censer nearby and I barked through my gag.

They stood over me like opposing deities labouring over a dejarik board. There was no goodness here, only two evils—one absolute and the other terrifyingly mercurial.

“The ritual calls for his blood…not his death…” Taxon muttered.

“I suppose it could be interpreted in that way, yes. But why would you spare him?”

“He’s valuable to me…the last remaining fount of Hord’s blood and spirit. I doubt you would extinguish him so easily if he were yours.”

“So it’s not mercy, but avarice that drives you. You believe he could be useful again—another trinket in your collection.” Vowrawn’s eyebrow ridge quirked upwards and a terribly white row of perfect teeth lifted his lips in a sinister grin.

“I’m Sith!” Taxon snarled and bashed his fist against the altar hard enough that I felt it vibrate under my back.

“As am I,” Vowrawn mumbled in an almost bored fashion. “An afternoon of poorly played Sabaac is more entertaining than this.”

Taxon snorted. “You desire entertainment? Perhaps a wager.”

“Now you have my interest. A wager, you say?” Vowrawn clapped his hands together. “Seems almost sacrilegious.”

“Don’t tell me that offends you…”

“I said almost,” Vowrawn deadpanned. “A wager it is then. So…what will it be?” He splayed his fingers and appeared to be considering his manicure.

“Ten thousand credits.”

“Credits?! Pah!” Vowrawn waved him off. “How provincial. I was thinking along the lines of something more enduring than money.”

“Such as?”

“If the beast deems the boy…unworthy…you elevate me to the status of Darth and allow me to return to the capitol where I can resume my game of Dark Council chess…”

“And if I win?”

If you win, and he truly is the beneficiary and wellspring of Tulak Hord’s powers…then I will remain here, in your service as your own personal ritualist but…”

“But…what?”

Vowrawn’s mouth spread into a perverse smirk. “You will take the boy as your apprentice and train him as Sith. I do require some entertainment if I am to remain, here…with you.”

“Have you lost your mind?” Taxon sputtered. “If I ever needed proof you’re as mad as a rabid jurgoran, I need look no further.”

“It sounds to me like you have doubts…doubt about the boy’s connection…and dare I say, doubt in your ability to train an apprentice. To date, you’ve yet to acquire one, which makes me suspect…how shall I put this delicately? You lack the skill and refinement to teach.”

“Any apprentice of mine would be worth ten of yours!”

“Perhaps, perhaps not. But one thing remains clear, a Dark Councillor with no apprentice and a power base reliant on another’s wealth, complicity, and knowledge in the arcane arts…could be in danger of losing his seat. Permanently.”

“If you move against me, I will release every sordid detail of your schemes and indiscretions…see how long you live then…”

My attention shifted between my captors and I began to understand my role. Vowrawn wanted his freedom, and somehow I was the key.

“Now, now, no need for threats, my dear fellow. I’m only stating the obvious. I, of course, am no match for you. Look at you…clearly, I’m outmatched in every way.”

“I would crush you like the depraved slime beetle you are,” Taxon snarled.

“Ah, depravity. One of my better qualities, I assure you. Now do we have an agreement?” Vowrawn thrust his hand at his opponent.

Taxon seethed and snatched the proffered hand grudgingly. “Agreed…”

Vowrawn smirked and shook Taxon’s meaty hand. “Truly more sporting than juggling thermal detonators. Shall we begin?”

Taxon cocked his head in acquiescence and waved Vowrawn away. “Do as you will, warlock.”

Vowrawn twined his fingers and flexed them until they cracked before shifting his attention on me. “I am going to remove your gag and bindings, but one word and I will kill you.”

I nodded once and waited for him to strip away the spit soaked rag dividing my mouth and the cuffs at my wrists. I smacked my lips hoping to coax enough moisture to chase the dry bitterness coating my tongue.

Vowrawn lifted a flask filled with clear liquid and drizzled it over my mouth. To my relief, I found it was ordinary water and gulped as much as I could before spitting up the excess.

He waved the censer over me and whisps of sweet black smoke dispersed over the altar, stinging my eyes. The words he read from the ritual scroll came in a rapid jumble—some language I’d never heard before and the runes painted up the sides of my body glowed as orange as live coals and I roared as the marks seared my flesh. Another incantation stole the heat away, but the pale raised scars would forever serve as a reminder of this moment.

Taxon stood on the stone dais looming over the altar. With his bulging arms and hawkish gaze, I was reminded of the brutish gargoyles I’d seen crouching atop several of the older buildings in Kaas City. My lightsaber dangled at his hip and I vowed that one day, I would reclaim it and I would make him suffer for all he’d taken from me. I chastised myself for allowing distraction to claim my attention and fixed my gaze on my dubious ally as he began the ritual. If I was to survive, I would need to remain alert.

