WOW Lineage 1 Tera Swtor Blade and Soul

Docthebutcher

How can we be 4th in pay to play?

Well we all know WOWs numbers they tell us all the time ...

I know the numbers in Lineage 1 and it is under a million....Tera is half of Lineage 1 which is around 350,000 at best SUBs

Then swtor which is at BEST 300,000 ...How does a 18 year old game that is ONLY in Korea beat something called STAR WARS.....that's saying something for loyalism for Lineage 1 which err most Americans couldnt play it is insanely hardcore and yes i did play it just before lineage 2 was released in America...which was also a grinder from hell but PVP was awesome and killing your own clan mates if they acted a fool...in Lineage 2 running ones mouth like people do in swtor meant you would be farmed with no mercy . I made a comment that in nearly 2 years NO one ever killed my Destroyer outside of castle sieges that had a screen shot to prove it..

OPPS i soon had bot groups hunting me down to get that elusive screen shot of my DEAD DESTROYER

I ran my mouth in chat and they were out to prove a point.

Oddly after 2 weeks of trying to level with my Destroyer SMASH ( lvl 75 ) and my Prophet Little Miss Muffet was LvL 70 or 71 I was attempting to level and here a bot train game setting up fully buffing another Destroyer with full Prophet Buffs full bladedancer and sword singer Buffs and multi Bishop healers ...I auto logged my Prophet stood there as the other Destroyer hit and hit my Destroyer for some time as it isnt easy to kill one and at 300 HP i used a instant escape scroll to live on....but that was enough I just quit the game...

err point is HOW does a 18 year old game BEAT STAR WARS???

In chat they say we have millions playing but most servers are as barren as most swtor players sex life...sadly including mine at the moment since my wife is very very sick.

Bring all your tongue lashings...yes I am horrible chat warrior...

The math makes no sense though....18 year old game stomps 4.3 year old game....

I dont care anymore ....just bored....

Be Safe one and all remember love your neighbor do not hate for empty reasons

With great love and respect...

LEN

Both TERA and Lineage are big in Korea / China, and WoW is available there as well.

The thing to remember is that the Asia-Pacific Market brings in roughly twice the MMO revenue of the North America and Western Europe Markets combined.

So yeah, games that are popular in Asia are going to have a leg up in terms of global revenue, even if those same games are relatively unknown in the West.

SWTOR is actually the only game to make that list that doesn't have a Chinese or Korean version available.

Edited by DarthDymond

I don't know what to tell you dude. I'd be inclined to think that Koreans and Asians in general are extremely game crazy, they devour MMO's and if there's one that really has their hook then I'm not surprised the numbers for it would be so outrageous. At least that's the impression I tend to get from the Asian gamer base and I'm not aware of much SWTOR revenue existing for Asians. I know we have the Euro and NA servers but I haven't seen one dedicated to Asia.

When accounting for disparities of the nature you're discussing, it's important to remember cultural differences play a hand in things. If Lineage is doing that well after 18 years, there's a solid rationale to be accessed that points towards simple brand loyalty & comfort.

World of Warcraft remains subscriber-only after 12 years (it'll turn 12 in November of this year). It is, to date, the ONLY American MMO that's still thriving on a huge level, and remains solely subscription-based. I'm not positive it can keep that up for more than another 2-3 years (tops), but for now, it is.

In general, MMOs seem to be a niche product in computer gaming right now. People want SOME sense of community and multiplayer, but an MMO by its nature is a timesink as well as a money sink (particularly if they use microtransactions to shore up subscription numbers).

MMOs take a LONG time to die in almost every case (there have been one or two in the past few years which died quick deaths). They often go into solely "maintenance mode" for a year or two before they die, during which no new content is being created for the game, but there's still enough revenue coming in to justify keeping the servers running. Only when there's at least a fiscal quarter's worth of active financial loss will a game studio start thinking about scuttling a game.

Right now The Old Republic is the only Star Wars MMO happening. Brand loyalty to not only Star Wars but to BioWare is keeping it afloat. BioWare is known for story-based RPGs, and their metrics have apparently shown them that players in SWTOR are engaging with the story content more than endgame raiding or PvP, which is why all our new content is now about story. THAT'S what people are telling BioWare they'll stick around for, and they're telling BioWare that by logging into the game and engaging with it.

If a new Star Wars subscription-only MMO comes along, particularly one that lets players engage with the new consolidated timeline (SWTOR is based off the "Extended Universe", which is no longer canonical since Disney purchased LucasFilm; all of that EU content got shuffled over into an "alternate timeline" set called "Star Wars Legends"), there's a good chance that TOR will finally die out. I haven't heard of anyone working on developing such an MMO, and the fact that BioWare continues to support this game (and develop new content for it) is an indication that their overlords at Electronic Arts aren't seeing the game as a loss: it's still generating revenue, whether from subscriptions (to get the new content) or from Cartel Coin purchases.

I think fans are often convinced that the existence of a new MMO automatically means the "death" of whatever MMO(s) were present at the time. The market has repeatedly shown there's room for more than one thriving MMO in the AAA class.

SWTOR doesn't seem likely to go anywhere any time soon.

Didn't we JUST go over this thing with the Asian user numbers in the giant "game is dead" thread?

But.. there's still bits of meat on this horse.... so it must be flogged some more. :p

Most players are absent any clue about how the MMO market works in Asia, and how and why it is so large... even though it has been discussed here in this forum many times. :)

Both TERA and Lineage are big in Korea / China, and WoW is available there as well.

The thing to remember is that the Asia-Pacific Market brings in roughly twice the MMO revenue of the North America and Western Europe Markets combined.

So yeah, games that are popular in Asia are going to have a leg up in terms of global revenue, even if those same games are relatively unknown in the West.

SWTOR is actually the only game to make that list that doesn't have a Chinese or Korean version available.

Still flawed data in analysing trends ... NZ/Aus do not belong in that category, they would be more akin to the NA market in terms of taste ... not sure where India fits into that pattern too.

Lineage and Tera are very popular to Asian audiences would be a more accurate statement. Also I believe you will find there is a far bigger lack of games in general available to those audiences ( especially China ) meaning less options will lure people inevitably towards certain games.

Not to mention the data there is well over a year old now and has no real analysis of gamers in general regardless of if it's MMO or not. Point being here if western audiences have access to 10 times more games than that of Asian audiences it already goes a long way to explaining why more is spent on MMOs in those regions.

A more interesting analysis would be on gaming in general and breaking it down from there.

But.. there's still bits of meat on this horse.... so it must be flogged some more. :p

Most players are absent any clue about how the MMO market works in Asia, and how and why it is so large... even though it has been discussed here in this forum many times. :)

Enlighten us oh wise one.

WoW, Lineage and Tera are still very popular in Asia, there are many crazed hardcore players in Asian countries that are stilling playing these MMO. I believe the number of MMO players alone in China is easily few times more than US. And this is before considering the number of players from other Asian countries\region like Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. The South East Asian countries especially has a large population and many are into online gaming these days. But perhaps due to hardware limitation or what, many of the aged P2P MMO still do very well in these regions and easy to profit from due to the large amount of player base these countries have..