embarrassing

PulseRazor

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend new players pick a legion/warcarrier with railgun drone, seeker mines, and repair drone. It's quite useful in both modes and very easy to play. The railgun drone is an absolute nuisance for even top scout pilots.

Another useful thing new players can focus on is killing turrets in domination. This really does help your team a lot and gets you tons of requisition. The easiest way is probably by getting up to level 3 upgrade on slug railgun. Whenever I start a new toon I use the novadive/blackbolt and get the rocket pod armor piercing upgrade (1st tier) and try to kill as many turrets as I can. But it would be tough for a new player to pull that off. Interestingly, the starguard/rycer can actually be quite useful if you can manage to get the tier 4 upgrade of heavy lasers. Being able to quickly transport heavy laser cannons to a node might be the only purpose a strike has that no other ship can claim.

Edited by RickDagles

Although I understand how frustrating it can be for new players to go up against a vet, just like how much of a pain a GS/Bomber Ball can be to go up against, I don't think we should be letting ourselves be killed.

He did get me fair and square twice in a domination match when I first queued, where he came up behind me while my shields were flipped forward. But in the next match I protorped him as he passed by and so he came after me a several times and it simply didn't go well when he did.

Although, I don't play GSF that much anymore, cause it no longer pops in the day when I used to usually play, so I intend to dominate in matches whenever I do play.

It sucks if he is on the verge of quitting, but you have to get past that and keep learning.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Interestingly, the starguard/rycer can actually be quite useful if you can manage to get the tier 4 upgrade of heavy lasers. Being able to quickly transport heavy laser cannons to a node might be the only purpose a strike has that no other ship can claim.

This is a retarted suggestion wth are u thinking reccomend a newb to use the strike?? It is rubbish TBH

I just think issues including OP's feelings shouldn't be placed on the forums like this.

If he knows and approves of these posts, disregard my comments.

Fair question, which, obviously, had not occurred to me. But given the manner in which he began this thread (the palpable frustration and such), I don't think any of this would bother him.

That said, @OP - if you're uncomfortable with anything I posted, just let me know (in game or PM) and I'll delete it all.

I just think issues including OP's feelings shouldn't be placed on the forums like this.

If he knows and approves of these posts, disregard my comments.

Thanks, its okay.

As usual this community has been quite nice to me, even when I have been lamenting hard. I apologize to all of you for subjecting you to my whining, it was pretty bad the other night, and it wouldnt have been out of line to get upset with me - which no one did.

I guess I will share what made me so angry, I tried out a GS and just got vaped every time I lined up a shot. Eudoxia killed me half a dozen times a match, and I got caught in a few games where it was a bunch of scattered imps against a GS ball, and I dont have anything but a scout ship with decent enough upgrades to fly. Still, it was good to play a few games in a GS them because now I have a (very) basic understanding of what they do.

I did get a lot of tips last night on teamspeak, it was great, learned how to use the hud/target cam better, learned how well suited power dive was to my ship and playstyle.

I have also availed myself of some video capturing software, so now I can watch my matches after the fact. This seems like a good idea because it is hard to be objective in real-time, I tend to focus on my failures and not recognize the times when I show some progress. Maybe when I can stop making Really Dumb Mistakes I can share some on youtube so people can see man maybe comment.

I moved my main pilots to Harbinger, I can fly more now, and not against the same 6-8 people all night long.

BUT

If I dont see tangible results by the end of the weekend, I will know this is not the game for me, and I will quit. It isnt fun losing all the time, it isnt fun knowing that I am the reason the team loses, it isnt fun getting killed 10 times a game.

Edited by PulseRazor

I am almost ready to quit, uninstall and cancell sub.

Im just not getting good, and people are bullying me for 10 deaths a match, they see me and think: ill look super cool if I can get the most kills, and this guy is just giving them away, so the whole team gangs me

People talk about they want to help me and then they say: Do the Tutorial.

Read the guide on the forum

Watch this youtube video.

Aim for the center of the screen.

Do a barrel roll.

I have done all those things. It doesnet help.

Edited by PulseRazor

Off the wall suggestion: have you tried playing Freelancer? It's an older game from 2003, but the control scheme is exactly the same as GSF. While it's not as fluid and chaotic as actual pvp, the game does at least put you up against targets that will move, evade, and try to shoot back at you. There's also a much less steep learning curve to it, so you can hone some skills in a pve environment and bring them back to GSF. Picking parts and using requisition can be learned from guides (which are essential to learning from others' successes) and common sense - it's the actual flying piece that requires you to practice. I'd agree that you're probably not getting much practice if you keep getting insta-killed, so maybe give this a try.

Off the wall suggestion: have you tried playing Freelancer? It's an older game from 2003, but the control scheme is exactly the same as GSF. While it's not as fluid and chaotic as actual pvp, the game does at least put you up against targets that will move, evade, and try to shoot back at you. There's also a much less steep learning curve to it, so you can hone some skills in a pve environment and bring them back to GSF. Picking parts and using requisition can be learned from guides (which are essential to learning from others' successes) and common sense - it's the actual flying piece that requires you to practice. I'd agree that you're probably not getting much practice if you keep getting insta-killed, so maybe give this a try.

Thats a really good comment. Do you think if bioware made pve content for gsf it would bring more people into the pvp matchs? We would know what to do more, how the controls worked. Your supposed to target stuff? no wonder I never got any hits. If more people got used to flying maybe they would pvp vov.

It's difficult to say, because you never know what people are going to bite into and enjoy. Take the rails system pve space battles in SWTOR, which were niche at best, and then went the way of the dinosaurs when Bioware reduced the value of the mission rewards. If a much, much, much better GSF trainer were developed, it would certainly assist the community in training new players - hell, maybe you could get requisition from the trainer (up to a limit), so that your first experiences in pvp weren't so rough. It would also put us on par with ground pvp, which has the entirety of the game to assist players in learning to play and practice in a pve environment. For those who really wanted to jump in and learn, this would tremendously reduce the learning curve and frustration of starting in GSF.

As it is, I feel you and the OP's pain. I've been flying since launch, and rolled a couple of new toons recently; intentionally keeping their ships non-META or at the starting, 2-ship level, just to experiment with it. Just through the nature of how slowly you gain requisition, it took a good 40-50 matches per ship before I felt like I could really compete with them against other veterans on tough teams. This was frustrating to be sure, but what made it bearable was my ability to fly in the first place.

My recommendation: if there's any part of GSF that you do like, hang in there and focus on learning to fly - either by going off on your own during matches (or even the maligned tutorial), trying out a pve flight sim like Freelancer, or gleaning what you can from others. It makes the grind to level your ships much easier to take, and once you get over the hump, this is an extremely fun game to play against others.