Vowrawn reclaimed the ritual dagger, but instead of driving it into me, he carved a rune over my heart and watched as the blood seeped out of the wound to collect in the shallow valley above my abdomen.

He leaned in close to inspect his handiwork and took the opportunity to address me. “Be still…be silent,” he breathed.

Vowrawn took his place on the dais next to Taxon and spoke another verse, and I sensed their presence in the Force was somehow diminished…still visible to me…but less so, as if they were camouflaged by the air itself.

The next words Vowrawn spoke, I somehow understood even though they were foreign. “We summon the beast of Noghri Fels!”

The cave quaked and crumbles of gritty stone rained down on me. The accompanying dust coated my skin until it was as red as the chamber rock and I shut my eyes against the debris.

The first thing I saw was a pair of glowing yellow eyes approaching from a darkened alcove in the chamber. The creature crept closer—and while it wasn’t the hulking monster I’d expected, I could see the wary intelligence behind its eyes. Smaller than Taxon himself, the beast was entirely hairless, with moist grey skin that appeared dappled in the dim light.

The head was encircled by a rounded bony plate that I first mistook for external brain matter. The creature snuffled and snorted and I could feel its breath puffing over my skin. Its nose was small, barely two slits carved into the moist wrinkled face. I flinched when it sniffed my legs and it snarled, flashing a mouth full of razor sharp teeth. It moved ever higher toward the strips of gauze wrapped about my genitals but refused to linger there when it caught the scent of the fresh blood mark inscribed over my heart.

Beads of sweat gave way to rivulets that collected inside my ears. The creature revelled in the blood, snorting it and lapping it with a rough tongue. Had I not believed its next action would be to dig my heart out and devour it before me, I might have laughed at the sensation, but I didn’t dare move, especially given Vowrawn’s warning.

When the blood was gone it straightened and scanned the chamber with wary eyes. It smacked its lipless mouth with a forked tongue and let out a heartrending yowl. Again and again, it cried out…there was something plaintive and unsettling about it—like an akk dog mourning a lost master.

The creature whimpered and pawed at my body as if urging me to rise. I held my breath, uncertain if I should attempt to interact with it or remain still. I considered turning my gaze to search Vowrawn’s face for a hint, but decided against it—to do so might add fuel to Taxon’s already suspicious mind.

I closed my eyes and allowed the beast to nudge me. It mewled again and then laid its head and clawed foot upon my chest. With every passing moment, it seemed the beast somehow recognized me, in what way, I did not know, only that it did. I wanted to respond but didn’t dare. My mind raced with possibilities and outcomes and I called out to the darkness for guidance.

What do I do? What do I do?

Then the answer came to me from the blackest depths of thought; Do what comes naturally...let your instinct guide you.

It was more ambiguous than I would have liked but decided I would obey. I drew on the Force to protect me, and when the beast nudged me again, my fingertips lazed over its back and it met my gaze with enraptured eyes.

The creature stood over me, but as I moved to rise from the altar it shifted to one side, allowing me to move. I sat with my legs dangling off the edge of the altar and extended my hand to it. When the creature dropped its face against my palm and closed its eyes, I looked over at Vowrawn and Taxon.

Vowrawn’s expression was one of utter astonishment and he turned to Taxon and extended his hand in concession. “Well played my friend, I bow to your superior gamesmanship…it seems you have just come into possession of the galaxy’s finest ritualist and a unique apprentice.”

My finger’s played over the creature’s cheek and a low warble came alive in its throat. It butted its head against my hand, urging my affection and when I rewarded it, it rubbed its chin against my skin, scent marking my hands and knees.

Vowrawn, still camouflaged within the Force, descended from the dais and approached me, careful to remain beyond its sense of smell.

Taxon followed. “Command the beast to the temple entrance…apprentice,” he spat the last so grudgingly he might as well have been spitting out poison.

Vowrawn’s single nod implied I should obey.

“Go to the temple…I’ll follow,” I said.

The Beast of Noghri Fels nuzzled me and took in my scent. Through the dust, sand, and stone, the creature kept its flattened snout pressed to the ground, following some undetectable trail and I followed it, the two Sith behind me still camouflaged within the Force.

We followed the beast over dunes and lakes of rippling sand, well beyond the tent city until it stopped and pawed the ground. It leapt eagerly, yowling and digging until a marker with an ancient seal manifested. I knelt over the spot and swept the sand off the sigil with my fingertips, and blew across it to clear the dusty residue still clinging to it.

“Most impressive. How many teams and how many Sith have spent lifetimes searching for this…” Vowrawn clapped his hands together. He tossed me the ritual dagger. “A sacrifice is required, my boy.”

