The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Species please

yca_mtl

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I really need an Ugnaught, who I can roll as an Assassin, thereby fulfilling the deranged rantings of that crazy man on the Big Boom Run on Ord Mantell.

:D

I'd also roll a Rodian, a Weequay and a Mon Cala. If they ever give them to us. Which I doubt.

as a new player i'm pretty underwhelmed by the lack of options for species a player can choose from. could we please have some common and popular species added so i can spend my money on something? :p

main playable republic characters:

Cereans (Ki Adi Mundi)

Niktos (Ima Gun Di)

Tholothians (Stass Allie)

Nautolans

Rodians

as playable empire characters:

Trandoshans

Duros

Zygerrians (slave trader empire in the days of the old Republic according to Clone Wars)

thanks

They have stated in the past they aren't going to change the voice actors from the original eight stories, so I think any race that doesn't speak basic and can sound "human" is out as a PC (which bums me because I want my Jawa Sith Marauder sooooo bad ~lol~).

However, even this limitation still leaves a LOT of Star Wars species out there we could still get, like Nautolans and Bothans and dare I even suggest it....Gungans ~smile~. There really are a LOT of Star Wars races out there.

They have stated in the past they aren't going to change the voice actors from the original eight stories, so I think any race that doesn't speak basic and can sound "human" is out as a PC (which bums me because I want my Jawa Sith Marauder sooooo bad ~lol~).

They could just modulate the voices into a higher register to make the sound for voices of small species.

However, even this limitation still leaves a LOT of Star Wars species out there we could still get, like Nautolans and Bothans and dare I even suggest it....Gungans ~smile~. There really are a LOT of Star Wars races out there.

Pretty sure all of those can speak basic mate, Thank Clone Wars for making Rodian, Trandoshans, Sullustans, and others speaking basic CANON. Not to mention EU has other examples like a Basic Speaking Jawa Jedi.

The only one of the ones he mentioned i'm not certain of is the Duros, and even then i'm willing to bet they can.

Edit: duh, Cad Bane, Duros being able to speak basic is also Canon.

Edited by Jawa_Trooper

I'd be more interested in new species if there was more to it than just a set of graphics. As it is currently, if I create a Pureblood Jedi or a Cathar anything, there's no special dialog compared to what does happen with Chiss on Hoth. A Cathar Trooper gets the exact same dialog a non-Cathar gets from Jorgan as if they have no idea about thier own species. I do understand that the racial unlocks were a later addition and it'd be too much work for effort compared to the other things that get done for the game, but it just doesn't make me fired up to roll up a Pureblood Smuggler if I can't have them bluff being a Sith, or a Cathar not being treated as clueless by other Cathar.

I'd be more interested in new species if there was more to it than just a set of graphics. As it is currently, if I create a Pureblood Jedi or a Cathar anything, there's no special dialog compared to what does happen with Chiss on Hoth. A Cathar Trooper gets the exact same dialog a non-Cathar gets from Jorgan as if they have no idea about thier own species. I do understand that the racial unlocks were a later addition and it'd be too much work for effort compared to the other things that get done for the game, but it just doesn't make me fired up to roll up a Pureblood Smuggler if I can't have them bluff being a Sith, or a Cathar not being treated as clueless by other Cathar.

It's more general than just the add-on species (Cathar / Toggies) and the species available for a class by unlock.

Imperial Agents can be Rattataki without the player having to unlock them, and yet no NPC who says "the Rattataki" to your Rattataki Agent will be talking about the Agent. They always mean Kaliyo. After an NPC says, "The Rattataki must wait outside," a Rattataki Agent does not get an option to say, "OK, Kaliyo, you go ahead, then. I'll wait here, like the man said."

It's more general than just the add-on species (Cathar / Toggies) and the species available for a class by unlock.

Imperial Agents can be Rattataki without the player having to unlock them, and yet no NPC who says "the Rattataki" to your Rattataki Agent will be talking about the Agent. They always mean Kaliyo. After an NPC says, "The Rattataki must wait outside," a Rattataki Agent does not get an option to say, "OK, Kaliyo, you go ahead, then. I'll wait here, like the man said."

I didn' t know about that one. Mostly I was coming from the viewpoint of I'd like something more with the varying species beyond just the species look because for me at least, there's little incentive to choose anything other than what I already have available in options because there's nothing different/new to be explored. For an example, in WoW, I have played the starter area of each species just to see how they are, but usually end up deleting the character afterwards because it's only there where it's going to be different and afterwards there won't be anything different beyond faction. A Forsaken's 'experience' is going to be the same as a Troll's and a Dwarf's going to be the same as a Night Elf's.