Taking his meaning I cut my palm and dripped my blood into the sigil. Not ten meters before us, the ground rumbled and groaned as two massive slabs pulled apart to reveal a set of stairs. Sand shifted and dribbled into the opening and a blast of cool air raised my skin with goose pimples.

The beast and I raced forward, skipping every other step as we descended into the temple. A choral of whispers rose from the chamber as we approached—a sound my mind welcomed—and for the first time in my life, I felt like I was home. The sinuating darkness coiled around me, unseen, but no less felt and I revelled in the joy of discovery.

The sconces lining the temple roared to life like celebratory fireworks. I crept forward, with the beast at my side, the two Sith nearly forgotten. I roamed further and the dusty red rock gave way to gleaming obsidian columns and massive walls adorned with inky skulls.

A pair of ornate aurodium doors beckoned to me and parted at my approach. Another seal demanded another sacrifice. My blood bought us entry and I strode into the temple with its massive stone altar and holocron filled walls—lifetimes of knowledge. I felt a presence, first near then distant, watching and evaluating me.

I stood in the center of the temple, filthy and clad only in the wrappings girding my loins—a beggar lord finally introduced to his legacy.

I ran my hand along the edge of the altar and at once a flood of images coursed through my mind’s eye…generations of men and women joined in carnal acts of creation. I saw my parents and the moment of my own conception, and then that of my own child and my child’s child and those that came after. Though they were strangers to me by appearance and name, in that moment, I recognized them all as my kin.

The visions blurred and I felt a presence rise up across from me—a wraith clad in rich armours blacker than the void.

“Progeny of Septimus Tacitus…I am Tulak Hord, First Master of the Gathering Darkness and Lord of Hatred…”

I knelt before the spirit. “I’m Ares Marr…and I’ve been looking for you for a long time, sir.”

“Son of my son…” The wraith lifted my chin and stared down at me and I was no longer chilled. “Delivered by my faithful Sithspawn…”

“But how?”

“He can smell blood connections…our bloodline.”

My mind was full to brimming with more questions and curiosities, but before I could speak them, the Wraith vanished and then I saw why.

No longer hidden by the Force, Taxon stalked into the chamber, Vowrawn trailing behind him.

“Get up…” Taxon snarled. “I see nothing of value here…I’ve no use for empty rooms.”

“But they’re not empty…” I protested, scrambling to my feet. How could he not see the rows upon rows of gleaming colourful holocrons? How could he not feel their power thrumming in the chamber?

Vowrawn eyed me shrewdly but said nothing.

The Sithspawn beast snarled and leapt at Taxon.

“No!” I cried. I saw the next few seconds unfold before they happened but was helpless to stop them.

The familiar growl of the lightsaber I’d owned all too briefly echoed in the chamber, followed by a ghastly yelp and a thud as the beast fell to the floor.

I ran to the creature and threw myself to the floor and cradled its head during its final moments.

The beast twitched and then its body grew slack and still. A moment later it vanished in my arms and I stared up at Taxon and swore in that moment that I would do whatever it took to kill my master.

((To be continued…))

Author's note:

When the tomb was discovered I was listening to CheValiers de Sangreal from The Da Vinci Code soundtrack and felt it fit well with young Marr's discovery. That piece of music always moves me to tears. :o

Edited by Lunafox

Well played, Vowrawn, well played. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. Marr's apprenticeship, and his true introduction into the Sith life should be quite interesting and I'm sure this is not the last we will see of Vowrawn and his schemes. Good Job, Luna. :D

I'm still catching up, but I really like young Marr's voice in this. There's a hint of youth and naivete, but it also carries a sense of all the weight, history, and gravitas of what we know about Marr as players. It's captured very well.

I think I'm liking this story the best out of all of your works. :)

Well played, Vowrawn, well played. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. Marr's apprenticeship, and his true introduction into the Sith life should be quite interesting and I'm sure this is not the last we will see of Vowrawn and his schemes. Good Job, Luna. :D

Vowrawn is a lot of fun and what a sneaky devil. I'm pretty sure that Vowrawn will weave his wave through the story. He's a handy guy to know, so long as he's on your side :D I'm glad you're enjoying the story. ^^

I'm still catching up, but I really like young Marr's voice in this. There's a hint of youth and naivete, but it also carries a sense of all the weight, history, and gravitas of what we know about Marr as players. It's captured very well.

I think I'm liking this story the best out of all of your works. :)

Thank you :D It's a challenge and a fine balance between his dialogue which is young Marr, and his narration which is his older self. I'm thrilled that it's working out, cause I have moments when I want to tear my hair out lol. I'm glad you're enjoying the story and that it's your favorite :D

Edited by Lunafox